Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Bye week players won't get paid this week

Always assumed that playoff players made more money in postseason games than they did in regular season. Sort of like the Pro Bowl I guessed, with a little extra tossed in on top.

As it turns out, that is almost the opposite of the real case. For one thing, players' contracts (pay-wise) do not apply in postseason. What...? For another...well, read on:

Ben Volin @BenVolin 3h3 hours ago

Reminder that as NFL players risk life and limb in sub-freezing temps today, they'll do so for a fraction of the pay.

Players get paid in the postseason, but for many of them, it’s a significant pay cut. In this weekend’s wild-card games, division winners get $27,000 per player while wild-card teams get $24,000 per player. To put that in perspective, $24,000 per week equals $408,000 for a 17-week regular season, or about $42,000 less than the league minimum this season. To put it another way, Ben Roethlisberger will make about 1/38th of his normal weekly salary of $1.04 million.

All players will make $27,000 in the divisional round, $49,000 in the conference championship game, and $107,000 for the winning Super Bowl team and $53,000 for the losing team.

Before you roll your eyes, just remember that the players still incur the same risk of significant or even life-changing injury during the playoffs, but for a fraction of the pay.

And actually, upon further review, players on byes DON'T get paid this week. The Patriots, Chiefs, Cowboys and Falcons practice for free pic.twitter.com/0ncc1oQ98Q

And teams on a bye this weekend didn’t even get paid for work last week. No wonder the Patriots conducted only two practices, and the Chiefs sent their players home altogether.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2017/01/07/ben-volin-here-biggest-question-facing-each-non-playoff-team-this-offseason/EK3xnDyZ0QPv0OCXCRiGiO/story.html

Ohz no. Next thing we'll see top NFL players treating the playoffs like top college football players treat bowl games and start sitting out. (Sarcasm)

How can they afford to eat on that little.

Boo woo I'm shedding tears for them tonight.

If I was them I was quit playing in this dangerous game and get a real job making 10 dollars an hour.

That will show the NFL.

Folks, always side with the players. The owners are making extra big cash sitting in their heated luxury boxes and get entertained on a discount. It's messed up.

• Like 1

I don't get the hate for players sometimes on this issue.

Yeah they're making a ton of money in comparison to the average citizen, but they're still the workers just like most of us are, and the profits that the ownership is taking in on these games specifically is exponentially higher than the workers that are providing the actual on field product.

Them complaining about their boss making exponentially more than them is the exact same argument that we make about our bosses making exponentially more than we do. Just because their salary is in the six or seven figures doesn't mean it's different, because their bosses ownership stake is often in the billions. The ratio is the same.

Workers are workers still.

Always assumed that playoff players made more money in postseason games than they did in regular season. Sort of like the Pro Bowl I guessed, with a little extra tossed in on top.

You know what they say about assuming........

The fact is that any playoff payouts are over and above a player's negotiated contract. If the owners were really clever, they would structure contracts based on 19 or 20 games played. Then, if their team didn't make the playoffs, they would only have to pay their players for the 16 games played.

Yes, but. Isn't this all bonus money? If Russell Wilson got $27,000 for playing this week. That's not part of his yearly salary thats broken down through 17 weeks. That's on top of his normal contract. So even though by a weekly breakdown he was under paid. He was actually over paid because of playoff bonus money.

Or am I reading this wrong?

You know what they say about assuming........

The fact is that any playoff payouts are over and above a player's negotiated contract. If the owners were really clever, they would structure contracts based on 19 or 20 games played. Then, if their team didn't make the playoffs, they would only have to pay their players for the 16 games played.

Beat me to it.

Showboat, or Showoff?

:-)

I don't know the logistics, but it just seems like something they should be able to figure out.

The game itself brings in revenue, which they should be able to track from historical data. That revenue should then be split equally as the same owner/player revenue split percentage. Then split that between the two teams. Then the team splits based on each player's normal percentage of team's salary cap?

Now for all I know when we break it down that far amongst the 120 or so players involved in this one game, maybe it does average out closer to that $27k; I honestly have no idea how much these one individual games bring in.

Beat me to it.

Showboat, or Showoff?

:-)

why would you be against the player's getting their fair share of the added revenue?

The players are the workers and they are getting paid to work right ?

It's all good.

The players are the workers and they are getting paid to work right ?

It's all good.

well their pay should be within the same revenue split that any similar regular season game would bring in was the point.

They are still getting paid to play.

Like you said they are the workers and deserve to get paid for doing their job.

And they do.

well their pay should be within the same revenue split that any similar regular season game would bring in was the point.

