Sign in to follow this  
MTSkiBum

Truck prices are ridiculous

My old crappy honda civic is getting to be over a decade old, and my wife's "newer" car is 10 years old this year.

My car is starting to have some issues, for example if you do not slam the car door shut as hard as you can it will leak all over the driver side seat when it rains, the AC/Heater fan works 9 days out of 10, the power locks quit working, etc. Mostly little annoyances, but i need to either start addressing them or get a newer vehicle.

We are debating replacing my car with a newer used vehicle so we are not in the position of having to replace both vehicles at the same time. We will need to replace one of our vehicles within the next 2 years. We need at least one reliable vehicle to make the 700 mile trip to el paso.

I want a vehicle i can keep for around 8-10 years, so i am thinking of getting something newer, maybe only 2-4 years old. Theoretically I am fine with either a truck or an SUV, but I need at least 8500 pound towing capacity and the SUV's with that tow capacity that are newer are way out of my price range.

I am actively looking for Toyota and Ford. I have ruled out both Nissan and Dodge due to reliability concerns. Chevy has not been ruled out completely yet.

I would like something under 24,000 and ideally under 20,000, but the pickings are slim in this price range and many of the lower mileage vehicles have multiple owners, were fleet vehicles, or were rentals.

Probably less than a 50% chance that i buy a vehicle this year, but i received good feedback 3 years ago with similar threads.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=442481

Buy new. 0% financing and a full warranty is the way to go.

Have a Toyota Highlander, 2015, and a Ford Explorer, 2012. Got the Toyota in October, 46k miles, for 30k. It's a limited, so it's loaded. Bought the Ford new. No major problems, 110k miles on it. Recommend both. Tires are expensive for both.

Have a Toyota Highlander, 2015, and a Ford Explorer, 2012. Got the Toyota in October, 46k miles, for 30k. It's a limited, so it's loaded. Bought the Ford new. No major problems, 110k miles on it. Recommend both. Tires are expensive for both.

The 2 main requirements are crew cab and 8500 pound towing capacity. I need at least a half ton with an engine upgrade.

I did configure both a Tundra and F-150, just too much money. Looks like at least 38k for an upgraded engine and crew cab. There is no way my wife would approve.

The 2 main requirements are crew cab and 8500 pound towing capacity. I need at least a half ton with an engine upgrade.

I have a 17 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. Tows a 6,500# boat/trailer really well. I believe max towing capacity is 10k.

Eta - never mind. Didnt read your last post that the f150 would be out of your price range.

This, I went through this 3 months ago. Used truck prices are through the roof. I'm not a big buy new guy but, you pretty much have to with trucks.

My 2007 Honda Civic is still going fine. It doesn't heat up like it used to and despite taking it to the dealership 4 times the red airbag light stays on all the time. Other than that it works fine. I even drive it from Georgia to New Jersey and back. I love my Hondi!

Wouldn't automatically rule out fleet and rentals. Enterprise generally has competitive prices and you know the vehicle has been regularly maintained and cleaned.

Its definitely worth a hard look. With financing still so cheap on a new vehicle it can tip the value scale in that direction.

I would buy a Toyota if I had a poos instead of a swinging deik.

I got my Hemi Ram with 7,000 miles on it for $24,000. Deals are out there if you take your time looking.

I got my Hemi Ram with 7,000 miles on it for $24,000. Deals are out there if you take your time looking.

Toyota >>> Dogde and it's not even close.

Your price range is going to be tough. If you want a newer truck with low miles you're going to have to move up to the 30k area

I prefer Japanese or American vehicles to European, Italian vehicles have an especially poor track record for reliability.

I admit i could buy a nice new Dodge for much cheaper than the other brands, but I plan on keeping it for many years.

New Civics are some of the best cars on the road in both style and function.

For trucks absolutely Toyota.

I only looked at crewcabs and all prices include TT&L.

I was quoted 32k for the base model f-150 with 2.7L Ecoboost, 35k for the 5.0L base model f-150, and 39k for the 5.7 L base model tundra.

I think I will drive my crappy old car for another year.

I'm mixed on this. I always heard this growing up and I take care of my vehicles.

Its definitely worth a hard look. With financing still so cheap on a new vehicle it can tip the value scale in that direction.

What if you can pay cash money for it straight up? Then where does the value go. Obviously straight into the 2 or 3 year old vehicle.

I'm mixed on this. I always heard this growing up and I take care of my vehicles.

What if you can pay cash money for it straight up? Then where does the value go. Obviously straight into the 2 or 3 year old vehicle.

Probably but keep in mind you could invest that money and earn a 6 or 7% rate of return (on average). Compare that to 0% interest on the new car loan and you technically could be better off buying the new car.

Of course the new car will cost more overall (but less maintenance initially) and this assumes you actually invest the money.

New Civics are some of the best cars on the road in both style and function.

For SMALL trucks absolutely Toyota.

I agree here, but on big boys, Ford 250 still is the cream of the crop imo, and most affordable F series

https://www.carmax.com/car/15000449

something like this work?

That is 5 years old, I could get a 2018 that meets my needs for 7k more. This is one of the better used vehicles that i have seen which kind of proves the point that it might be better to buy new.

I went to 4 different dealers today and the conclusion i reached is that i will put up with my crappy old civic for the time being. Maybe there will be some good year end deals.

That is 5 years old, I could get a 2018 that meets my needs for 7k more. This is one of the better used vehicles that i have seen which kind of proves the point that it might be better to buy new.

I went to 4 different dealers today and the conclusion i reached is that i will put up with my crappy old civic for the time being. Maybe there will be some good year end deals.

true i didnt know the year you were looking, but I put under 40k miles

if you go new though eventually, ask them about their demos

I got a 2017 Explorer with 4800 miles, fully loaded all black with black rims and almost all the bells and whistles still eligible for new car rebates and additional factory rebates for demos

The sticker on the same car not demo was 44,500. I got out the door for 27