Sign in to follow this  
crackattack

Nationalism

Somebody needs to explain to me why this has become a bad word. Why is it wrong to want to put Americans first? For instance, I care more about Worms family the I do about a French family. Why, because they're American. Now, I hope nothing bad would ever happen to said French family, but they are not my responsibility or problem.

What's wrong with wanting American families to prosper more then families in other countries? Again, they're not my/your/our governments responsibility.

If it's a immigration issue or illegal immigration problem, then people aren't listening to the message. Coming here legal is all people want. We are a nation of laws, we don't pick and choose which we want to follow. Either change the law, or follow them.

Now, I do know nationalism mixed with racism and xenophobia is a problem. I just don't see it here. There is nothing wrong, or new, with wanting to ban a region from gaining access to America. It's been done before, and will happen again. Jimmy Carter (I'm pretty sure) has never been considered a racist, or xenophobe, yet he did the exact thing Trump is calling for.

I know this is a lot of words, but I'm really curious, and hope it can stay civil long enough for a semi-serious discussion. Won't hold my breath, but we'll see.

What makes nationalism so bad?

• Like 2

Somebody needs to explain to me why this has become a bad word. Why is it wrong to want to put Americans first? For instance, I care more about Worms family the I do about a French family. Why, because they're American. Now, I hope nothing bad would ever happen to said French family, but they are not my responsibility or problem.

What's wrong with wanting American families to prosper more then families in other countries? Again, they're not my/your/our governments responsibility.

If it's a immigration issue or illegal immigration problem, then people aren't listening to the message. Coming here legal is all people want. We are a nation of laws, we don't pick and choose which we want to follow. Either change the law, or follow them.

Now, I do know nationalism mixed with racism and xenophobia is a problem. I just don't see it here. There is nothing wrong, or new, with wanting to ban a region from gaining access to America. It's been done before, and will happen again. Jimmy Carter (I'm pretty sure) has never been considered a racist, or xenophobe, yet he did the exact thing Trump is calling for.

I know this is a lot of words, but I'm really curious, and hope it can stay civil long enough for a semi-serious discussion. Won't hold my breath, but we'll see.

Because the answer to American prosperity in the eyes of the government is war. I don't support that.

When did becoming number 1 become more important than being free? If I was truly free, able to provide for my family I don't give to sh!t's what categories we are at the top of the list in. Unless it is happiness.

Because the answer to American prosperity in the eyes of the government is war. I don't support that.

When did becoming number 1 become more important than being free? If I was truly free, able to provide for my family I don't give to sh!t's what categories we are at the top of the list in. Unless it is happiness.

#1 in "categories" isn't important to me either. What is important to me is that our country and it's citizens be taken care of or looked after first. I don't want or care to spread democracy to countries unwilling or unable to fight or defend it. No nation building.

Maybe it's cliche, but isn't it sort of stupid to be proud of something you had no control over?

I'm proud of my daughter. I'm proud of myself, after I finish a complicated project, or run a 7 minute mile.

But, I'm not proud to be American. Thankful, yes. Lucky, yes. But not proud.

My moral compass and sense of community is more global I guess? I think a terrorist act in France is the same as one in America. I think people and the planet have a symbiotic relationship with one another, and the only real path to peace is no borders. I know it will never happen in my lifetime, and probably never... but to me that would be the perfect society.

• Like 1

I think there needs to be a balance, and macroeconomics are not so simple, sometimes a sacrifice in one industry leads to a wider benefit. I think there needs to be a certain amount of Nationalism, but its also easy to be stupid about it too......even at the micro level I observe really stupid decisions based on knee-jerk reactions.

Maybe it's cliche, but isn't it sort of stupid to be proud of something you had no control over?

I'm proud of my daughter. I'm proud of myself, after I finish a complicated project, or run a 7 minute mile.

