Sign in to follow this  
MDC

The *** Official *** Eagles offseason thread

I like what they're doing with the D: a lot of low risk moving parts to take up the void where all the bloated veteran loafers used to play. It can't get worse in the secondary. :dunno:

I like what they're doing with the D: a lot of low risk moving parts to take up the void where all the bloated veteran loafers used to play. It can't get worse in the secondary. :dunno:

I like bringing in a lot of younger guys coming off an injury or down season. A lot of upside in this group. They also mostly come from winning organizations. This approach to free agency is much better than just throwing money at big names.

• Like 1

Sounding less likely that Geno is the pick. I'm thinking either they stay put and draft Fisher or deal down to the 9-10 range and hope for Womack, Lane Johnson or Dion Jordan. :dunno:

Still hoping for Star though. They won't do any better at NT in a 3-4.

Star Lotulelei - DL - Player According to SI's Peter King, the Eagles like Utah DT Star Lotulelei "a lot."

Per King, the Eagles believe Lotulelei can play "all along the line," including nose tackle. It's the first time Lotulelei has been officially linked to the Eagles, though he's been viewed as a potential top-five pick for months. Lotulelei shouldn't fall out of the top ten. Source: Sports Illustrated Apr 15 - 9:45 AM

Kyle Long - G - Player Philly Mag's Sheil Kapadia considers Oregon OG Kyle Long "a name to watch" at the Eagles' No. 35 overall pick.

If the Birds pass on an offensive lineman at No. 4, we'd almost expect them draft one at 35. Long played left guard and left tackle for Chip Kelly's Oregon Ducks last season and is considered a top-40 overall prospect. The Eagles really need a right tackle so that they can kick Todd Herremans to right guard. Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 Apr 14 - 2:28 PM

Geno Smith - QB - Player A league source told Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle to "plug Geno (Smith) in here" regarding the Eagles' draft pick at No. 4 overall.

Zierlein says he "usually listen(s) when this guy speaks," referring to the source. Smith does have experience in an up-tempo offense like the one Chip Kelly will implement in Philadelphia, and the Eagles have no long-term quarterback solution. We remain confident Smith won't get out of the top-ten picks.

Good info Next Gen. :thumbsup:

If I had to guess right now I'd say either Star or Fisher at 4 with an outside chance they deal down but stay in the Top for either Dion or Lane. I think it's a near certainty our first round pick is a lineman.

Star is my pick - I think he's a multiyear pro bowler on a D that's desperate for a talent upgrade. I'm less excited about Dion Jordan but he makes a lot of sense as a 3-4 end.

I won't be shocked if the Jags or Raiders take Geno but I think Philly passes even if he's there at 4. He's more of a mid first round talent who's going to go high mostly cause its a bad draft for QBs. If he slips out of the Top 4-5 he will be a Cardinal or Bill.

Pressing needs right now are a versatile OT, a nose tackle and defensive end. CB and developmental QB are secondary. A real luxury would be another safety and a big WR.

Can't wait for the draft.

Gotta have a presence in the middle regardless of scheme. 3-4 or 4-3...without both Patterson and Jenkins we needed to address depth. They've gotten a capable player already in free agency so its not a necessity.

Imagine Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Trent Cole, and Star all rotating in the D Line.

But just the same, if its not Fischer/Joeckel they can trade back and probably get a good bounty to sit on for this and/or next draft

I'm hoping Star or Fisher but I've got a bad feeling its either Lane Johndon or the Eagles trade down.

I'm hoping Star or Fisher but I've got a bad feeling its either Lane Johndon or the Eagles trade down.

Sounds like they think Lane Johnson is a better fit for Chip Kelly's system than Eric Fisher.

Trading down wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. I think this draft is fairly deep but lacks star power. The Eagles have so many needs that picking up another 2nd and/or 3rd rounder to move back to around the early teens wouldn't be a bad thing.

A big part of me has been feeling that Dion Jordan is the pick. Kendricks did good and Ryans flamed out about halfway through the season. It'd be nice to have a legitimate linebacking corps after all the scrubs during the Reid regime. The biggest concern is taking him with the fourth pick.

I think the Eagles can move down a couple spots and still get Jordan as some of the other top 10 teams have much more pressing needs than a linebacker.

