17 replies to this topic

#1 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:29 PM

Starts tomorrow 10:00 am EST

Magnus Carlsen (Norway) is the LeBron James of chess. He’s a dominant force, unquestionably the best in the world, and has been number one for a sustained period of time. He’s chasing GOAT status, and his presence is so imposing that opponents often beat themselves before he needs to.

Fabiano Caruana (USA) is coming for the crown. In 2018 Caruana has established himself as clearly the biggest threat to Carlsen’s dominance, winning the Candidates Tournament by a full point to qualify for the World Championship match and generally operating at a level of sustained brilliance that makes him a serious threat for the title.

Carlsen-Caruana is the matchup the chess world was hoping for. It’s No. 1 versus No. 2 and the first World Championship match between the top two since Kasparov and Karpov in 1990.  Caruana only sits three Elo rating points behind Carlsen at 2832 to 2835. If Caruana wins the match within the 12 classical games, he’ll not only take the title but also the world No. 1 spot that Carlsen has held continuously since July 2011—about which Magnus has said “I would like to give you some boring, politically correct answer, but the truth is yeah, it does bother me!”

The match will consist of 12 classical games, following a rest day pattern throughout. The World Championship returns to London with the games being played at The College in Holborn.

https://deadspin.com...orld-1830208841

Caruana is only the second American in history to play for a World Championship since... Bobby Fischer in 1972. 

#2 dain11279

dain11279

FF Geek

• Members
  • 12,379 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:12 AM

Bobby Fischer was batsh1t crazy, I might get into chess (not really) if the best player in the world acted like him.

This thread is gayer than my dad.

#3 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

Day 1 is in the books!  Caruana had white pieces and opened with 1. e4.  Magnus responded with the Sicilian Defense playing ...c5 and ultimately castled Queen-side, while Caruana castled King-side.

Despite playing with white Caruana never had any advantage and after a few early inaccuracies, Magnus slowly built a huge advantage.  Eventually Caruana got into time trouble and Magnus reached a near crushing position.  And then... he missed a few winning moves. That allowed Caruana to weasel out of defeat and secure the Draw. The game lasted 7 hours with 115 moves.

“I was outplayed after the opening", Caruana said. “It was a complicated position. Magnus started to outplay me. I think I was clearly losing, for a long time I was losing. This was not the most pleasant experience to defend this extremely long game with white. I think I was quite fortunate to end up with a draw.”

“It started very well, I was better on time and had a better position” said Carlsen. “I couldn’t quite find the knockout before the time trouble. I played a bit too cautiously I think. Suddenly he got a chance to break loose. Then it was quite drawish.”

Day 2 begins tomorrow with Magnus as white. Beginning to look like the odds makers were right - Magnus is gonna destroy American Chess dreams. :angry:

#4 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

Day 2 is in the books! Magnus opened with 1. d4. Caruana responded with the Indian Defense playing ...Nf6.  The game was fairly steady early on until Caruana played a novelty, which apparently surprised Magnus and eventually led to a slight lead for Caruana.  But it wasn't enough to secure the win and the game ended in a Draw after 49 moves.

“This was not very good,” Carlsen said.  “I was surprised in the opening. I thought I had chances to a small advantages. I mis-calcuated something. Then I had to beg for a draw, but that went without problems.” 

He added “I am not happy about this, but it’s better than losing.  He played a completely new move that actually doesn’t look natural to me. I have to look at it later. We’ll see if it was a surprise in this game or if he found something new.”

There will be a day of rest tomorrow and the match resumes Monday morning.

#5 kutulu

kutulu

FF Geek

• Members
  • 56,688 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

Rest?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human faceforever.

#6 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:22 PM

Game 3 is in the books!  Caruana playing white opened with 1. e4. And just like in Game 1, Magnus responded with the Sicilian Defense playing ...Nc5. 

Caruana managed to get a small advantage from the opening, but played an inaccuracy on move 17 and was forced to defend the remainder of the game, which ultimately ended in a Draw after 49 moves.

In the post game interview Carlsen was asked about being uncomfortable in the opening: “I miscalculated the position. I thought what I entered was very close to equalizing. Then I realized I was clearly worse.”

“From the start, I thought it was a bit uncomfortable. I just tried to limit his advantage as much as possible. When we reached the endgame, I thought I had equalized. I didn’t really play for a win. It was only when I forced his pawn on a black square and established it there, I thought I would be able to press him.”

