Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

A question for Cruzer and other excellent golfers --

I am roughly a 15-handicap golfer at this point in my life (was a 7 at my best). I play mostly for work, and get out for a total of 20-25 rounds during the year. Because I live in the northeast, golf season is only from April to October/November. I usually have all of my swing kinks worked out by the end of the season only to have to re-start again with swing mistakes. So, for Christmas, I received 4 hours of lessons with a guy from town who works at a local club. These are "range" lessons as opposed to "playing" lessons. My plan was to use 2 hours worth of the lessons leading into a golf weekend in mid-April with my friends, so that I could start at a better place. Then, I could use the other 2 hours during the season to tweak my game.

Do you think this is a good plan or would you use the lessons differently?

I have good swing, but when I make mistakes, it typically involves overswinging and/or having too much weight forward coming through the ball, so I think a few early lessons might help me get out of that earlier this year.

Id start with finding an outdoor range with heated bays in your area and start working through some buckets when its decent enough to do so. Find your swing before taking a lesson. Lower the number of variables you are going to address.

Taking a lesson when you havent picked up a golf club in 6 months isnt going to be the most efficient use of your time. There are all sorts of golf muscles you probably dont fire much in the offseason. Have to get in the semblance of golf shape and form before tinkering with the swing

I am roughly a 15-handicap golfer at this point in my life (was a 7 at my best). I play mostly for work, and get out for a total of 20-25 rounds during the year. Because I live in the northeast, golf season is only from April to October/November. I usually have all of my swing kinks worked out by the end of the season only to have to re-start again with swing mistakes. So, for Christmas, I received 4 hours of lessons with a guy from town who works at a local club. These are "range" lessons as opposed to "playing" lessons. My plan was to use 2 hours worth of the lessons leading into a golf weekend in mid-April with my friends, so that I could start at a better place. Then, I could use the other 2 hours during the season to tweak my game.

I think splitting it up is a great way to go about it...... Rome wasn't built in a day. You can only focus so much at a time - the worst thing to do is for an instructor to try and cram 25 years of teaching into a short session.

Former single digits already have the foundation for good golf. You're no different that the rest in that range that can play really good for stretches - but struggle to avoid a couple blow up double or triple holes during a round.. And the other part, as I said, is simply scoring around the green. I'm betting you have several rounds a year where you turn 77 into 83 simply bcoz you failed to get it up-and-down a few times that day.

I'm a range rat - would almost rather spend 2 hours practicing than actually playing... but that's not for everyone. I really like the idea of range work, then on the course play to focus on what you're working on...... Just be sure to not try and cram it all in at once... And be careful not to get overly saturated with "mechanics".

And be careful not to get overly saturated with "mechanics".

This 1 million times. I think modern golf instruction chases too many positions and doesnt seem natural. A golf swing is as natural as swinging a grass whip. My only swing thought is "move my body to allow club to be shallow."

This 1 million times. I think modern golf instruction chases too many positions and doesnt seem natural. A golf swing is as natural as swinging a grass whip. My only swing thought is "move my body to allow club to be shallow."

Fortunately, the pro is a guy who I know pretty well. I've played with him before, he knows my game, and I've already talked with him over a few beers what I want to accomplish. He knows I do not want to reinvent my swing, but instead want to work on balance, grip, swing-length and rhythm. I think he is the right choice to accomplish what I want.

Thanks to you, Cruzer and DankNuggs for the ideas. Cruzer is correct that the difference in my game now is mostly striking consistency and short game flubs.

78% Fairways

50% GIR

31 Putts

Bad ball striking on another windy day. Misses were bad and left a lot of poor position type of recovery shots. 1 chip in bird vs 6 bogeys

• Like 1

A question for Cruzer and other excellent golfers --

I have good swing, but when I make mistakes, it typically involves overswinging and/or having too much weight forward coming through the ball, so I think a few early lessons might help me get out of that earlier this year.

i agree with Nuggs. Make sure to hit the range a few times before you go for your first lesson with this guy. Not only to get in "golfing shape" but also obviously to identify some key issues you want to work on. Been a long time since I took a lesson, or gave one, but it's always better to be able to say I really want to work on... consistent accuracy off the tee. Rather than to have several different things or even worse to have him watch you and decide on his own.

I would also consider breaking it down to 4 one hour lessons. Part of this is bang for your buck. I never had an hour lesson that didn't run 10 minutes over..... but the bigger reason is, you'll usually come away from a 1 hour lesson with less swing thoughts running through your head to work on. Especially if you stick to the key areas you identify before going to see him.

