Sign in to follow this  
Flyfreak

D.Murray's days in Dallas appear to be numbered

Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official website does not believe the team's 2015 starting running back is on the roster right now.

In other words, Broaddus believes that DeMarco Murray will walk in free agency and Joseph Randle/Lance Dunbar won't be handed the gig. Perhaps that's because of a strong 2015 running back draft class, headed by Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley. Or maybe Jerry Jones will make a play for Texas native Adrian Peterson. Murray's 2015 landing spot is obviously one of the biggest dominoes fantasy owners should be tracking come March.

As good as Murray looked this year, the NFL has evolved so that the RB position is an afterthought, not something to spend 10 million a year on.

I'd say spend a second or third on a back, and use the first to shore up the D.

As good as Murray looked this year, the NFL has evolved so that the RB position is an afterthought, not something to spend 10 million a year on.

apparently Jones values AP over murray

Unless the raiders do it, no team is going to break the bank for Murray, unless the Dallas O line is coming with.

This.

Plus Demarco has an injury history. Is that a thing of the past? Maybe, maybe not.

Not really news - we've all suspected it all year long. Would Dallas love to have him back? Hell yes, absolutely. But the AP rumors have been here all year long too.

Jerry's has had a looming decision most of the season - keep Murray or Dez? Of the two - Dez is the bigger priority. He doesn't want to be, but the Boys may franchise him - and reports are he's okay with it now.... If Murray wants upwards of $6m a year - he's gone, and I'm okay with that too. But we will need to find somebody to replace him - do not believe Randle/Dunbar is the answer.

I think rb's need to realize that their market value has dropped and they Murray would be wise to understand that going into negotiations with jones

I think rb's need to realize that their market value has dropped and they Murray would be wise to understand that going into negotiations with jones

I agree. Then again, any man who is crazy enough to take a ball and run dead straight into a line of 300 pound men wanting to kill you - I understand their stance.... But as we all know, there's always somebody dumb enough to pay. Until recently that person has been Jerry Jones - hopefully he doesn't cave this time.

I agree. Then again, any man who is crazy enough to take a ball and run dead straight into a line of 300 pound men wanting to kill you - I understand their stance.... But as we all know, there's always somebody dumb enough to pay. Until recently that person has been Jerry Jones - hopefully he doesn't cave this time.

i think jones will pay, either for murray or ap (whoever will take less)

Cowboys have signed Ryan Williams to a 2 year deal. Wow - the game of Chicken has just begun.

Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official website does not believe the team's 2015 starting running back is on the roster right now.

In other words, Broaddus believes that DeMarco Murray will walk in free agency and Joseph Randle/Lance Dunbar won't be handed the gig. Perhaps that's because of a strong 2015 running back draft class, headed by Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley. Or maybe Jerry Jones will make a play for Texas native Adrian Peterson. Murray's 2015 landing spot is obviously one of the biggest dominoes fantasy owners should be tracking come March.

He will land somewhere .. Then that will be that .

Raiders can't afford him with all the holes they have, especially on defense. I'd rather see them sign a FA WR, and roll with Latavius.

The role of running backs today have surely changed, but that's due primarily to the way f*cktard coaches use them. I piled on the Dallas bandwagon this year because they proved there is still a place in the NFL for old school smashmouth football. I'm of the belief that good RBs need a certain amount of carries to get in the flow of a game. Riding the 'hot hand' or playing the change of pace game are just cute terms for rat-f*cking a running game.

Bell cow running backs that fit the mold, the Fosters, the Petersons, the Bells, my God they are worth their weight in gold. The only real question on Murray was his durability, and he smashed that concern with a sledgehammer. Sometimes, like in the case of AP, a RB will go through injuries early in a career then be relatively injury-free henceforth.

DeMarco Murray is a beast. With his speed, his size, his hands, his blocking... He's even improved the fumbling over the last half of the season. They are out of their minds to let him walk, and will surely return to mediocrity without an equal quality replacement.

Joseph Randle? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• Like 1

Raiders can't afford him with all the holes they have, especially on defense. I'd rather see them sign a FA WR, and roll with Latavius.

The role of running backs today have surely changed, but that's due primarily to the way f*cktard coaches use them. I piled on the Dallas bandwagon this year because they proved there is still a place in the NFL for old school smashmouth football. I'm of the belief that good RBs need a certain amount of carries to get in the flow of a game. Riding the 'hot hand' or playing the change of pace game are just cute terms for rat-f*cking a running game.

Bell cow running backs that fit the mold, the Fosters, the Petersons, the Bells, my God they are worth their weight in gold. The only real question on Murray was his durability, and he smashed that concern with a sledgehammer. Sometimes, like in the case of AP, a RB will go through injuries early in a career then be relatively injury-free henceforth.

