Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Broncos release C.J. Anderson

I agree Taylor is not the long term answer, and I agree that the Browns should draft a QB, but if they don't it wouldn't be a surprise.

Good post thank you.

I don't know if he is or not, but I believe situation and coaching has just as much to do with success as any other trait when it comes to being a QB. Look at last year for example... Foles, Keenum, and Goff. All 3 were in the playoffs. Two played well in the post-season to get the NFC Championship game and one won the Super Bowl. All 3 guys had their careers in limbo just 1 year prior playing for Jeff Fisher. If the Rams didn't fire Jeff Fisher last year, the Rams might have a top 5 pick and contemplating taking a QB.

Look at Alex Smith. He struggles in SF because of poor coaching. Goes to KC with Andy Reid, he turned into a pretty darn good QB. Sometimes it's not the player, it's the coach/coaching staff. Since the Browns came back into the league 19 years ago, they've had 8 HC changes. They're on their 9th. How is any player going to develop with that kind of turnover? Maybe the players weren't always the problem. Maybe it was the coach.

People like to make a big deal about Joe Flacco. His average season is 61.7 comp % / 3700 yards / 21 TD's / 14 Int's / 6.8 ypa / 84.1 passer rating. Taylor's average season is 62.6% / 3200 / 19 / 6 / 7.2 / 92.5. Amazing what kind of reputation you can get when you play for a team with an elite defense you're first 5 years. Eli is thought by some to be an H.O.F. QB... yet his completion %, y/a, passer rating, and TD/Int ratio are all worse than Taylor's too.

Taylor is a perfectly acceptable QB. If I recall, didn't they almost blow their playoff chances because they benched him? Not so sure that the current Bills management is very good at talent evaluation. The Browns actually have more talent than the Bills.

According to Football outsiders, the Browns DLine ranked 2nd against the run and 17th against the pass, where as the Bills ranked 21st and 28th respectively. So, Cleveland's DLine was better. Offensively, the Browns OLine ranked 14th in run blocking and 22nd in pass blocking where as the Bills ranked 27th and 31st. Hence, Cleveland's OLine is better.

I think we can all agree that Cleveland's WR's are better than Buffalo's. I think we can all agree that while McCoy is better than any RB Cleveland has, the overall backfield in Buffalo is only marginally better.

Last year, Buffalo ranked 26th in defense, in respect to yards... the Browns ranked 14th.

The biggest difference between the two teams last year was significant. It was Tyrod Taylor vs QB'd du crap in Cleveland. With the talent Cleveland has, and what we knew from Buffalo last year, the Browns can be a 10-win team this coming season with Tyrod Taylor. You can poo poo him all you want, but he's the reason the Bills have even been competitive the last few years and it's their talent evaluation and coaching why they haven't been better.

Tyrod has been in the league for a while and he is still a 1 read and run QB. Once his legs go a bit hr will be useless. They scored a whopping 3 points in theit playoff game.

He isnt good. He is okay. He is a stop gap QB.

So the Browns have sucked for a long time with no QB. And they have the pick of the litter this year. And you suggest they roll with Tyrod focking Taylor?

I cant take you serious. Im not trying to be an azz. But while you spit out useless stats, I have actually watched a ton of his games. Their passing game has sucked because he isnt a good passer. It is obvious you have hardly watched him play.

The Browns are 1-31 in the last 2 years. Why would they be afraid to draft a QB? To protect what? They have sucked forever.

Yeah Bills coaching sucks.

1st year for Dermie and he takes them to the playoffs for first time since 1999. Yeah that sucks.

Oh yea talent evaluation sucks. They only traded their 1st ever pick (this staff) and traded way back picking up a 2018 1st. And drafted Tre White at the end of round 1. Tre White who was rated one of the very best corners last year as a rookie.

You are talking out of your azz.

concensus @ fbg:

1.5 Broncos take Baker Mayfield (44% of the vote / 22 votes to 15 for Chubb)

Rush 21:12

concensus @ fbg:

1.5 Broncos take Baker Mayfield (44% of the vote / 22 votes to 15 for Chubb)

Rush 21:12

This going to be a fun draft. At least for the top 8 or so.