Sounds like the first two picks are now likely to be Joeckel and Fisher. If so, it will probably leave the Eagles with the choice of Lane Johnson, Star Lotulelei, or Dion Jordan (or trading down). I'm not a Dion Jordan fan. I think he is VERY overrated. This is a guy who was only THIRD on his own team in tackles for a loss last season. Seems like a bad sign to me. I also just think the Eagles have bigger needs.

Sounds like the first two picks are now likely to be Joeckel and Fisher. If so, it will probably leave the Eagles with the choice of Lane Johnson, Star Lotulelei, or Dion Jordan (or trading down). I'm not a Dion Jordan fan. I think he is VERY overrated. This is a guy who was only THIRD on his own team in tackles for a loss last season. Seems like a bad sign to me. I also just think the Eagles have bigger needs.

If the first two picks are OTs I pray they take Star at 4 to fill the need for a NT and draft an OL like Pugh in round two. I haven't seen enough of Jordan to really comment but I think a pass rushing 3-4 LB/DE is much less urgent than help on the OL or a nose tackle.

If the first two picks are OTs I pray they take Star at 4 to fill the need for a NT and draft an OL like Pugh in round two. I haven't seen enough of Jordan to really comment but I think a pass rushing 3-4 LB/DE is much less urgent than help on the OL or a nose tackle.

I'd be fine with Lotulelei or Lane Johnson (or even Chance Warmack), whoever they think is the best player available. Sharif Floyd obviously isn't a fit, I don't like Dion Jordan that much, and I've obviously made my feelings known on Geno Smith or taking any QB that high.

I'd be fine with Lotulelei or Lane Johnson (or even Chance Warmack), whoever they think is the best player available. Sharif Floyd obviously isn't a fit, I don't like Dion Jordan that much, and I've obviously made my feelings known on Geno Smith or taking any QB that high.

It's so odd being in this spot that many, if not all, of these players could legitimately get selected by the Eagles and fill needs, but we have no insight to what scheme Kelly and his coordinators are planning and what type of personnel is required for both the offense and defense. Very refreshing...but almost more nerve racking than wondering how Andy Reid could screw up a draft

All of a sudden the Eagles O-line is looking like a strength. Grab S Cyprien in the 2nd and Matt Scott in 3rd. :doublethumbsup:

No love for Mante or Geno? We still badly need a nose tackle. Safety is a huge need too.

No love for Mante or Geno? We still badly need a nose tackle. Safety is a huge need too.

No thanks on Manti or Geno. I agree with Next Generation, I'd like to see them draft Matt Scott as a "project" QB. I was hoping they could land him in the 4th round or later though.

I like Crypien with their 2nd round pick if they stay put. I like John Jenkins out of a Georgia if they want a true NT. But ideally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles trade back in the 2nd round and try to pick up some extra picks. I don't love anyone at this spot and think they can get similar players later. The extra picks might also give them the ability to take a chance on someone like the Honey Badger in the 3rd round.

I would not be so eager to get a QB project this year when next year's draft promises to be so much better.

Use the first year with a new highly sought coach to rebuild and stockpile the less glamorous but essential spots on the team and build depth. Then next year take your shot on a QB prospect. I like what the Eagles have done in free agency so far, overhauled the secondary and dumped the expensive underperforming vets :thumbsup: . Just need to build up the defense which you can do quickly if you focus your draft on that side of the ball.

It's not like Reid totally mismanaged the team from a talent standpoint. Your team has several talented players at key positions. I like what the Eagles are doing and would not be suprised if they had a dramatic turn around in the next couple years. You just have to watch out for the GM/coach trying to save his job like what Jeff Ireland is doing to the Dolphins and Hue Jackson did to the Raiders. My impression is you have a good owner and he learned from the Reid/GM fiasco and won't let it happen again.

1. Lane Johnson. I will give this pick a B. they needed a tackle but I'm wary if taking the 3rd best player at his position at 4 overall. That said he's a terrific schematic fit and I believe the Eagles when they say they had him ranked roughly even with the two OTs who went earlier.

2. Zack Ertz. Another very good fit and a good value too. The Eagles Lack a big WR so a 6'5 TE with great hands fills a need. I think this was a true BPA pick so I'm rounding it up to a B+.

