Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Here is why Goddell will keep the delfategate facade going as long as possible.

Notice I threw in the qualifier (on this subject) because I like you. :doublethumbsup:

That Frontline documentary (which ESPN was too pvssy to air) was the beginning of the end for the NFL. It's all borrowed time now

That Frontline documentary (which ESPN was too pvssy to air) was the beginning of the end for the NFL. It's all borrowed time now

Silly

Wow, I'm actually surprised you guys disagree. Seriously.

So you're telling me that as you sit here today, you really think the NFL will continue on indefinitely for decades and decades? I'm not saying they're folding up shop next year or anything but I think the end point is now on the map

So you're telling me that as you sit here today, you really think the NFL will continue on indefinitely for decades and decades? I'm not saying they're folding up shop next year or anything but I think the end point is now on the map

I don't think there is any end in sight.

There will be changes...there will have to be.

But I don't think it will end any time in my lifetime or my son's.

I'm with you to a point.

The concussion issue is almost criminal and i have no doubt that there will at least be some people suggesting the league should be shut down. Then add the way Goodell has lost credibility as a leader that can be trusted.... And the scenario is out there in which the league isn't active in 15 years.

That said, I think what is more likely is that we are on the precipice of the NFL's golden era collapsing. In 20 years, the NFL will be here, but it'll be about as popular hockey is now.

One way the owners can save it is with a fall guy or 3 and then to change the game... Throw the concussion issue onto Goodell and a few others (as crooked as he is, the narrative would be easy to create)...find helmets that eliminate concussions or change the rules to eliminate enough of the hitting to solve the issue. And maybe you don't lose much.

Honestly I don't see the NFL collapsing at all. Americans love football too much for it to just drop off the map. Now there might be some drastic changes to the game. But ultimately I believe it is here to stay

This is the Patriots fans version of taking their ball and going home. The fans of 31 other teams are. It rooting for the demise of the NFL like these front runners are. Suck it up. The wounds were self inflicted, and at yhe end of the day it was the Patriots that caused their current plight.

This is the Patriots fans version of taking their ball and going home. The fans of 31 other teams are. It rooting for the demise of the NFL like these front runners are. Suck it up. The wounds were self inflicted, and at yhe end of the day it was the Patriots that caused their current plight.

I guess Patriot fans think less of the league's leadership.....but you think it's only Patriot fans that have major issues with the way the league has handled concussions? People are actually dead, and the league played a role in that. If only Pats fans see that as an issue, then 31 teams need more humane fans.

I guess Patriot fans think less of the league's leadership.....but you think it's only Patriot fans that have major issues with the way the league has handled concussions? People are actually dead, and the league played a role in that. If only Pats fans see that as an issue, then 31 teams need more humane fans.

Problems need to be corrected. No doubt. But the only ones rooting for the end of the NFL as a group are Pats fans. This will be but a blip on the cash cow that the NFL is. Maybe it won't see the hights it has, but destruction? Not likely. Bread and Circuses.

Problems need to be corrected. No doubt. But the only ones rooting for the end of the NFL as a group are Pats fans. This will be but a blip on the cash cow that the NFL is. Maybe it won't see the hights it has, but destruction? Not likely. Bread and Circuses.

Where's your evidence that Pats fans as a group are rooting for the end of the NFL?

I don't think I've seen anyone here rooting for the end of the NFL. I think most of us are huge fans.

Maybe they hear the clock ticking on Brady's career and they know that the Cleveland Brown's version of Belichick is just around the corner. The NFL isn't ending, but the glory days of the NFL are for those guys.

The NFL already got it's mitts on this movie and certain parts they originally wanted to show have been cut from the movie.

SONY bent over and took it from the NFL

Uggh.

1. This lawsuit with Berman was actually filed by the NFL and not the NFLPA. The NFL sued first.

2. The movie will not bring the end of the NFL. The effects have already been felt and the game has changed significantly since the events that the movie is based on occurred.

3. This is more of a problem for youth football. Parents will think that little Billy will get CTE from playing youth football and will instead allow him to play Madden and CoD. Kid won't get CTE, but he will be a no-discipline loser with Type II diabetes.

3. This is more of a problem for youth football. Parents will think that little Billy will get CTE from playing youth football and will instead allow him to play Madden and CoD. Kid won't get CTE, but he will be a no-discipline loser with Type II diabetes.