That's an interesting point.
The salary cap/floor is based on a percentage of all league revenues. I'd assume any player payouts for playoff games are negotiated and deducted off the top when calculating the cap for each team.
Clearly, the Super Bowl generates more revenue than any other individual game (based on ticket prices, TV revenue, etc.). If you really wanted to tie player compensation to participation in the games that generate the most revenue, most of the player money would go only to the two teams participating in the Super Bowl. I don't think that the players (union) would go for that. In any case, I don't think it is so easy to really quantify because the Super Bowl by itself is meaningless without all the regular season and playoff games that lead up to it.
It's kind of the same argument for revenue sharing in the first place (i.e. the New York media market can afford to give the home team more TV/radio broadcast dollars than say the KC media market, but there is no money to be had at all if the New York team doesn't have an opponent to play against).

Yes, but. Isn't this all bonus money? If Russell Wilson got $27,000 for playing this week. That's not part of his yearly salary thats broken down through 17 weeks. That's on top of his normal contract. So even though by a weekly breakdown he was under paid. He was actually over paid because of playoff bonus money.

Or am I reading this wrong?

Not worth the risk. Any other sport maybe it's not a big deal.

Russel could break his neck on any of these extra snaps. Paid a pittance and his career is over. For what? The player inherits all the risk.

For the pleasure of playing Qb in the NFL , and getting paid 27000 that's a good enough reason for me.

Not worth the risk. Any other sport maybe it's not a big deal.

Russel could break his neck on any of these extra snaps. Paid a pittance and his career is over. For what? The player inherits all the risk.

Are you being serious? If there were no playoff games or Super Bowl, there would be no multi-million dollar contracts.

I don't think that any reasonable person would conclude that a players contract does not come with the obligation for that player to participate in playoff games and practice sessions unless truly injured (and I can't imagine that contracts don't already include such language). The fact that player salaries are paid out in 16 game checks is pure semantics

Furthermore, I think that the players much prefer to be paid millions of dollars for 16 regular season games and a "pittance" for playoff games rather than relying on their team to make it deep into the playoffs in order to see a mega-payday.

The big payoff is called the Super Bowl.

Wow I can only imagine what that would like to participate in one.

It would be worth that ex money.

For the pleasure of playing Qb in the NFL , and getting paid 27000 that's a good enough reason for me.

for the pleasure of playing QB in the NFL? Why are they supposed to be compensated by feelings and not based on the fact that 60k people pay $100 (minimum often) a pop to watch them do their job, and sponsors and TV stations pay millions.

they're worldclass elite at what they do, even if you personally don't value it, which you clearly don't. they deserve to be compensated like worldclass elite

people do.

• Like 1

World class elite people.

How sad of a statement is that.

Please don't place them above anyone else.

They just play a game.

And get paid darn good to do so.

Look of they don't like it , then they can find something else to do.

Oh yeah just like everyone else.

We are all made from the same creator and that's God.

Stop placing someone that gets paid to play a game on a pedestal.

You me and everyone else is just has good and in the same class.

Employing pious maunderings as a passive/aggressive tactic on a freaking football forum tends to accentuate obnoxiousness.

Kindly can the preaching.

World class elite people.

How sad of a statement is that.

Please don't place them above anyone else.

They just play a game.

And get paid darn good to do so.

Look of they don't like it , then they can find something else to do.

Oh yeah just like everyone else.

We are all made from the same creator and that's God.

Stop placing someone that gets paid to play a game on a pedestal.

You me and everyone else is just has good and in the same class.

dude, do you not understand economics?

it doesn't matter that they "play a game," as you say. they "play a game" that people have determined should be a billion dollar industry. if people have determined that what these people do, no matter how trivial it may be, merits a billion dollar industry, than they get to share in those profits handsomely. otherwise it's just money lining the owners pockets, who nobody pays to go see.

it's not about "placing them above," anyone, but in fact recognizing what they're accomplishing. I know I'm much smarter them and I do very well for myself as a businessman, but I am not world class in anything, and 60k people don't pay $100 minimum to watch me do my job. But I support them because I support a capitalist society where your economic value should be inline with the revenue you produce, and they are the top of the top in a billion dollar industry.

if you don't want to think of it that way, then you're not worth my time.

Last I saw they make a paycheck.

What ever deal that's on the table about how much they get paid to play in the playoffs is up to them and the owners.

But I'm not going to ever place them up on a pedestal and call them world class people.

They get paid the money that they where offered .

I can't change that and neither can you.

I'm not going to feel sad for them , they play a game and get paid a lot of money and have the previous of doing so.

It would have been great to have been blessed with the ability to play in the NFL

Last I saw they make a paycheck.

