Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Best Cheesesteak in Philadelphia?

Im in Philly, going to the Sixers/Bucks game tonight and the football game tomorrow. Need to kill the day, never had a Cheesesteak in the city.

So where do I go?

Pats, Genos or other?

Im not a big cheesesteak fan but Steves Prince of Steaks looks great and I hear Tony Lukes is among the best. Ive had a couple drunken Pats steaks that were fine but nothing special.

Enjoy the games my man, thats awesome. :cheers:

Overrated junk food

Well sure, but Im here, might as well partake if only for the simple reason to say I have.

• Like 1

Pudgies

It's all about the bread.

Pats-genos, tourist stuff. I mean, if you want to say that you went to Pat's or Geno's, fine, but doesn't meet the criteria you listed in the thread title.

Arent these things made with steak ums and cheese whiz?

Pass

Cheez Whiz was meant as a wartime replacement. And it did its job apparently. And yeah, there's a few things that we've adopted to our meals thanks to World War II. But most of us aren't sitting down to Sunday dinner and eating a giant spam loaf.

I don't like cheese whiz in the first place, but how anybody could choose cheese whiz over say smoked provolone is beyond me. Or mozzarella or literally anything that actually IS cheese as opposed to 'processed cheese food.'

And, whilst we're at it, there is literally no such thing as a chicken cheesesteak.

• Like 1

But honestly skip the cheesesteak and go to Dinics at the Rrading terminal Market and grab a roast pork sandwich.

If you need another joint to eat at

Chickie and Petes.

Multiple locations

Decent food good atmosphere- as far as good as it can be. I mean you're still in Philthadelphia

Never even been to Philly and even I know there are those 2 fabled cheesesteak places that are always in competition for top in the city. I forget the names, Genos and Joes? Id have to google it as even the many philly natives on this board are completely clueless of their cities entire identity and claim to fame.

Never even been to Philly and even I know there are those 2 fabled cheesesteak places that are always in competition for top in the city. I forget the names, Genos and Joes? Id have to google it as even the many philly natives on this board are completely clueless of their cities entire identity and claim to fame.

Genos and Pats. I am told theyre both meh tourist traps but dont like cheesesteaks enough to even know. Its a dumb food.

Genos and Pats. I am told theyre both meh tourist traps but dont like cheesesteaks enough to even know. Its a dumb food.

Those are the ones indeed. I know the amorosa bread roll is one of the big factors. Even in Cali, cheesesteak places always advertise authentic rolls from philly as a selling point. Man I could go for one right now.

But honestly skip the cheesesteak and go to Dinics at the Rrading terminal Market and grab a roast pork sandwich.

What he said...

Those are the ones indeed. I know the amorosa bread roll is one of the big factors. Even in Cali, cheesesteak places always advertise authentic rolls from philly as a selling point. Man I could go for one right now.

Overrated because good cheese steak sandwiches can be found in a lot of places

I enjoy a cheesesteak sandwich once or twice a year at fairs and such. Wouldnt eat em all the time but theyre tasty

Overrated because good cheese steak sandwiches can be found in a lot of places

Never had an official one. I have made them several times. I use swiss. Do they really use spray cheese? Or American fake cheese? Not sure why anyone would buy it. I like them. Even with the ol steakum stuff. But I have never used American cheese let lone spray cheddar or whatever.

Scrapple and Lox at the Penrose Diner.

:lol:

never have been to philly but wold want to try cheesesteaks from ginos and pats.

we have good places here, but would want to try some from the origins. would also want to try that pork sandwich.

my second year cooking at a hotel in CO, we had a cheesesteak on our lunch menu. was not "traditional" but still good.... we brought in the amoroso rolls.

we brought in the amoroso rolls.

Not to poo poo on the thread but aren't they Jersey based company ?

I do pick them up on the Blackhorse Pike when passing by on I95/NJ Turnpike.

Not to poo poo on the thread but aren't they Jersey based company ?

I do pick them up on the Blackhorse Pike when passing by on I95/NJ Turnpike.

there are synonymous with philly cheesesteaks. i had to look it up...says they started in NJ in 1904, moved to philly in 1914

Man, I already respected / liked the guy, but I didn't realize that Michael J Fox was a Philly guy. Who knew?

Him and his wife of 20 years, Tracy, opened up a shop in a disadvantaged neighborhood to create jobs and promote foot traffic.

Gotta check it out next time I'm there.

Anybody been to Steak and Shake?

As a Texan, our cheesesteaks are vastly different from Philly's.. Was shocked to know they use cheese whiz.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg507/KSB2424/eagles1.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg507/KSB2424/eagles2.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg507/KSB2424/eagles5.jpg

The game was fun, I managed to get on the field before the game and in the tunnel after. I've never been in a stadium that got as loud as it was after the Pick 6. :overhead:

• Like 1

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg507/KSB2424/eagles1.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg507/KSB2424/eagles2.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg507/KSB2424/eagles5.jpg

The game was fun, I managed to get on the field before the game and in the tunnel after. I've never been in a stadium that got as loud as it was after the Pick 6. :overhead:

Pfft clearly all these pics are fakes you found online.

I like Tony Luke's the best. The "gravy" makes the sandwich for me.

• Like 1

Pfft clearly all these pics are fakes you found online.

And still no MDC pics.

missed this thread...why were you here? to see a real team and fans???

cheesesteaks...im no expert really. don't really eat them any more. used to go places late night back in the day that i liked better.....but if your a queer tourist like yourself then you probably should go with genos or pats or tony lucs...like you did...was there huge line like usual? always amazes me that idiots stand and wait for those places.