Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

Good customer service

Though it's easy to complain about sh!tty service on airlines, etc., every now and then a company surprises me. Capital One gets my vote for the way they recently handled a fraudulent gym I had joined. I paid for a year in advance, at a "special" rate. Four months into the contract, the gym mysteriously closes for maintenance, never to reopen. It turns out the owner hadn't been paying the utility bills for months and filed for bankruptcy, a pattern he established with his last gym he opened. Apparently he was selling new memberships until the day it closed.

By the time I realized what happened, it was five months after I paid for the membership, well beyond the fraud protection limits. But a phone call and fax later, Capital One refunded me 100% of the membership fees. I expected a pro-rated amount at best.

What companies have impressed you with their customer service?

Sounds like you impulsively bought a gym membership that you never planned on using.

Sounds like you impulsively bought a gym membership that you never planned on using.

Sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about, as I used it plenty while it was open.

Sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about, as I used it plenty while it was open.

you'll have to excuse the resident know it all.

you'll have to excuse the resident know it all.

Seriously, what a stupid fvckin comment? He has no idea why I joined the gym or how often I used it. Not the point of the post anyway. But I guess keystrokes are the only exercise he gets.

Seriously, what a stupid fvckin comment? He has no idea why I joined the gym or how often I used it. Not the point of the post anyway. But I guess keystrokes are the only exercise he gets.

He doesn't need to.

He knows it all ^_^

Good for them. Amex set the bar for CC company customer service IMO. When I traveled extensively, they were a godsend.

Glad to see others are finally figuring it out.

I read "Minding The Store" by Stanley Marcus early in my career and his customer service strategy has stuck with me wherever I've gone.

Some of his quotes:

As goods become more standardized - and mass production has that effect, standardizing product - the distinguishing factor between one store and another is going to be how skillful stores are in satisfying customers and making it a pleasant experience instead of a hostile experience.

I took to heart the instructions my father drilled into my head. Respect the customer. Pay attention to her. Take her package to her car. You broke your neck to get what she wanted because you never knew when the next customer would come along

• Like 1

I really dislike their business practices but Amazon has got to be top of the line when it comes to customer service. Zappos is another good one.

• Like 1

Good for them. Amex set the bar for CC company customer service IMO. When I traveled extensively, they were a godsend.

Glad to see others are finally figuring it out.

I read "Minding The Store" by Stanley Marcus early in my career and his customer service strategy has stuck with me wherever I've gone.

Some of his quotes:

As goods become more standardized - and mass production has that effect, standardizing product - the distinguishing factor between one store and another is going to be how skillful stores are in satisfying customers and making it a pleasant experience instead of a hostile experience.

I took to heart the instructions my father drilled into my head. Respect the customer. Pay attention to her. Take her package to her car. You broke your neck to get what she wanted because you never knew when the next customer would come along

10,001 posts. You missed the big moment, brah.

Banks seem to be stepping up their game in general. I don't know if thats gubbermint driven or not.

Had two instances where my CC was used in weird places. Once in South Africa, once in Ireland. Both tomes, the transaction denied and I got an immediate call from the card issuer. Yeah my card got cancelled and had to have anew one sent out, but I'll accept that.

10,001 posts. You missed the big moment, brah.

If I ever get to the point where I even consider my post count, I'll have myself committed.

If I ever get to the point where I even consider my post count, I'll have myself committed.

Oh, you're above it all. My bad.

I've had great customer service with Verizon. After my dad passed away, I needed to cancel his account and put my daughters account on mine. I was expecting problems as I didn't know the password and the lady who worked for us was also on the account and needed to be taken off. They handled much better than I thought they would considering it's a phone company.

I really dislike their business practices but Amazon has got to be top of the line when it comes to customer service. Zappos is another good one.

I agree on Amazon. Although I hear it's a hell hole to work for and is putting nearly every other retailer out of business, I have never received poor customer service from them.

I agree on Amazon. Although I hear it's a hell hole to work for and is putting nearly every other retailer out of business, I have never received poor customer service from them.

I've heard the same. It sucks because they are a brilliant company but they treat employees like sh1t.

I'm not above it all. Just above you.

Why do you consider yourself above me? You don't even know who I am.

Lighten up Francis.

It's the Geek Bored; everyone here is rich, affluent, dates supermodels and has a huge cack (some are just holding them in their mouths though....)

I've had great customer service with Verizon. After my dad passed away, I needed to cancel his account and put my daughters account on mine. I was expecting problems as I didn't know the password and the lady who worked for us was also on the account and needed to be taken off. They handled much better than I thought they would considering it's a phone company.

While in the military I racked up like a $500 bill when I returned from deployment, because my billing period was prorated or something.

Called Verizon and explained the situation and they just charged me my normal monthly fee. Couldn't believe it.

Lighten up Francis.

It's the Geek Bored; everyone here is rich, affluent, dates supermodels and has a huge cack (some are just holding them in their mouths though....)

You forgot that we're all black belts with 6-pack abs.

• Like 1

Does sanctuary membership require one to renounce their sense of humor upon acceptance?

I'm finding that in the past 10 years customer service across the board has become better.

From banks to cable providers to online retailers etc.

Since there are so many choices for services with really not much to offer in differentiating product - they are making service the focus.

I'm sure social media has played a part in this. You see bad reviews for companies with bad CS, and after enough of them people will not bother.

A good example is cable. Where I am, Comcast was NOTORIOUS for horrid CS for years - so much so that competitors used that as the main driver for their advertising to switch services.

Now every call I make to them is pleasant and satisfactory, and I wouldn't think if switching because of poor service.

I'm sure someone finally figured out the ROI for solid CS and it's now just good business rather than an unnecessary expense.

Does sanctuary membership require one to renounce their sense of humor upon acceptance?

