Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Katrina And Me....Ten Years Later

Gfiafp wasn't constantly interrupted to make the obvious point of who the trashy element was.

Don't worry about him. Let it go. He's got Sylvester the cat syndrome: he can't win for trying. Suffering suchatash at its finest.

Don't worry about him. Let it go. He's got Sylvester the cat syndrome: he can't win for trying. Suffering suchatash at its finest.

Not like you Bunny, you were voted GOTY. What an achievement. Now please, get on with your story, but let's pick up the pace.

Buddy of mine from from my main league just texted me. Were leaving CBS and their 179.00 dollar payment and are going to ESPN free league after twenty years. Should have done it years ago. Anyway.

We paid our dues to CBS a week before Katrina. We always had our draft the day after Labor Day. No problems as most of us went in vacation and it made sense. Don't draft till the last minute. Most of our drafts happend while we watched the first game. Katrina was to hit on the Sunday and there was no way to do that. One of the younger guys threw out the idea of drafting the day before, which would be tomorrow in Katrina times.

Didn't happen.

Two weeks later the commish was sitting in Bunkie,LA on a back porch, bored out of his mind, and drafted a team for everyone based on how he would draft. He did it for reasons that he claims today, were done to keep sanity and the league alive.

Great Fawking intentions. But.....who wants to run a team you didn't draft, and only half the league managers had time to run. It didn't work.

The following year we sent a request to CBSSportsline to give us a credit for 2006 and let us resume our league as most of the members of our league wanted to resume. They basically told us to fawk off and go elsewhere if we didn't like it.

We have stayed with them up until this year. The history of the league was the main reason why. The old guys in our league finally said "Fawk You".

I sent an email earlier today telling them why we left. Looking forward to their response and posting it on here and social media. Fawk them.

Giants Fan's 9/11 story is better so far.

yea but I believe bunny. Gfiap is like the little kid in 2nd grade telling outlandish lies.

The fact that bunny asked for a credit on their fantasy league because of the storm is a perfect example of people from NO attitude after the storm.

• Like 1

The fact that bunny asked for a credit on their fantasy league because of the storm is a perfect example of people from NO attitude after the storm.

How so? We paid for the league and weren't able to use it for obvious reasons. We didn't ask for our money back. Just a credit for the next year. We had used them for almost ten years.You don't believe in taking care of your customers and understanding circumstances beyond their control?

And what "attitude" would that be? I'm guessing you read a few articles and watched a few news stories before you lost interest in the story like most everyone else? I'm sure you talked and spent time with the local people of New Orleans to form your opinion?

How so? We paid for the league and weren't able to use it for obvious reasons. We didn't ask for our money back. Just a credit for the next year. We had used them for almost ten years.You don't believe in taking care of your customers and understanding circumstances beyond their control?

And what "attitude" would that be? I'm guessing you read a few articles and watched a few news stories before you lost interest in the story like most everyone else? I'm sure you talked and spent time with the local people of New Orleans to form your opinion?

I was actually Observing a Louisiana national guard unit before Katrina hit, they called the exercise off about four days before the storm hit, just to get there and be ready. Volunteered at the Astrodome trying to help families get reconnected, everyone had their hands out. Muggings became pretty common in Houston, it was awful.

Everywhere you went, even say target, there were people asking you to buy carts full of stuff, "I was in Katrina.." Destroyed hotel rooms.. Hurricane Rita was the best thing to happen to Houston.

Ever notice how no one from Houston has fond memories of that time?

So i'm playing golf with three of my golf buddies on this day last year. There are maybe four other groups on the course and nobody is rushing to get off. Everybody realized that this might be the last time we would be able to play it. I learned how to play on that course and it was my home course. And nobody was talking about that. It was a really nice day for August as there was a breeze and little humidity and not a cloud in the sky. You wouldn't think that in two days there would be one hundred and fifty mile an hour winds roaring through it and the entire course would be four feet under water. You also wouldn't think three quarters of the city would be here either. But that's what happens when you trust the Army Corpse Of Engineers.

So were about three holes in and all of our phones start ringing. It's wives and mothers calling to tell us that the latest update has it a category five taking dead aim at us and were all going to die in ten minutes. My dad called to say how stoopid I was. My mother in law called to tell me she loved me and to ask me a hundredth time to evacuate. I even got a call from an exgirlfriend that I thought hated me and was confirmed that she did in fact hate me. Fatty Fat Fat: You should not evacuate, get drunk, and play outside near a lot of trees!" Me: Thanks. I stocked up on beer. Did you stock up enough Jenny Craig? Fatty Fat Fat: click. I eventually had to turn off the phone.

