Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Do you factor in 'character issues' when assembling your roster?

Earlier today, I came across a dated (August 28, 2013 - so some of you may be familiar with it) write-up about Aaron Hernandez's background on RollingStone. It's a lengthy, informative piece with intriguing bits such as:

...Hernandez left home in January 2007, taking early graduation to enroll at Florida and be eligible for spring football. But he was miserable and overmatched his first year there and told friends on the phone he wanted to quit. [urban] Meyer brought him in for face-to-face meetings, reading Scripture in his office each morning. He assigned Mike and Maurkice Pouncey, twin All-American linemen, to baby-sit Hernandez, and detailed Tim Tebow, the truest of believers, to be his life instructor...

(for a great read, please see 'The Gangster in the Huddle'): http://www.rollingstone.com/feature/the-gangster-in-the-huddle

So anyway...when I had drafted Hernandez, I was entirely (blissfully?) unaware of his off-field history. Seems hard to believe in hindsight - but had I known then what a freaking thug he was/is, he never would've made it near my team.

Does personal distaste ever trump football acumen for you when you're choosing your team?

Not that I can remember consciously doing, although it's possible that I've subconsciously downgraded some players because I wasn't a fan of their character. I can't remember actually doing that though.

I will consider the impact of their off-field issues and potential impact on their play or availability to play. For AP for instance, if I think the case is closed on his child abuse case, I'd have no problem drafting him. Winston I'll probably avoid because I think he is an immature headcase with a lot of red flags based on his off-field behavior which could impact either his ability to lead a team or his ability to play.

• Like 1

I usually follow each potential pick around to see if they have some skeletons in the closet. Hernandez was on my do-not-draft list after seeing him at a party with underage girls. Justin Blackmon had some serious drug and alcohol problems. I won't draft Peyton Manning after seeing him frequent ghey bath houses.

Adrian Peterson had me fooled, though. :dunno:

Only if I think he's a suspension risk (think Josh Gordon).

Beyond that, I don't care if he jerks off to videos of 9/11 as long as he puts up points.

Yes I do . When saw Ray Rice punch his then g/f in the face he goes on the list . Yes it could cost me a win in fantasy football , but I rather lose without those players than win with them . Like Peterson yea anyone that beats up a small child like he did and gets reward like playing football yea he is on my list . Does not matter to them I know but it counts to me . Thanks for the question .

• Like 1

Yes I do . When saw Ray Rice punch his then g/f in the face he goes on the list . Yes it could cost me a win in fantasy football , but I rather lose without those players than win with them . Like Peterson yea anyone that beats up a small child like he did and gets reward like playing football yea he is on my list . Does not matter to them I know but it counts to me . Thanks for the question .

That's the thing, for me. I need to be able to root for my players and cheer them on to success (mine and theirs) - which I cannot do if I flat-out dislike them. Maybe it's sappy, but personally I have a helluva lot more fun* when my roster consists of guys who I really like and enjoy watching.

*also wins, perhaps unsurprisingly.

If I factored in character issues for a fantasy draft there wouldn't be anyone left to draft. The NFL is chock full of punks with with questionable character issues. Some get caught, some don't. I'd be willing to bet that 50% of NFL players have no problem with RR's or AP's actions. They didn't even care about what Mike Vick did for pete's sake.

We, as NFL fans, root for a lot of punks we'd otherwise want nothing to do with in real life. Of course, there are exceptions.

To some extent, but "CHARACTER ISSUES" can be a factor in different ways

1. there is the criminal/addict/cheater issues that could result in NFL suspension

2. there is other off field issues.

3. There is general issue of whether or not I like them as a fan.

4. there is if they are viewed as a poison in the locker room.

5. other.

Performance and type of scoring (binge/purge) not factored in.

Yes - If I am looking a two players I want equally.

Yes - If I am already taking chances elsewhere

Yes - depending upon the round and depth chart. At some point shouldn't be an issue.

If I factored in character issues for a fantasy draft there wouldn't be anyone left to draft. The NFL is chock full of punks with with questionable character issues. Some get caught, some don't. I'd be willing to bet that 50% of NFL players have no problem with RR's or AP's actions. They didn't even care about what Mike Vick did for pete's sake.We, as NFL fans, root for a lot of punks we'd otherwise want nothing to do with in real life. Of course, there are exceptions.

Quite frankly one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read.

My goal is to win money by scoring the most points I can. I look at it objectively and try to figure out how to best assemble my team. Player behavior only interests me if it could potentially impact my team. This means a different approach to redraft/dynasty because of the increased risk of a player with behavioral problems.

I am not employing any of these players. I am not enabling or justifying their actions in any way. This is a game about scoring points. I personally wouldn't feel remotely bad about having Ray Rice playing on my team if I thought he would score me more points than someone else. As an NFL owner, I would factor it in. As a FF player, I don't.

• Like 1

That's the thing, for me. I need to be able to root for my players and cheer them on to success (mine and theirs) - which I cannot do if I flat-out dislike them. Maybe it's sappy, but personally I have a helluva lot more fun* when my roster consists of guys who I really like and enjoy watching.