3. Bennie Logan. The only pick I really don't like. A reach at that spot. Too small to play NT. Better DTs on the board. Rounding it up to a C+ because his intangibles and leadership are off the charts.

Overall a solid B so far. Need to address the secondary now. I won't be surprised if they take a RB or WR in the 4-5 range. I'm thinking they pass on this entire crop of QBs.

1. Lane Johnson. I will give this pick a B. they needed a tackle but I'm wary if taking the 3rd best player at his position at 4 overall. That said he's a terrific schematic fit and I believe the Eagles when they say they had him ranked roughly even with the two OTs who went earlier.

2. Zack Ertz. Another very good fit and a good value too. The Eagles Lack a big WR so a 6'5 TE with great hands fills a need. I think this was a true BPA pick so I'm rounding it up to a B+.

3. Bennie Logan. The only pick I really don't like. A reach at that spot. Too small to play NT. Better DTs on the board. Rounding it up to a C+ because his intangibles and leadership are off the charts.

Overall a solid B so far. Need to address the secondary now. I won't be surprised if they take a RB or WR in the 4-5 range. I'm thinking they pass on this entire crop of QBs.

Honestly, the more I read and saw, I think Lane Johnson could be every bit as good or better than Eric Fisher and/or Luke Joeckel. Those two have more experience, but I think Johnson has the highest upside (perennial pro bowler) and the most athleticism. He also has some experience on both sides of the line, so it gives them flexibility as long as Jason Peters is with the team.

I REALLY wanted Crypien in the 2nd round. He's the hard hitting safety this team lacks. I think he could of gave some identity to the defense. But once he was gone, Ertz was a solid value pick. I always think taking TE's early is a bit of a luxury. But I guess these days everyone is looking for those Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham types, so you have to move on TE a little earlier in the draft.

I will say I think Chip Kelly was a little overzealous to grab guys he's played against (Ertz, Logan, Barkley, Kruger, Poyer). Bennie Logan did seem like a bit of a reach. I liked John Jenkins out of Georgia as a TRUE NT. But from what I've read about Logan, it seems like with another year at LSU, this guy may have been a first round pick next year. So if he develops like some think, he could be a nice pick.

I'm a little torn on Matt Barkley. Obviously he was tremendous value in the 4th round. But I just don't think he fits what Chip Kelly wants to do. I also wasn't very impressed with how he dealt with turmoil this past season at USC. To go from top 10 guy to a 4th round pick is pretty telling.

They did then finally add some depth at cornerback and safety later in the draft. These were two of their biggest needs and I wouldn't say they really filled them adequately. But they had a lot of needs and you can't fill them all in one draft.

Overall, I'll give them around a B or B+ for this draft. They deserve an A for grabbing value but a B or B- in terms of filling their needs in my opinion.

Stew nice thoughts.

My least favorite pick was Bennie Logan - there were need players on the board and he wasn't the BPA either.

I also have mixed feelings on Barkley but 4.1 was value and even if he fills no needs, it's a 4th round pick. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - it won't surprise me if Foles or even Vick are traded before the season. We will likely be drafting a QB next year at any rate.

I live the Lane pick and really like Ertz in the second - he will be a much better TE than Celek when he takes over, as soon as next year.

Wolff ... meh. Best case is he develops into a Quinton Mikell type. Worst case he's depth. He would've gone higher if not for a poor 40 time at the combine.

Best value was Poyer. I think he makes the team and contributes a lot as a dime. Fantastic value in the 7th.

Overall I'd say its a solid B.

Lane Johnson: A-

Zach Ertz: B

Bennie Logan: B-

Matt Barkley: B+

Earl Wolff: C+

Joe Kruger: B-

Jordan Poyer: B+

David King: C

Lane Johnson will be a STUD. Everything about his history suggests he will continue to get better and he is, truly, a perfect fit. Ertz will be the #1 TE rather quickly here as Celek gets put out to pasture. Logan will be a piece. Barkley will be the starter at some point. Smart kid with quick decision-making ability, short/intermediate accuracy and who excels at throwing on the run. Everything I've seen/heard about him said he needed to go to a couch who knows how to use him. Sounds like a fit to me (in Chip we trust). Wolff can play as well Poyer (who, by all accounts was a steal where they got him). Solid, not spectacular draft by the Eagles. No reaches, which was HUGE for them; they got value at every pick, except maybe the Johnson pick (nothing you could do there). And, no big trades which was actually refreshing for a change.