Yeah, football is the only sport before sitting in front of the TV :wacko:

you're one of those super macho dads! My kid is playing football! I don't care if the doctors recommend waiting till 14 to play football. I AM MAN! I AM MACHO!

Yeah, football is the only sport before sitting in front of the TV :wacko:

you're one of those super macho dads! My kid is playing football! I don't care if the doctors recommend waiting till 14 to play football. I AM MAN! I AM MACHO!

You missed the point. Studies show that football is not the only sport where concussions occur in high numbers. Soccer is very high on that list. So is hockey and lacrosse. Heck, cheerleading is high on the list.

There was a really good story in the Boston Globe Magazine last week about parents coddling their kids like never before. Kids don't just go play in the woods or ride their bikes down the street or do all sorts of things that they used to do because parents are worried about the worst possible outcome for everything.

As far as kids waiting to play football until 14, that is probably a little misguided by some doctors. The reality is that kids hit far harder and far more often when they reach 12-14 than when they are 8-9. I know. I coach those age groups. The younger kids don't have concussions at the same rates either (look it up as it is a striking contrast). The problem is not the initial concussion. It is the repetitive hitting of their heads and leaving insufficient time to heal from the trauma that causes the problems.

The game of youth football has changed radically over the last 10 years or so. It is far safer than it was 50+ years ago when the players in this movie were youths. The reality is that we don't know whether we have moved the needle in player safety yet, but I do know that there is an assault on sports. Just look at the rapid increase in kids who play no sports at all over the last 10 years.

It is movies like this that pander to people like you who spend no time actually looking into the contributing factors.

Makers of "Concussion" Tried to Avoid Angering the NFL

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/09/sony-changed-parts-of-councussion?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

When it comes to concussions, the NFL would rather talk about about something else. A movie on that subject starring Will Smith hitting theaters in time for the holidays could make that extra hard. No doubt, Roger Goodell and Co. are hoping it's another After Earth.

And while you may think the brass of the league is freaked by the story of the doctor who identified C.T.E. being projected onto the big screen, it also appears that the films creators, and the studio behind it (Sony), were probably much more cautious in crossing the NFL. Emails exposed by hackers showed that those working on the movie had the league in mind throughout the time they were putting it together.

The marketing of the movie was reportedly altered to accentuate the tale of a whistleblower (real life doctor Bennet Omalu) instead of making it a condemnation of the sport. Said Dwight Caines, Sony Pictures' president of domestic marketing:

what a despicable organization the NFL is :thumbsdown:

Where's your evidence that Pats fans as a group are rooting for the end of the NFL?

MB is a giant blowhard, just ignore him :thumbsup:

Uggh.

1. This lawsuit with Berman was actually filed by the NFL and not the NFLPA. The NFL sued first.

2. The movie will not bring the end of the NFL. The effects have already been felt and the game has changed significantly since the events that the movie is based on occurred.

1. While true...it was done to pre-empt the NFLPA's move to get this in a different court.

2. Agreed.

3. It is...not only that, the good (at least for soccer and other sports) is that there will be increased in other sports. Though, not figuring out there are plenty of concussion problems in soccer.

Makers of "Concussion" Tried to Avoid Angering the NFL

http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/09/sony-changed-parts-of-councussion?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

what a despicable organization the NFL is :thumbsdown:

Don't underestimate that the primary people who will be marketed to are people already familiar with or fans of football. When you market to them, you have to make it appealing to them to want to go see the movie, while also telling the story. Peter King was talking about this in his MMQB this week.

Don't underestimate that the primary people who will be marketed to are people already familiar with or fans of football. When you market to them, you have to make it appealing to them to want to go see the movie, while also telling the story. Peter King was talking about this in his MMQB this week.

I don't think it will be that successful anyway. You need a compelling personal story and I'm not sure the doc suffices. Think a Junior Seau-type character who struggles through life after football due to CTE. Show the whole thing - his rise, triumphs and the horrible fall.

Kinda like The Wrestler but less Aronofsky-esque.

Uggh.

A funny factual point that the pro-Goodell faction likes to ignore.

They only did that to beat the NFLPA to the punch and keep it out of Minnesota.

As far as kids waiting to play football until 14, that is probably a little misguided by some doctors. .....