So lets say you hit the range 3-4 times at least, then go for a 1 hour lesson before you kick off your season. You can ask him to work on accuracy off the tee (random example) and then spend the last 15 minutes of the lesson on the green working on your lag putting speed (another example) or maybe 3-4 footers. That way you leave the lesson with 1 long game aspect to work on and 1 short game.

you people and rick shiels....

There's been enough decent weather around here to get oiled up for the season. Been hitting it well, just a little steep at times. I turned back to an old thought I used which is "turn trail shoulder back." I went out and played 9 holes from white tees today and hit 7 greens. I didnt pull the driver, just 3w. Man my irons are pure.

I started working on getting my elbows more in front of me and connected (image from Hogan's book). Picked up a little clubhead speed and consistency.

Also found a putting flaw that's been haunting me for awhile (weight moving towards toes during stroke). Fixed that and have so much more confidence with the putter.

I started working on getting my elbows more in front of me and connected (image from Hogan's book). Picked up a little clubhead speed and consistency.

Same problem as me, we're fixing it with different thoughts. Its all about legit turn v/s false turn which gets you stuck on the downswing. Some people reroute (me) and get steep to get back to the ball.

The key is keeping your trail elbow in front of the trail hip. At some point, we both have a tendency to get arms out of sync with hips.

Same problem as me, we're fixing it with different thoughts. Its all about legit turn v/s false turn which gets you stuck on the downswing. Some people reroute (me) and get steep to get back to the ball.

The key is keeping your trail elbow in front of the trail hip. At some point, we both have a tendency to get arms out of sync with hips.

I'll give that a try. Part of my problem results from either hanging back with my weight (and spinning out) or sliding forward of the ball with hips/head. Definitely need to do a better job keeping my head steady.

Was talking to a buddy this weekend playing, putting frustration was the topic.

Like I told him: you can coach and create ball strikers, but putters are born....... I was not blessed with that gene, which explains why I'm a shiity putter. :(

I've had some family stuff going on, haven't been able to play much.

Which freed me up to watch a lot of golf....I'm assuming not many caught the girls playing this weekend - they had their 1st major of the year... The putting exhibition that Lindberg and I. Park put on were out of this world. Especially Park y-day. With all due respect to Crenshaw, Jack and Tiger, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player make more feet of putts in a single round than that. It was even more freakish than the show Tiger put on in that last round of the 2000 PGA against Bob May.

Which freed me up to watch a lot of golf....I'm assuming not many caught the girls playing this weekend - they had their 1st major of the year... The putting exhibition that G. Piller and I. Park put on were out of this world. Especially Park y-day. With all due respect to Crenshaw, Jack and Tiger, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player make more feet of putts in a single round than that. It was even more freakish than the show Tiger put on in that last round of the 2000 PGA against Bob May.

Well, she didnt even scare the hole on her first birdie attempt this morning. Overrated!

Well, she didnt even scare the hole on her first birdie attempt this morning. Overrated!

Draino - right in the heart........incredible.

Jeebus - Lindberg steps up and drains it too - damn......wow.

Which freed me up to watch a lot of golf....I'm assuming not many caught the girls playing this weekend - they had their 1st major of the year... The putting exhibition that Lindberg and I. Park put on were out of this world. Especially Park y-day. With all due respect to Crenshaw, Jack and Tiger, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player make more feet of putts in a single round than that. It was even more freakish than the show Tiger put on in that last round of the 2000 PGA against Bob May.

Both with clutch putts. Damn. Theres a thread over at golfwrx.com where a guy asked who you would want putting if you were being held by terrorists and your life depended on the putt. The OP and a ton of people say Inbee.

On a side note, Pernilla is the epitome of "butter face". I love her legs and I wanna bend her over in a little golf skirt, but damn those teeth and nose. Ugh

On a side note, Pernilla is the epitome of "butter face". I love her legs and I wanna bend her over in a little golf skirt, but damn those teeth and nose. Ugh

For sure...... I'm a leg guy, and hers are great - awesome figure... She's the epitome of 'golf hot', but prolly not somebody you'd think so on the street.

Wow - worst putt Lindberg hit all week. She had a total decal and peak on that one to win... I fear she will lose now - that was her shot and she whiffed.

Holy shiit, what a putt.. That was going to be either a 3 or a 5. :D

Shot 82 today on a course I haven't played in years. Two doubles marred my card as well as some more three putts. Also the foursome was rounded out by a few guys I'd never golfed with before. Sandie/birdie on 18 to close it out though.

Disagree with it, shaft > head unless the head is just a complete mismatch. Ive always avoided he draw inducing head designs, dont want a crutch. Rather work on swing path and get on plane than the false confidence of a head counteracting a bad swing

Golfed half-dozen times over the past few years. Can't break 130. :mellow:

Played last week for the 1st time since November. shot a pretty solid 91