If the Beagles can't beat my Cowboys with all the stupid pieces and draft picks Clown Face had - then they really do suck.

Signed Felix Jones to a one-year deal. I doubt he will have much fantasy impact but he could contribute as a returner and you could do a lot worse than McCoy, Bryce and Felix in the backfield. I like it.

Cut McNutt which means zero. The receiving corps still lacks that big possession receiver / red zone threat but they are stacked at TE.

I expect the D will still suck hard but I didn't think that was fixable in a year anyway. Not sure what kind of year we are in for. If I had to guess I'd say a very interesting 6-7 win team. :dunno:

Well, another offseason. This year the team actually has fewer apparent holes than last year. On O all I can really think to improve is at WR, depending on what they do with Maclin and Riley.

A pass rushing 3-4 DE / OLB is a huge need. The safety play was pretty awful too. I think both these needs get addressed in the draft.

It looks like Henery may get replaced as kicker.

I don't think the Eagles should spend a lot in free agency, but I would absolutely look into Ginn or Jacoby Jones as a pure return man. They need to get a lot more out of that phase of the game.

:dunno:

1) Edge rusher/ 3-4 DE

2) Safety (ies)

Those are the two big ones.

-After that they could used depth at cornerback. They could use a true NT. Bennie Logan seems to have more value as a versatile DL.

-WR will depend on Maclin/Cooper as you said. Tackle depth to replace Jason Peters at some point/fill in if there is an injury.

-Veteran backup QB. Obviously Henery needs to go I think.

1) Edge rusher/ 3-4 DE

2) Safety (ies)

Those are the two big ones.

-After that they could used depth at cornerback. They could use a true NT. Bennie Logan seems to have more value as a versatile DL.

-WR will depend on Maclin/Cooper as you said. Tackle depth to replace Jason Peters at some point/fill in if there is an injury.

-Veteran backup QB. Obviously Henery needs to go I think.

We are totally agreed on S and a pass rusher as priorities 1-2.

I'd like a true NT although Bennie Logan played a whole lot better than expected.

I suspect Riley Cooper will be back but I'm not sure about Maclin. Personally I think he's a little overrated and unless they're getting a real deal I'd rather draft a big receiver to complement DJax on te other side of the field.

I've got a feeling Vick comes back at a reduced rate as a backup and I'm fine with that. At his age and with his injury history his only chance of playing is as a bridge starter on a crap franchise.

I would like either Maclin OR Cooper to re-sign. I think Cooper is gone though. He's going to get some decent money thrown his way by a team like the Raiders. Maclin would be smart to re-sign with us...coming off major injury..don't think he's THAT attractive in market.

We need a safety, but I think the draft would be better than Byrd or Ward. Both will command top dollar.

Kicker...Henery is pretty accurate for the most part, but those pointing to the cold and his short kickoffs clearly didn't watch the game against Minnesota. He CANT kick the ball out of the end zone. That's a problem. We have to bring in competition, and I'd expect it.

We need to keep Donnie Jones. He is a big reason we won 7 of the last 8 regular season games. So much better than Sav or the last moron we had (McBriar?)

I think Maclin will be back just because I think he will have to accept a 1-2 year deal max. There isn't going to be a huge market for a guy coming off his 2nd ACL tear. If he's healthy I'd MUCH rather him than Riley Cooper. I'm still not a Cooper fan. He has size, but the guy still creates almost zero seperation. A healthy Maclin has put up 3 seasons better than Cooper's CAREER year.

Bennie Logan absolutely filled in nicely at NT. I just think he is a little undersized and is better as a gap rusher/versatile defensive lineman. I think they need a true run stuffing NT, and let Logan be a very good rotational player all along the DL.

As for Vick, I'd be happy if he is back. He knows the system and would be able to keep things rolling should Foles go down. I just have a feeling someone will pay him/bring him in to start somewhere. Ultimately I think Vick still thinks he's a starting QB in this league.

I hope Donnie Jones is back. But he may want a lot more money.