My friend Buel that I was playing with was telling me about why he was staying. His parents have a nice house that had a lot of expensive antiques and other valuables he wanted to protect. He didn't want to, but the thought of looters going through his mothers home left him no choice. If he could have only seen the future, he wouldn't have. He has one of the best Katrina stories I ever heard. Short version is: He got stuck on his parents roof for three days. By that third day he'd only seen one boat and lot's of "fawking" snakes. Those snakes kept him from venturing out. He hates snakes. Anyway, he lived just outside of the Orleans Parish line in Jefferson Parish. He said he could see the Coast Guard helicopters going in and out of New Orleans picking people up from sun up to sun down and flying them into Jefferson Parish. Every time one would pass, he would hoot and hollar at them (his words), but they were just out of site. He said he finally gave up when "I realized I was fawked and they weren't coming for whitey as all the darkies come first in this blackass fawking city."

The water was starting to go down and he had to make a move as he was out of food. So he starts walking down Airline Hwy(Before I-10 was built, Airline was the main Hwy to Baton Rouge) and try and get to his brothers house in Baton Rouge sixty miles away. He had no idea the extent of the damage as his and everyone elses cell phones were not working. He walked a few miles and ran into a cop who told him what was going on. Cop told him to keep walking and eventually someone would probably let him ride with them to Baton Rouge. Which they did. A fifty year old ghey coonass from Vacherie,La. that lived with his mama. Ghey coonaass pulled over asked him where he was going and if he had any money for gas. Gas was like gold those first few days after. It would have been like Mad Max on steroids if the fuel trucks didn't start getting to the stations in the areas surronding New Orleans that weren't as damaged. People were riding with the fuel cans in their cars and SUV's so other people wouldn't see them and ask for some. So Ghey Coonass was going to his mamas house in Vacherie, which is halfway to Baton Rouge. Buel could call his brother from there to pick him up so he could end his nightmare. There's a whole story about the ride to Mamas house but I need to skip.

So they get to Mama's (Mama was an eighty year old three hundred pound toothless redneck in a sunflower shrimp pattern moomoo) house that has air condition, food, shower, and a bed. Three things he hasn't had in days. Mama: He cait sleep here. He one of ya phag AIDS ridden fawk buddies? He caint come in da house neether. Buel: Mam, I just need to call my brother and I'll be on my way. Aright homo. One call. (He made his call and his brother was on the way) After, Mama gave him a box of rice crispy treats, a bottle of water, and made him sleep in the truck. That night, he took a hose shower in the back yard, ate his last crispy treat, and slept like a baby. Till Mama got drunk and came outside and accused him of stealing her Rice Crispy treats.

More to come

• Like 1

I was actually Observing a Louisiana national guard unit before Katrina hit, they called the exercise off about four days before the storm hit, just to get there and be ready. Volunteered at the Astrodome trying to help families get reconnected, everyone had their hands out. Muggings became pretty common in Houston, it was awful.

Everywhere you went, even say target, there were people asking you to buy carts full of stuff, "I was in Katrina.." Destroyed hotel rooms.. Hurricane Rita was the best thing to happen to Houston.

Ever notice how no one from Houston has fond memories of that time?

I heard about what happend at the Astrodome and the other places that took them in. I heard about them getting off the bus at the Astrodome and being handed a sanwhich from Subway and them saying they want Burger King. I heard about the men shaving in the bathrooms and leaving their stubble and razors in the sink and all the other things they did there. And I was embarassed and ashamed of them for doing it. But I wasn't shocked. Y'all were as gracious a host in a time of crisis that anyone could ask for and I apologize for my fellow New Orleanian's. I know that doesn't mean much now, but I was embarrassed. I was used to seeing it so it wasn't a shock.

As far as begging, for a time there they had nothing. Most of the ones that were shipped from buses were on goverment assistance were waiting for their first of the month check.They were told/forced to leave. They didn't get it as that was coming in two days. There were an estimated thirty to sixty thousand refugees stranded with nothing at the Super Dome and Convention center. Most of them left with the clothes on their back. And the FEMA cards didn't start being given out for another week. Red Cross and the donations from you and the people of Houston should have been enough. I'm not defending them. Just letting you know some of the reason they acted the way they did.

