Sign in to follow this  
ppierce

Things you will not do in this years draft.

My #1 rule this year is i won't draft any Denver RB.

Its always a circus no matter what any of us or the "experts" say. Travis Henry WILL get nicked up and Mike Bell will come in and que the circus music. Plus throw in some other guy that nobody has ever heard of and you got yourself a 3 ring circus. Henry will go far to early in drafts. Let him go!!!

Its always a circus no matter what any of us or the "experts" say. Travis Henry WILL get nicked up and Mike Bell will come in and que the circus music. Plus throw in some other guy that nobody has ever heard of and you got yourself a 3 ring circus. Henry will go far to early in drafts. Let him go!!!

:dunno:

I will not overestimate the importance of RBs in the draft.

After Smith, Owens, Holt, Harrison, Wyane, Fitz, Chad, and maybe a couple others, the WR production really starts to drop. There were far more 1,000 yard RBs than WRs.

Not saying I'm gonna neglect the RB position, but I wanna get one of those top WRs for sure. I don't want a guy like Darrell Jackson or Hines Ward as my #1 WR.

i disagree. WR's are a dime a dozen. with more teams using a rbbc, it is more important then ever, to grab those RB's who are the main focus of their teams backfield.

its also en vogue to devalue the QB position. I say B.S. Having a good solid QB that you can throw in there every week is huge. i struggled last year with Kitna and Hasselback. I think this year i'm going RB, RB, QB, RB and will worry about WR's later.

draft lawrence tynes

draft anyone from Oaktown..... :D

undervalue WR's. like scherber830 said, there is a dropoff from the ones he listed.

Championship!

That was good advice last year and the year before that. However, you are going to miss the boat this year. I will be very happy to have Henry as my 2nd round pick. A clear cut starter that is not in a RBBC as my RB2.....Count me in!!!

Henry = Minimal to Moderate risk/High reward

Henry's been a non factor for the past couple of fantasy seasons. I don't buy the free agent contract season year he had.

That was good advice last year and the year before that. However, you are going to miss the boat this year. I will be very happy to have Henry as my 2nd round pick. A clear cut starter that is not in a RBBC as my RB2.....Count me in!!!

Maybe you havent been watchign Denver play the last five years or so. Shredhead, meet Mike Shanahan. Shanny, meet Shred. :cheers:

Maybe you havent been watchign Denver play the last five years or so. Shredhead, meet Mike Shanahan. Shanny, meet Shred. :cheers:

Actually, I've been watching Denver for the last thirty- five years or so. Although Shanahan has only been there for the last 12 of those, I have seen enough to know that when he has a clear cut #1 back he uses him and uses him a lot. Do you remember Terrell Davis? Who was he in a RBBC with brainiac?

I do know that Henry is not the caliber of TD, so don't even go there.

Henry's been a non factor for the past couple of fantasy seasons. I don't buy the free agent contract season year he had.

Man you are completely wrong. He only started with the Titans 13 games and ran for 1200 yds and 7 TDs. He was a huge part of the Titan's finishing 8-8. Only because of Fisher is the reason he didn't start the whole year. Brown got a couple starts while one game, Henry was a healthy scratch. The two years before that, the idiot was suspended a bunch of that, and that has nothing to do with his ability. I would easily take him as a solid #2.

Never act disapointed. If another owner drafts a player that you really wanted, tell him that player is a LOCK to win the bust of the year award and then laugh. Undermining his confidence could srew him up on later picks.

:doublethumbsup:

Pay more than $20 for Randy Moss in our auction draft.

a rule of mine is to not listen to all the crap about shanahan and the supposed rb merry-go-round, hoping that others do, and take henry as my #1 at the bottom of the 1st. B)

No matter how hot it might be, and regardless that it is my birthday, I will not indulge in 11 G&T's before drafting.

That was several years ago, but I need to keep reminding myself of this every season. It's a bad time of the year for a draft, as everyone shows up and hands me a bottle of this or a bottle of that. Temptation is overwhealming.