Forgive me, but "I consider myself above you" doesn't come off as much of a joke. Do you know how jokes work?

Somewhere along the way, the Geek Club seems to have transitioned from funny breaking balls humor to purely insults with no trace of humor....yet are still considered funny by the geeks. Is it because no one has the ability to be funny with their insults anymore? Did the funny posters all go away?

• Like 1

I'm finding that in the past 10 years customer service across the board has become better.From banks to cable providers to online retailers etc.Since there are so many choices for services with really not much to offer in differentiating product - they are making service the focus.I'm sure social media has played a part in this. You see bad reviews for companies with bad CS, and after enough of them people will not bother.A good example is cable. Where I am, Comcast was NOTORIOUS for horrid CS for years - so much so that competitors used that as the main driver for their advertising to switch services.Now every call I make to them is pleasant and satisfactory, and I wouldn't think if switching because of poor service.I'm sure someone finally figured out the ROI for solid CS and it's now just good business rather than an unnecessary expense.

My recent experiences with both Xfinity and AT&T have been atrocious.

I'm finding that in the past 10 years customer service across the board has become better. From banks to cable providers to online retailers etc. Since there are so many choices for services with really not much to offer in differentiating product - they are making service the focus. I'm sure social media has played a part in this. You see bad reviews for companies with bad CS, and after enough of them people will not bother. A good example is cable. Where I am, Comcast was NOTORIOUS for horrid CS for years - so much so that competitors used that as the main driver for their advertising to switch services. Now every call I make to them is pleasant and satisfactory, and I wouldn't think if switching because of poor service. I'm sure someone finally figured out the ROI for solid CS and it's now just good business rather than an unnecessary expense.

Keep it off-topic, douche. :mad:

A couple of years ago I would have said Directv. But since the merger with the death star, it's gone downhill considerably.

Now I'd go with Dyson or Apple.

The lease on my Galaxy s7 is up next month - one of my options was to purchase the device outright for $166........ Called today and asked them if they were interested in eating the $166, giving me the phone outright...They balked at first, then offered me a $66 credit towards the $166 - asked how that was? I said it was $100 short - told them I had already paid in over $500 in lease payments as it was, told them $166 seemed like a small number to Verizon - that they'd gladly give me a phone to switch.

Next thing I know, I have a full credit for $166 and T-Mobile is eating my balance - giving me the phone.

T-Mobile with the Good Customer Service call of the day. :music_guitarred:

Is good customer service a thing that exists anymore?

The only time I ever get it is in dealing with premium brands. And even then you cant rely on it. Im almost shocked when I do get good customer service anymore. Hell if the person who answers my call speaks English Im grateful.

I'm finding that in the past 10 years customer service across the board has become better.From banks to cable providers to online retailers etc.Since there are so many choices for services with really not much to offer in differentiating product - they are making service the focus.I'm sure social media has played a part in this. You see bad reviews for companies with bad CS, and after enough of them people will not bother.A good example is cable. Where I am, Comcast was NOTORIOUS for horrid CS for years - so much so that competitors used that as the main driver for their advertising to switch services.Now every call I make to them is pleasant and satisfactory, and I wouldn't think if switching because of poor service.I'm sure someone finally figured out the ROI for solid CS and it's now just good business rather than an unnecessary expense.

I love the ham handed companies who try to make service a focus and just end up p!ssing you off.

The local BMW dealership was a great example. Go in for an oil change or whatever. Service was fine.

But then you get seventeen phone calls asking you to complete a short survey the next day. And heaven help you if you give them a 4 instead of a five. Then you will get deluged in calls and emails.

My last interaction with Comcast customer service (this was maybe five years ago) p!ssed me off so bad I disconnected the WiFi router and cable box and was standing in line at the center to return it before I ever even got off hold. Had uverse later that day.

I love the ham handed companies who try to make service a focus and just end up p!ssing you off.

The local BMW dealership was a great example. Go in for an oil change or whatever. Service was fine.

But then you get seventeen phone calls asking you to complete a short survey the next day. And heaven help you if you give them a 4 instead of a five. Then you will get deluged in calls and emails.

My last interaction with Comcast customer service (this was maybe five years ago) p!ssed me off so bad I disconnected the WiFi router and cable box and was standing in line at the center to return it before I ever even got off hold. Had uverse later that day.

They dont care about customer service. Theyre just determined to get YOU to say the service was good because then youre more likely to come back. Youre not a liar so the service mustve been good so why wouldnt you go there again? Its basic psychology

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Capital One can suck a fat one. I've had an open line of credit with them for over 14 years and they refuse to lower my interest rate.

Capital One can suck a fat one. I've had an open line of credit with them for over 14 years and they refuse to lower my interest rate.

What should your interest rate be?

Is good customer service a thing that exists anymore?

The only time I ever get it is in dealing with premium brands. And even then you cant rely on it. Im almost shocked when I do get good customer service anymore. Hell if the person who answers my call speaks English Im grateful.

I don't think it's a premium brand thing. I've had good experiences with all sorts of companies; you just have to look at little to find the ones who get it.

What should your interest rate be?

Lower than what it was when I got the card at 18 years old, with no credit. Yeah, I know - cancel the card and get a new one, but that's besides the point. Loyalty should go two ways. And it will, I suppose. I'll wind up getting a card with another provider. Just sucks to have to close such an old account since having established accounts is beneficial to my credit score.

Racist Samuel L Jackson gots to get paid.

Lower than what it was when I got the card at 18 years old, with no credit. Yeah, I know - cancel the card and get a new one, but that's besides the point. Loyalty should go two ways. And it will, I suppose. I'll wind up getting a card with another provider. Just sucks to have to close such an old account since having established accounts is beneficial to my credit score.

If you're paying cc interest, you're doing it wrong.