Sign in to follow this  
Law

How irrational are you with a loss?

By all accounts, I'm having my best start ever across 4 leagues. But, I'm going to pickup my first loss in one league. I'll still be in first, but I really take losses hard. Pretty irrational since I'm not actually out there playing or am any other part of an actual team.

So, am I the only one, or do you too take these "losses" too hard as well?

Where do you end up being irrational? Are you tossing your computer against the wall? Are you hitting someone?

I get pretty heated at times. When Donnell had his 3 TD game against me, I was not a lot of fun to be around :lol:

In pissed till games start the following week

Same here. Usually pissed until free agents unlock for the following week.

Im in 4 leagues as well. Its frustrating at times. I guess I am in that number of leagues because I love FB that much.

I played in college and find myself needing a reason to watch any more (just turned 40) ... with 4 leagues I am usually in playoffs in half or sometimes all leagues... that keeps my interest.

From the movie themes... I like to think of "Highlander" and there can be "ONLY 1" motto. I was undefeated last year going into playoffs and ran into J Charles vs Oakland (5TD) AND Zac Stacy (had like 200yds and 2 TD ) .... and that was that,,,

There can be ONLY 1 ... and this is a lot of luck...

RB

The day I'm actually upset about a make believe football loss after the real games are done for the week, I'll quit playing.

The day I'm actually upset about a make believe football loss after the real games are done for the week, I'll quit playing.

No kidding - get a life.

No reason to get upset over a game that is all luck and you have no control over...

Sounds like a free or cheap league

Nope, just someone with their priorities in order.

Nope, just someone with their priorities in order.

Agreed that being irrational over a loss is ridiculous. But I love the elitist attitude from people who don't care about their fantasy team, even in a big money league. They always make leagues a ton of fun to compete in.

• Like 1

I play in 4 leagues and I set my expectation level appropriately. I generally hope to go 3-1 with the 4 teams. If I go 1-3, I may be slightly annoyed but remember as much as we all like to think we are guru's - we are NOT! Do we know more than most people - yes, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be 100% right. Am I right more often than not? Thankfully yes but I'd be lying if I said all my teams were undefeated and dominating the league. I have 3 teams in first and one team in last (this one is tough to swallow - but happens).

Agreed that being irrational over a loss is ridiculous. But I love the elitist attitude from people who don't care about their fantasy team, even in a big money league. They always make leagues a ton of fun to compete in.

You're equating dealing with a loss at something over which you have minimal control with not caring.

I do my homework before, after and throughout the season. I work the wire and offer trades to try and improve my team. I definitely care about my team and how I manage it. I owe it to myself and the league I'm in to do the best I can. My goal every year is to win my league.

But it's a game in which you are only tangentially involved. You might as well be upset that it rained.

It's realist, not elitist. Elitist is automatically assuming that someone that isn't overwrought about a fantasy football outcome is in either a "free or cheap league"

You're equating dealing with a loss at something over which you have minimal control with not caring.

I do my homework before, after and throughout the season. I work the wire and offer trades to try and improve my team. I definitely care about my team and how I manage it. I owe it to myself and the league I'm in to do the best I can. My goal every year is to win my league.

But it's a game in which you are only tangentially involved. You might as well be upset that it rained.

It's realist, not elitist. Elitist is automatically assuming that someone that isn't overwrought about a fantasy football outcome is in either a "free or cheap league"

Is it being a realist to suggest that people who gets upset after a loss don't have their priorities in order? Or are some people just more competitive than others?

Pretty damn irrational for about a day. Yesterday after sitting 4th in points for the week but getting my ass handed to me I started looking at high end keepers for next year who were drafted late and present value that I could trade for.

I'll be 3-4 with a first place tie at 5-2 with 2 teams. So 2 spots out of first and I am still currently in the playoffs... yet I am scouting for next year. SMH

• Like 1

Unless some crazy BS happens on field that costs me a win, I get over ff losses pretty quick. Just need enough wins to get into the playoffs.

With real football, I take Seahawks losses extremely hard. Like yesterday I just stopped watching or caring about football for the day. Drank a lot of Scotch.

Is it being a realist to suggest that people who gets upset after a loss don't have their priorities in order? Or are some people just more competitive than others?

Being competitive has little or nothing to do with irrational reaction to losing something over which you have so little control.

Do you get mad if your lottery ticket doesn't win?

Being competitive has little or nothing to do with irrational reaction to losing something over which you have so little control.

