Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

How old are your kids?

Hereditary?

I kid :cheers:

Proally... He took my stubborness and mother's squirrel personality to an extreme. :thumbsup:

I have no idea how I am going to put my kids through college...

Weve been saving for it, but its overwhelming looking at putting 2 thru at the same time. (1 year apart).

Theyll each get a $5K per year scholarship from the local school system. That might cover 1/8 of their room and board for a decent state school.

If their grades are good enough, they might get another $3-5K in various local scholarships. Lions Club, Rotary, stuff like that.

Theyll have to do some work/study and get summer jobs, then well have to come up with the rest.

Weve been saving for it, but its overwhelming looking at putting 2 thru at the same time. (1 year apart).

Theyll each get a $5K per year scholarship from the local school system. That might cover 1/8 of their room and board for a decent state school.

If their grades are good enough, they might get another $3-5K in various local scholarships. Lions Club, Rotary, stuff like that.

Theyll have to do some work/study and get summer jobs, then well have to come up with the rest.

Why not student loans?

Why not student loans?

Got any decent links? I have been looking around, albeit now as crazy as one should, but anything links would help...

TIA

Why not student loans?

It could be a part of it, but Im not crazy about them taking on a massive debt load before they even start making a living.

Got any decent links? I have been looking around, albeit now as crazy as one should, but anything links would help...

TIA

I don't. I've been out of college for almost 15 years. I believe I received the paperwork directly from the college.

It could be a part of it, but Im not crazy about them taking on a massive debt load before they even start making a living.

If you can do it, that's awesome. I worked through college and still accumulated a decent amount of student loans. My kids won't have to work or pay for college, but I will have some standards set for them. If they don't meet them, they can pay their own way or quit and find a job.

Its gone by in a blur, but when I look at pictures from when they were little, it seems like ages ago.

this is the common theme with parenting... how quickly it goes by - and I do appreciate that those of you with older kids always make a point to mention that.

mine are still in grade school and I do everything I can to savor it, enjoy it, capture it... and never miss anything - dance recitals, hockey,baseball, school plays, etc.

family life is insane, you need money and for most of us that means work/career, but you also need time to spend with the family you're working so hard to raise.

every day can be excruciatingly long - we pack so much in to every day with work and family... but the months and years fly by.

I graduated with 56k in student loan debt. Best money ever spent. Just make sure they get a real degree, you wouldn't want to have that much debt and a degree in philosophy.

My kids will have some money for school and they can have some debt. A little skin in the game is not bad.

My 17yo will be a senior next year and I figure he is looking at 2 years of Community College. Not sure if he will do a 4 year to finish or do a trade.

My 14 yo will want to do the 4 year college route, but I could see him on a 6 year plan.

Each has about $80k in their 529's. Might be enough for one, but probably not enough for both. We will figure it out.

If my kids were college age today, i would strongly suggest taking a year off school and working in Montana to become residents of the state. Then they would get instate tuition.

A year off school is probably for the best anyways for many kids.

https://www.mtech.edu/admissions-graduate/tuition-fees.html

We have lots of state schools here already.

4.5 and 1.5, unless you could the gestation period. Then theyre 4.5 and 4. I can hardly believe big sis is old enough to go to an elite private pre-K a half hour from home. At least she gets 60+ holidays off per year so I dont have to pause my slapfights when I go pick her up. :thumbsup:

We have lots of state schools here already.

That cost 3800 a semester in tuition?

There are state schools in Texas too, but it seems that Montana and Wyoming are much cheaper than the rest of the country.

We are fortunate that if you ace the SAT (which my first two did), Arizona State gives them a President's Scholarship which pays for all but about $1K in tuition. Room and board first year in the dorms is about $9K, cheaper when they moved off campus subsequent years. Youngest did well but didn't ace it; she'll still get a partial scholarship.

4.5 and 1.5, unless you could the gestation period. Then theyre 4.5 and 4. I can hardly believe big sis is old enough to go to an elite private pre-K a half hour from home. At least she gets 60+ holidays off per year so I dont have to pause my slapfights when I go pick her up. :thumbsup:

This is what I clicked on this thread to see.

There are state schools in Texas too, but it seems that Montana and Wyoming are much cheaper than the rest of the country.