Animals - Pigs on the Wing 1:1

Tyrod has been in the league for a while and he is still a 1 read and run QB. Once his legs go a bit hr will be useless. They scored a whopping 3 points in theit playoff game.

So the Browns have sucked for a long time with no QB. And they have the pick of the litter this year. And you suggest they roll with Tyrod focking Taylor?

I cant take you serious. Im not trying to be an azz. But while you spit out useless stats, I have actually watched a ton of his games. Their passing game has sucked because he isnt a good passer. It is obvious you have hardly watched him play.

The Browns are 1-31 in the last 2 years. Why would they be afraid to draft a QB? To protect what? They have sucked forever.

Yet Tyrod Taylor is the 2nd best QB in Billls history, and the best QB in recent Cleveland history.

I doubt Cleveland will be in position again next year if there are any decent QBs coming out. They could win 5-6 games. And if they really do hit on a QB this year they could be the team to beat for years to come in that division of aging QBs.

Yet Tyrod Taylor is the 2nd best QB in Billls history, and the best QB in recent Cleveland history.

I guess. Id rather have a guy whomis eilling to you know....throw thr ball. Instead of hold onto it and run and take sacks because he is so worried about the INT. When he stands on thr pocket he has iffy accuracy at best.

People outside of Buffalo seem to love the guy. Yet the staff and fans do not. You know the ones who have watched him play throughout his career.

Hes a good guy I wish him luck. I just dont think he is a good QB if you want to pass the ball.

I guess. Id rather have a guy whomis eilling to you know....throw thr ball. Instead of hold onto it and run and take sacks because he is so worried about the INT. When he stands on thr pocket he has iffy accuracy at best.

People outside of Buffalo seem to love the guy. Yet the staff and fans do not. You know the ones who have watched him play throughout his career.

Hes a good guy I wish him luck. I just dont think he is a good QB if you want to pass the ball.

Purely from a fantasy take, I always seemed to stay away from the receivers he was throwing to.

I don't know if he is or not, but I believe situation and coaching has just as much to do with success as any other trait when it comes to being a QB. Look at last year for example... Foles, Keenum, and Goff. All 3 were in the playoffs. Two played well in the post-season to get the NFC Championship game and one won the Super Bowl. All 3 guys had their careers in limbo just 1 year prior playing for Jeff Fisher. If the Rams didn't fire Jeff Fisher last year, the Rams might have a top 5 pick and contemplating taking a QB.

Look at Alex Smith. He struggles in SF because of poor coaching. Goes to KC with Andy Reid, he turned into a pretty darn good QB. Sometimes it's not the player, it's the coach/coaching staff. Since the Browns came back into the league 19 years ago, they've had 8 HC changes. They're on their 9th. How is any player going to develop with that kind of turnover? Maybe the players weren't always the problem. Maybe it was the coach.

People like to make a big deal about Joe Flacco. His average season is 61.7 comp % / 3700 yards / 21 TD's / 14 Int's / 6.8 ypa / 84.1 passer rating. Taylor's average season is 62.6% / 3200 / 19 / 6 / 7.2 / 92.5. Amazing what kind of reputation you can get when you play for a team with an elite defense you're first 5 years. Eli is thought by some to be an H.O.F. QB... yet his completion %, y/a, passer rating, and TD/Int ratio are all worse than Taylor's too.

Like I said, he's not the long term answer.

He will be the answer this season, but the Browns need and should draft a QB.

I don't think he's awful, don't think I said that, but i see him has a filler for this season and maybe even next, but he's not going to take them over the top.

Thanks for the reply, and the insite about his stats, great job, appreciate it.

Psalm 119:143

Proverbs 19.