My moral compass and sense of community is more global I guess? I think a terrorist act in France is the same as one in America. I think people and the planet have a symbiotic relationship with one another, and the only real path to peace is no borders. I know it will never happen in my lifetime, and probably never... but to me that would be the perfect society.

mobb - there is a lot of discussion out there about a future with no countries... the idea is that most people identify with cities and that city government / leaders are more effective at solving problems and improving life for citizens than the typical, bureaucratic, bloated, federal governments of the world.

Nationalism... in the USA that to me is pride in a philosophy of life: Freedom to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.... Truth, justice, and the American way... those are the ideals that I would fight for, be proud of, and follow.

But do you really think French families don't want life, liberty, and happiness?

And is America and our broken political system really the beacon of truth and justice that we once believed it was?

I think as the world becomes more connected... our penchant for nationalism is being replaced by... "humanism"??? Empathy for all people who want to live happy, peaceful, lives.

• Like 1

Good post. I don't disagree with the first point, but why not be proud of the nation that allows you to succeed. To be able to have a family in a prosperous nation. I know you could do the same in some countries, but you didn't.

I don't believe we have a symbiotic relationship. It's been proven throughout history that some regions, countries, people, just can't and won't get along. It's human nature. There will never be world peace due to that. So why not just accept that fact and protect our own first. I'm not saying abandon our friends abroad, but they shouldn't come first, or put equal to Americans in the eyes of our government.

I would say extreme nationalism of the sort we're beginning to see now can easily lead to jingoism and xenophobia. It's a small step from being overly proud of one's status as an American to blaming others when things aren't always rosy. Don't have a job? It's because of Mexicans coming across the border. Have to stand in line for an hour to get on a plane? It's the Muslims' fault. American products cost too much? Blame China.

When anger about those things gets stoked up enough, then someone steps in and tells you it's not your fault, it's their fault, and you vote for him/her because they're going to fix it by getting rid of/punishing whatever group/groups are supposedly at the root of your problems, and then what America stands for is lost.

Never really thought about it, but I agree with you 100%

I don't like anything which associates me with Cleveland.

I would say extreme nationalism of the sort we're beginning to see now can easily lead to jingoism and xenophobia. It's a small step from being overly proud of one's status as an American to blaming others when things aren't always rosy. Don't have a job? It's because of Mexicans coming across the border. Have to stand in line for an hour to get on a plane? It's the Muslims' fault. American products cost too much? Blame China.

When anger about those things gets stoked up enough, then someone steps in and tells you it's not your fault, it's their fault, and you vote for him/her because they're going to fix it by getting rid of/punishing whatever group/groups are supposedly at the root of your problems, and then what America stands for is lost.

I agree. To the extreme side of nationalism is bad. It does produce xenophobia, racism, etc etc. I'm not talking the extreme side, but it seems as being patriotic or having national pride, has become a bad trait.

I don't like anything which associates me with Cleveland.

:lol: now fock off :mad:

I agree. To the extreme side of nationalism is bad. It does produce xenophobia, racism, etc etc. I'm not talking the extreme side, but it seems as being patriotic or having national pride, has become a bad trait.

well... pretty much "extreme" anything is bad

I fly an American Flag at my house... and although I never really thought about it, I do it so show my support for an ideal, a philosophy, "shining city on a hill" and all that... I don't for one minute think that our country is that perfect city yet, but I hope we are working towards it.

And, I fly it our of respect for all those that died defending that ideal.

Nationalism? I guess. I'm proud to be American but moreso, I'm proud to support the ideas of life, liberty, and happiness for all.

well... pretty much "extreme" anything is bad

I fly an American Flag at my house... and although I never really thought about it, I do it so show my support for an ideal, a philosophy, "shining city on a hill" and all that... I don't for one minute think that our country is that perfect city yet, but I hope we are working towards it.

And, I fly it our of respect for all those that died defending that ideal.

Nationalism? I guess. I'm proud to be American but moreso, I'm proud to support the ideas of life, liberty, and happiness for all.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

AMERICA 1st!!! :doublethumbsup:

What is wrong with it? Nothing per se... I think we are all nationalistic to some degree.

But there are dangers.