*also wins, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Same here. Thats why i'm probably the only guy left thats still on the Ryan Matthews train.

Quite frankly one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read.

Thanks for that...you haven't exactly been "Mr. Pearls of Wisdom" yourself since joining. Keep it up.

• Like 1

Thanks for that...you haven't exactly been "Mr. Pearls of Wisdom" yourself since joining. Keep it up.

You want to defend that steaming pile of garbage you posted? Be my guest, because it doesn't even come down to opinion. You're just wrong. It's not even debateable. You're wrong.the vast majority of NFL players are good honest hardworking guys who probably do a hell of a lot more for their families and community than you or I do, but you don't hear about that because it doesn't get ratings. For every Ray Rice there are one hundred guys doing things the right way.

You want to defend that steaming pile of garbage you posted? Be my guest, because it doesn't even come down to opinion. You're just wrong. It's not even debateable. You're wrong.the vast majority of NFL players are good honest hardworking guys who probably do a hell of a lot more for their families and community than you or I do, but you don't hear about that because it doesn't get ratings. For every Ray Rice there are one hundred guys doing things the right way.

Oh my soul , this is a great post . If you don't like it don't respond . Mr Prideful

You want to defend that steaming pile of garbage you posted?

Pot calling Kettle.

The next time you feel the urge to denigrate another poster, please start your own thread for that purpose.

Thank you.

Pot calling Kettle.

The next time you feel the urge to denigrate another poster, please start your own thread for that purpose.

Thank you.

Whatever. You want to defend what he posted? What I posted has everything to do with your thread. Oh, and for the record, I didn't denigrate the poster, I denigrated the trash he posted which was catagorically false.

You want to defend that steaming pile of garbage you posted?

The first sentence of my post was obviously a bit rhetorical and said in jest. You failed to pick up on that and took it as literal. Oh well.

The rest of my post is my opinion and I stand by that. This is a FF message board.....take a deep breath.

For every Ray Rice there are one hundred guys doing things the right way.

Is this your opinion or a fact?

the vast majority of NFL players are good honest hardworking guys who probably do a hell of a lot more for their families and community than you or I do

Don't sell yourself short.

It all depends on what the issue is. I'm not going to reach for a player with character issues, but if they drop I'm willing to take a chance on them. I remember my very first fantasy draft I took a rookie named Randy Moss in the last round and the rest is history.

mr krum you do indeed come off as condescending in a lot of your posts. perhaps most of your posts. just saying. it's the internet after all. disagreements and debate are to be expected - especially at sites such as these.

@ Marshall: character is a funny thing for me because I don't think it wise to judge others on what could be the worst day of their lives. we've all done some hsitty things in life and I believe in the power of redemption through rehabilitation. then much as Super Cubs above stated, it's a question of risk v reward. I think Mike Wallace is a diva punk and I won't have him on my team. Until the 9th round ;)

Another opinion by someone not involved in the discussion. Sorry if you would prefer me to sit idly by and fiddle while Rome burns. As you said disagreement and debate are to be expected and I'm not gonna sit on my hands when someone tries to imply the NFL is full of nothing but punks and thugs. If that comes off as condescending, so be it.

Another opinion by someone not involved in the discussion. Sorry if you would prefer me to sit idly by and fiddle while Rome burns. As you said disagreement and debate are to be expected and I'm not gonna sit on my hands when someone tries to imply the NFL is full of nothing but punks and thugs. If that comes off as condescending, so be it.

Good for you , for standing up for the integrity of the NFL and its punks and thugs .

It's kind of ironic that the discussion in this thread has veered away from possible players' issues to focus on probable posters' issues, instead.

I am bemused. :)

It's kind of ironic that the discussion in this thread has veered away from possible players' issues to focus on probable posters' issues, instead.

I am bemused. :)

I'm sure it doesn't take much. :)

cool story bro, more completely unnecessary internet outrage over someone else's misinterpreted internet joke. Revert back to your default posts on people lacking intelligence to complete the circle.

Outrage? Don't flatter yourself. How is it a misinterpreted internet joke when he posts that he stands by everything he said? What's funny is I made my point, he made his and it had been let go by both if us until the rest of you forum police decided to throw your two cents in.

This thread reeks of the ghey

:overhead:

In his defense, your post was pretty ridiculous.

• Like 2

I think given Godells overreach of power lately, this is going to be one of the legs up on competition in the fantasy community. Players that are deemed as character issues, say like Vontaze Burfict, could see a slide in ADP. If you hit on them, you can potentially get immense value...though I still tend to believe its more impactful for dynasty.

In regards to redraft, I'm avoiding anyone that faces banishment. Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, Greg Hardy (IDP), Adrian Peterson...none of them are worth it to me because they could be out of the league a week after you draft them.

Then the next tier of guys like even Le'Veon Bell. Most of us would say he's a consensus 1st rounder. But if he gets popped for any other substance abuse between now and the fantasy playoffs.......