So Taylor had 2 different HC's and 3 different OC's in his 3 years... but he didn't get "bad coaching"? I find that hard to believe. Let's also take into account that prior to last season, the Bills front office removed the teams 3 best receivers in Goodwin, Woods and Watkins and replaced them with a rookie and two disappointing receivers in Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin... none of which were anything special, and Taylor STILL brought them to the playoffs DESPITE the fact that McDermitt almost cost them that playoff birth by benching Taylor for no real good reason. That's not "bad coaching" and "bad talent evaluation"?

Nick Foles with the Eagles, Joe Flacco with Baltimore and Eli Manning with the Giants have proven that you don't need anything more than an "adequate" QB to win a Super Bowl. If you have an elite defense and don't turn the ball over, you can win. Drafting Chubb and a guy like Fitzpatrick can put you in a position to have an elite defense. Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson are a quality tandem in the backfield. Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are great talents at WR and Njoku looks rather promising. That team has a chance to win... and win now.

Do we know for a fact that the QB they draft is going to be any good? Do we know for a fact that one of the guys drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round won't be better than any of those drafted in the 1st? The 2012 draft is pretty much a blueprint for this year. Luck, Griffen, Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler all went before Wilson and Kirk Cousins. If you knew in 2012 where these guys would be at this point time, Wilson and Cousins are picks #1 and #2. So don't sit there and tell me that the Browns have to take one of these top guys because that's their only chance to get a QB of the future. The best QB from this class could end up being Luke Falk or Kyle Lauletta.

I doubt Cleveland will be in position again next year if there are any decent QBs coming out. They could win 5-6 games. And if they really do hit on a QB this year they could be the team to beat for years to come in that division of aging QBs.

Cleveland this year, has a better and more talented team, than the Bills did last year. They might win 10 games.

Coming off a 7-win season, Tampa has the #7 pick. If they Browns won 5 games this season, they could have the #5 pick, like Denver. A top 5 pick next year will put them in a spot to get a QB. Right now, Walterfootball.com has 6 QB's that "could" go in the first round next year. There may only be 1 or 2, but picking in the top 5 would/could definitely put you in position to draft a QB. ESPN is showing there could be 5. No, we have no idea what next year will bring, but they have players in place to win right now... and they still could develop a QB from this draft class.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Browns SHOULD NOT take a QB. I don't think it's a bad idea if they took a QB at #1 or #4 (it would be a horrific idea to take QB's at #1 AND #4 though). I'm simply saying that they don't HAVE TO take a QB at #1 or #4. They could wait for pick #33, 35, or 64.

I think they need too take a QB in the first round.

Psalm 119:149&153

So Taylor had 2 different HC's and 3 different OC's in his 3 years... but he didn't get "bad coaching"? I find that hard to believe. Let's also take into account that prior to last season, the Bills front office removed the teams 3 best receivers in Goodwin, Woods and Watkins and replaced them with a rookie and two disappointing receivers in Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin... none of which were anything special, and Taylor STILL brought them to the playoffs DESPITE the fact that McDermitt almost cost them that playoff birth by benching Taylor for no real good reason. That's not "bad coaching" and "bad talent evaluation"?

Nick Foles with the Eagles, Joe Flacco with Baltimore and Eli Manning with the Giants have proven that you don't need anything more than an "adequate" QB to win a Super Bowl. If you have an elite defense and don't turn the ball over, you can win. Drafting Chubb and a guy like Fitzpatrick can put you in a position to have an elite defense. Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson are a quality tandem in the backfield. Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry are great talents at WR and Njoku looks rather promising. That team has a chance to win... and win now.

Do we know for a fact that the QB they draft is going to be any good? Do we know for a fact that one of the guys drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round won't be better than any of those drafted in the 1st? The 2012 draft is pretty much a blueprint for this year. Luck, Griffen, Tannehill, Weeden, and Osweiler all went before Wilson and Kirk Cousins. If you knew in 2012 where these guys would be at this point time, Wilson and Cousins are picks #1 and #2. So don't sit there and tell me that the Browns have to take one of these top guys because that's their only chance to get a QB of the future. The best QB from this class could end up being Luke Falk or Kyle Lauletta.