1. It prevents us from taking an honest look at ourselves and getting better. I live in China, as you know. I see the effects of decades of brainwashing on a very obvious level. But you know what I realized? We have a more subtle form of the same here. Most Americans, even very sophisticated ones, are just automatically programed to believe certain things.

One of these is American exceptionalism. That we are the best. It isn't even an opinion, or a core belief for most of us, it is as ingrained in our psyche as water is wet and the sky is blue.

The problem with that is, exceptionalism has to be earned, and continually maintained. That requires a constant process of self evaluation and problem identification. We are not good at that. We are conditioned that any questioning of America is unpatriotic or even treasonous.

2. It is an easy way for an unscrupulous government (i.e. all of them) to manipulate us. "Us" vs. "them" is the oldest trick in the tyrants playbook. Make your own people think they are special, and that outsiders are not.

Every tyrant in history has done it. The Roman emperors. The Muslim caliphs. Hitler. The communists. Ghengis Kahn. Every last one.

Take my current home of China...

If you protest over there, nine times out of ten, your are looking for an ass beating at best.

But if it is for a pro china nationalist cause, they don't mind. As we speak there are protests and boycotts of American fast food chains, over this arbitration in the South China sea.

Why does Beijing allow those protests, but not any about human rights, religion, pollution, corruption in the government, etc.?

Because the former are useful. They send the message Beijing wants to other nations. And it lets the people blow off some steam and "protest" but in a way not threatening to the regime.

____

Bottom line, nationalism isn't bad per se. But like any "ism" it needs to be tempered with thought, reason, and moderation. Something we as humans generally suck at.

Why is Trump's version of nationalism abhorrent to many? Because it is a smokescreen. There is no substance to it. There is no real plan to fix any real problems. It is rah rah pandering "us vs. them" rally the troops garbage. And that is dangerous.

What is wrong with it? Nothing per se... I think we are all nationalistic to some degree.

But there are dangers.

1. It prevents us from taking an honest look at ourselves and getting better. I live in China, as you know. I see the effects of decades of brainwashing on a very obvious level. But you know what I realized? We have a more subtle form of the same here. Most Americans, even very sophisticated ones, are just automatically programed to believe certain things.

One of these is American exceptionalism. That we are the best. It isn't even an opinion, or a core belief for most of us, it is as ingrained in our psyche as water is wet and the sky is blue.

The problem with that is, exceptionalism has to be earned, and continually maintained. That requires a constant process of self evaluation and problem identification. We are not good at that. We are conditioned that any questioning of America is unpatriotic or even treasonous.

2. It is an easy way for an unscrupulous government (i.e. all of them) to manipulate us. "Us" vs. "them" is the oldest trick in the tyrants playbook. Make your own people think they are special, and that outsiders are not.

Every tyrant in history has done it. The Roman emperors. The Muslim caliphs. Hitler. The communists. Ghengis Kahn. Every last one.

If you protest over there, nine times out of ten, your are looking for an ass beating at best.

But if it is for a pro china nationalist cause, they don't mind. As we speak there are protests and boycotts of American fast food chains, over this arbitration in the South China sea.

Why does Beijing allow those protests, but not any about human rights, religion, pollution, corruption in the government, etc.?

Because the former are useful. They send the message Beijing wants to other nations. And it lets the people blow off some steam and "protest" but in a way not threatening to the regime.

____

Bottom line, nationalism isn't bad per se. But like any "ism" it needs to be tempered with thought, reason, and moderation. Something we as humans generally suck at.

Why is Trump's version of nationalism abhorrent to many? Because it is a smokescreen. There is no substance to it. There is no real plan to fix any real problems. It is rah rah pandering "us vs. them" rally the troops garbage. And that is dangerous.

Well done :thumbsup:

But there are dangers.

____

:thumbsup: good post. Specifically liked this:

"Bottom line, nationalism isn't bad per se. But like any "ism" it needs to be tempered with thought, reason, and moderation. Something we as humans generally suck at".

I asked a question on this forum years ago and it flew over the bored's collective heads in favor of troll fights.

