Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

goodbye Mount McKinley

I just read that Obama has decided To rename Mount McKinley. I am so glad he's Keeping on top of the important issues.Hello mount Denali.

Just a matter of time before he renames Mount Rushmore As mount Kanye.

It is only going to get worse as he gets closer and closer To Leaving office.

A quick recap...

Mountain was called Denali for centuries until the US government decided to rename it following President McKinley's assassination.

In 1975, Alaska began efforts to return the original name (as that is the name that has been used by locals the entire time anyway).

Ohio legislators (McKinley's home state) block attempts to return the original name of a mountain in another state.

In 2009, Republican state senator from Alaska introduces legislation to change the name back to Denali, again causing Ohio to complain.

National Park Service says that the name change is fine.

Obama approves the name change.

tl;dr - Of all the sh*t to blast Obama's awful presidency for, this qualifies as ridiculous outrage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali%E2%80%93Mount_McKinley_naming_dispute

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us/mount-mckinley-will-be-renamed-denali.html

I think it's just Denali.

I've been there a few times. (To the park, never climbed it.)

Right decision to rename it :thumbsup:

I just read that Obama has decided To rename Mount McKinley. I am so glad he's Keeping on top of the important issues.Hello mount Denali.

:bench:

Locals called it Denali, kind of like Sears tower, might be Willis tower, but everyone still calls it Sears.

FYI, this move was called for by alaska's republican senator and their independent governor.

Good thread...you really showed us something today. :thumbsup:

It sounds like McKinley never visited Alaska or had any historical ties to the state.

A. He didn't decide to do it...he signed off on it.

B. Do you think it took any of his time to do it?

C. This is old...it had been decided to call it Denali as it should have been/was a while ago. This was window dressing.

D. Dumb thing to cry about...even if just fishing.

Good move. Ohio lawmakers want a mountain named after McKinley they should pick one in Ohio and go for it.

I'm still in a state of denali over this.

If he had any balls, he'd rename it Mt. Obama. Just to rile up the mouth-breathers even more.

Ohio is just lucky we have Kentucky and West Virginia, or it would be the most useless state in America.

Ohio is just lucky we have Kentucky and West Virginia, or it would be the most useless state in America.

Don't forget Mississippi and Tennesse too.

Don't forget Mississippi and Tennesse too.

I mostly agree, but Nashville and Jackson/Biloxi have big influences on the history of American music. They get a pass for that.

If he had any balls, he'd rename it Mt. Obama. Just to rile up the mouth-breathers even more.

I would travel there just so I could piss on it.

You guys crack me up. It has been McKinley for a hundred years. So, what's next? Do we go back to New Amsterdam? Where do we go beyond that to what the Indians called it?

The larger point is this, If it isn't f****** obvious, Do you have any idea How many post offices Have been renamed by presidents? Here's a thought it, delegate that s***. Same with Obama and his Mountain. If I were a boss and I found out that my highest ranking employee was worrying about post offices and mountains and other b*******, I fired the guy for his inability to prioritize.

If anything, sign a f****** XO That allows lesser bodies or some other process To rname useless b*******.

As long as they don't rename the Grand Tetons. :wub:

It makes me think of boobages. :)

You guys crack me up. It has been McKinley for a hundred years. So, what's next? Do we go back to New Amsterdam? Where do we go beyond that to what the Indians called it?

The larger point is this, If it isn't f****** obvious, Do you have any idea How many post offices Have been renamed by presidents? Here's a thought it, delegate that s***. Same with Obama and his ###### Mountain. If I were a boss and I found out that my highest ranking employee was worrying about post offices and mountains and other b*******, I fired the guy for his inability to prioritize.

Well, if the Dutch wanted to rename NYC, that would be a problem. But considering it's the people in Alaska, where the mountain is, are the ones that want to rename it, I don't think your analogy is appropriate.

The larger point is this, If it isn't f****** obvious, Do you have any idea How many post offices Have been renamed by presidents? Here's a thought it, delegate that s***. Same with Obama and his ###### Mountain. If I were a boss and I found out that my highest ranking employee was worrying about post offices and mountains and other b*******, I fired the guy for his inability to prioritize.

No, the larger point is it's a focking mountain. It doesn't give a rats what we name it.