They backed into the playoffs. They were poor on offense and defense. Tyrod scored 3 pts in their playoff game while the defense held the Jags to 10.

Doug Whaley left this team in shambles and Beane quickly fixed it all.

You are clueless.

You say you dont know if any of the QBs will be good but then go ahead and annoint Chubb and Fitzpatrick as sure fire pro bowlers.

Your posts are laughable. You probably have never watched a Bills game in your life and you are sitting here trying to explain them to me.

You are clearly talking out of your ass.

They backed into the playoffs. They were poor on offense and defense. Tyrod scored 3 pts in their playoff game while the defense held the Jags to 10.

Doug Whaley left this team in shambles and Beane quickly fixed it all.

You are clueless.

They backed in because the coach benched Taylor and lost them the game. They win that and they get 10 wins. Scoring only 3 points vs Jacksonville isn't that big of a deal. Yeah, they're defense gave up 10 points... but the Jags defense gave up less than 10 points 7 times. In case you didn't know, the Jags defense was pretty damn good.

You say you dont know if any of the QBs will be good but then go ahead and annoint Chubb and Fitzpatrick as sure fire pro bowlers.

Your posts are laughable. You probably have never watched a Bills game in your life and you are sitting here trying to explain them to me.

You are clearly talking out of your ass.

LOL, yeah, ok.

In 3 years as the Bills starter Tyrod has 1 300 yard passing game.

But let me guess he is Johnny U if he just had better coaches like Hue focking Jackson!

In 3 years as the Bills starter Tyrod has 1 300 yard passing game.

But let me guess he is Johnny U if he just had better coaches like Hue focking Jackson!

... and it was a loss, wasn't it? Look, you can point to all his "short comings", but it all points back to my main point... bad coaching and talent evaluation. Even last year, that you're touting so much as being an upgrade. The new regime let both Woods and Watkins go, and brought in Zay Jones, who couldn't get on the field (but when he did... he couldn't catch), and 2 underachieving WR's who couldn't play with Cam Newton (an MVP), and Carson Wentz (who was a leading MVP candidate last year until his injury). Yeah, a real talent upgrade there! :doh:

Last year, Buffalo made the playoffs and should've been a 10-win team. If this new regime was so good at talent evaluation, maybe they'd have used their skills to bring in a WR (maybe Allen Robinson), and draft a WR with one of their 2 first round picks and upgrade that position. But no, they decided to bail on their QB, keep their same crappy WR's, and they're going to end up trading most of their draft capital to get a new QB that has a mediocre OLine, aging RB who at any point could just fall off the cliff (as he's going to be 30 years old and have over 2600 career touches), and a garbage receiving corp. Next year you'll be able to tell me how good this new regime is when they're picking in the top 5 in next year's draft.

... and it was a loss, wasn't it? Look, you can point to all his "short comings", but it all points back to my main point... bad coaching and talent evaluation. Even last year, that you're touting so much as being an upgrade. The new regime let both Woods and Watkins go, and brought in Zay Jones, who couldn't get on the field (but when he did... he couldn't catch), and 2 underachieving WR's who couldn't play with Cam Newton (an MVP), and Carson Wentz (who was a leading MVP candidate last year until his injury). Yeah, a real talent upgrade there! :doh:

Last year, Buffalo made the playoffs and should've been a 10-win team. If this new regime was so good at talent evaluation, maybe they'd have used their skills to bring in a WR (maybe Allen Robinson), and draft a WR with one of their 2 first round picks and upgrade that position. But no, they decided to bail on their QB, keep their same crappy WR's, and they're going to end up trading most of their draft capital to get a new QB that has a mediocre OLine, aging RB who at any point could just fall off the cliff (as he's going to be 30 years old and have over 2600 career touches), and a garbage receiving corp. Next year you'll be able to tell me how good this new regime is when they're picking in the top 5 in next year's draft.

Woods was a bum with Tyrod. Went to Rams and is now legit.