The problem is not the initial concussion. It is the repetitive hitting of their heads and leaving insufficient time to heal from the trauma that causes the problems.

I haven't studied up on why doctors want kids to wait until age 14.....But doesn't the repetitive hitting explain that?

Lets face it. If you have a kid playing football all his life, he is unlikely to suddenly quit once he gets to high school. So you can either expose him to 10 years (ages 8-18) of repetitive hits, or push him to wait and only expose him to 4 years (ages 14-18) of repetitive hits. Seems like a good strategy, if in fact the cumulative effect of repeated hits is the largest issue.

They only did that to beat the NFLPA to the punch and keep it out of Minnesota.

Oh, I know. But the pro-Goodell side still loses their moral high ground when they claim Brady won't let this go and that's why we are in court.......settling a law suit filed by the NFL.

It's like telling your buddy "I only snorted all the coke because I knew you'd snort it all.", then telling your buddy "I'm antidrugs, and I hate you for putting me in that position to have to do all the drugs"...... Yes, that's the analogy I'm going with. :thumbsup:

I haven't studied up on why doctors want kids to wait until age 14.....But doesn't the repetitive hitting explain that?

Lets face it. If you have a kid playing football all his life, he is unlikely to suddenly quit once he gets to high school. So you can either expose him to 10 years (ages 8-18) of repetitive hits, or push him to wait and only expose him to 4 years (ages 14-18) of repetitive hits. Seems like a good strategy, if in fact the cumulative effect of repeated hits is the largest issue.

That is a good way to look at it except for a few points:

- all of the studies that show problems due to repetitive injuries have been done on men that have played in college and the pros. Those guys have been hitting almost year round for decades and the drills that they ran back then were intended to make you tough.

- Most kids will not just pick up the game at 14 when they get to high school. Most kids will be in a situation where all of the other kids have been playing for years and those first two seasons will be just getting acclimated to how to play the basics. It is like saying that you will not do math until you get to HS because you can just play then. You have so much catch up that you don't even both trying. The stats show that kids are dropping out of sports at the HS level instead of starting there.

- Why can't we just change it so that we are not exposing kids to repetitive hits like they used to be exposed to. We limit the amount of time and the types of hitting drills that can be done. We have equipment that is 100 times better than it was 10 years ago as it relates to protecting the head. We teach players to not lead with their head when tackling and to keep the head out of the play. That is a stark contrast to how things were taught even 5 years ago.

- The lessons learned in playing football go beyond what happens on the field. The discipline and mental toughness aspects are very important in the maturity of young people. Do we just say, "let's wait before you play" and stick them in a bubble until they are 14? Do we have them play soccer or hockey instead? If so, the concussion numbers are just as bad there and there have been even less studies (and no movies) on the impact of those sports on players when they get older.

I am not saying that there are no dangers to playing youth football. I am saying that the game needs to continue to be made safer and in my opinion as a parent, that the benefits of playing for my kid far outweigh the potential dangers both short and long-term. I don't say that lightly as I cringe every time my son is tackling some kid who weighs 100 pounds more than him. I worry about it every day and every night.

As noted above...pre-emptive to keep the NFLPA from picking the venue.

A point you all want to ignore.

Oh, I know. But the pro-Goodell side still loses their moral high ground when they claim Brady won't let this go and that's why we are in court.......settling a law suit filed by the NFL.

It's like telling your buddy "I only snorted all the coke because I knew you'd snort it all.", then telling your buddy "I'm antidrugs, and I hate you for putting me in that position to have to do all the drugs"...... Yes, that's the analogy I'm going with. :thumbsup:

Its not losing any high ground...its realizing the facts of things...rather than your spin.

The NFL did it because they knew what Brady and the NFLPA were going to do...its factual that Brady is the one that is keeping this in court...not the NFL.

Its nothing like your analogy at all.

I played youth/high school football. I was an O Lineman. I had at least 2 definite concussions. I also had my "bell rung" on numerous occasions, probably numbering in the dozens in my 6 years of playing.Not to mention the thousands of full speed, full pad, head to head reps in games in practices. Im 45 and have suffered from migraines as long as i can remember. Lately ive been having one every week or week and a half. I woke up with one this morning. My moods change like lightning, often for no good reason. Maybe its from football, maybe its not.