Game 4 starts tomorrow morning.

#7 BufordT

BufordT

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:54 PM

Is this the championship round?  You know, all the marbles?  Or is this like a semi final or something?

#8 frank

frank

FF Geek

• Members
  • 16,415 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:00 PM

You know, all the marbles? 

Wrong game.

Another Dumb fvcking post by frank. :wave:

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

OOTMFFOTB

#9 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

Is this the championship round?  You know, all the marbles?  Or is this like a semi final or something?

It's the World Championship.... winner take all.

The match is held every two years. Magnus won the Championship in 2013 over former champion Vishy Anand and has successfully defended his title twice (in 2014 against Vishy Anand (India) and in 2016 against Sergey Karjakin (Russia).

To play in the Championship game the challenger has to qualify by winning the "Candidates" tournament which is held a few months prior to the title game. Caruana is only the second American in history to win the Candidates and play for a World Title, the first being Bobby Fischer.

#10 BufordT

BufordT

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

It's the World Championship.... winner take all.

The match is held every two years. Magnus won the Championship in 2013 over former champion Vishy Anand and has successfully defended his title twice (in 2014 against Vishy Anand (India) and in 2016 against Sergey Karjakin (Russia).

To play in the Championship game the challenger has to qualify by winning the "Candidates" tournament which is held a few months prior to the title game. Caruana is only the second American in history to win the Candidates and play for a World Title, the first being Bobby Fischer.

Ok thanks. Good thread then.  Loved the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer....is this "movie/documentary" worthy if Caruana wins?

#11 fandandy

fandandy

FF Geek

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:14 PM

I don't know how I missed this thread.  It's been two years already since you last did this?  If so, wow, time flies.  Would be awesome if Caruana wins.  How many times do they need to win, just once?

#12 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:20 PM

Ok thanks. Good thread then.  Loved the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer....is this "movie/documentary" worthy if Caruana wins?

I hated the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer.  The "good" kid offered his opponent a draw in the big game just to be nice.?. Ridiculous. The "mean" kid refuses and goes on to lose with the final move being obvious to even a novice chess player.

I don't think Caruana's story would make much of a movie. He's good, but there's not much else to say about him. He's too normal and nice.

Best chess movie.... "Pawn Sacrifice"  starring Toby McGuire as Bobby Fischer.

#13 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:21 PM

I don't know how I missed this thread.  It's been two years already since you last did this?  If so, wow, time flies.  Would be awesome if Caruana wins.  How many times do they need to win, just once?

Best of 12 games.  If they're tied after that, the games switch to a "Rapid" format with only 15 minutes on the clock.  That's how the 2016 match ended with Magnus (the king of rapid chess) destroying Karjakin.

#14 fandandy

fandandy

FF Geek

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:24 PM

Best of 12 games.  If they're tied after that, the games switch to a "Rapid" format with only 15 minutes on the clock.  That's how the 2016 match ended with Magnus (the king of rapid chess) destroying Karjakin.

Ah, ok.  And the draws count, correct?  They could draw twelve times then go to rapid chess?

#15 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:26 PM

Ah, ok.  And the draws count, correct?  They could draw twelve times then go to rapid chess?

Right.  Draws count as 1/2 point, so if they draw all 12 games (unlikely), the score would be 6-6.

#16 BufordT

BufordT

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

I hated the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer.

I get it.  But the "THERE IT IS" line by Sam L Jax is one the best/memorable lines in cinema history.  I love that line andI use it whenever I can.

#17 Drizzay

Drizzay

FF Geek

• Members
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:34 PM

Like Wesley said, always bet on black.
Tell your story walkin'!

Rev 5:5

#18 GobbleDog

GobbleDog

FF Geek

• Members
  • 27,610 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:07 PM

Game 4 is in the books!  Magnus started with a somewhat rare move at the top level playing the English Opening with 1. c4.  Caruana responded playing the King's English Variation with ... e5.

Neither player managed to gain any significant advantage and the game ended in a Draw after just 34 moves.

“It was a bit disappointing,” Magnus Carlsen said. “I thought I was better after the opening. ... I have to start winning games soon. He seems to have out-prepared me with the black pieces so far, so I’ll have to try harder next time.”

The players will have a day of rest tomorrow with the match resuming Thursday. After 4 straight draws, the match is tied 2-2.