Goodwin had like 400 yards with Tyrod. Webt to the 9ers and had CJ Beathard for half a year and almost topped 1000.

We can just agree to disagree. I have watched a ton of Bills games as I live here. What Beane has done to turn this roster and cap around is actually a thing of beauty. I would not expect you to understand what situation they were in as you probably do not follow the Bills. The Bills have tried the Trent Edwards, Matt Cassell's, JP Losman's, Ryan Fitzpatrick's for years....and it hot them 17 years of playoff drought. They have never picked a QB in the top 10, ever. They have used your idea of building a team and it got them no where for 17 years.

You would not understand.

And PS, I never said you cant find a QB outside the 1st round. So not sure why you have hammered that point. Anyone can bust.

Woods was a bum with Tyrod. Went to Rams and is now legit.

Goodwin had like 400 yards with Tyrod. Webt to the 9ers and had CJ Beathard for half a year and almost topped 1000.

We can just agree to disagree. I have watched a ton of Bills games as I live here. What Beane has done to turn this roster and cap around is actually a thing of beauty. I would not expect you to understand what situation they were in as you probably do not follow the Bills. The Bills have tried the Trent Edwards, Matt Cassell's, JP Losman's, Ryan Fitzpatrick's for years....and it hot them 17 years of playoff drought. They have never picked a QB in the top 10, ever. They have used your idea of building a team and it got them no where for 17 years.

You would not understand.

And PS, I never said you cant find a QB outside the 1st round. So not sure why you have hammered that point. Anyone can bust.

Again, you're just proving my point that Taylor was victim of bad coaching and bad talent evaluation. Though, I can't really say that Woods has proven to be legit. He really didn't do much better in LA. The Rams have more talent and a much better defense. It makes sense that he'd get more opportunities. His numbers really aren't that much better

Goodwin looks to be a solid player. Again, the regime you are boasting LET HIM GO! Again, I don't really know how good he is though. He had a great run there with Garoppolo, but in weeks 1 through 11, he only had 27 receptions (just about 2.5 per game). Sure, he had a lot of yards and a big ypr average, but that's clearly not sustainable and evidence that they just chucked it up to him. His catch percentage was 43.5%, which is right around what he had the year before in Buffalo. The last 5 games with Garoppolo were big. The unknown is, is Garoppolo that good? Was this just a 5-game stretch? Is Goodwin that good? If Goodwin is great, that's Buffalo's fault for letting him go... and could mean that Garoppolo is a great QB. If it's just a 5-game stretch, then he wasn't all that good in the first place. So, in the end, this really doesn't look bad for Taylor. I said Taylor is a serviceable QB, not good, not great, not elite... serviceable, just like Joe Flacco. If you can build a team with a great defense and have a good running game, a Joe Flacco "serviceable" type QB can help you win a Super Bowl.

p.s., outside of my first post about the Browns being able to get a QB after round one, I never mentioned that again, so I'm not "hammering that point". I don't know what you're talking about.

Again, you're just proving my point that Taylor was victim of bad coaching and bad talent evaluation. Though, I can't really say that Woods has proven to be legit. He really didn't do much better in LA. The Rams have more talent and a much better defense. It makes sense that he'd get more opportunities. His numbers really aren't that much better

Goodwin looks to be a solid player. Again, the regime you are boasting LET HIM GO! Again, I don't really know how good he is though. He had a great run there with Garoppolo, but in weeks 1 through 11, he only had 27 receptions (just about 2.5 per game). Sure, he had a lot of yards and a big ypr average, but that's clearly not sustainable and evidence that they just chucked it up to him. His catch percentage was 43.5%, which is right around what he had the year before in Buffalo. The last 5 games with Garoppolo were big. The unknown is, is Garoppolo that good? Was this just a 5-game stretch? Is Goodwin that good? If Goodwin is great, that's Buffalo's fault for letting him go... and could mean that Garoppolo is a great QB. If it's just a 5-game stretch, then he wasn't all that good in the first place. So, in the end, this really doesn't look bad for Taylor. I said Taylor is a serviceable QB, not good, not great, not elite... serviceable, just like Joe Flacco. If you can build a team with a great defense and have a good running game, a Joe Flacco "serviceable" type QB can help you win a Super Bowl.

p.s., outside of my first post about the Browns being able to get a QB after round one, I never mentioned that again, so I'm not "hammering that point". I don't know what you're talking about.

