Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I game a 15 year old set of Hogan Apex edge pro forged irons, they are just sweet clubs. Found it interesting the PW is 48 degrees. Seems all the new stuff is 45 or stronger. Its like a full club difference

This is true.......with Taylormade basically kick starting that trend............But again, this was a product of technology advancement more so than TM just doing it on a whim... Metals have become stronger and lighter, allowing club manufactures to thin the faces and tremendously lower CGs. Bcoz of that, they make a 6-iron today fly as high and get as quick as a 7-iron of old.

Cleveland has pretty much followed TMs model with the strong lofts, to a T....... But Ping and Mizuno still tend to gear it back a bit.

This is true.......with Taylormade basically kick starting that trend............But again, this was a product of technology advancement more so than TM just doing it on a whim... Metals have become stronger and lighter, allowing club manufactures to thin the faces and tremendously lower CGs. Bcoz of that, they make a 6-iron today fly as high and get as quick as a 7-iron of old.

Cleveland has pretty much followed TMs model with the strong lofts, to a T....... But Ping and Mizuno still tend to gear it back a bit.

I'd love a set of MP 32's... Not sure im good enough for them, but maybe i am.

I'd love a set of MP 32's... Not sure im good enough for them, but maybe i am.

I really want a set of blades too.. Not to play with, just to have and monkey around with.. I could put a set in play and hack it around in the mid 80's, but that's not a lot of fun... Be good to practice with though.

I game a 15 year old set of Hogan Apex edge pro forged irons, they are just sweet clubs. Found it interesting the PW is 48 degrees. Seems all the new stuff is 45 or stronger. Its like a full club difference

I play a 15 year old set of Precept pro forged irons S-300 shafts. I loved them when I first got them and hit them really good. But now , unless I hit them perfect, I lose distance and height. They are a young mans clubs. I need to get a new set.

I really like the look of it, is really sharp.. But just swinging it around at my house, definitely feels a bit whippy.. I'm going the range today, may end up buying a Stiff to compare .

My hybrid shaft is perfect. Not too whippy at all.

The 3 wood shaft has a little more wipe than I normally care for but I can bomb that club. Although I have to double check, that one might be a "made for" callaway NVS shaft. I've heard those are are not always true to spec.

I prefer a PW to be 47 or 48 since I choose to game a 52, 56 and 60.. I like 4-5 degree gaps.

I prefer a PW to be 47 or 48 since I choose to game a 52, 56 and 60.. I like 4-5 degree gaps.

Same, thats my bag. Mizuno MP T-11 wedges

I'm sure this has been discussed, but how often do you guys get new clubs?

I've had my Callaway irons since early 2013 I think. I still hit them well, but I have no clue if the iron advancements since then are significant and would be beneficial. But I'm itching for a new set for some reason.

I've had my Callaway irons since early 2013 I think. I still hit them well, but I have no clue if the iron advancements since then are significant and would be beneficial. But I'm itching for a new set for some reason.

Unless youre vain and need to hit your 9i 155 instead of your 8i, dont bother. Youre just gonna end up needing to add another wedge.

I've had my Callaway irons since 2010. My wedges were all purchased within the last 3 years but the wedges before that were in my bag for quite a while my old oil can vokey was in there since 2002, my lob wedge was a Cleveland BECU that I bought when I was in Middle School and my gap wedge maybe 2005 it was a shity Nike that I never liked

I've had my hybrid since 2007 it had a steel shaft and then two years ago I put in the aldila nvs hybrid shaft

I have a Callaway 3 deep 3 wood that I bought but I swap three woods all the time sometimes all use that sometimes I'll use my Callaway ft 3

Driver I bought the 2016 TaylorMade M2 at the end of 2017 I've yet to play an actual round of golf with it just use it at the range and before that I had the original TaylorMade RocketBallz and before that the Callaway ft 3 so I'm on my third driver in probably 12 years

And I bought my Scotty with golf outing Pro Shop money back in 2011? I think

I've the oldest set of irons in my group, going on 5 or 6 years I guess.. I have a huge itch for a new set, but holding steady. If I could find a new set of what I have now, I'd buy those.

Looking at Mizuno JPX 900s, both the standard and forged.

73* and partly cloudy 2moro - who else is playing hooky for 27? :banana:

73* and partly cloudy 2moro - who else is playing hooky for 27? :banana:

What do you do for a living again?

I think I want your life. Weekday golf when you want, 36 on the weekends, poker in the clubhouse before and after. I mean, it's not worth being a short guy, but otherwise it's the ideal.

I would like new irons but I just don't happen to like much out there.

The ping i200 sort of fit my eye

Unless youre vain and need to hit your 9i 155 instead of your 8i, dont bother. Youre just gonna end up needing to add another wedge.