When he was in 3rd grade, my younger son (who was then 2 or 3 lbs under the weight limit....105 lbs i think) got crushed by a teammate in football practice. No doubt he had a concussion. He was still bleary eyed an hour later. Had a headache 2 days later. He is 15 now and still suffers migraines. Two or three a month.

We almost never go anywhere without our meds. There is no doubt IMO that playing football at the very least exacerbated our migraines. (For the record my wife and other son, who has never had a concussion or taken a severe blow to the head do not ever have migraines)

This year my younger son, now a 6'4" 240 lbs sophomore in HS has a football coach for a math teacher. The recruiting has already begun. I dont think my son wants to play football, but he likes the attention. I will do everything in my power to discourage this. (Full disclosure there are other reasons too...expense, time, etc etc, but brain bashing is a big one in my book)

I love watching football, college and pro. But i'll let someone else's kids go out there and f0ck up their brains. Its not worth it. There are other ways to learn discipline and mental toughness and maturity.

As noted above...pre-emptive to keep the NFLPA from picking the venue.

A point you all want to ignore.

So, Brady should just take his punishment and not file suit, but the NFL should be able to file suit as a preemptive measure for the venue?

The NFL filed suit first. Brady definitely would have as well, which is well within his rights. Let's not make Brady out to be the bad guy when the league wants to give him the same punishment as domestic abusers even though they have no direct evidence.

So, Brady should just take his punishment and not file suit, but the NFL should be able to file suit as a preemptive measure for the venue?

The NFL filed suit first. Brady definitely would have as well, which is well within his rights. Let's not make Brady out to be the bad guy when the league wants to give him the same punishment as domestic abusers even though they have no direct evidence.

Brady cheated. He IS the bad guy. This is all his fault. Pretend it was Matt Ryan or Drew Brees. Then your eyes will clear up and you'll see the obvious.

Brady cheated. He IS the bad guy. This is all his fault. Pretend it was Matt Ryan or Drew Brees. Then your eyes will clear up and you'll see the obvious.

As I have stated before, if it is was Manning, I would be saying the same thing. The whole thing is a joke.

I played youth/high school football. I was an O Lineman. I had at least 2 definite concussions. I also had my "bell rung" on numerous occasions, probably numbering in the dozens in my 6 years of playing.Not to mention the thousands of full speed, full pad, head to head reps in games in practices. Im 45 and have suffered from migraines as long as i can remember. Lately ive been having one every week or week and a half. I woke up with one this morning. My moods change like lightning, often for no good reason. Maybe its from football, maybe its not.

When he was in 3rd grade, my younger son (who was then 2 or 3 lbs under the weight limit....105 lbs i think) got crushed by a teammate in football practice. No doubt he had a concussion. He was still bleary eyed an hour later. Had a headache 2 days later. He is 15 now and still suffers migraines. Two or three a month.

We almost never go anywhere without our meds. There is no doubt IMO that playing football at the very least exacerbated our migraines. (For the record my wife and other son, who has never had a concussion or taken a severe blow to the head do not ever have migraines)

This year my younger son, now a 6'4" 240 lbs sophomore in HS has a football coach for a math teacher. The recruiting has already begun. I dont think my son wants to play football, but he likes the attention. I will do everything in my power to discourage this. (Full disclosure there are other reasons too...expense, time, etc etc, but brain bashing is a big one in my book)

I love watching football, college and pro. But i'll let someone else's kids go out there and f0ck up their brains. Its not worth it. There are other ways to learn discipline and mental toughness and maturity.

:thumbsup:

That is your right as a parent to make that decision. There are plenty of kids that I don't think it is a good fit for. Some play anyway. Some prove me wrong and some prove me right.

The reality is that the game needs to continue to change and we need to continue to research as this has implications to sports other than football.

Until advertising no longer runs the entire world, the NFL will thrive. Thank god too, no reason to live without football.

As I have stated before, if it is was Manning, I would be saying the same thing. The whole thing is a joke.

Bullshitt! Only Pats fans are saying its a joke. Brady was a pussie for cheating and he's even more of a pussie for prolonging this and continuing his lies.

I'm not a Brady fan. I see this for what it is. :thumbsup:

Goddell is also behind Snuka being charged for murder :mad:

Similar to what Chris Rock said during this.

It's all to get your mind off concussions/CTE