Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

California possible split into 3 states. What are the real motives for this?

Yes, this. fun fact...California is the 5th largest economy in the world.

So? Are they the fifth best? Doesn't seem like it is with all the people fleeing it.

So? Are they the fifth best? Doesn't seem like it is with all the people fleeing it.

Looking at the 5th worst economies in the world, I think it would definitely be better to live in the top 5 than bottom 5.

Guinea
Chad
Yemen
Mauritania
Angola

I don't even know where Mauritania is. :dunno:

Looking at the 5th worst economies in the world, I think it would definitely be better to live in the top 5 than bottom 5.

Guinea

Chad

Yemen

Mauritania

Angola

I don't even know where Mauritania is. :dunno:

Of course it's not near the bottom, but I keep hearing they are the fifth largest, and that doesn't really say much. It has a large population and land mass., it reasons that it's always been one of the larger economies. Seems like a play on words meant to make it look better than it is. Because it seems Moonbeam and the left have run it into the ground.

Of course it's not near the bottom, but I keep hearing they are the fifth largest, and that doesn't really say much. It has a large population and land mass., it reasons that it's always been one of the larger economies. Seems like a play on words meant to make it look better than it is. Because it seems Moonbeam and the left have run it into the ground.

it also had so much agricultural it supplies the country with I think a 1/3rd of all produce

it also has the most millionaires and the most homeless, and people living in the lower class, and has the biggest shrinking middle class in the nation

• Like 1

it also had so much agricultural it supplies the country with I think a 1/3rd of all produce

it also has the most millionaires and the most homeless, and people living in the lower class, and has the biggest shrinking middle class in the nation

When the middle class starts to leave, it should be a blinking red light somrhting is wrong.

and everyone of those was red in the governor race. I am telling you I feel a big shift coming

this far left progressivism is not popular in the least

Can't you just throw those far left nuts into the ocean? Jesus, they've ruined that state.

Agreed. The Democrats have done a remarkable job at it.

In this case, I agree. Tim Draper definitely dipped into the republican playbook on this one.

Waste of ballot space as it will never happen. Also they got greedy, should have been 2, not 3. People have long said N and S Cali would make sense. But this silly middle area is not helping the cause and invalidates the whole thing.

This. Waste of energy. Not happening. Not worth my time to even consider. Moving on

Waste of ballot space as it will never happen. Also they got greedy, should have been 2, not 3. People have long said N and S Cali would make sense. But this silly middle area is not helping the cause and invalidates the whole thing.

2 states would be 2 blue states in that case, thats why its 3 or nothing

I will vote for it just cause in our lifetime we have never seen a structural change to the 50 states, and I would love to follow the process

gerrymandering

That's what RHR is missing.

He wants a divorce from the loonies but what he'll get are three pieces all controlled by the loonies.

They'd get four more electoral votes. You get one EV per congresman and senator you have. While Congressmen in House of Represnetatives would remain the same, four more senators would get four more EV..

I don't think it would work out that way. The one part that is left will lose Congressmen and Senator's because they'll lose constituents. The state as whole gets 55, the one part that's left won't keep all 55 with the new states getting 2. I think it's based on population.

I don't think it would work out that way. The one part that is left will lose Congressmen and Senator's because they'll lose constituents. The state as whole gets 55, the one part that's left won't keep all 55 with the new states getting 2. I think it's based on population.

The same number of reps would be split three ways. Each new piece gets two new senators.

This is a joke. The Republican Party already has the electoral college to keep rural interests over represented.

The same number of reps would be split three ways. Each new piece gets two new senators.

This is a joke. The Republican Party already has the electoral college to keep rural interests over represented.

Yes, that's right. I misread his comments.

That's what RHR is missing.

He wants a divorce from the loonies but what he'll get are three pieces all controlled by the loonies.

thats ok, even if its a moderate dem, leftist and progressive at least there is a more sensible solution than 1 state controlled by the dumbest politician ever in Gavin Newsom

Currently CA has 55 EV. Is that 2 senators and 53 congress members?

New version would have 3 states with 6 total senators, 53 congress members, so 59 EV total.

Split 3 ways (because this plan intentionally designed the split to be equal in population, as well as income and industry) that equals 19 EV for 2 states and 20 EV for the other state.

SoCal would vote Red. OG Cal would vote blue. NorCal would vote blue.

Meaning Republicans would get 19 EV rather than 0 like the current system.

Equivalent of another Ohio or Pennsylvania.

That is why this will never pass.

Even if CA voters approve, it still has to be approved by the state (it won't because those state reps would essentially be firing themselves, having to run again in their new state). And if it miraculously was approved by CA then it would have to be approved in DC. No way the Dems vote to give up 19 EV.

Unfortunately this is nothing more than a mental exercise. SoCal would be an awesome state to live in.

especially when Socal decides hey no gas tax, no water regulations (cause San Diego has infinite water) and we are going to give incentives to businesses to boom in the eastern counties like Desert Hot Springs is already seeing

then you got Temecula valley wineries which already shred Napa

Currently CA has 55 EV. Is that 2 senators and 53 congress members?