I've had my Callaway irons since 2010. My wedges were all purchased within the last 3 years but the wedges before that were in my bag for quite a while my old oil can vokey was in there since 2002, my lob wedge was a Cleveland BECU that I bought when I was in Middle School and my gap wedge maybe 2005 it was a shity Nike that I never liked

I've had my hybrid since 2007 it had a steel shaft and then two years ago I put in the aldila nvs hybrid shaft

I have a Callaway 3 deep 3 wood that I bought but I swap three woods all the time sometimes all use that sometimes I'll use my Callaway ft 3

Driver I bought the 2016 TaylorMade M2 at the end of 2017 I've yet to play an actual round of golf with it just use it at the range and before that I had the original TaylorMade RocketBallz and before that the Callaway ft 3 so I'm on my third driver in probably 12 years

And I bought my Scotty with golf outing Pro Shop money back in 2011? I think

I bought my irons in 2012. It's not vanity that would make me want to pull a 9i from 150 instead of an 8i. It's scoring. We all hit an 8 better than a 7 which we hit better than a 6, etc. If you tell me I'd be able to pull one iron less on average, and the flight would be higher/straighter, I see that as a significant leap in scoring potential.

As for the rest of my bag, that's a different ballgame....I'm on my 3rd set of wedges since then, and probably going to add one more this weekend..I've bought 2 drivers since then (with my current Nike Vapor Fly being about 2 years old.) May update that soon though as well. :ninja:....My hybrid is about 3 years old and I don't have any urge to mess with it.

Basically, I'm good about resisting the urge to upgrade unless I think there may be scoring benefits. But once I'm convinced that there are benefits, I become very very very weak in terms of resisting said urge. Very weak. :dunno:

Aren't wedges something that should be replaced regularly? I've always heard that but, didn't know why.

I'm not very good and don't really know what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Aren't wedges something that should be replaced regularly? I've always heard that but, didn't know why.

I'm not very good and don't really know what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Depends. For example I rarely used my old lob wedge so the grooves were perfect and all my old wedges were non conforming so even though the grooves were not as sharp as when brand new, still got more bite than some new models.

Plus if you regularly clean your groves and sharpen them, you're fine.

Depends. For example I rarely used my old lob wedge so the grooves were perfect and all my old wedges were non conforming so even though the grooves were not as sharp as when brand new, still got more bite than some new models.

Yeah, wedges should be changed out more often. But it really depends how much you play and how good you are. Also where you play a bit. I am sure in Texas you notice the wear of your grooves quicker than if you are playing in the northeast. Pros wear out wedges real quick, but they are practicing every day hitting hundreds of shots. Practicing bunker shots on the regular, shots your average AM never practices.

Unless you play the amount Cruzer plays, I'd say a wedge should last 3 or 4 years at least. I play about 40-50 rounds a year. Average at most practice time. And I'd guess I need them about every 3 to 4 years. If you are a real casual 10 round a year guy, all of your clubs should last basically until technology runs them out of your bag.

Yeah, wedges should be changed out more often. But it really depends how much you play and how good you are. Also where you play a bit. I am sure in Texas you notice the wear of your grooves quicker than if you are playing in the northeast. Pros wear out wedges real quick, but they are practicing every day hitting hundreds of shots. Practicing bunker shots on the regular, shots your average AM never practices.

Unless you play the amount Cruzer plays, I'd say a wedge should last 3 or 4 years at least. I play about 40-50 rounds a year. Average at most practice time. And I'd guess I need them about every 3 to 4 years. If you are a real casual 10 round a year guy, all of your clubs should last basically until technology runs them out of your bag.

Thanks fellas.

What do you do for a living again?

I think I want your life. Weekday golf when you want, 36 on the weekends, poker in the clubhouse before and after. I mean, it's not worth being a short guy, but otherwise it's the ideal.

He ain't married. I can tell ya that much :D

• Like 1

I bought my irons in 2012. It's not vanity that would make me want to pull a 9i from 150 instead of an 8i. It's scoring. We all hit an 8 better than a 7 which we hit better than a 6, etc. If you tell me I'd be able to pull one iron less on average, and the flight would be higher/straighter, I see that as a significant leap in scoring potential.

Ok, I see what your saying. I guess it all comes down to what your looking to improve. If you need a little more forgiveness or help with launch, then yes, a new set may help you out.

I primarily play a set of 1996 DCI irons and have never tried anything that knocks them out of the bag. I may be a little longer with newer clubs, but the consistency isnt there. Most new stuff comes with sub 100g steel shafts in "uniflex" and I tend to get a little hooky with a shaft that light. I also dont like the thick top lines on new stuff.

If I were you, take a look at Rick Shiels on Youtube. He tests every club under the sun. You will see, if you have a consistent strike, brand new stuff doesn't afford you that much help. To me, whos tight with a dollar, its not worth it.