DeMarco Murray is a beast. With his speed, his size, his hands, his blocking... He's even improved the fumbling over the last half of the season. They are out of their minds to let him walk, and will surely return to mediocrity without an equal quality replacement.

Joseph Randle? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

if they can get ap cheaper, none of that will matter

If? And what's the shelf life on Peterson, even after taking this year off? Plus a wildcard is the fact that Murray is extremely well liked by team mates.

If? And what's the shelf life on Peterson, even after taking this year off? Plus a wildcard is the fact that Murray is extremely well liked by team mates.

well jones has always had a huge boner for him, and apparently ap feels the same way, so that's who i see manning the cowboys backfield next season

Read on roto (I think?) about how the Cowboys have had a $16 million offer on the table for a while now. DeMarco is worth more and will seek more on the open market as the money Jerry has offered is close to insulting considering his performance. Ya the market is soft, so what? He's the cream of the available crop.

edit: I'd expect Murray to get about 10-15 guaranteed with a total value near 22 mil over 4 years.

I don't think the Seahawks have that title last year if not for Lynch. People used to think QBs weren't worth it until the current batch came about, and then WRs weren't worth it until guys like Jerry Rice and Randy Moss showed otherwise.

While I don't think Murray is that type of elite generation defining talent, I don't think the Cowboys with Romo are as good as they think they are now. Murray very much carried that team and was responsible for that record. Jerruh has a history of undervaluing talented RBs, he tried to rip off Emmitt Smith back in the day too, and then caved because they couldn't win games. It's not easy to find that type of talented RB that can really produce, especially the way Murray did this season.

Heck, if it was, don't you think Rex Ryan's teams would have been more successful, or a lot of other teams? Yeah if you have that elite QB isn't not as important and you can plug and chug fairly well, but Romo is not that type of QB. If you expect Romo to toss the rock 40 times a game and carry you to victories you'll end up with what the Cowboys were doing pretty much every year before this year. They NEED to take pressure off Romo, they don't have a Rodgers or Peyton or Brees or Luck. They have a souped up Alex Smith.

They are out of their minds to let him walk, and will surely return to mediocrity without an equal quality replacement.

this line of reasoning works in the absence of a salary cap, but the NFL plays in the really real world.

if murray follows the very well-established trend of high-use RBs, he will probably appear in ~10 games next season. even if he made it a full season, he's looking at ~1400 yards, at a market price of ~$8M. you can get 1200 yards out of a $570K rookie. the other $7.4M would go a long way towards improving the defense.

i swear--everyone knocked jerry for overpaying past performance. now everyone is clamoring for him to do it again--murray's situation this year is eerily similar to miles austin's breakout year, which was a lot like MBIII's breakout year. 2 seasons after jerry locked up both of those guys, everyone was saying it was stupid.

murray is good, but the strength of this team is the offensive line, which will make any back look good. i want them to keep murray, but i want an NFL-quality defense more.

do you have any idea how many FAs the cowboys have this season?

• Like 1

Which one of them, aside from Dez, is more important to that team than Murray?

Which one of them, aside from Dez, is more important to that team than Murray?

you mean which 3 of them can we keep for the cost of murray's market value?

pick 3 of the following: ro mcclain, spencer, moore, and 3 of the 6 OL starters from this season. this doesn't include other starters like durant (who was having a pro bowl year prior to his injury), carter (who led the league in INTs by LBs), and selvie. nor does it include impact package players like harris or beasley.

-the defense is already weak at DL, and stands to lose melton, spencer, selvie, hayden, brent, and others.

-the following LBs are not under contract: mcclain, carter, durant, lawrence. basically, hitchens and lee are the only guys on the team.

-the secondary looks more stable (only the nickel CB and backup S are FAs), but it's not a very good unit to begin with.

so most of the defense and 2 OL starters are going to have to be re-signed or replaced. that costs money, and the money has to come from somewhere. if you want to sign murray, fine, but that means next year's defense is probably going to be substantially worse than this year's, and the OL isn't going to be as good.

as long as you're ok with that...

you mean which 3 of them can we keep for the cost of murray's market value?

pick 3 of the following: ro mcclain, spencer, moore, and 3 of the 6 OL starters from this season. this doesn't include other starters like durant (who was having a pro bowl year prior to his injury), carter (who led the league in INTs by LBs), and selvie. nor does it include impact package players like harris or beasley.

-the defense is already weak at DL, and stands to lose melton, spencer, selvie, hayden, brent, and others.

-the following LBs are not under contract: mcclain, carter, durant, lawrence. basically, hitchens and lee are the only guys on the team.

