Sign in to follow this  
Eagles Green

Black Friday TV deals

Still on the hunt for a new TV. Find any amazing deals out there?

:wave:

Black Friday...what are you, racist? :mad:

I am, thanks for noticing

Black Friday...what are you, racist? :mad:

No, he wants to know the best place to steal one.

If you're not willing to stand in line for 10 hours on Thanksgiving, the best time for a brand name TV is the Super Bowl.

handitard doesn't worry about lines.

handitard doesn't worry about lines.

:thumbsup:

No, he wants to know the best place to steal one.

Ferguson, MO

There is a 50" LCD on thanksgiving at Best Buy for 200 dollars. I am debating whether I want to stand in line for it. I think I would need to get there around 3 hours early.

Sorry this forearm is only for geeks who make six figures and therefore pay full price for everything.

I don't even have a TV, I either fly to my luxury box at the event or have them perform for me at home.

TVs are so poor people.

There is a 50" LCD on thanksgiving at Best Buy for 200 dollars. I am debating whether I want to stand in line for it. I think I would need to get there around 3 hours early.

What is your hourly wage?

What is your hourly wage?

If I worked an extra 3 hours on Thanksgiving I would have an extra 0 dollars to show for it. If I stood in line for 3 hours I would save 200 dollars on a big screen tv.

Cost benefit analysis in this case favors standing in line.

Our house is empty. We have 3 complete empty rooms and our current big screen tv is a 37 inch. We have been planning on buying a tv for 6 months, and have been looking for one in the 50 inch range that we can get as cheap as possible.

Any 50" LCD that can be had for $200 is almost guaranteed to be a pile of junk. Do yourself a favor and spend some more to buy a Samsung or LG.

Any 50" LCD that can be had for $200 is almost guaranteed to be a pile of junk. Do yourself a favor and spend some more to buy a Samsung or LG.

Cheapest one on Slickdeals is 40 inches and I have never heard of the brand, it is $279 and from Bestbuy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hisense-40-Class-40-Diag-LED-1080p-Smart-HDTV-/321559331303?customid=0f63d2c5ec4d4287a5bf7f0928039cb8&pub=5574652453&afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999

Yep, I got a 32" BF Deal last year for $100 to use exclusively outside until it died. Still going and I am happy with it. No way would I want it as a regular TV. $750 is about rock bottom for a really solid TV.

Yep, I got a 32" BF Deal last year for $100 to use exclusively outside until it died. Still going and I am happy with it. No way would I want it as a regular TV. $750 is about rock bottom for a really solid TV.

Depends on the size, you can get a good 50" for 6-700, just have to know what you are looking for...

Those black friday specials are made with cheaper components specifically for that sale...

The Best Buy one is a Panasonic.

Most stores have a super cheap name brand TV as a doorbuster deal. Limited quantities, of course.

Depends on the size, you can get a good 50" for 6-700, just have to know what you are looking for...

Those black friday specials are made with cheaper components specifically for that sale...

True, but usually those deals are on models that are 2 years old. Still very good TVs. Anyone who does their homework can get a great deal outside of the BF crap.

First off, how would you know that?

Secondly, anyone who stands in line for 3-10 hours hoping to be one of the few to get a "deal" on one of 5 or 6 TVs they have in stock at that price....is a moron, IMO.

Lastly, Adrian Peterson is on pace to break the all time NFL rushing record.

600-700 on a TV! no way, I am too poor :(

Someday i might be able to afford that.

Has the Samsung Curved 4K TV come down from 10K yet? Not buying a new TV till I can get that one without paying 5X what it will be in a years

If I worked an extra 3 hours on Thanksgiving I would have an extra 0 dollars to show for it. If I stood in line for 3 hours I would save 200 dollars on a big screen tv.

Cost benefit analysis in this case favors standing in line.

Our house is empty. We have 3 complete empty rooms and our current big screen tv is a 37 inch. We have been planning on buying a tv for 6 months, and have been looking for one in the 50 inch range that we can get as cheap as possible.

Maybe, but I value my free time more than my hourly wage. If you chose not to stand in line for 3 hours, you could do something you enjoy instead. Or at least something less horrific than fighting holiday shoppers. And the couple hundred dollars you'll save won't mean much in the grand scheme of things - it won't allow you to retire earlier or buy something else which you couldn't afford otherwise.

Better yet, keep the 37 inch TV until it no longer works, at which point 50 inch TVs will be even cheaper.

600-700 on a TV! no way, I am too poor :(

Someday i might be able to afford that.

If two engineers (or even one) can't afford a $600 TV, most of the country would still be listening to radio.

Maybe, but I value my free time more than my hourly wage. If you chose not to stand in line for 3 hours, you could do something you enjoy instead. Or at least something less horrific than fighting holiday shoppers. And the couple hundred dollars you'll save won't mean much in the grand scheme of things - it won't allow you to retire earlier or buy something else which you couldn't afford otherwise.

Better yet, keep the 37 inch TV until it no longer works, at which point 50 inch TVs will be even cheaper.

