Sign in to follow this  
Another school shooting...

I don't really like posting threads, so I'm going to leave this here.

Do you think the parents should be tried for Involuntary Manslaughter? I absolutely do, and was very surprised to learn only about half of states have Child Access Prevention laws. Even fewer impose liability on the parent, unless there is gross negligence involved (mississippi being one of them). I store my firearms unloaded in a safe at all times, with ammunition stored separately.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/boy-shot-sister-over-video-game-trnd/index.html

A 9-year-old boy retrieved a gun from his parents' bedroom and shot his 13-year-old sister to death, authorities said, after the two got into an argument over a video game controller. The incident occurred over the weekend in rural Monroe County, Mississippi, as the children's mother was preparing lunch in the kitchen, the country sheriff said.

"He wanted the controller, and I guess he knew where to find the gun," Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told CNN. The boy grabbed a handgun, which was kept in a nightstand next to the bed, and shot the sister in the back of the head, the sheriff said. "This is the first time I've ever dealt with any child that was shot like that," Cantrell said. "And I hope I never deal with it again." The girl was taken to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, where she was pronounced dead Sunday. The case is still under investigation and authorities have not filed charges."We are talking to the district attorney," Cantrell said.

An armed teacher could have prevented it.

Seriously though, I grew up with guns in a locked cabinet, but found the key and handled them without supervision. My friend did the same at his house, almost shooting his sister. Kids are gonna be kids, and even relatively responsible gun owners can have an accident or mental lapse when their child might be shot.

An armed teacher could have prevented it.

Seriously though, I grew up with guns in a locked cabinet, but found the key and handled them without supervision. My friend did the same at his house, almost shooting his sister. Kids are gonna be kids, and even relatively responsible gun owners can have an accident or mental lapse when their child might be shot.

Responsible drivers can also have a lapse, and cause an accident... blah blah. That wasn't the point of my post though.

Responsible drivers can also have a lapse, and cause an accident... blah blah. That wasn't the point of my post though.

We’ve already been through the greater utility and regulation of cars relative to guns, but that wasn’t the point of your response.

To answer your question, no, they shouldn’t be charged with manslaughter.

Yes responsible people. Go to the south or redneck gun crazy states and you will probably find most houses with loaded shotguns leaning next to the door, guns laying around like they are toys and hordes of kids running around like its a daycare. Thankfully the problem is slowly taking care of itself.

Last summer I went home, and dad had a loaded rifle sitting next to the back door (he has kind of a perpetual state of war with squirrels for some Reason).

I pointed out that since his fourteen year old grandson and eleven year old niece are always around, that was probably a bad idea.

Youre probably right he says.

My brother pretty much always has one or more loaded pistols lying around. Usually just tosses the small one he carries daily on his dresser when he gets home from work.

Not to mention the room where he does his reloading. Probably several thousand rounds of various ammo and a couple dozen pounds of powder in there at any given time. That will be fun if the house ever catches fire, what, being right under his daughters bedroom and all.

People are idiots.

Last summer I went home, and dad had a loaded rifle sitting next to the back door (he has kind of a perpetual state of war with squirrels for some Reason).

I pointed out that since his fourteen year old grandson and eleven year old niece are always around, that was probably a bad idea.

Youre probably right he says.

My brother pretty much always has one or more loaded pistols lying around. Usually just tosses the small one he carries daily on his dresser when he gets home from work.

Not to mention the room where he does his reloading. Probably several thousand rounds of various ammo and a couple dozen pounds of powder in there at any given time. That will be fun if the house ever catches fire, what, being right under his daughters bedroom and all.

SOME People are idiots.