Sign in to follow this  
kujerry

Thoughts on Melvin Gordon?

Whats everyone's thought on Melvin Gordon. Would u draft him? If so how high would u take a shot on him?

I'm drafting in the 9th hole in a 14 team PPR keeper. Can only keep one. Standard scoring starting two RBs and three WRs.

I'm keeping Forte in the first and looking to draft Gordon in the 2nd. Is that too early for a rookie rb. Only other threat in SD is woodhead in the passing game.

Looking at everyones keepers and running back that will be drafted before it gets back to me the rbs left are.

J. Forsett, A.Ellington, L. Murry, G. Bernard, F. Gore, J. Randal, TJ Yelson list goes on.

Do u guys like Gordon more than the above guys? I also like forsett with forte o coordinator in balt, but forsett hitting that 30 year old mark and or is he just a one yr wonder.

Hes below some of those guys and a better choice than others. 2nd round for Gordon seems too high, but the keeper part skews things. In my keeper league where everyone keeps 2 players i will not be drafting Gordon in the second. I am not real big on him as it is so someone is going to pay way more than i would.

Keeper if you have your eye on keeping him next year. I don't love him this year and especially in PPR. He is going to lose snaps to Woodhead on 3rd down and 2 minute situations. I don't think that he catches a lot of balls.

I wouldn't underrate Forsett, especially with Trestman on board. If you have Forte, you know how incredible Trestman can be for a good receiving back, which Forsett certainly is.

I'm in a similar situation in one keeper league, where I'll be picking from about that same list (minus Forsett). I'm really not sure about Gordon--he's a guy I'll be watching in the preseason to see how he looks against NFL fronts. Being a Wisconsin back used to running through massive holes, I could see a lot of 18 carries/60 yards games if he doesn't adjust quickly. The Chargers weren't exactly a great run-blocking line last season.

On paper, Gordon seems great--he's probably a 240-carry back. But I might take Ellington instead in a PPR, or consider Randle behind the league-best Dallas offensive line.

Being a Wisconsin back used to running through massive holes, I could see a lot of 18 carries/60 yards games if he doesn't adjust quickly.

Perhaps. Ohio State did hold him under 100 yards....but that was in a 59 point blowout.

However, he did go 34/251/3 against Auburn on New Years Day (7.4 yards/carry)....not to even mention that record 25/408/4 game (16.3 yards/carry :shocking: ) against the Huskers in Nebraska. Those teams aren't pushovers.

Those kind of numbers are staggering, and shouldn't be ignored. I'm looking hard at him.

• Like 1

Love him and im looking for an Alfred Morris type season from him. He has ROY potential along with many others.

Ever since I wasted a 1st round pick on Ryan Mathews his first year, I've shied away from selecting rookies (regardless of position) high in drafts.

Too many unknowns.

in a dynasty would you take him over Gurley?

I would. People don't understand Gurley has never completed a full season due to injury and was always in a timeshare. I don't know if he will survive a full NFL season ever. But when the man is on the field he trucks people on the regular. Just don't see him giving you more than 10-13 games a season. Especially behind arguably the worst O Line in the league

I would. People don't understand Gurley has never completed a full season due to injury and was always in a timeshare. I don't know if he will survive a full NFL season ever. But when the man is on the field he trucks people on the regular. Just don't see him giving you more than 10-13 games a season. Especially behind arguably the worst O Line in the league

This is how I feel. We truly can't even know what percentage of post-injury athleticism Gurley will have let alone whether he might actually be more prone to injury (definitely appears possible).

I was not in position to take Gurley anyway, but if I had been, I would have taken Gordon before him on most dynasty rosters.

I do believe Gurley's ceiling is higher, but I see him as more of a luxury pick. If you have a true need for a RB medium to longer term on a roster I think the better risk-reward choice was (most rookie drafts are over) Gordon.

Whats everyone's thought on Melvin Gordon. Would u draft him? If so how high would u take a shot on him?

I'm drafting in the 9th hole in a 14 team PPR keeper. Can only keep one. Standard scoring starting two RBs and three WRs.

I'm keeping Forte in the first and looking to draft Gordon in the 2nd. Is that too early for a rookie rb. Only other threat in SD is woodhead in the passing game.

Looking at everyones keepers and running back that will be drafted before it gets back to me the rbs left are.

J. Forsett, A.Ellington, L. Murry, G. Bernard, F. Gore, J. Randal, TJ Yelson list goes on.

Do u guys like Gordon more than the above guys? I also like forsett with forte o coordinator in balt, but forsett hitting that 30 year old mark and or is he just a one yr wonder.

Second round is to high for me I like him more in the forth or even fifth rounds but that also depends on how the draft is going .

I agree 2nd is kinda high, but is it to high in a 14 team leagueto with most keepers being kept are rbs. We just switch to 14 teams.

I'd take him at the end of the 2nd. He's a special back drafted by a team that moves the ball. Should be plenty of opportunity.

I'd take him at the end of the 2nd. He's a special back drafted by a team that moves the ball. Should be plenty of opportunity.

I think special is a little too optimistic. Hes a decent back at least. He will probably need great vision and decisiveness to become special. Its hard to tell if a rb has that when transitioning to the nfl.