We are keeping the 37" tv.

We have 3 completely empty rooms, and i mean absolutely nothing in them, including our living room. My wife wants to get a couch and tv for the living room. She thinks we can get by with another 37-40" range tv for 200 dollars, but i think we should get a 50 inch tv.

As to your other point about not being to retire early. Our whole lifestyle should let us retire very comfortably at an early age, and part of that lifestyle is not buying nice things. You should see my car, my wife and I probably own the 2 cheapest cars of anyone on the geek club, our electronics are cheap, etc.

We are keeping the 37" tv.

We have 3 completely empty rooms, and i mean absolutely nothing in them, including our living room. My wife wants to get a couch and tv for the living room. She thinks we can get by with another 37-40" range tv for 200 dollars, but i think we should get a 50 inch tv.

As to your other point about not being to retire early. Our whole lifestyle should let us retire very comfortably at an early age, and part of that lifestyle is not buying nice things. You should see my car, my wife and I probably own the 2 cheapest cars of anyone on the geek club, our electronics are cheap, etc.

So you bought a house that's too large? And now you have to buy stuff to fill it? Doesn't sound too economical to me.

You and I share a lot of values, but I think you are sacrificing a valuable resource (time) for an inconsequential amount of $. If you are living paycheck-to-paycheck, go for it. Otherwise, I doubt you'll miss the money one bit.

I'm debating getting rid of my car altogether, but my bike may be more valuable than your car. Gocolts wheel chair is probably cheaper though.

Best time to buy a tv is jan feb. They bring out the new models and sell last years for CHEAP. The Tgiving stuff is crap.

If you want to save money, and still get a good brand tv...try something like the 720p 50 inch LG tv I got about two years back for $450. I think this is it.... (dang price hasn't changed much).

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11091369941235790965?q=50+inch+lg&biw=1920&bih=1076&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.79908130,d.eXY&tch=1&ech=1&psi=_g1sVJqiDYyXNtLhgOgC.1416367618444.5&ei=Bw5sVIqQBMqgNs-Wg9AM&ved=0CPQGEKYrMAs

Google "50 inch LG TV" and see what prices you get... LG is a respected brand and nearly all of their tv's are 1080i and they all cost around $400 more. When I was at the store buying it, I stared back and forth at all the 50 inch 1080's and then at the 720 and couldn't tell any difference... store dude said "yeah, anything less than 60 inches and it's dang near impossible to really see a difference." I concurred and saved myself several hundred.

Two years later and my LG still has excellent picture and sound. Whatever tv you buy, LG gets the official GobbleDog Product Approval Award. :thumbsup:

So you bought a house that's too large? And now you have to buy stuff to fill it? Doesn't sound too economical to me.

You and I share a lot of values, but I think you are sacrificing a valuable resource (time) for an inconsequential amount of $. If you are living paycheck-to-paycheck, go for it. Otherwise, I doubt you'll miss the money one bit.

I'm debating getting rid of my car altogether, but my bike may be more valuable than your car. Gocolts wheel chair is probably cheaper though.

We did not buy too large of house. We have the smallest house in our subdivision. It is impossible to buy a house with less than 2500 square feet in a good school district in Houston.

Our house has 3 bedrooms which is good because we are planning on 2 kids, it also has a 2 living rooms which will also be good for when there are 2 kids. It is just right now we have 0 kids, but 1 on the way.

And for what it is worth our house was only 200,000. We have pink striped wallpaper in our kitchen, pink tiles, gold colored fixtures, etc. It is about the tackiest looking nice house you could imagine.

Don't buy some crap off brand, especially in electronics. Do your research and buy from amazon. Panasonic plasma is the best in 50" and above. If you have to get LCD, picture is inferior, get Sony, Samsung or LG.

We did not buy too large of house. We have the smallest house in our subdivision. It is impossible to buy a house with less than 2500 square feet in a good school district in Houston.

Our house has 3 bedrooms which is good because we are planning on 2 kids, it also has a 2 living rooms which will also be good for when there are 2 kids. It is just right now we have 0 kids, but 1 on the way.

And for what it is worth our house was only 200,000. We have pink striped wallpaper in our kitchen, pink tiles, gold colored fixtures, etc. It is about the tackiest looking nice house you could imagine.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Spend your money and time however you see fit.

Relative to earnings, I wonder who really is the most frugal of the Geeks?

Best time to buy a tv is jan feb. They bring out the new models and sell last years for CHEAP. The Tgiving stuff is crap.

New TV models come out in May-June, But yes when the new ones come out, the old ones get real cheap. Target and Walmart are your best bets to get an extremely good deal at this time.

I've always had great luck getting the floor models or scratch and dent specials

I've always had great luck getting the floor models or scratch and dent specials

Agreed, usually look for the same. Craigslist right after Christmas is a good place for used stuff, even cheaper.

Agreed, usually look for the same. Craigslist right after Christmas is a good place for used stuff, even cheaper.

and to find hookers and blow