What's the difference between nationalism and racism? There are thousands of examples of this. The Japs hate the Chinks, are overty racist about it. The chinese and virtually all Asian countries hate the Hmong. The French hate the N Africans. The ME treats Pakis like chattel. The Turks hate the Greeks and Armenians - and don't even get me started on the Roma in Europe or virtually any former Soviet state vs another. And that's the tip of the iceberg!

And that's why the hand-wringers - are so far off base her in the states. We're so ignorant and xenophobic that we have no global context on the matter. For example, we're racist if we object to a school flying a Mexican (a seperate sovereign nation) flag in Amurica? Think we're racist? How many times did sports fans throw bananas on the court at an NBA game? Becuase that damn sure has happened elsewhere on soccer pitches.

I asked a question on this forum years ago and it flew over the bored's collective heads in favor of troll fights.

What's the difference between nationalism and racism?

nationalism is acceptance or rejection based on geography.

racism is acceptance or rejection based on genetics

Case closed. :overhead:

What's the difference between nationalism and racism? There are thousands of examples of this. The Japs hate the Chinks, are overty racist about it. The chinese and virtually all Asian countries hate the Hmong. The French hate the N Africans. The ME treats Pakis like chattel. The Turks hate the Greeks and Armenians - and don't even get me started on the Roma in Europe or virtually any former Soviet state vs another. And that's the tip of the iceberg!

And that's why the hand-wringers - are so far off base her in the states. We're so ignorant and xenophobic that we have no global context on the matter. For example, we're racist if we object to a school flying a Mexican (a seperate sovereign nation) flag in Amurica? Think we're racist? How many times did sports fans throw bananas on the court at an NBA game? Becuase that damn sure has happened elsewhere on soccer pitches.

Most nations are defined demographically. Racially.

Ours is not. It is defined by a set of ideals. That is what made America such a radical, and at the time laughable, concept.

I have become fascinated by the idea of national consciousness. Or how a people sees itself.

When I came to China, I was excited to get to learn about another culture. I went into it with thoughts of suppressing my own, trying to immerse myself in the other.

What ended up happening is that, while yes, I did learn about theirs, I came away with insights into my own culture that made me appreciate it more. And also see its weaknesses.

The thing that makes Western culture unique, and the reason it has and continues to dominate the globe is its dynamism. We attack challenges. We think critically and find new ways to do things better. We are never satisfied with doing things the same way we have always done it.

Americans in particular tend to be exuberant idealists, even when compared to our co-westerners. We have a swagger. A confidence. We can do anything, and we know it. We do not worry about things like possible... we just focking get it done.

So to answer your question, are we better than most cultures when it comes to racism? Yes. Is that reason to accept our deficiencies as they are? No. Because that's not who we are. We strive for better. "Good enough" is not in the American psyche. That is why we rule the world, and will continue to if we can get our sh!t a little better together.

Case closed. :overhead:

until we get to the part where geography and natural selection played a critical role in genetic development.

and that will bring us full circle to the idea that America, the first immigrant nation, is the greatest because we've removed race/genetics from the acceptance equation and now only care that you're an American.

Which then really brings us to a discussion about Culture... it's not even about whether you're black or white or whether or not you're an American citizen and/or you live in MY neighborhood... I don't really give a FOCK where you live or what your recessive genes are... it's about your Culture... are you respectful, kind, and hard working? Have you adopted the philosophies of life, liberty, and happiness-for-all with a dash of Golden Rule, "do unto others" and all that?

Because in the end, THAT'S what matters, not where you're from or what race you are... it's simply, Are You An Ass Whole? And if you are, I'm gonna' hit you right in the Race or Geography Nuts b/c that's what'll make you cry the most and you crying is a happy outcome for me if you're an Ass Whole.

If I was truly free, able to provide for my family I don't give to sh!t's what categories we are at the top of the list in. Unless it is happiness.

I've asked you several times before, always given the same elusive, vague, gibberish answer.. How are you specially oppressed? What is it you are not allowed to do or what specific freedoms are restricted to you? You live in one of the most (if not the most) free countries in the world - you have no idea what it means to really be oppressed.