No shots until round 11. That's the answer right there. :unsure:

Change how I draft, my squad is always hard. First thing I get evry year, two hard runnin backs the first two rounds or three in the first three rounds. :blink: WR's are inconsistent and QB's are a dime a dozen. QB's have underrated folks like Bulger who can be snatched in the fifth or sixth. I would only break this rule (drafting 2-3 RB's first) for Peyton Manning.

Wait to long to get a solid QB. I got screwed last year with Plummer, Pennigton and Vick! By far, the most inconsistent part of my team!

My sights are set on Brees this year!

You can raz Da Bomb if you want, but the irony is here . . . you will not get Travis Henry in the 2nd. Period. You either accept him as a first-round talent, or you are concerned that he will be committee. If you're on the fence, thinking he holds the starting job but not huge, you're disappointed. Sorry, just the way it is.

In regards to your other comment, though . . . you freely admit that Henry is not in Terrell Davis' talent class, yet you use him as your example for why Da Bomb's argument is off base. Um. Did I miss something?

I'm not on the Henry bandwagon . . . can't be. Yeah, I know what he did for Tennessee the second half of last year. I get it. I also know that it was a contract year. I'm not buying the ton of talent that folks want to attribute to him. Not doing it. He is setting up to be a huge disappointment.

Of course, I could be wrong . . . it's happened once or twice in the past.

In regards to your other comment, though . . . you freely admit that Henry is not in Terrell Davis' talent class, yet you use him as your example for why Da Bomb's argument is off base. Um. Did I miss something?

OK I will use Olandis Gary as my example then. He was the sole RB for Denver one year and Henry is much better than Olandis Gary.

OK I will use Olandis Gary as my example then. He was the sole RB for Denver one year and Henry is much better than Olandis Gary.

He was all they had. But I'll give you that Henry is likely better than Olandis Gary.

Although I'd say that comparison is much closer.

Follow my same rule I have for the last couple of years. I will not draft Michael Vick no matter where he is. I have this crazy belief that his stupidity would make the rest of my team worse.

Wait to long to get a solid QB. I got screwed last year with Plummer, Pennigton and Vick! By far, the most inconsistent part of my team!

My sights are set on Brees this year!

I agree, if you undervalue the QB position you end up with a couple good QBs that you guess wrong every week.....QBBC is a crap shoot, don't fall for it.

I always keep a nice long, yearly updated list just like this, of things I will not do at the draft again.

I will not....

.... Get drunk before or during the draft, last round = first drink and beginning of sh!t talking.

.... Draft anyone from the Miami Offense

.... Draft any Cleveland Brown

.... Draft any QB other than Peyton Manning in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

.... Go to an all nighter before the draft, and sleep on the couch of the Commish up till draft time.

.... Draft any Oakland Raider

.... Draft any Minnesota Viking

.... Draft any Houston Texan

.... Listen to anyone's advice, and not pay attention to rankings from anyone in Florida, and specifically, only if the rankings, article or advice was not transferred, written, or proclaimed in the state of Florida.

.... Get attached to any single player, regardless of hopes, projections, opinions.

.... Let myself get talked into a "hunch" "new strategy" "new draft technique" regardless of the stats or styles of it.

.... Draft a QB*, WR, PK, or DEF in the first round. * Peyton Manning clause, if nobody we like is available, and Peyton is, he may be chosen.

.... Draft less than 2 Running Backs in my first 3 rounds.

Just to name a few :dunno:

Man, there are way too many "Not get drunk" responses to this thread. WTF? Wasn't one of the MAIN reasons we all started playing fantasy football in the first place was so we had an excuse to get completely annhilated before the regular season? If you're prepared for the draft and can handle your liquor, when you sit down for that first pick, you need to raise your glass high and belt out with confidence, "I'll take Al Del Greco with my first pick!" followed by a humbly muttered "Championship." under your breath.

:dunno:

I always keep a nice long, yearly updated list just like this, of things I will not do at the draft again.

I will not....

.... Get drunk before or during the draft, last round = first drink and beginning of sh!t talking.

.... Draft anyone from the Miami Offense

.... Draft any Cleveland Brown

.... Draft any QB other than Peyton Manning in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

.... Go to an all nighter before the draft, and sleep on the couch of the Commish up till draft time.