I too have said Tyrod is "seviceable". An okay QB. So not sure what we are arguing about.

Your definition of "serviceable" and mine are two completely different definitions. As you said on page 1... http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=476149&do=findComment&comment=6203963, "Taylor sucks I live close to Buffalo"

Sucks as a passer. Sucks for upside. His legs and gamey nature will win you a few games. You could certainly do worse. Perfect stop gap. There are not 32 real good QBs out there. But he is the same old crap to Bills fans. Great guy no one hates him in Buffalo. He just isnt a guy you are going to go too far with unless everything clicks.

Where you me and differ is what we see in QB. It is the most important position in sports. Because Foles was hot for a few games all of a sudden in his career has people thinking anyone can win at QB. MVP season Wentz got them the 1 seed. Foles is hot for a few games and eveyone acts like hes the man. Yes Flacco and Eli were not barn burners. But Tom, Ben, Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Wilson are elite throwers and QBs. You cant just settle for decent QB and hope you build a top roster. Sure you can do it that way but I put more value in finding a franchise QB.

So in terms of the Browns, can fhey sit and wait till the 2nd and find a guy who plays great for 10 years? Sure. But when you have 1 and 4 in a good QB class....when you passed on Wentz to trade back to "aquire talent"...and then proceed to win 1 game in 32 tries.....then you focking draft a QB when it is in your hands. You scout countless hours to have an opinion. Pick thr QB who you think is the best guy. They have several other picks. They always have picks. And have sucked. Year after year after year after year.

You dont mind settling at QB. I do mind. Sometimes you cant take your shot. But the Browns can. And havent had a QB...almost ever.

The Bills have trotted middling QBs out forever. Just like the Jets. Just like the Browns. And they have all been a laughing stock for years.

Honestly, on a team with some talent, Tyrod might be good enough. on the bills there were a lot of games where he went 16 for 20, 260 yards, 2 TD and no INT and the team won 28-17 (or something of the like)

if you give him a superb Defense and reasonable tools on offense, he could be good enough.

in theory the Browns top 2 picks could be Chubb and another top Defensive prospect (take your pick there are 3 or 4 others) and that Defense could be set for a decade.

its not the sexy move, but I think it is certainly a possibility.

Nice. Come to read about CJ. But instead I get a bunch of jerk offs, blowing smoke up their own asses. Just keep quoting each other till you somehow feel your right.

Nice way to kill a forum.

Back to CJ. Back to Miami. Am I right or am I right

• Like 1

Nice. Come to read about CJ. But instead I get a bunch of jerk offs, blowing smoke up their own asses. Just keep quoting each other till you somehow feel your right.

What?

The thread did get a little derailed, but it is April not August.

I did page back and reclick the link to make sure I was in the right thread.

Anyone think CJ would be a good fit with the Texans? Miller is not that great and Foreman is coming off a pretty serious injury.

Miami signed Gore. CJ is kinda like Miller, but I could see the Texans kicking the tires.

KC should swoop in. SEA too.

well, it's certainly a possibility.

Miami tried to sign him earlier. if they still like him, he could find his way over there.

Miami signed Gore. CJ is kinda like Miller, but I could see the Texans kicking the tires.

KC should swoop in. SEA too.

given the age of Gore, you have to wonder if he was signed to start or to be a backup.

given the age of Gore, you have to wonder if he was signed to start or to be a backup.

I had thought he'd be splitting carries with Drake.

The Dolphins picking up Gore makes me like Drake even more.

If they do sign Anderson that would be a blow to the value of Drake.

Psalm 127.