Well no shiit sherlock. I listed examples of specific nation-states hating people from other states. Do you need it explained for you?

Mexico<>USA

Korea<>Japan

Yet we're racist for not liking Mexican immigrants or their flags being displayed, but the Japs are Nationalists for the same thoughts/beliefs?

Because the American Left values their flawed ideology above truth, liberty and freedom.

Oh shut the fock up. People, on both sides, like you are a huge part of the reason we are in decline.

The vast majority of Americans are neither left nor right. Get over yourself.

Nationalism always feature racism. Look at the damn Nazis for crying out loud. If you weren't blonde haired and blue eyed you weren't really "German"

In Trump's America we know Hispanics and Muslims wouldn't really be American. Not sure it'd stop there either, hell add blacks to the list with that whole Birther nonsense

I've asked you several times before, always given the same elusive, vague, gibberish answer.. How are you specially oppressed? What is it you are not allowed to do or what specific freedoms are restricted to you? You live in one of the most (if not the most) free countries in the world - you have no idea what it means to really be oppressed.

A turd is still a turd, doesn't matter if it is the best one or not.

That argument sucks I hate it, go somewhere else! Yada yada, shut the hell up, the entire world needs to start fixing itself not just the US man.

By the way we aren't even that "free" and definitely not the most free, you blind old man.

Excellently put.

And I disagree with Worms...nationalism and racism definitely have overlap, but they by no means require each other.

until we get to the part where geography and natural selection played a critical role in genetic development.

and that will bring us full circle to the idea that America, the first immigrant nation, is the greatest because we've removed race/genetics from the acceptance equation and now only care that you're an American.

Which then really brings us to a discussion about Culture... it's not even about whether you're black or white or whether or not you're an American citizen and/or you live in MY neighborhood... I don't really give a FOCK where you live or what your recessive genes are... it's about your Culture... are you respectful, kind, and hard working? Have you adopted the philosophies of life, liberty, and happiness-for-all with a dash of Golden Rule, "do unto others" and all that?

Because in the end, THAT'S what matters, not where you're from or what race you are... it's simply, Are You An Ass Whole? And if you are, I'm gonna' hit you right in the Race or Geography Nuts b/c that's what'll make you cry the most and you crying is a happy outcome for me if you're an Ass Whole.

Until we have bred with each other so much you can distinctly tell if someone is American again.

All very good points.

Excellently put.

And I disagree with Worms...nationalism and racism definitely have overlap, but they by no means require each other.

Agree. :thumbsup:

A turd is still a turd, doesn't matter if it is the best one or not.

That argument sucks I hate it, go somewhere else! Yada yada, shut the hell up, the entire world needs to start fixing itself not just the US man.

By the way we aren't even that "free" and definitely not the most free, you blind old man.

So once AGAIN you have no answer.... Shocking. :doh:

So, once AGAIN, you have no answer.... Shocking. :doh:

You are asking me a question that literally has a million focking answers. Look around, we are NOT free. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If I want to do something, I don't give two sh!ts what it is, if it doesn't hurt you, or effect your life in any way, then I should be aloud to do whatever it is that I want to do. Is that to much to ask?

At some point, I don't know when it was exactly, Americans started to care more about saving 25 cents at Walmart and being #1 in categories that literally mean nothing or having nothing to do with a persons quality of life or happiness, so we have set restrictions and made rules and guidelines and have nearly made it impossible for people to get started in life. All so we could function as a more "well oiled" machine.

WHO FOCKING CARES. Who cares about being number one, I sure as sh!t don't care if we are the number one exporter of X and Y, I DON'T GIVE A SH!T. Let's be proud that we are FREE, and that is the only thing that we need to be proud of. THAT is American, not being number in some category that some suit told me we should be number one in.

If I want to do something, I don't give two sh!ts what it is, if it doesn't hurt you, or effect your life in any way, then I should be aloud to do whatever it is that I want to do.

I agree with you to a certain extent. The problem is that we are all connected to each other in society. Almost everything we do in some way impacts other people.

Leads to? Guess you didn't watch last night.