New version would have 3 states with 6 total senators, 53 congress members, so 59 EV total.

Split 3 ways (because this plan intentionally designed the split to be equal in population, as well as income and industry) that equals 19 EV for 2 states and 20 EV for the other state.

SoCal would vote Red. OG Cal would vote blue. NorCal would vote blue.

Meaning Republicans would get 19 EV rather than 0 like the current system.

Equivalent of another Ohio or Pennsylvania.

That is why this will never pass.

Even if CA voters approve, it still has to be approved by the state (it won't because those state reps would essentially be firing themselves, having to run again in their new state). And if it miraculously was approved by CA then it would have to be approved in DC. No way the Dems vote to give up 19 EV.

Unfortunately this is nothing more than a mental exercise. SoCal would be an awesome state to live in.

So why just Cali? Most states have a political minority that never gets votes.

We should do away with winner take all entirely. Do like that one state, Nebraska I think, does.

So why just Cali? Most states have a political minority that never gets votes.

We should do away with winner take all entirely. Do like that one state, Nebraska I think, does.

The democrats would have to drastically change their ideology or go out of business.

I dunno. Theyd pick up a lot of places in red states too.

They basically win about 6 states now, plus some small ones. They would give up a lot of electoral votes in NY, Illinois and California

The State of Jefferson makes more sense. It's been proposed for longer and when you're in that part of the state there's clearly lots of support for it.

The area

They basically win about 6 states now, plus some small ones. They would give up a lot of electoral votes in NY, Illinois and California

But a lot of the population centers in red states are blue. It would even out somewhat I think.

Personally, I think it should be one person one vote popular vote nationwide anyway. Gerography shouldnt matter.

I can't believe some our tax dollars are being wasted for this abortion of an idea. :thumbsdown:

What's next? Texor trying to secede from the union? :o

especially when Socal decides hey no gas tax, no water regulations (cause San Diego has infinite water) and we are going to give incentives to businesses to boom in the eastern counties like Desert Hot Springs is already seeing

then you got Temecula valley wineries which already shred Napa

Sonoma Co. and even Mendocino County (Anderson Valley) are big wine areas. Even Alameda Co. is getting in the game. I'm suprised at how many vineyards are in areas I didn't anticipate them to be, just because Napa comes to mind. It's seemingly happened within the last decade. It feels like "vineyard spawl" the same way I remember being in awe of all the burgeoning suburbs when I was a kid.

Volcanic and marine soils are :thumbsup: I'm not sure what's in Temecula. Educate me.

As an aside, from a N. Californian's perspective, that statement... :D

But a lot of the population centers in red states are blue. It would even out somewhat I think.

Personally, I think it should be one person one vote popular vote nationwide anyway. Gerography shouldnt matter.

Disagree.

Sonoma Co. and even Mendocino County (Anderson Valley) are big wine areas. Even Alameda Co. is getting in the game. I'm suprised at how many vineyards are in areas I didn't think, just because Napa usually comes to mind.

Didn't they all get burned down last summer?

Didn't they all get burned down last summer?

It wasn't actually that big of a hit on the wine industry, even in the counties most impacted, more of a loss for individuals.

I know. Conservatives feel that rural areas should get an equal say even though nobody lives there.

:D

Raiders-

It wasn’t until October 23, 1984, that the area was designated as the “Temecula AVA”. The AVA was given, due to the unique Mediterranean climate (often thought to be too hot to grow good grapes). The morning mist helps keep moisture in the soil without too much rain. Coastal air keeps the temperature down and soil from getting too dry. The decomposing granite soils are a light, sandy loam, which keeps it well drained… ideal for grapevines. On June 18, 2004, the AVA name was changed to "Temecula Valley AVA". As a historical note, this is the only American Viticultural Area to change its name following initial approval.

:thumbsup:

(was too impatient for you to educate me)

Their Mediterranean climate might be best suited for grapes from Southern Italy, Sicily, or Greece, yet they continue to grow Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay with (again, my opinion) average results. Thankfully, many wineries are now experimenting with different international varieties, which could well lead Temecula into being the next exciting AVA in California. Only time will tell.

I know. Conservatives feel that rural areas should get an equal say even though nobody lives there.

Liberals think irresponsible breeders should call the shots. As long as they vote the way they are told.

From what Ive been seeing a lot of people who are from Cali moved and dont want to move back. Just visit there and said to hell with ever living there again

Raiders-

:thumbsup:

(was too impatient for you to educate me)

I don't know any of the scientific stuff, but I goto the wineries here all the time, and I have never had a bottle from Napa in the 20$ range that can compare to even half of the Temecula Valley ones

its an awesome tourist attraction, about 20 miles of wineries and great tours

Raiders-

I don't think you should call him that.

I imagine if my username were BuckeyeHater and someone called me 'Buckeye', I'd blow a brain circuit.

• Like 1

Yes, this. fun fact...California is the 5th largest economy in the world.

And where does it rank in terms of debt? Also, remember to allocate the portion of the federal debt that belongs to California. I am curious.