So i'm playing golf with three of my golf buddies on this day last year. There are maybe four other groups on the course and nobody is rushing to get off. Everybody realized that this might be the last time we would be able to play it. I learned how to play on that course and it was my home course. And nobody was talking about that. It was a really nice day for August as there was a breeze and little humidity and not a cloud in the sky. You wouldn't think that in two days there would be one hundred and fifty mile an hour winds roaring through it and the entire course would be four feet under water. You also wouldn't think three quarters of the city would be here either. But that's what happens when you trust the Army Corpse Of Engineers.

So were about three holes in and all of our phones start ringing. It's wives and mothers calling to tell us that the latest update has it a category five taking dead aim at us and were all going to die in ten minutes. My dad called to say how stoopid I was. My mother in law called to tell me she loved me and to ask me a hundredth time to evacuate. I even got a call from an exgirlfriend that I thought hated me and was confirmed that she did in fact hate me. Fatty Fat Fat: You should not evacuate, get drunk, and play outside near a lot of trees!" Me: Thanks. I stocked up on beer. Did you stock up enough Jenny Craig? Fatty Fat Fat: click. I eventually had to turn off the phone.

My friend Buel that I was playing with was telling me about why he was staying. His parents have a nice house that had a lot of expensive antiques and other valuables he wanted to protect. He didn't want to, but the thought of looters going through his mothers home left him no choice. If he could have only seen the future, he wouldn't have. He has one of the best Katrina stories I ever heard. Short version is: He got stuck on his parents roof for three days. By that third day he'd only seen one boat and lot's of "fawking" snakes. Those snakes kept him from venturing out. He hates snakes. Anyway, he lived just outside of the Orleans Parish line in Jefferson Parish. He said he could see the Coast Guard helicopters going in and out of New Orleans picking people up from sun up to sun down and flying them into Jefferson Parish. Every time one would pass, he would hoot and hollar at them (his words), but they were just out of site. He said he finally gave up when "I realized I was fawked and they weren't coming for whitey as all the darkies come first in this blackass fawking city."

The water was starting to go down and he had to make a move as he was out of food. So he starts walking down Airline Hwy(Before I-10 was built, Airline was the main Hwy to Baton Rouge) and try and get to his brothers house in Baton Rouge sixty miles away. He had no idea the extent of the damage as his and everyone elses cell phones were not working. He walked a few miles and ran into a cop who told him what was going on. Cop told him to keep walking and eventually someone would probably let him ride with them to Baton Rouge. Which they did. A fifty year old ghey coonass from Vacherie,La. that lived with his mama. Ghey coonaass pulled over asked him where he was going and if he had any money for gas. Gas was like gold those first few days after. It would have been like Mad Max on steroids if the fuel trucks didn't start getting to the stations in the areas surronding New Orleans that weren't as damaged. People were riding with the fuel cans in their cars and SUV's so other people wouldn't see them and ask for some. So Ghey Coonass was going to his mamas house in Vacherie, which is halfway to Baton Rouge. Buel could call his brother from there to pick him up so he could end his nightmare. There's a whole story about the ride to Mamas house but I need to skip.

So they get to Mama's (Mama was an eighty year old three hundred pound toothless redneck in a sunflower shrimp pattern moomoo) house that has air condition, food, shower, and a bed. Three things he hasn't had in days. Mama: He cait sleep here. He one of ya phag AIDS ridden fawk buddies? He caint come in da house neether. Buel: Mam, I just need to call my brother and I'll be on my way. Aright homo. One call. (He made his call and his brother was on the way) After, Mama gave him a box of rice crispy treats, a bottle of water, and made him sleep in the truck. That night, he took a hose shower in the back yard, ate his last crispy treat, and slept like a baby. Till Mama got drunk and came outside and accused him of stealing her Rice Crispy treats.

More to come

What did you shoot? :dunno:

How did he get from being on the roof to walking down the highway?

The area where he was was just three miles west of New Orleans in an old rich neighborhood called Old Metairie in Jefferson Parish, a few blocks from Airline Hwy. When the water rose that first day, it rushed in from New Orleans (Tulane Ave turns into Airline Hwy) to Jefferson. Jefferson Parish sent their pump operators to higher ground the first day of the storm and didn't have them on so the water came in and sat quickly in that area. After the storm had passed, the Jefferson Parish pump operators were sent back in to drain the water. It took two days for the water level to go down enough so he could get to Airline Hwy past Causeway.