-the secondary looks more stable (only the nickel CB and backup S are FAs), but it's not a very good unit to begin with.

so most of the defense and 2 OL starters are going to have to be re-signed or replaced. that costs money, and the money has to come from somewhere. if you want to sign murray, fine, but that means next year's defense is probably going to be substantially worse than this year's, and the OL isn't going to be as good.

as long as you're ok with that...

so what is your thought then at rb if they spend the money elsewhere? the cheap young rb route?

this line of reasoning works in the absence of a salary cap, but the NFL plays in the really real world.

if murray follows the very well-established trend of high-use RBs, he will probably appear in ~10 games next season. even if he made it a full season, he's looking at ~1400 yards, at a market price of ~$8M. you can get 1200 yards out of a $570K rookie. the other $7.4M would go a long way towards improving the defense.

i swear--everyone knocked jerry for overpaying past performance. now everyone is clamoring for him to do it again--murray's situation this year is eerily similar to miles austin's breakout year, which was a lot like MBIII's breakout year. 2 seasons after jerry locked up both of those guys, everyone was saying it was stupid.

murray is good, but the strength of this team is the offensive line, which will make any back look good. i want them to keep murray, but i want an NFL-quality defense more.

:thumbsup:

Keep that offensive line intact and the running game will be fine. Probably not as good as it was with murray this year but murray himself is unlikely to duplicate that production

ralphster, on 13 Jan 2015 - 9:16 PM, said:

edit: I'd expect Murray to get about 10-15 guaranteed with a total value near 22 mil over 4 years.

This would be a very doable and great deal for Dallas - I'd love to see Murray take it. But I also wouldn't blame him for trying to get more from somebody else. If he gets it - good for him, but I'd be pissed if Jerry paid $10m a year for a rb.

I don't think the Seahawks have that title last year if not for Lynch. People used to think QBs weren't worth it until the current batch came about, and then WRs weren't worth it until guys like Jerry Rice and Randy Moss showed otherwise.

While I don't think Murray is that type of elite generation defining talent, I don't think the Cowboys with Romo are as good as they think they are now. Murray very much carried that team and was responsible for that record. Jerruh has a history of undervaluing talented RBs, he tried to rip off Emmitt Smith back in the day too, and then caved because they couldn't win games. It's not easy to find that type of talented RB that can really produce, especially the way Murray did this season.

Heck, if it was, don't you think Rex Ryan's teams would have been more successful, or a lot of other teams? Yeah if you have that elite QB isn't not as important and you can plug and chug fairly well, but Romo is not that type of QB. If you expect Romo to toss the rock 40 times a game and carry you to victories you'll end up with what the Cowboys were doing pretty much every year before this year. They NEED to take pressure off Romo, they don't have a Rodgers or Peyton or Brees or Luck. They have a souped up Alex Smith.

So because Romo isn't one of the 5 best QBs in the league, he's a game manager? :wacko:

Romo is the best QB in his division....he's better than the Ryans and Staffords and Newtons in the league. He belongs in a group with Rivers, Roethlisberger, etc. older guys who can still get the ball downfield and win you a game or two if you need him to.

I'm not sure of Lynch's contract but he was a luxury Seattle could afford. Especially with Wilson being one of, if not the lowest paid QB in the league. Dallas has too many holes to fill to sink a lot of cash into the RB position. If they do what most teams have done recently and draft a good college back in the 2nd or 3rd....with their O-line and other skill players, they'll be better off than most teams in the league.....at least on offense.

I'm not sure of Lynch's contract but he was a luxury Seattle could afford. Especially with Wilson being one of, if not the lowest paid QB in the league. Dallas has too many holes to fill to sink a lot of cash into the RB position. If they do what most teams have done recently and draft a good college back in the 2nd or 3rd....with their O-line and other skill players, they'll be better off than most teams in the league.....at least on offense.

here's hoping jones ignores this coherent game plan

I think Murray has a specific value to a specific team. I think the right location for a guy like Murray is on a team with a middling QB, but a decent defense; one where holding the ball and grinding is the key to success, keeping the defense fresh and hoping to win out tight games.

here's hoping jones ignores this coherent game plan

Jerry not resigning D. Ware to a huge ass extension is the best reason to believe he will stay the course and not over-pay for Murray. It was the 1st time Jerry ever showed some common sense and restraint in not throwing ridiculous money after a player just bcoz he "liked" him. It's a pattern that I think will continue to grow - thus the reason I believe Murray will be gone unless he takes what Dallas offers.

