Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Affirmative Action and all that jazz

How come Latinos are eligible for special treatment? And asians and anyone else who isn't the decendants of slaves? I get helping out the AA community. They've been in the country from the beginning, helped build it, fought in all of our wars, and have historically been treated unfairly (slavery, Jim Crow, etc) But have the latinos and the rest had it any harder than any other immigrant group? The Irish and Slavics weren't treated with open arms. Why do you think they call it a paddy wagon?

You cannot make logical arguments to a liberal audience. They will just implode and want to start protesting something. Anything.

Stop complaining and allow ups to constantly inundate you with the constant acceptance and normalization of Latino affirmative action until your brain turns to cottage cheese. Only then can you begin to see the flaws in your previous way of thinking.

What makes you think Asians don't get affirmative action benefits?

AA is not exclusively about reparations for historic inequality. It also seeks to promote diversity, which is thought to improve society through increased interactions between groups that might otherwise remain functionally segregated. Moreover, it seeks to overcome implicit bias, which keeps the majority in positions of power.

Whether those goal are more important than the downsides of AA ("reverse" racisms, lower standards, etc.) is debatable. :dunno:

AA is not exclusively about reparations for historic inequality. It also seeks to promote diversity, which is thought to improve society through increased interactions between groups that might otherwise remain functionally segregated. Moreover, it seeks to overcome implicit bias, which keeps the majority in positions of power.

Whether those goal are more important than the downsides of AA ("reverse" racisms, lower standards, etc.) is debatable. :dunno:

What percentage is about reparations for blacks?

Don't know, and don't think there is a correct answer to your question.

You said it’s not exclusively about reparations. I’m curious what your feeling is on the reparations part of AA.

You said it’s not exclusively about reparations. I’m curious what your feeling is on the reparations part of AA.

I'm telling you, I'm not sure. And don't really care, as I think reparations are a bad argument for affirmative action. But I don't believe affirmative action is as widespread as some of you believe.

I'm telling you, I'm not sure. And don't really care, as I think reparations are a bad argument for affirmative action. But I don't believe affirmative action is as widespread as some of you believe.

Is that fact or opinion?

Still don't know why anyone but decendants of slaves should get any consideration beyond their talents. Some guy comes here from China or Columbia and he gets any sort of preferential treatment? Why? What did this country ever do to them?

Some people are more equal than others. Just show up and cut to the front of the line.

White people that have don't mind sh*tting on white people who don't and are happy to call them racist and bigots for simply wanting equality.

• Like 1

Some people are more equal than others. Just show up and cut to the front of the line.

White people that have don't mind sh*tting on white people who don't and are happy to call them racist and bigots for simply wanting equality.

I'm not sure to whom you refer, but I didn't grow up privileged and still can recognize some merit to AA.

I think it depends on what we are talking about, it has been demonstrated that AA policies tend to hurt Asians more than help them. Asians are high-performers, that puts them in the cross-hairs of SJW's and anyone less fortunate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/04/us/harvard-asian-admission.html

I'm not sure to whom you refer, but I didn't grow up privileged and still can recognize some merit to AA.

The goal is and should be equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes.

I use to be fine with talk of 'diversity.' I thought that's how I felt. I support diversity. I support the judging of people based on "the content of character, not the color of their skin" concept fully. Yeah, that's my take. I like diversity.

That worked because I also think 'colorblindness' was an admirable goal and one I prided myself on. I thought that was safe footing. Then, when I found out that 'colorblindness' was also a concept that the left considers racist, I was done. It was on. Then, in that context, diversity and multiculturalism took on a sinister meaning.

These people see some racist/sexist boogeyman oppressing people everywhere. If such a thing existed it's long gone. But now the leftist cultural elite have become the oppression monster instead, taking on the role of societal bully and discriminating against the people they claim discriminated against minorities. So that's when I determined that all that happy talk of 'diversity' and 'multiculturalism' was fake. So now, every time I hear talk of 'diversity' and their 'multiculturalism' I hear "anti-white privilege is great' and want to shove it up the speakers' asses.

If we start talking or reuniting the concept of diversity and colorblindness, I'm still there. I've never left.

I believe implies it's an opinion.

Then why do you speak of it as fact? You want others to respect your opinion based on your life circumstances but discredit others opinions based on their life experiences.

Then why do you speak of it as fact? You want others to respect your opinion based on your life circumstances but discredit others opinions based on their life experiences.

When data exists, I use it. In this case, I don’t think there is an objective answer to your question, so all I can offer is an opinion. :dunno:

The goal is and should be equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes.

I use to be fine with talk of 'diversity.' I thought that's how I felt. I support diversity. I support the judging of people based on "the content of character, not the color of their skin" concept fully. Yeah, that's my take. I like diversity.

That worked because I also think 'colorblindness' was an admirable goal and one I prided myself on. I thought that was safe footing. Then, when I found out that 'colorblindness' was also a concept that the left considers racist, I was done. It was on. Then, in that context, diversity and multiculturalism took on a sinister meaning.