Orleans Parish and Jefferson Parish border each other. The Orleans Parish side of the canal levees broke. Had the Jefferson Parish side of the canal levee's broke, New Orleans wouldn't have flooded as bad.

What did you shoot? :dunno:

I still have the scorecard somewhere. I shot a 90. I remember that because I had been shooting mid 80's all summer and wanted to not shoot a 90. I also only lost one ball that day which is a miracle.

There's a cool documentary on PBS right now showing how Mississippi dealt with Katrina. They are last in the nation in everything important. And yet they dealt with the storm ten million times better than New Orleans did. Check it out if you're interested.

So after I stepped off of the course and turn on the phone, I have twenty plus messages. Half are from wifey. They all sounded just like this: Hey Bunny, I'm still at work while you're having fun hitting a ball around getting drunk. (She's a make up artist and was doing a bride and her parties make up for the wedding the bride had planned a year in advance that was supposed to happen that night) they just told us that it's time to go and evacuate. and the Mayor ordered the evacuation finally. Where are you ? And what's the plan arsehole!?

That was 4ish. By the time I got home, it was on. Katrina was a CAT 4 and New Orleans was without a doubt getting hit dead in. Imagine going home and turning on the TV and seeing the entire Gulf of Mexico consumed by this fawker and thinking to yourself.....Wow!!! What a bummer!.

Id already battened down the hatches. Fueled up. Boozed up. Done everything you could do physically to get my family evacuated was done.I was ready. They were ready to go. No stone was not ready or in place. The evacuee plans were in place. My uncle in Houston was ready for us. Money in place including credit cards and any important documents. You name it, it was taken care of. Except me. There was no way I would miss the greatest show on earth. I wasn't missing it. No way. I stood here screaming at the devil daring her to finally make her way. It was like Lt Dan in Forrest Gump when he dared the storm to take him. I was dumbass Bunny doing the same. Me:Fawk you you Fawking b!tch!!!! Come on!!!!! I dare you!!!

Oooops!!

For everything but the guilt trip, I may have been right. Katrina cleansed. It was the start of something good. You can't argue progress.

• Like 1

ok, I'm intrigued by this story

I was a man on an island at this point of life. Evacuate or stay. Enjoy life's bounty or stay.

I'm not a hero. Or a one in the grand scheme of anything. I'm just a guy who happend to be in the middle of a bunch of BS that wants to realay a story and share it here.

I never claimed to be nothing. I was here. Big deal is right. I just want to share my experience. Nothing more and nothing less.

It was a big deal here. It shaped my life. And if that makes me a clown, so be it. Just trying to have some fun and write my thoughts out.

Bunny can we get 5 or 10 off topic anecdotes about random poker hands you played in sprinkled with strange music videos please? That's gonna happen when GFIAFC gets done with his bender and gets wind of this thread anyway.

Bunny can we get 5 or 10 off topic anecdotes about random poker hands you played in sprinkled with strange music videos please? That's gonna happen when GFIAFC gets done with his bender and gets wind of this thread anyway.

My bad. Just trying to have some fun. His deal is 9/11 and mine is Katrina. Funny. I thought I could add a little to the board. I enjoy telling stories. Just like him.

Let me preface this. I do not live in Orleans Parish. I live just outside of it. My little city did not flood. The damage we received was wind damage. A lot of wind damage and wind driven rain. The government used the area I live in as a base station close to the city because it didn't flood and had good access to New Orleans. And we had power shortly after the storm.

On this day ten years ago I got zero sleep the night before. I sat up watching the storm coverage and drank a sh!t ton of beer. I couldn't believe that this day was actually going to happen. Ever since I was a little kid I wanted to witness and be part of something that big. Like Charlie the sperm, I had been ready so many times for the big one, and it ended up being a blow job. This was the real deal. The winds were coming, but it was no blow job. So after much fighting and much hugs and kisses and many be careful's, my entire family and extended family, fourteen in all, headed to Houston. It took them 20 hours to make the drive that would normally take five. Everybody in the entire greater New Orleans left at the same time. The only thing I did was sit and wait. And drank.