Son is headed out to do a service project in Browning Montana in 2 weeks. Told him to check out the place for college. Not Browning of course. But the state in general. A bit cold.

Son is headed out to do a service project in Browning Montana in 2 weeks. Told him to check out the place for college. Not Browning of course. But the state in general. A bit cold.

Browning is quite poor and has high crime. Mmm_beer even did a stint there if I remember correctly. It is not at all like the majority of the state.

One good aspect of being an older parent is that all that money I put into my deferred Comp account for my dreams of a boat and fancy cars and travel is niw earmarked for my kids.

That is grad school costs. In-state full time (12+ credits) is about $21k per year.

Our state schools will run from about $24-32k per year.

Who said the pre-k is a half hour away? Link? Just lying again, as usual. Today she had her interview for kindergarten. Seemed to go well.

I know you do, and I appreciate it. It's nice of you to acknowledge your fandom

Like all private schools, the University of Narnia pre-K is closed on May 22 for both Harvey Milk Day and National Maritime Day, so dont be surprised if I am here from 3 to 4 as usual.

Like all private schools, the University of Narnia pre-K is closed on May 22 for both Harvey Milk Day and National Maritime Day, so dont be surprised if I am here from 3 to 4 as usual.

Lol. Tilt. I win again, it never gets old!

this is the common theme with parenting... how quickly it goes by - and I do appreciate that those of you with older kids always make a point to mention that.

mine are still in grade school and I do everything I can to savor it, enjoy it, capture it... and never miss anything - dance recitals, hockey,baseball, school plays, etc.

family life is insane, you need money and for most of us that means work/career, but you also need time to spend with the family you're working so hard to raise.

every day can be excruciatingly long - we pack so much in to every day with work and family... but the months and years fly by.

Yeah, I always tried to see every kid's sporting event possible. I figure I witnessed ~750 youth hockey/high school hockey games between my 2 boys. One spring, I was head coach of my older daughter's rec softball team, assistant coach of my younger daughter's team, and assistant coach of my younger son's little league team. I'd miss a few of the younger kid's games, but I was basically at a ball field 5 nights a week, plus Saturdays.

It's amazing how much you forget. When I say it goes by in a blur, I mean BLUR. There's so many things/moments you forget over the years. Every once in awhile, one of my kids will say something like "Dad, remember when this happened..." I'll just smile and say "Oh, yeah", but inside I'm like "WTF, I don't remember that." It's pretty frustrating and kind of sad, especially seeing how important it seemed to be to them.

• Like 1

If my kids want to go to a US school, they'll probably have to go into the military like I did. If they want to go to school in China or elsewhere, they can teach English on the side part time and pay their own way.

Yeah, I always tried to see every kid's sporting event possible. I figure I witnessed ~750 youth hockey/high school hockey games between my 2 boys. One spring, I was head coach of my older daughter's rec softball team, assistant coach of my younger daughter's team, and assistant coach of my younger son's little league team. I'd miss a few of the younger kid's games, but I was basically at a ball field 5 nights a week, plus Saturdays.

It's amazing how much you forget. When I say it goes by in a blur, I mean BLUR. There's so many things/moments you forget over the years. Every once in awhile, one of my kids will say something like "Dad, remember when this happened..." I'll just smile and say "Oh, yeah", but inside I'm like "WTF, I don't remember that." It's pretty frustrating and kind of sad, especially seeing how important it seemed to be to them.

Living that life now

Coaching my youngest in baseball, my oldest in hoops and both in football.

Baseball is the craziest. Boys are on different teams. Plus both have started all star practice on the side.

Rain outs and Sundays are the only days something isnt going on.

My wife takes loads of iPhone videos and I have a go pro on the backstop recording all of it.

• Like 1

I definitely was an involved dad. Coached, umpired, sat in the stands and the bleachers for baseball, basketball, soccer, and lacrosse. Retook up bowling and paintball for another. Helped with trombone lessons and learning the guitar. Read books that were assigned to them along with them to show I would take the same responsibility. Got involved with boosters at times. Granted the military took me away at some times. Couldn't be there for my oldest first trip to the ER and that killed me. We've gone on cruises together as recently as last month. We're planning a trip to Hawaii to see my youngest within the next year.

• Like 1