What ever deal that's on the table about how much they get paid to play in the playoffs is up to them and the owners.

But I'm not going to ever place them up on a pedestal and call them world class people.

They get paid the money that they where offered .

I can't change that and neither can you.

I'm not going to feel sad for them , they play a game and get paid a lot of money and have the previous of doing so.

It would have been great to have been blessed with the ability to play in the NFL

not "world class" people, world class "producers."

world class "people" is subjective, but world class "producers" is a fact.

Do they get paid to play in the playoff ?

Ok hey thanks for the reply it's been a lot of fun to chat with you.

One thing some of you are overlooking is that the biggest revenue stream for the NFL is the TV deal. The playoffs are a part of that... which means, the salary cap is affected by it. So, every time a player is signing a contract, he's getting the benefit of the playoff TV money whether he plays in the playoffs or not. In a way, the players are already getting a bump in their weekly pay for the playoffs before they even make it there. If the players want more of a playoff share, all they have to do is renegotiate the numbers when it comes to the CBA. All they have to do is take less money during the year.

I just did a google search on playoff shares and another thing I find humorous is that I didn't see a single quote from any player complaining about their pay... yet, there's people on this message board doing it. Hmmm....

• Like 1

The playoffs generally are the icing on the cake for owners. it is extra revenue that was not part of the original budget.

That being said, players may not be paid as much for playoff games, But a good playoff performer generally gets better offers in the free agent market so performing during the playoffs (regardless of money) quite often pays for itself in the long run.

One thing some of you are overlooking is that the biggest revenue stream for the NFL is the TV deal. The playoffs are a part of that... which means, the salary cap is affected by it. So, every time a player is signing a contract, he's getting the benefit of the playoff TV money whether he plays in the playoffs or not. In a way, the players are already getting a bump in their weekly pay for the playoffs before they even make it there. If the players want more of a playoff share, all they have to do is renegotiate the numbers when it comes to the CBA. All they have to do is take less money during the year.

I just did a google search on playoff shares and another thing I find humorous is that I didn't see a single quote from any player complaining about their pay... yet, there's people on this message board doing it. Hmmm....

As someone who was advocating in this thread for the players, I should add that I wouldn't want the players to be complaining publically either. They have a union and their agreement has been collectively bargained, so don't complain to the public about your situation. If you think it's a raw deal, then bring that up during the next CBA negotiations.

In comparison to the college situation, they don't have a union or ability to collectively bargain, so I am okay with them publically airing their grievances.

Thank you.

I agree, the players have their deal , now live with it.

Looks like everyone in sports , the players and owners are winning when it comes to making a good living.

Are you being serious? If there were no playoff games or Super Bowl, there would be no multi-million dollar contracts.

I don't think that any reasonable person would conclude that a players contract does not come with the obligation for that player to participate in playoff games and practice sessions unless truly injured (and I can't imagine that contracts don't already include such language). The fact that player salaries are paid out in 16 game checks is pure semantics

Furthermore, I think that the players much prefer to be paid millions of dollars for 16 regular season games and a "pittance" for playoff games rather than relying on their team to make it deep into the playoffs in order to see a mega-payday.

Players would much prefer making equal or more money playing additional games and risking the end of their careers which could be spent signing another deal. You're delusional.

Ask Jordy Nelson how he's doing right now. Let's say he can't recover. Then next year he's not the same guy and misses out on another big deal. Wonder how he's feeling.

Thank you.

I agree, the players have their deal , now live with it.

Looks like everyone in sports , the players and owners are winning when it comes to making a good living.

The NFL is so violent and short lived the players aren't winning. This isn't a normal job. You're acting like ruining your body is some normal gig. The brutal nature of this sport always has me side with the players for this reason. Anyone siding with an owner is narrow sighted.

• Like 1

Players would much prefer making equal or more money playing additional games and risking the end of their careers which could be spent signing another deal. You're delusional.

If that were the case, the players and their union would have negotiated the CBA that way. They are clearly more concerned with getting their overall fair share of the revenues and lighter practice schedules rather than ensuring that their playoff check is equal to or greater than their normal game check. You'd better re-evaluate who is being delusional.....

If that were the case, the players and their union would have negotiated the CBA that way. They are clearly more concerned with getting their overall fair share of the revenues and lighter practice schedules rather than ensuring that their playoff check is equal to or greater than their normal game check. You'd better re-evaluate who is being delusional.....

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

I don't disagree how tough the sport is on the players.

They should get paid as much as they bargain for.

And this is the deal that they came up with.

And they should get paid the full amount they negotiated for.