The larger larger point is who really gives a fock? It was dumb it was called McKinley in the first place and the Alaskans want it changed. And it sounds like Sally Jewell did most everything and Obama signed off on it. That's kinda the definition of delegating.

Its not our fault you are ignorant on what actually happened and Obama's involvement.

This is something Id expect from phurfur, RP, or Hawker...with you, I just assume you never stopped drinking last night.

The larger larger point is who really gives a fock? It was dumb it was called McKinley in the first place and the Alaskans want it changed. And it sounds like Sally Jewell did most everything and Obama signed off on it. That's kinda the definition of delegating.

Maybe he should have had Michelle sign the bill for him. Just to be sure it was delegated all the way.

Maybe he should have had Michelle sign the bill for him. Just to be sure it was delegated all the way.

She was too busy testing samsonite luggage

• Like 1

Nobody answered the question. Should we go back to New Amsterdam Because The Netherlands Hates the idea of New York? Do you realize there was actually a vote Between whether the official language Would be Dutch Or English?

I mean seriously, Why is America called America? Because America Vespucci Allegedly found it? Yet lthere were millions of inhabitants already on this continent calling it something different?

Again, just tell me where you draw the line. And why logically, that you do so. And I'm totally for it.Just like with McKinley, Our various governments renamed Thousands of schools after Kennedy, after he was assassinated, Even though, After time, it was revealed that he was a degenerate adulterer. Which ended up getting Clinton Impeached.. Is that the new standard? Should we go back and re-brand All the Kennedy junior highs To their so called original names?Should George Bush International Airport Go back to its original name Because some old School Don't like the new name? Where does it start? And, More to the point,where does it end?

I mean, just tell me the line, And I will Toe it. But, If the new rule is, Whatever the indigenous people Originally called A location, Monument, Or geographic formation, should be the new name Of those places, We've got a lot of f****** maps to amend.

Nobody answered the question. Should we go back to New Amsterdam Because The Netherlands Hates the idea of New York? Do you realize there was actually a vote Between whether the official language Would be Dutch Or English?

I mean seriously, Why is America called America? Because America Vespucci Allegedly found it? Yet lthere were millions of inhabitants already on this continent calling it something different?

Again, just tell me where you draw the line. And why logically, that you do so. And I'm totally for it.Just like with McKinley, Our various governments renamed Thousands of schools after Kennedy, after he was assassinated, Even though, After time, it was revealed that he was a degenerate adulterer. Which ended up getting Clinton Impeached.. Is that the new standard? Should we go back and re-brand All the Kennedy junior highs To their so called original names?Should George Bush International Airport Go back to its original name Because some old School Don't like the new name? Where does it start? And, More to the point,where does it end?

I mean, just tell me the line, And I will Toe it. But, If the new rule is, Whatever the indigenous people Originally called A location, Monument, Or geographic formation, should be the new name Of those places, We've got a lot of f****** maps to amend.

Not getting the whole part about the Dutch being from another country, are you. Alaska is part of our country, and should have a say in the name of the landmarks and natural occurrences in their own state. Alaska wanted to rename it, not Mexico.

Wow, minutes after i posted. You arestill a stalking freako, huh?

And, to your moronic point. We bought Alaska free and clear.How many millions of examples Can be laid out About businesses that have bought other businesses and or landmarks, say The Sears vs Willis Tower, Can be laid out to express that point?

Unless you have a different history book? Amsterdam didn't buy any part of New England and damn sure not New York.

Wow, minutes after i posted. You arestill a stalking freako, huh?

And, to your moronic point. We bought Alaska free and clear.How many millions of examples Can be laid out About businesses that have bought other businesses and or landmarks, say The Sears vs Willis Tower, Can be laid out to express that point?

Unless you have a different history book? Amsterdam didn't buy any part of New England and damn sure not New York.

So stupid. But I do enjoy the thought of you yelling into your phone. This stuff really bothers you? Maybe you should go hang out with that 9 year old you're so fond of. Creepy Fock.

The only people who cared about this issue are people in Alaska and people in Ohio. Considering the mountain is in the former, their opinion is more relevant.

There is no line Wiffle. It's whatever the people in charge 'feel' like at the time. If enough people complain on Facebook they'll change the monument, mountain, bridge or school name. It's catering to the illogical, yet loud minority.

• Like 1