Sign in to follow this  
naomi

Mountain lion attack in WA

Also why did they track down and kill the cougar? Animal didnt do anything wrong.

To remove them from the gene pool.

Do you swim with a gun too? Shoot mosquitoes?

Disagree

No, but I would have brought a small Glock 42 or 43 if I was hiking in the Northeast US where there are known mountain lions. Also from the article:

“The deputies shot at him and spooked him, and he ran off,” said Abbott.

Didn't even have to hit the cat, just the shot alone was enough to get it to go away.

----

You guys are so anti-gun that you think it is foolish to bring even a small handgun when you are hiking or camping in the wilderness? It literally is no bigger than my hand and you wouldn't even known it was there unless you needed it. Like if a focking mountain lion or something attacked you. Really dumb.

No, but I would have brought a small Glock 42 or 43 if I was hiking in the Northeast US where there are known mountain lions. It is slightly bigger than my hand. Also from the article:

Didn't even have to hit the cat, just the shot alone was enough to get it to go away.

Probably not if you are from that area. I fished/hunted in mountain lion/black bear country 100+ days a year, probably 60 of those without a gun, ie only fishing. You generally do not worry about either black bears or mountain lions.

I also did not carry a gun when i fished in "light" grizzly country, although I usually had bear spray.

I always packed a gun and bear spray, along with a fishing buddy that had a gun and bear spray when i fished in "heavy" grizzly country, like for example just east of yellowstone national park. Although, being loud and aware is more of the key in that area.

There are many outdoorsman that have a similar philosophy. You do not give mountain lions or black bears a second thought. They "could" attack a person, but it is so unlikely as to be not even worth consideration.

• Like 1

You do not give mountain lions or black people a second thought. They "could" attack a person, but it is so unlikely as to be not even worth consideration.

So true....FIFY

Probably not if you are from that area. I fished/hunted in mountain lion/black bear country 100+ days a year, probably 60 of those without a gun, ie only fishing. You generally do not worry about either black bears or mountain lions.

I also did not carry a gun when i fished in "light" grizzly country, although I usually had bear spray.

I always packed a gun and bear spray, along with a fishing buddy that had a gun and bear spray when i fished in "heavy" grizzly country, like for example just east of yellowstone national park. Although, being loud and aware is more of the key in that area.

There are many outdoorsman that have a similar philosophy. You do not give mountain lions or black bears a second thought. They "could" attack a person, but it is so unlikely as to be not even worth consideration.

But if you already have a backpack and it takes up almost no room, you don't have to sacrifice any other items to carry it, why not just bring a small handgun?

The problem I have SkiBum and it isn't with you, it's with these anti-gun idiots, who are so anti-gun they don't even see the use for it in situations like this when it is you 100% against the elements.

I'm not saying ride the focking mountain bike all day with the firearm in your hand riding around screaming obscenities waiting for the next bear to jump out. I am saying keep the gun in a small pocket of the backpack that you are already carrying in case you and your friend get jumped by a focking mountain lion.

Again, right from the article:

• Like 1

So true....FIFY

Yeah you know us gun nuts. Bringing a small handgun into the woods when we go hiking or camping. Focking lunatics I say.

No, but I would have brought a small Glock 42 or 43 if I was hiking in the Northeast US where there are known mountain lions. Also from the article:

----

You guys are so anti-gun that you think it is foolish to bring even a small handgun when you are hiking or camping in the wilderness? It literally is no bigger than my hand and you wouldn't even known it was there unless you needed it. Like if a focking mountain lion or something attacked you. Really dumb.

No, I understand probability.

No, I understand probability.

Great. Then you should have no problem understanding Murphys Law. Zing.

This guy gets it. It must suck to go through life so terrified of incredibly unlikely events. Especially when you choose to do things on a daily basis with far more risk, like driving to work.

Except it isn't really a law. Its superstition. No thanks. Blam.

Did you forget Murphys Law is considered scientific fact? The possibility of anything is 1. Scientifically that is.