I think they definitely need to bring in competition to Henery. Henery is very accurate inside 40 yards. But he has no leg. They don't even attempt 50+ yard kicks with him. This is why his accuracy numbers look so good. He's only 2 for 5 in his career at 50 yards are longer. Only five 50 yard attempts in 3 seasons. This past year he was only 7 for 10 from 40-49 yards. As you stated, he also rarely ever produces touchbacks on kickoffs.

I think Maclin will be back just because I think he will have to accept a 1-2 year deal max. There isn't going to be a huge market for a guy coming off his 2nd ACL tear. If he's healthy I'd MUCH rather him than Riley Cooper. I'm still not a Cooper fan. He has size, but the guy still creates almost zero seperation. A healthy Maclin has put up 3 seasons better than Cooper's CAREER year.

Bennie Logan absolutely filled in nicely at NT. I just think he is a little undersized and is better as a gap rusher/versatile defensive lineman. I think they need a true run stuffing NT, and let Logan be a very good rotational player all along the DL.

As for Vick, I'd be happy if he is back. He knows the system and would be able to keep things rolling should Foles go down. I just have a feeling someone will pay him/bring him in to start somewhere. Ultimately I think Vick still thinks he's a starting QB in this league.

I hope Donnie Jones is back. But he may want a lot more money.

I think they definitely need to bring in competition to Henery. Henery is very accurate inside 40 yards. But he has no leg. They don't even attempt 50+ yard kicks with him. This is why his accuracy numbers look so good. He's only 2 for 5 in his career at 50 yards are longer. Only five 50 yard attempts in 3 seasons. This past year he was only 7 for 10 from 40-49 yards. As you stated, he also rarely ever produces touchbacks on kickoffs.

Never been a huge Maclin fan just because he has trouble staying on the field, but if healthy he's a weapon. I like Cooper's size. My biggest gripe about the receiving corps over the years has been that they're all little guys in a league where 6'4" WR have an instant mismatch, especially in the red zone.

Completely agree on Henery. Terrible % on touchbacks and, as you stated, no leg for long FG. I believe that his inability to hit from distance may have cost them the game the other night. Early on, trailing 3-0 I think, they passed on what would have been a 47-48 yd attempt to go for it on 4th down. Hated the call, and it didn't turn out well even though they converted. If you've got a guy you trust from distance, I think you attempt that kick.

Really pleased with the development of Kendrick, and aside from safety, I think the defensive backfield can be servicable. But they have to get help at safety. Current guys can't cover or tackle consistently. And despite how well he played in stretches this year, I'm not sure how long you can get away with T. Cole in coverage situations, especially as the league becomes so TE heavy.

This year has been among the most interesting in my 40+ years of following the Birds. It's funny; I'm still not sold on Kelly or Foles, but I'm a lot closer than I was 10 weeks ago. At the very least, other needs can be addressed rather than wasting a pick on a QB. I can't envision Vick returning. He's come right out and said he still believes he's a starting QB, and I think someone will pay him to at least fight for a job in camp. Philly won't present him that opportunity.

I'd rather resign Cooper and let Maclin walk just because I think Cooper comes cheaper and he offers something that's "more different" from Desean, namely size. They will need to draft another receiver regardless and I would love to pluck a return man from free agency, there are several WRs out there who are return specialists but can't play receiver at all and may come cheap for that reason.

I'd rather resign Cooper and let Maclin walk just because I think Cooper comes cheaper and he offers something that's "more different" from Desean, namely size. They will need to draft another receiver regardless and I would love to pluck a return man from free agency, there are several WRs out there who are return specialists but can't play receiver at all and may come cheap for that reason.

I don't think Maclin is going to cost THAT much. He is coming off a major injury and will still be rehabbing as he hits free agency. I think the Eagles may be able to bring him back on a one year deal (with incentives), where he knows if he stays healthy and performs well (on a very good offense), he will have the opporunity to get paid in 2015.

I definitely would like to see them find a return specialist through free agency or the draft. They have had no threat in the kick return game since Brian Mitchell (other than the occasional Westbrook or DJax punt returns).

This year has been among the most interesting in my 40+ years of following the Birds. It's funny; I'm still not sold on Kelly or Foles, but I'm a lot closer than I was 10 weeks ago. At the very least, other needs can be addressed rather than wasting a pick on a QB. I can't envision Vick returning. He's come right out and said he still believes he's a starting QB, and I think someone will pay him to at least fight for a job in camp. Philly won't present him that opportunity.

