Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Have a son turning 16. Car talk inside

Getting a 3rd vehicle when the oldest turns 16 in a few months. Going to buy used and it will be his to use.

Must have 4 wheel and some ground clearance. Any suggestions are welcome.

We live out of town and he needs his own ride. Finally!

Love my 4 runner. 12 years old and running strong. Does well off road as well. Great all around vehicle.

• Like 1

Where do you live? Rural pa?

What quadrant of the state, north, south, etc.

• Like 1

Regular cab PU. Can't fit too many in there with him. Also, something that you only have to carry liability only with (no loan). Will save you a shitload on insurance. Lastly, make sure he has a "B" average or better, generally saves you 25%. If not, make him pay the difference. Good luck.

• Like 1

Stick with Toyota.

You'll thank me later.

4 runner? Highlander? Sequoia?

Manual or auto?

Any years better than others? To avoid?

Rust issues areas to inspect?

Thanks a ton.

Regular cab PU. Can't fit too many in there with him. Also, something that you only have to carry liability only with (no loan). Will save you a shitload on insurance. Lastly, make sure he has a "B" average or better, generally saves you 25%. If not, make him pay the difference. Good luck.

Great info. Thank you. What major carrier are you with..?

My son got his license back in November. He wanted a truck with 4WD. I bought a Honda Civic. Still handles well enough in the winter and much better on gas mileage. I was not going to spend a ton of money on it either as he will probably end up crashing it up. Insurance was through the roof to add him, but it is what it is.

So far, so good (knocks wood).

Great info. Thank you. What major carrier are you with..?

Independent. Represent several carriers. Main ones are Nationwide, Auto-Owners, Grinnell Mutual and Progressive. Along with a few state wide mutual's

Getting a 3rd vehicle when the oldest turns 16 in a few months. Going to buy used and it will be his to use.

Must have 4 wheel and some ground clearance. Any suggestions are welcome.

We live out of town and he needs his own ride. Finally!

Tired of him giving his boyfriend car head, now you want him to take the wheel?

My son got his license back in November. He wanted a truck with 4WD. I bought a Honda Civic. Still handles well enough in the winter and much better on gas mileage. I was not going to spend a ton of money on it either as he will probably end up crashing it up. Insurance was through the roof to add him, but it is what it is.

So far, so good (knocks wood).

Shop around before he gets any tickets or accidents. Rates on young drivers can very hugely.

Why don't you or your wife get a newer car and give him the older one?

First car was an old Jeep Wrangler, was an awesome first car. Took the roof off, took the doors off. Good times

Independent. Represent several carriers. Main ones are Nationwide, Auto-Owners, Grinnell Mutual and Progressive. Along with a few state wide mutual's

Why don't you or your wife get a newer car and give him the older one?

We may. I have an Avalanche and wife, 36C, has a Tahoe. She thinks the Tahoe is too big for a first car.

First car was an old Jeep Wrangler, was an awesome first car. Took the roof off, took the doors off. Good times

I'm leaning this way. But I would drive it plenty too.

I'm leaning this way. But I would drive it plenty too.

They are a lot of fun. Also an older one you can actually work on it. I learned how to do oil changes on it, rotate tires, fix the crappy soft top. Learned a lot from that car

Shop around before he gets any tickets or accidents. Rates on young drivers can very hugely.

I am in MA, so we don't have as many options because the state regulates the prices. We have a pretty good agent who takes care of us based on a little shopping around in the past. AAA discounts and having decent grades helps with some of the savings, but kids are just more expensive to insure because of their accident rate.

I think that he cost us an extra $1,300 per year and he pays for that.

My first vehicle was an 86 suburban. Held a full size air mattress in the back with the seats down.

My old man thought he was funny. Bought me a 78 Ford Fairmont station wagon off the nun's in town. You could still see their name on the door panel. I got the last laugh. Plenty of room to bed down the catholic girls in the back. :banana:

• Like 1

They are a lot of fun. Also an older one you can actually work on it. I learned how to do oil changes on it, rotate tires, fix the crappy soft top. Learned a lot from that car

The Cj-8 is what I really want.

Rural Pa dead nuts in the middle. ;)

I remember where people live, although you never gave that specific of a details before.

My parents are from Altoona and i still have many cousins, aunts, and uncles that live in that general area. I have a grandpa that is still alive at 88 that i visited 2 years ago and that was the last time i was in the area.

Get him a 5000 dollar porsche, how can you go wrong.

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/porsche-924/6529225410.html

My first car was a 1976 98 olds ... held 20 and was a total party barge. Trunk could hold 6 bags of golf clubs.

Amazing vehicle

Subaru. If he's ghey. lesbian

When is mileage a concern?

I have the 4 runner with the 4.0 (I think). it's the V-6 anyways. Has 110k and runs like the day I bought it.

• Like 1

When is mileage a concern?

It's got a timing chain vs belt, so it will last a lot longer.

I got mine at 93,000 miles and still had to pay 15k for it. (2006)

It's got a timing chain vs belt, so it will last a lot longer.

I got mine at 93,000 miles and still had to pay 15k for it. (2006)

Funny, I've always pictured you more of a Prius type. :dunno:

Why do you add your kid to your auto insurance policy?

Never understood why people want to pay the insurance crooks more money.

Any licensed driver is covered to drive my cars. They don’t need to know who and when.

I have made claims against them so dont claim they wont cover it when the kid plows into stuff.