This guy gets it. It must suck to go through life so terrified of incredibly unlikely events. Especially when you choose to do things on a daily basis with far more risk, like driving to work.

School shootings are an incredibly unlikely event yet you seem pretty worked up about having regulations to stop them.

I'm not saying ride the focking mountain bike all day with the firearm in your hand riding around screaming obscenities waiting for the next bear to jump out. I am saying keep the gun in a small pocket of the backpack that you are already carrying in case you and your friend get jumped by a focking mountain lion.

Again, right from the article:

Sounded like a decent plan to me :ninja:

I'm with you on this one. I'd bring a small gun if I had one.

As for the statistics, mountain lion attacks are rare in CA but definitely not as rare as in the Pacific Northwest where this one happened. A jogger was killed on one of the better semi-local ones I've been on before, ~ 50 miles from Sac. Sac wise they're around one of the rivers that has wide wilderness area surrounding it.

Not that it's particularly novel, but this is the sign at the "end" (technically the intended beginning) of the trail I mentioned in the OP. There was a fair number of solo hikers that day, at least four different young women.

School shootings are an incredibly unlikely event yet you seem pretty worked up about having regulations to stop them.

No, you guys have it all wrong. I don't think school shootings are a big deal. I think our unusually large number of gun-related deaths are.

Sounded like a decent plan to me :ninja:

I'm with you on this one. I'd bring a small gun if I had one.

As for the statistics, mountain lion attacks are rare in CA but definitely not as rare as in the Pacific Northwest where this one happened. A jogger was killed on one of the better semi-local ones I've been on before, ~ 50 miles from Sac. Sac wise they're around one of the rivers that has wide wilderness area surrounding it.

Not that it's particularly novel, but this is the sign at the "end" (technically the intended beginning) of the trail I mentioned in the OP. There was a fair number of solo hikers that day, at least four different young women.

The assumption is the gun will be more beneficial than harmful. While in the woods, it's probably a wash at best - accidents happen, and mountain biking is an activity prone to crashing. But continued possession of the firearm in your home increases your likelihood of it being misused. Since this likelihood exceeds that of being attacked by a mountain lion, it ain't worth it, even if you can imagine a scenario where it might come in handy.

No, you guys have it all wrong. I don't think school shootings are a big deal. I think our unusually large number of gun-related deaths are.

For who? And by who?

The assumption is the gun will be more beneficial than harmful. While in the woods, it's probably a wash at best - accidents happen, and mountain biking is an activity prone to crashing. But continued possession of the firearm in your home increases your likelihood of it being misused. Since this likelihood exceeds that of being attacked by a mountain lion, it ain't worth it, even if you can imagine a scenario where it might come in handy.

Not to mention, if a mountain lion or bear decides to attack they are not going to give you to the count of 30 to retrieve your weapon, make sure it is loaded, turn the safety off, aim for center mass, and fire.

If the cat or bear is attacking your friend you may have time to do all this, but then run the risk of killing your friend, pissing off the animal, and becoming desert.

Not to mention, if a mountain lion or bear decides to attack they are not going to give you to the count of 30 to retrieve your weapon, make sure it is loaded, turn the safety off, aim for center mass, and fire.

If the cat or bear is attacking your friend you may have time to do all this, but then run the risk of killing your friend, pissing off the animal, and becoming desert.

Mountain lion wise it's not uncommon for people to notice they're being stalked. Then sometimes it's more like 'watched from afar.' My brother spotted one (same trail the jogger was killed on I mentioned up a few posts) chilling on a ledge.

Personally, I think it starts with Banning the loopholes that allow mountain lions and bears and what not to purchase guns without a proper background check.

SEATTLE (AP) — The two mountain bikers did what they were supposed to do when they noticed a mountain lion tailing them on a trail east of Seattle.

They got off their bikes. They faced the beast, shouted and tried to spook it.