The cell phones were already starting to fail as everyone was using them, and, this was ten years ago. There were no smart phones and back then, barely anybody over fifteen was texting. Add in there weren't the amount of towers they have now, you could feel the communication disaster coming. I still keep a land line because of it. I lost it late that night, but it was back on a week later. The power was another concern. My dad bought a generator as a nervous impulse buy at Home Dept. He was going to give it to me but in my stoopid mind, I wasn't going to need. It couldn't run the A/C. The TV and cable were sure to be out. The cable was actually out for four months. We got the same four channels we had when we were kids. At the time I had AT&T dial up internet. I wouldn't have been able to use it until the land line was back up. It sure would have been nice though. I had almost no outside communication for one week. AM radio was my only friend. Anyway, every once in a while my cell phone would work. I could receive calls sometimes, but it was really hard to make an outgoing call. Funny fact: If you ask most people from this area how many minutes should have been on their phone bill that month, whether they stayed or left, most would respond thousands. When I dialed the phone the first few days, it would sound this funny siren like noise as soon as you hit send. Hang up and try again. I can remember doing it easily a hundred times in a row. Sometimes you'd get lucky. I figured my bill was going to easily be a thousand dollars that month. So did everyone else. The cell phone providers ended up not charging anything for two months. They didn't have anybody or any way to deliver the bill. Same with our gas and electricity. Charge card bills and mortgage were a different story. They were very patient.

As the day progressed, I'd get updates about how bad the traffic was. Someone once referred to evacuees that day as locusts. They would line up at any gas station they could and drain the pumps. Most gas stations between New Orleans and Laffayette were dried up. Even the shelves were bare. And since you couldn't pee inside the store, people were just finding a place and going outside. So it was just me and my radio waiting for the show.

Time for happy hour.

So everything was quiet come sundown. The winds were picking up and I was too. The air pressure alone gave me goose bumps. It was dropping. Fast. If you look outside tonight, that's the moon I remember. Full and to the west. I bowed down, did a shot, yelled. It was on.

Over the next few hours of her making landfall, I experienced that to this day, freaked me out. The drop in atmospheric pressure being the most. Once she hit, it wasn't the winds or rain. It was the breathing. My house breathed. You could see it. And hear it. It was as if it had lungs. My windows and doors were moving in sync. Had I opened any of them, I would have fawked it up. I sat drunk and afraid.

I literally questioned my existence and quit drinking from that moment.. It was the scariest moment of my life.

I had gone from" Let's Party" to "Mercy" What a poosay I'd become. It was bad. Really bad. But I didn't know how bad. Didn't believe for a second that the levees would break.How wrong was I?

I woke up today, ten years ago, to helicopters and gun fire. The copters flew over my house back and forth , I got to know what kind they were.

A chanuck big boy . A Black Hawk.....silent but deadly. A Huey.... Drop off. They flew over my house every night for weeks.

Jesus Christ. And you fockers wonder why nobody ever puts forth any effort to post something entertaining around here. Shut the fock up with the GFAIFP crap and let the man tell his story. Its better than 99% of the crap on this bored.

A few of us are enjoying it Bunny. Keep it coming,

Jeebus, bunny has some serious Giants fan syndrome going on right now.

Funny how nobody talks about Hurricane Rita. It is because we handled our own s***. I remember the minute the rain stopped, We were out there with shovels chainsaws and our bare hands Clearing drains so the water could drain away. I remember Bert and i Driving up to help out fellow geeks in eastern Texas.

What I don't remember Is mob scenes Screaming for their FEMA cards.

Yet another example of It ain't about race, it's about class.

Look on the bright side. At least the NFL handed you a Super Bowl. :P

that went swimmingly too.

I woke up today, ten years ago, to helicopters and gun fire.

Gun fire? What would they have been shooting at?

Gun fire? What would they have been shooting at?

National guard troops, cops that didn't run, each other..

I'd imagine looters breaking into homes and running into unhappy homeowners already at wits end. In Bunny's neighborhood there may have been more emergency workers than residents rendering it sub-prime looting territory. I'll wait for the story to unfold.

T-minus 2 hours til we get our update.

:D

I love this thread, BB. Keep going.

:cheers:

I played 27 holes today. Walked it. Lost ten balls and drank a sh!t ton if beer and Crown Royal Apple Jell-O shots. Need to post. :cheers:

I played 27 holes today. Walked it. Lost ten balls and drank a sh!t ton if beer and Crown Royal Apple Jell-O shots. Need to post. :cheers:

It's not long before this recall includes hookers.

:D

National guard troops, cops that didn't run, each other..

This. It was bad.The thugs were shooting at the gelided