The Chargers evaluated him as special with the first round grade. I agree with them.

The Chargers evaluated him as special with the first round grade. I agree with them.

Fair enough.....but didn't they do the same with Ryan Matthews?

As I noted above, I believe that he has the potential to have a huge year. He can be a "special" fantasy RB. No RB since Barry Sanders has had more collegiate yards from scrimmage than MG did last season.

However, late word out of camp is that he is struggling with pass protection, which is a red flag. Also, that SD o-line was miserable at run-blocking last season. They will have to make some huge improvements to allow MG to thrive.

As I noted above, I believe that he has the potential to have a huge year. He can be a "special" fantasy RB. No RB since Barry Sanders has had more collegiate yards from scrimmage than MG did last season.

However, late word out of camp is that he is struggling with pass protection, which is a red flag. Also, that SD o-line was miserable at run-blocking last season. They will have to make some huge improvements to allow MG to thrive.

Mathews actually is talented but just had some bad luck. He even had some decent fantasy years and was top 6 that one year right? Didn't he get 1k his rookie year? Anyway, I'm hoping to get value from Gordon and I'm taking over bums like Ellington and Ingram for sure.

I am very high on him, but I am in an auction style league and won't be able to afford him. Great running talent, plays behind a good offensive line and there are downfield weapons for a great QB. I look for him to post top 10 RB numbers.

I'm taking over bums like Ellington and Ingram for sure.

No doubt. Gimme that upside anyday.

I don't recall if Matthews was a first round pick for them. It's hard to know for sure with any prospect. Just look at the colossal bust that is Trent Richardson. But MG passed my eye tests in college. In an era where RBs seldom go in the first round, I think those that are taken tend to get more benefit of any doubt. And it's not like MG got drafted by Cleveland. I'd take him late second in my 12 man and feel optimistic.

I don't recall if Matthews was a first round pick for them. It's hard to know for sure with any prospect. Just look at the colossal bust that is Trent Richardson. But MG passed my eye tests in college. In an era where RBs seldom go in the first round, I think those that are taken tend to get more benefit of any doubt. And it's not like MG got drafted by Cleveland. I'd take him late second in my 12 man and feel optimistic.

Matthews was something like 12th overall, I believe. Anyway, I will also be targeting MG....great situation.

I agree 2nd is kinda high, but is it to high in a 14 team leagueto with most keepers being kept are rbs. We just switch to 14 teams.

In a 14 teamer top RBs are going to be scarce. Depending on where you pick many of the backs listed in your original post might not make it back to you. You're keeping one older RB in Forte already, so I don't think you'd be reaching if you took Melvin in the 2nd. Pay close attention to the camp reports though; if Gordon is indeed having pass protection issues then Forsett or perhaps Latty Murray would be the better pick.

Second round is to high for me I like him more in the forth or even fifth rounds but that also depends on how the draft is going .

kid's adp is assuring that no way in hell he makes it outta the third round ... no effin' way he goes in fourth or fifth :nono:

a lot can happen between now and opening day, of course ... but short of losing a limb in preseason, the kid goes top 30 :dunno:

I think drafting Gordon as your rb2 is a big mistake unless the rest of your team is stacked and your rb1 is very good.

- especially in ppr ...

hell, if i'm gonna take a back that does zilch in the passing game, i can get a proven commodity like AlfMo later than Gordo :dunno:

Mathews actually is talented but just had some bad luck. He even had some decent fantasy years and was top 6 that one year right? Didn't he get 1k his rookie year? Anyway, I'm hoping to get value from Gordon and I'm taking over bums like Ellington and Ingram for sure.

It was his second year. He racked up over 1500 total yards in just 14 games. He was really good in 2013, too, with another 1400+ yard season. He's been great when healthy. He's just really only been healthy twice.

Gordon has a chance to be special in San Diego if he can adjust to the pro game. I just need to see a little of that against NFL defenses before I sink a really high pick into him.

I really want to take him but it's just to early for me. If I could get him later than his ADP he would be keeper eligible and a great option but I'll try for another option most likely.

8-1-15

Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee

San Diego Chargers RB Melvin Gordon has struggled with pass protection through the first three days of training camp. From Kevin Acee: "Melvin Gordon is gonna have tons of yards, be exciting ... But thru 3 days it's clear he's not playing 3 downs w/o much improvement blocking"

8-1-15

Source: The San Diego Union-Tribune - Kevin Acee

San Diego Chargers RB Melvin Gordon has struggled with pass protection through the first three days of training camp. From Kevin Acee: "Melvin Gordon is gonna have tons of yards, be exciting ... But thru 3 days it's clear he's not playing 3 downs w/o much improvement blocking"

- Woodhead top 12 ppr 😁

BANK -

- Woodhead top 12 ppr

BANK -

Well, if he can average 7 yards/carry like he did in college, then they won't need a 3rd down back. :huh:

Is Woodhead some blocking stud?

You don't have to be a stud. You just need to understand things. Woodhead is a smart kid who's been in the 3rd role as long as he's been in the league. I think it's just experience in this case not anything to do with elite skill.

I love some Melvin Gordon. The RB was the missing piece for SD last season. Woodhead add some nice options and will help Rivers, but Gordon is where the action is. I am taking him in the 3rd if he is there.