These people see some racist/sexist boogeyman oppressing people everywhere. If such a thing existed it's long gone. But now the leftist cultural elite have become the oppression monster instead, taking on the role of societal bully and discriminating against the people they claim discriminated against minorities. So that's when I determined that all that happy talk of 'diversity' and 'multiculturalism' was fake. So now, every time I hear talk of 'diversity' and their 'multiculturalism' I hear "anti-white privilege is great' and want to shove it up the speakers' asses.

If we start talking or reuniting the concept of diversity and colorblindness, I'm still there. I've never left.

I agree with much of what you say, except two major differences: 1. Equality of opportunity doesn’t exist. 2. I still believe women and minorities are widely discriminated against, to a much greater extent than the racist/sexist boogeyman is invoked.

I agree with much of what you say, except two major differences: 1. Equality of opportunity doesn’t exist. 2. I still believe women and minorities are widely discriminated against, to a much greater extent than the racist/sexist boogeyman is invoked.

1) i know that's the goal I'd like to see us move to rectifying as a society.

2) So far as it exists, I'd like to see it gone as well. But I do disagree that it's not as big a problem as the reverse discrimination and language policing, shaming, and such that it has enabled, which I hope, in turn, that you would agree has went to far.

WTF? Does this really affect you persoally? You know I think you all just like to b1tch. I seriously doubt affirmitive action has ever hindered anyone here. I seriously doubt it has limited anyones paycheck or ability to get a job.

Just like the tax thing, I doubt most on here even pay taxes. Between the kids, the 401k, and the mortgage, none yas make enough to pay anything. You all just like to whine like a bunch of old women in menopause lol.

1) i know that's the goal I'd like to see us move to rectifying as a society.

2) So far as it exists, I'd like to see it gone as well. But I do disagree that it's not as big a problem as the reverse discrimination and language policing, shaming, and such that it has enabled, which I hope, in turn, that you would agree has went to far.

1. I don't think we'll reach that goal organically. It goes against many basic aspects of human nature - we tend to trust/like those similar to ourselves, and distrust/fear people that are different.

2. Some of the shaming has gone too far, but I also think our society is pretty paternalistic, misogynistic and racist.

WTF? Does this really affect you persoally? You know I think you all just like to b1tch. I seriously doubt affirmitive action has ever hindered anyone here. I seriously doubt it has limited anyones paycheck or ability to get a job.

Just like the tax thing, I doubt most on here even pay taxes. Between the kids, the 401k, and the mortgage, none yas make enough to pay anything. You all just like to whine like a bunch of old women in menopause lol.

The topic is being discussed at a meta-level regarding what constitutes a fair and just and fair society rather than a micro-level like when igotworms had his activist bubble pop when he got told the position he was applying for was a diversity hire position. He took it better than I would have because he's an indoctrinated lemming whereas I've been vaccinated.

1. I don't think we'll reach that goal organically. It goes against many basic aspects of human nature - we tend to trust/like those similar to ourselves, and distrust/fear people that are different.

2. Some of the shaming has gone too far, but I also think our society is pretty paternalistic, misogynistic and racist.

We disagree big time on #2. This is a, possibly the, major point of a lot of identity politics and activists in universities, and I, well, don't respect the scholarship. At all.

As for #1 I'm less pessimistic than you are and I think that the first step with than begins by stopping judging people based on race.

Right, but 'reverse racism' should not even be a term. It's flat out racism any way you look at it. Obama created a massive regression in the area of positive race relations. He tore this country apart. Either that, or he exposed the racism that exists against Caucasians in this country.

The political left plan was using their race dividing platform in the hopes that they would get most of the hispanic and black vote but still retain their number of white votes. They have been so aggressive over the years in shaming white people every chance they get, this including people like me who never had a racist thought in my lifetime.

The left then also said to themselves "let's shame all men by calling them misogynistic if they don't agree with our political stances". Well that backfired and we saw on hillary's sour puss face that it almost killed her to lose because she is nothing without her little power chair. That is what you deserve hillary for causing so much hatred and pushing so heavily to instill it in the youth of this country.

Now every person that voted for her or good ol bernie resort to calling any white person they see that isn't marching on Washington holding a poster of a bloody vagina, a misogynist. And any white person that isn't holding a poster of a cop with a red circle with and ex through it a racist.

See ya hillary, and see ya obama. What a waste of humanity.

• Like 3

At-least they (Japanese) were actually victimized by Americans during WW2. Unlike this other group of people that love to play the victim card.

Any group of people that can successfully portray themselves as a victim of majority America, meaning white male dominated America, is going to be given hero status by the Left.

Right, but 'reverse racism' should not even be a term. It's flat out racism any way you look at it. Obama created a massive regression in the area of positive race relations. He tore this country apart. Either that, or he exposed the racism that exists against Caucasians in this country.

The political left plan was using their race dividing platform in the hopes that they would get most of the hispanic and black vote but still retain their number of white votes. They have been so aggressive over the years in shaming white people every chance they get, this including people like me who never had a racist thought in my lifetime.