Definitely was a fun and interesting season. I would say I'm pretty sold on Chip Kelly. The guy just knows football. He adapted his offense quickly to the personnel he had (mainly Nick Foles). It was also just refreshing to listen to a coach who would answer questions and tell it how it is for the most part. Obviously he made mistakes, but I think he is someone he will learn from them and make the necessary adjustments/corrections.

As for Foles, I know you weren't a big fan. I always took the wait and see approach. I thought I saw enough from him in limited opportunities that he had a chance to turn out to be a good starting QB. The weapons and offensive line this team has certainly made him better. I don't think he will ever be a top 5 type guy. But if he's a top 10-15 guy, and the rest of the team continues to be built and developed around him, that can be good enough to be a major contender. I wouldn't say I'm completely sold on him, but I'm definitely not looking for them to add at the position any time soon (other than maybe a veteran backup assuming Vick moves on).

Eagles quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor left to Detroit. Three different QB coach in three seasons for the Eagles, and consequently, Nick Foles.

Eagles reportedly favor signing Maclin to a short term deal over bidding for Cooper. Probably the right call although I'd hoped they could do both and address the position in the draft. I'd still like to sign a return specialist in free agency.

Eagles will certainly sign a safety in free agency and may draft one high too. TJ Ward is a talk radio favorite but I think free safety is a more pressing need especially if they resign Nate Allen as expected.

I am rooting for foles since i have invested in him in both dynasty leagues. I also have cooper in both so i really hope he stays in a favorable situation.

God help me if he signs with the raiders.

Eagles will certainly sign a safety in free agency and may draft one high too. TJ Ward is a talk radio favorite but I think free safety is a more pressing need especially if they resign Nate Allen as expected.

I would be astonished if the Browns let TJ Ward hit the open market. Not that I think he's worth what he's going to want...but he's certainly not going to be easy to replace. I'm hoping the Eagles get a cheap veteran that can fill in for Wolff in the event of injury. Lots of them available this FA period. The draft needs to be the place for safety though

I would be astonished if the Browns let TJ Ward hit the open market. Not that I think he's worth what he's going to want...but he's certainly not going to be easy to replace. I'm hoping the Eagles get a cheap veteran that can fill in for Wolff in the event of injury. Lots of them available this FA period. The draft needs to be the place for safety though

I'm not ino signing Ward primarily because he's not the center fielder the team really needs but also because safety isn't a position where it's really worth investing a ton of cash.

Getting a cheap vet sounds good but I think it's going to have to be some combo of a FA signing, retaining Allen and spending at least one pick in the 1-3 range to address the position.

My concern is either signing the next Pat Chung / Ken Philips or not signing a vet and being forced to reach early when there are better players on the board.

Other than receiver this is probably the most interesting / in flux position on the team.

Multi-year deal for Cooper sounds imminent, followed by a one-year deal for Maclin. I'd still draft a receiver but this takes the pressure off spending a high pick on the position so the Eagles can focus on the D instead. All good news if its true.

Multi-year deal for Cooper sounds imminent, followed by a one-year deal for Maclin. I'd still draft a receiver but this takes the pressure off spending a high pick on the position so the Eagles can focus on the D instead. All good news if its true.

I think the pending loss of Jason Avant could hurt depth. Damaris just isn't an NFL receiver, but we can get some camp bodies to fill out a possession receiver. If Maclin can return to anywhere close to 70%+ of what he was, this offense somehow....might improve.

I honestly would not doubt if the Eagles move around in this draft. I've long been a proponent for them getting Dix or Pryor. With Peters locked up now, Kelce being a possibility for an extension, and Maclin/Cooper possibly both in the fold, this truly could be a BPA FA/Draft.

That alone drives the price down for any possible FA coming into town. You're playing for a team with a potential winning record and a realistic chance at winning it's division. You have a coach that can appeal to the demeanor and attitude of today's younger players yet still gets enough out of them. It's really no wonder why Harbaugh and Carroll have had the success they've had. The NFL has long been referred to the not for long league...and with a coaching staff and front office that can appeal to the young guys, it gives hope.

Safety. Linebacker. OL.