Sign in to follow this  
crackattack

Nationalism

Look around, we are NOT free. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If I want to do something, I don't give two sh!ts what it is, if it doesn't hurt you, or effect your life in any way, then I should be aloud to do whatever it is that I want to do. Is that to much to ask?

Perhaps it is you who should look around, we are free. You enjoy a freedom that prolly 99% of the world wishes it had.

But back to your point - okay, least you answered something (sort of).. When you live in a country with a population of 320 mil, you aren't going to be able to make everyone happy. You have to have laws, restrictions and yes - compromise. W/out it you have anarchy, a jungle. No we may not be able to everything our hearts desire - but in the grand scheme of things, the USA is not the twin brother of N. Korea like you so want to believe.

Nationalism always feature racism.

EXCEPT... in the USA... an immigrant nation where people of all races, genetics, etc are accepted and will fight side by side with one another to defend the ideals shared by a people from a common geographical location.

THIS right here is WHY America is the best (in theory at least).

Perhaps it is you who should look around, we are free. You enjoy a freedom that prolly 99% of the world wishes it had.

But back to your point - okay, least you answered something (sort of).. When you live in a country with a population of 320 mil, you aren't going to be able to make everyone happy. You have to have laws, restrictions and yes - compromise. W/out it you have anarchy, a jungle. No we may not be able to everything our hearts desire - but in the grand scheme of things, the USA is not the twin brother of N. Korea like you so want to believe.

Stop using that as your only point, well the rest of the world is less free... So thats that then? Because the rest of the world is less free, then we should just give up fighting for more freedom? Come on man, seriously, give it up, let go, admit it. That is the mindset of a society who has already admitted defeat.

Stop using that as your only point, well the rest of the world is less free... So thats that then? Because the rest of the world is less free, then we should just give up fighting for more freedom? Come on man, seriously, give it up, let go, admit it. That is the mindset of a society who has already admitted defeat.

I'll stop using the rest of the world when you nut up, stop quoting pre-scripted answers from the Revolutionary Soldier Handbook and start thinking for yourself. These half ass, vague bullshiat kid answers are a sign of ignorance and fear mongering... Pull your head out of your 20 year old video game raised ass and get a dose of reality - you have it pretty damn good kid.

It isn't even really true. 99% of the world isn't less free than us.

Actually, we are much more regulated than much of the world. There are far more cops here than in much of the world.

It is a strange dichotomy... in China, you are NOT free in certain BIG aspects... but in day to day life, nobody really gives a fock what you do.

It isn't even really true. 99% of the world isn't less free than us.

Actually, we are much more regulated than much of the world. There are far more cops here than in much of the world.

It is a strange dichotomy... in China, you are NOT free in certain BIG aspects... but in day to day life, nobody really gives a fock what you do.

I know, I just didn't want to confuse Cruzer more than I already have.

I know, I just didn't want to confuse Cruzer more than I already have.

You'd never have chance.

Honestly, a lot of the "less free" here is not even really government. We have become a country obsessed with safety. Its societal norms that have mainly changed.

I'm not even saying its a bad thing mind you. There is a lot of "freedom" in China that I am glad does not exist here (p!ssing and sh!tting in the street, hideously unsafe things, ZERO regulation of ANYTHING). I personally like that you can pretty much smoke wherever there, but I get that it is bad for society as a whole and wouldn't undo that here if I could.

Its the age old freedom versus safety thing. We largely chose safety.

Excellently put.

And I disagree with Worms...nationalism and racism definitely have overlap, but they by no means require each other.

You must have misunderstood me.

Of course you can have racism without nationalism.

And I guess theoretically you *could* have nationalism without racism but realistically that just isn't going to happen. When you're hyper nationalistic the question becomes who is truly included in the nation and that question often comes down to race or ethnicity.

EXCEPT... in the USA... an immigrant nation where people of all races, genetics, etc are accepted and will fight side by side with one another to defend the ideals shared by a people from a common geographical location.

THIS right here is WHY America is the best (in theory at least).

Yes but America has not been hyper nationalistic, at least not since before WWII. This is a new phenomenon in recent history

Maybe it's cliche, but isn't it sort of stupid to be proud of something you had no control over?

I'm proud of my daughter. I'm proud of myself, after I finish a complicated project, or run a 7 minute mile.

But, I'm not proud to be American. Thankful, yes. Lucky, yes. But not proud.

My moral compass and sense of community is more global I guess? I think a terrorist act in France is the same as one in America. I think people and the planet have a symbiotic relationship with one another, and the only real path to peace is no borders. I know it will never happen in my lifetime, and probably never... but to me that would be the perfect society.

Interesting you chose France as your comparison. They are similar to us, being a western culture and all. Do you think a terrorist attack in Iraq is the same as in America, though? Or how about this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/19/us-air-strike-in-syria-kills-up-to-85-civilians-mistaken-for-isi/

Its a semi-common occurance but we barely notice because theyre not "like us". 9 people die in Germany and its the only thing on the news. Hell, thats a good day in a lot of places.

If the first thing that pops in your head when talking about terrorism is France and America, then youre not thinking globally.

When I see the USA attacked by outsiders, I become the most ass kicking, flag waving, patriotic sum bich you've ever seen. I'll crank Toby Keith, Courtesy of the Red White and Blue, and get choked up about it. But when things settle down, I'll tell people don't be so arrogant, you're not better than everyone else in the world, and don't brag about being born here. You had nothing to do with it, and neither did I. I don't know what that says about me, but it's the way it is. I'll listen to a hippie or a BLM a-hole all day and riff and argue with them, but respect their right to say it, even though I have no respect for them or what they say. But if an outsider puts them down or was to attack them, somehow I would find myself defending them,, and hate them again when it was over. Maybe it's a neighborhood thing kinda? But on a bigger scale.

When I see the USA attacked by outsiders, I become the most ass kicking, flag waving, patriotic sum bich you've ever seen. I'll crank Toby Keith, Courtesy of the Red White and Blue, and get choked up about it. But when things settle down, I'll tell people don't be so arrogant, you're not better than everyone else in the world, and don't brag about being born here. You had nothing to do with it, and neither did I. I don't know what that says about me, but it's the way it is. I'll listen to a hippie or a BLM a-hole all day and riff and argue with them, but respect their right to say it, even though I have no respect for them or what they say. But if an outsider puts them down or was to attack them, somehow I would find myself defending them,, and hate them again when it was over. Maybe it's a neighborhood thing kinda? But on a bigger scale.

Wow you're a real mensch

Wow you're a real mensch

That's what I'm told.

I get what he's saying. Among fellow Americans, I'll talk sh!t and criticize.

The minute a foreigner wants to say some sh!t, we close ranks and 'merica!

I told some French girl she's welcome for not speaking German last year. Numerous Chinese people that they are welcome for not speaking Japanese.

It's like family. I can call em what I want. You can't.

Someone once called me a nationalist thinking they were offending me.