The left then also said to themselves "let's shame all men by calling them misogynistic if they don't agree with our political stances". Well that backfired and we saw on hillary's sour puss face that it almost killed her to lose because she is nothing without her little power chair. That is what you deserve hillary for causing so much hatred and pushing so heavily to instill it in the youth of this country.

Now every person that voted for her or good ol bernie resort to calling any white person they see that isn't marching on Washington holding a poster of a bloody vagina, a misogynist. And any white person that isn't holding a poster of a cop with a red circle with and ex through it a racist.

See ya hillary, and see ya obama. What a waste of humanity.

Excellent post :thumbsup:

Any group of people that can successfully portray themselves as a victim of majority America, meaning white male dominated America, is going to be given hero status by the Left.

I can't see this happening. The left will either straighten out, mature, and re-calibrate their message or continue to paint cis white men as the villain throughout our lifetimes.

Realize that they are the real social and political power elite. They can say and do anything they want, not the beaten, cowed, denounced, and brainwashed limp white men. And they're using their power and influence to do to the very things to white men what they claim white men are doing to them.

I can't see this happening. The left will either straighten out, mature, and re-calibrate their message or continue to paint cis white men as the villain throughout our lifetimes.

Realize that they are the real social and political power elite. They can say and do anything they want, not the beaten, cowed, denounced, and brainwashed limp white men. And they're using their power and influence to do to the very things to white men what they claim white men are doing to them.

I gotta say, Im done with their ilk for the foreseeable future. They have gone completely focking insane. This Kavanaugh thing is an absolute perversion.

William Fitzsimmons, the 30-year dean of admissions, who oversees the screening process of about 40,000 applicants and narrows them down to 2,000 acceptance letters that are handed out each year, testified that African-Americans, Native Americans, and Hispanic high schoolers with mid-range SAT scores out of a possible 1600 combined math and verbal, are sent recruitment letters with a score as low as 1100, whereas Asian-Americans need to score at least 250 points higher – 1350 for women and 1380 for men.

“That’s race discrimination, plain and simple,” argued John Hughes, a lawyer for SFFA.

“It is not,” Fitzsimmons shot back, adding that the school targets certain groups to “break the cycle” and convince students who normally wouldn’t consider applying to the Ivy League school.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/harvard-discrimination-trial-reveals-ivy-league-schools-different-sat-standards-for-asian-americans

If you base the admissions on their RACE then it is RACISM, you ignorant little sh!tbag.....

The plaintiffs say internal data shows Asian-American applicants are rated lower on personal metrics, despite outperforming white applicants in other areas. SFFA argues that Harvard effectively uses a quota to cap the percentage of Asian-American admissions, and that the school engages in “racial balancing” to maintain a certain racial breakdown on campus.

To remedy this, SFFA argues that Harvard, and ultimately all colleges, should no longer consider race in its admissions process, and that Supreme Court rulings in support of affirmative action have “been built on mistakes of fact and law.”

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/18/17984108/harvard-asian-americans-affirmative-action-racial-discrimination

I hope they kill AA, and I mean just destroy it.....

AA is a joke and one of the reasons JFK was a sh!t president.

I find it hard to get mad at JFK for this since he was dealing with REAL racial discrimination against minorities in his presidency and Affirmative Action, while his idea, didn't come to be and solidify into reverse discrimination until LBJ's administration.

The 60s were a total sh*t decade. One good thing that come out of it though was civil rights although AA went too far. Hopefully this court case is the death kneel of it.

Blacks only. Nobody made the others come here. Take a hike if you don't like it. Ok, "Native" Americans too.

Why do you think they call it a paddy wagon?

Interesting story there. The Paddy wagon actually has nothing to do with the Irish. At least not originally. You see, the Asians were treated even worse than the African Americans. It's true, you can look it up. Blacks were granted Universal citizenship long before Asians were. Again, you can look this up.

Former slaves tell stories about making food from the worst cuts of what the master provided them along with whatever grains and fruits and vegetables. What were the Asian work Lord's going to throw their workers? Spare railroad parts? They received literally nothing for free from primarily The Rail lines. Everything had to be purchased at The Compny Store. Which created indentured servitude for enTire Generations. In other words, slaves.

Those Asians that left work camps? Struck out to grow rice and other things on their own. When the work Lords found out about this they would send posses to round up the Errant workers. However, the horses could not make it in the Deep Waters of the rice paddies. and if they could? They certainly couldn't haul out vast numbers of Asians at one time.

In order to round up the workers, the Paddy wagon was created. A lightweight, floating box with extra large Wheels that could Traverse the rice patties.

It wasn't until the Riots of 1892 in San Francisco and elsewhere that the paddy wagons were placed on double duty to round up vast quantities of Irish and other workers. Hence the Canard of the Paddy wagon being created for the Irish exclusively.

Canard. Sheez. Again you reach too far. It was started during the draft riots of 1863 In NY