Do you get mad if your lottery ticket doesn't win?

We're not even arguing the same thing. I already said being irrational is ridiculous, since there's no reason to let it affect your life outside of fantasy sports. But thinking that you're better than those who get upset, or thinking those who do don't have their priorities in order is also ridiculous. You're posting in a thread where the overwhelming majority of people admit to being some level of upset or disappointed after a loss, which isn't that crazy when you're playing a competitive game.

These seen more like irritation. I'm not seeing the irrational part. Where is the drank 50 beers crashed my car because I lost or anything irrational? For the guy who pisses himself that'd be irrigation.

I do find it funny how if you take fantasy football serious, you don't have your priorities in place....

I think if you have a job, pay your bills, wife is happy (if you have one), kids are doing well (if you have them) and you do other things in life that are fun. Why can't you take fantasy football serious and still have your priorities in life. Now if you have been divorced three times because fantasy comes first or lost a job because you would not stop looking up football stats at work, maybe you have a priority problem.

Personally, I find it crazy that 30-50 year old men take high school football so serious. I take my kids to games and watch these guys who don't even have kids playing and they get irate at ref calls and just flip out on dumb stuff. I think they have their priorities in line, but get irrational about high school football.

Everyone has their own passion I guess. Just because I may or may not be as passionate doesn't make me any better or worse than them.

• Like 1

Don't get irrational or angry. Just disappointed for a very short time before looking at the waiver for next week.

It's not so different from playing poker or blackjack. If you know how to play the game you can increase your odds of winning however there's still a significant chance you will lose. If you go into it knowing that it is illogical to get irrational over it.

Hell hath no fury like me witnessing an impending loss, especially when I was projected to win (I know projections don't mean a whole lot most times). Quotes I often spew upon realizing I'm going to be dealt another L:

"I ###### hate fantasy football."

"I'm going to drop all my players!"

"Why do I keep playing this ######?"

"I hate fantasy football more than anything in the world."

"I have the worst luck ever."

"Why does EVERYONE blow up against me??"

"I'm ###### cursed!!!!!!!!!!"

"###### THIS ###### MOTHER####### BULL#### ### ######!!"

And so on and so on. I've broken 2 really cheap phones in the past by flinging them across the room when a play solidified me getting a loss (one was like an 80 yard TD by Meachem of all people). I've definitely gotten more easy going about losses and in general over the years, but I'm probably one of the bigger babies when it comes to losing....in my league and in life. Always been really competitive...and always take losses like there's no tomorrow.

And about 5 min after the game ends I'm fine.

I'm taking my two losses this week very badly because I overthought this week. I relied more on statistics and match ups than I did rely on my gut. I have more points on my bench than I ever have and that really hurts. I barely lost in both of my leagues and I needed is just one of the following guys to have played and I win.

On my bench....

Hillman

Beckham

Garcon

Denard Robinson

Tre Mason

Sammy Watkins

All these guys on my bench so that Holmes, Shorts, Hill, and Hunter could play. Sigh. It hurts.

By all accounts, I'm having my best start ever across 4 leagues. But, I'm going to pickup my first loss in one league. I'll still be in first, but I really take losses hard. Pretty irrational since I'm not actually out there playing or am any other part of an actual team.

So, am I the only one, or do you too take these "losses" too hard as well?

i hate multiple league ff players

i think everyone should only be alowed to play in one ff league

Go read my posts from the F.U. thread each week. I'd say it lasts a day or two. Sunday/Monday.............I could bite a hole in a fire extinguisher.

Losing in both leagues may bite me big time. I'm 4-2 in one league that only has 4 of 14 in playoffs. I'm 2-4 in the other that allows 6 of 10 in playoffs so I have time to get out last place, but I'm digging a hole big time.

• Like 1

I'm beyond competitive I break stuff it's really bad I'm stressed out and take it really bad I need to chill out. This week I was so mad I literally wanted to break my phone. My friends watching with me were probably like wow this guy is crazy lol...down 80 with 3 guys to play Thomas,Brown,Bell and I win all that screaming and yelling and I still won. I'm a poor sport working on being better tho.

I'm in it to win it

And yep pissed when I don't win

If you not looking to win then why play ?

It's competition yeah I get pissed when I lose

Bingo

Very.

Last week went 0-4 in my leagues and the Bears lost to the Dolphins.

Time to take a bath with my toaster while drinking a bleach milkshake.

• Like 1