Jerry not resigning D. Ware to a huge ass extension is the best reason to believe he will stay the course and not over-pay for Murray. It was the 1st time Jerry ever showed some common sense and restraint in not throwing ridiculous money after a player just bcoz he "liked" him. It's a pattern that I think will continue to grow - thus the reason I believe Murray will be gone unless he takes what Dallas offers.

i still think jerry has a huge hard on for ap, and won't be able to resist signing him

i still think jerry has a huge hard on for ap, and won't be able to resist signing him

Oh I don't think he does - I know he does, that's pretty well documented around here. But Jerry passed on Ware and he passed on Manziel - 2 things the Jerry of old would have never of done. The reason he and the Cowboys are sitting at home this weekend and not going to Seattle is bcoz of the defense, not running back.

This offseason you: sign Dez, draft defensive heavy, maybe take a qb late middle rounds if he has potential, find a body to replace Murray if/when he leaves.

Oh I don't think he does - I know he does, that's pretty well documented around here. But Jerry passed on Ware and he passed on Manziel - 2 things the Jerry of old would have never of done. The reason he and the Cowboys are sitting at home this weekend and not going to Seattle is bcoz of the defense, not running back.

This offseason you: sign Dez, draft defensive heavy, maybe take a qb late middle rounds if he has potential, find a body to replace Murray if/when he leaves.

i can't see him passing on ap

i can't see him passing on ap

If AP would be willing to sign something around $5-6m a year - sure why not. But if AP wants $10m - forget it, can't have $20m+ a year tied up into just Dez and a rb.

If AP would be willing to sign something around $5-6m a year - sure why not. But if AP wants $10m - forget it, can't have $20m+ a year tied up into just Dez and a rb.

not sure about 5-6, but ap would probably take 8-9 to play for his favorite team

not sure about 5-6, but ap would probably take 8-9 to play for his favorite team

$8-9m just isn't an option.... Dallas is going to be in a good news/bad news type situation with the cap. The good news is they will have about $38m of money to spend - maybe as much as $48m if they heavily restructure a few deals. The bad news is that this team has a ton of FA's to address. If you even bring back the core of them, plus sign Dez - you are left with enough to sign a rb to about $5m a year and still have some play room for draft picks, injuries, etc.

$8-9m just isn't an option.... Dallas is going to be in a good news/bad news type situation with the cap. The good news is they will have about $38m of money to spend - maybe as much as $48m if they heavily restructure a few deals. The bad news is that this team has a ton of FA's to address. If you even bring back the core of them, plus sign Dez - you are left with enough to sign a rb to about $5m a year and still have some play room for draft picks, injuries, etc.

yes, but this is where we'll be able to test your new and improved jerry jones theory

yes, but this is where we'll be able to test your new and improved jerry jones theory

I think D. Ware and J. Manziel are proof already.

so what is your thought then at rb if they spend the money elsewhere? the cheap young rb route?

yep--you can't have everything, so you have to economize at certain position groups. IMO RB is one of those. they like both randle and dunbar, and they liked williams' potential enough to protect him. the three of them together are ~$1.6M, which is about what murray made this season. add a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, and you're looking at a decent but unspectacular RBBC that should be able to put up 1700-1800 yards on the ground. and this allows the latitude to re-sign leary along with either free or parnell (or both).

i think this is the right way to go--the OL is more important to this team than murray.

yep--you can't have everything, so you have to economize at certain position groups. IMO RB is one of those. they like both randle and dunbar, and they liked williams' potential enough to protect him. the three of them together are ~$1.6M, which is about what murray made this season. add a 3rd or 4th round draft pick, and you're looking at a decent but unspectacular RBBC that should be able to put up 1700-1800 yards on the ground. and this allows the latitude to re-sign leary along with either free or parnell (or both).

i think this is the right way to go--the OL is more important to this team than murray.

i don't think randle/dunbar is the answer, they're gonna bring in some fresh meat

i'm not convinced

then you haven't been following the team dynamics over the last 4 years. again, garrett gutted the roster--only 6 guys remain from the team he inherited from phillips. they went from one of the oldest rosters in the league to one of the youngest. the big-ticket FA signings have gone away, replaced with strategic additions with inexpensive price tags. and every personnel decision is based on whether or not a guy contributes to the blue-collar culture of hard work and focusing on the process of getting better every day.

on offense, the personnel focus has gone from glitzy superstars to big bodies in the trenches. but what's really interesting is the defense. instead of requiring top-end DE talent, marinelli's scheme revolves around the 3-technique, at a substantially lower salary number. it also emphasizes safety play over pure cover corners--again, at a considerable discount.

all of this shows that JJ is doing business in a fundamentally different way. he has fully bought into garrett's approach, which also has the total support of stephen and mcclay. in short, this team finally has an identity, and it is the result of garrett's vision and jerry's evolution as an owner.

he still has his issues, but the times, they are a-changin'.