.... Draft any Oakland Raider

.... Draft any Minnesota Viking

.... Draft any Houston Texan

.... Listen to anyone's advice, and not pay attention to rankings from anyone in Florida, and specifically, only if the rankings, article or advice was not transferred, written, or proclaimed in the state of Florida.

.... Get attached to any single player, regardless of hopes, projections, opinions.

.... Let myself get talked into a "hunch" "new strategy" "new draft technique" regardless of the stats or styles of it.

.... Draft a QB*, WR, PK, or DEF in the first round. * Peyton Manning clause, if nobody we like is available, and Peyton is, he may be chosen.

.... Draft less than 2 Running Backs in my first 3 rounds.

Just to name a few :P

I'd like to draft against you. :thumbsup:

You can raz Da Bomb if you want, but the irony is here . . . you will not get Travis Henry in the 2nd. Period. You either accept him as a first-round talent, or you are concerned that he will be committee. If you're on the fence, thinking he holds the starting job but not huge, you're disappointed. Sorry, just the way it is.

Bullseye, Dan. His ADP on Antsports and on mockdraftcentral is in the 12-13 range, which is generally 1.12 or 2.01. If he's lucky the turn guy could pick him up as a RB2, but no one else has a reasonable shot of doing so.

As for his talent, I'm on the fence about that, but I do know one thing: in Denver, you can put just about anyone in at RB, and they produce. This is easy to see when Denver rotates starting RB so frequently yet always has someone that produces there, and is also reflected in the performances of the various Denver RBs who end up on different squads after only a few years in Denver. In general those RBs see drops in production, where they had invariably been producing pretty well in Denver, and you have to attribute that to the Denver system that produces such consistently good offensive lines. It's worth noting that Denver's overall RB output was 6th in '04 and and 2nd in '05. It dropped a lot in '06, but it seems safe to attribute that to the very wobbly health of its RBs in '06. So, what ever the situation in Denver this year, you can pretty much bank on Henry being solid in whatever games he plays. Granted there are questions as to how many that will be, and the share of the workload he will get, but I think there are enough people high on him that you can't realistically expect him to last into Rd 2 - someone will take the chance on his upside. That said, I will be more than happy to let someone else have him this year, as I feel the questions outweigh the possible benefits - someone else may gladly take that risk.

Haha, you guys say that every year. Then in August you'll be talking about how Cedric Cobbs *really* will be the man this year.

(Not that I ever do this, or anything...) :mad:

My "who dat"? pick this year will probably be late round bandon marshall of denver. Too many people in our leagues know curry after I used him to squeeze into the finals last year.

Actually, I've been watching Denver for the last thirty- five years or so. Although Shanahan has only been there for the last 12 of those, I have seen enough to know that when he has a clear cut #1 back he uses him and uses him a lot. Do you remember Terrell Davis? Who was he in a RBBC with brainiac?

I do know that Henry is not the caliber of TD, so don't even go there.

1. :sleep: Like Dan, I'm confused on what side of the issue you're on here as you seem to be making Bomb's pt...Henry is NOT the caliber of TD. So why will he be the clear cut RB?

2. I don't even know if Henry is much better than Bell.

Just don't understand the man-love for Henry...he's been good at times yes. He's been awful at times too.

3. I don't know about 35 years ago, or 12 years ago, but the LAST 5 YEARS have proven anything...there is not ever a 'clear cut' #1 RB in Denver.

3. I don't know about 35 years ago, or 12 years ago, but the LAST 5 YEARS have proven anything...there is not ever a 'clear cut' #1 RB in Denver.

Exactly. Also, the last 5 years have proven that Shanahan does not tolerate fumbles, either. In Henry's first three years he fumbled 5, 11, and 7 times. Admittedly, his last three years he fumbled 0, 2, and 3 times (though in two of those three years he only played 10 games).

So which Henry shows up in Denver - the guy that, given his spotty history, is scared to death of fumbling and losing his job, or the Henry that has seemingly improved his fumble-itis? I'm not sure I'm willing to risk a Top 10 pick to find out.