This is how the anti gun crowd teaches you to defend yourself in the wild. What a bunch of morons!

SEATTLE (AP) — The two mountain bikers did what they were supposed to do when they noticed a mountain lion tailing them on a trail east of Seattle.

This is how the anti gun crowd teaches you to defend yourself in the wild. What a bunch of morons!

I am not of the anti-gun crowd but trying to shout and spook that thing away makes sense to me. More sense than say pointing a gun at it. I will say that I would have most likely been pointing my gun at it while shouting to spook it away.

Fatal mountain lion attacks in North America in the last 100 years = 19

Number of accidental gun deaths in US 2014-15 ( a record low!) = 489

Mountain lion wise it's not uncommon for people to notice they're being stalked. Then sometimes it's more like 'watched from afar.' My brother spotted one (same trail the jogger was killed on I mentioned up a few posts) chilling on a ledge.

Quite the opposite. It's exceedingly rare to spot a mountain lion. But if you spend enough time in the wilderness, they've likely seen you.

Did you forget Murphys Law is considered scientific fact? The possibility of anything is 1. Scientifically that is.

No idea what you're babbling about, but Murphy's law isn't scientifically validated. And it isn't the second law of thermodynamics.

No idea what you're babbling about, but Murphy's law isn't scientifically validated. And it isn't the second law of thermodynamics.

Thus statistically, the probability that things can go right is 1/(Infinity) which is approximately zero.

And the probability that things can go wrong is (Infinity - 1)/Infinity (Mathematicians please forgive me for this notation. This is just to explain the stuff to my fellow laymen) which is approximately 1.

Thus the probability for things going wrong is 1. Which when translated to English, becomes, Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Hence the proof.

We've arrived at all this, because of our expectations. Expectations are the major reason why people feel this effect. Right or Wrong is an illusion! Everything is just a possibility. What is right for you, may not be right for your GF's ex-BF.

Quite the opposite. It's exceedingly rare to spot a mountain lion. But if you spend enough time in the wilderness, they've likely seen you.

I'm talking about when encounters do happen, as per the context of the post I was responding to.

Fatal mountain lion attacks in North America in the last 100 years = 19

Number of accidental gun deaths in US 2014-15 ( a record low!) = 489

Every day, 28 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This is one death every 51 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion

Where is the outrage?

Im not a fan of handguns in general. But, I do see some logic in arming yourself when you venture out into certain areas where youre not atop the food chain.

Yes, chances are slim that youd be attacked by a bear, wolf, cougar, coyote or alligator. But it can happen.

I suppose theres also mace, but Im not sure how effective it would be.

Clever, but that ain't the same as scientific proof. I also disagree that there is only one way things can go right.

You don't understand math.

Every day, 28 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This is one death every 51 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion

Where is the outrage?

Preach brother. We need to get a handle on our alcohol problem too. In any case, shots are not the answer.

Im not a fan of handguns in general. But, I do see some logic in arming yourself when you venture out into certain areas where youre not atop the food chain.

Yes, chances are slim that youd be attacked by a bear, wolf, cougar, coyote or alligator. But it can happen.

I suppose theres also mace, but Im not sure how effective it would be.

Making noise/acting threatening deters most animals, but bear spray etc. work too.

I'm talking about when encounters do happen, as per the context of the post I was responding to.

In any circumstance outside the zoo, it's extremely unlikely you'll see a mountain lion.

Making noise/acting threatening deters most animals, but bear spray etc. work too.

Ive heard that, but thankfully, never had to try it.

I dont own a handgun, but when Ive gone hiking/camping in unfamiliar territory, I pack a decent knife, a lighter and sometimes a baseball bat.

Now that we have a dog, she should be able to warn us if predators were nearby. Shes a wuss though, so I doubt shed offer much in the way of protection.

My main concern when my kids were younger was coyotes.

I feel like the farther off grid you go, the more sense it makes to have a gun. Protection, hunting small animals if youre lost or stranded, etc.