There are youtube guys I like... ones like rick shiels not so much. And the horrid mark crossfield

There are youtube guys I like... ones like rick shiels not so much. And the horrid mark crossfield

Crossfield is tolerable for a few mins. His old stuff was better from a few years ago.

I like watching Shiels for club and shaft reviews, but yeah, hes not my favorite. Who do you normally watch?

Crossfield is tolerable for a few mins. His old stuff was better from a few years ago.

I like watching Shiels for club and shaft reviews, but yeah, hes not my favorite. Who do you normally watch?

i like Finch, though he obviously does a lot of stuff with Shiels.

and from a non reviews or lessons, pure entertainment standpoint, I'm a fan of the videos done by the golfholics. I enjoy because they are not "pros" or teaching pros and Marco does some really nice editing of their videos. They also have some nice eye candy from time to time :thumbsup:

in fact here they are with Finch

Once I got tall enuff to ride all the rides at Six Flags, it wasn't so bad. :D

have stiff NVS shafts in my older 3 wood which I went back to and in my 3 hybrid (bought the NVS hybrid shaft off ebay for cheap, maybe 15 dollars new. great shafts. Had one in my Callaway FT3 driver as well.

Played 2 full days (about 63 holes) this weekend with the NVS shaft.

Being a Regular flex, it felt really weird - whippy...... But I'll be damned if I didn't hit it well. This shaft doesn't go as far, prolly 10-15 yards shorter than my stiffer shafts of the past, but damn does it stay in play. I hit this thing straight - found more fairways this weekend than I did in all of February.... I found myself swinging easier, which prolly helped my accuracy...... Shot 74, 78 in my money games, so I may keep it while and see if I can take it up a notch.

I re-learned a valuable lesson this weekend:

when a flat bellied, white pant, white belt, 30 year old kid shows up out of the blue - do NOT bet him... It was the last nine of a 36 hole round Saturday - it was the drunk 9, we were all feeling good. Anyways this kid showed up as a guest of a friend and they wanted a bet, said sure why not, me and buddy took them on.... I shot 38 which isn't bad............ This kid hit it a freaking mile, was carrying it 280 easy, and could putt....... shot 3 under (with 4 birdies), lesson re-learned. :D

Played 2 full days (about 63 holes) this weekend with the NVS shaft.

Being a Regular flex, it felt really weird - whippy...... But I'll be damned if I didn't hit it well. This shaft doesn't go as far, prolly 10-15 yards shorter than my stiffer shafts of the past, but damn does it stay in play. I hit this thing straight - found more fairways this weekend than I did in all of February.... I found myself swinging easier, which prolly helped my accuracy...... Shot 74, 78 in my money games, so I may keep it while and see if I can take it up a notch.

That is interesting.

I have always found that I am far more accurate with a stiffer shaft but can crank a regular flex. We always used to mess around with a women's 7 iron and that thing went forever just not so straight most of the time.

I would guess you were keeping it straight because of the conscious effort to slow your swing down, knowing the shaft had too much whip for you. Probably not a good thing in the long run unless you are going to make a permanent swing change.

I would venture to bet that the same shaft in stiff will be perfect for you.

I would venture to bet that the same shaft in stiff will be perfect for you.

Yea I'm gonna a pick one up just to try. With roll out I was still getting some out there 270/280, but it felt really weird.

Yea I'm gonna a pick one up just to try. With roll out I was still getting some out there 270/280, but it felt really weird.

I think you'd end up getting a lot more out of it by being able to feel comfortable putting your normal swing on it plus getting the little extra kick since the NVS is not as boardy as many other S flex shafts. In fact it's not boardy at all.

I think you'd end up getting a lot more out of it by being able to feel comfortable putting your normal swing on it plus getting the little extra kick since the NVS is not as boardy as many other S flex shafts. In fact it's not boardy at all.

Found it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-ALDILA-NVS-55-S-STIFF-FLEX-335-TIP-DRIVER-SHAFT-4-4-TORQUE/381587382959?epid=27009497228&hash=item58d86162af:g:wwUAAMXQVERS2WBY

So looking at my last 20 rounds in two halves (Rounds 1-10 vs Rounds 11-20) , statistically I've made a leap in terms of ball striking.

• Fairways hit: 64% to 70%
  • Fairways Missed Left (My death miss): 14% to 7%
  • GIR: 5 to 7
  • Par 3's hit: 24% to 50%

The point is, I've felt good. Then yesterday I try to play in 25 mph winds at Fossil Creek, can't hit anything, lose all my confidence, go home and record my swing, and now I feel like I have no business swinging a club in public ever again. I feel like a phony.

I've slowly gotten way too flat. I'm getting stuck, shallowing out too early, a few drop kicks off the tee, hate my life, etc. Basically, in this link below, I'm Rickie Fowler on the left yet I thought I was Rickie on the right. And working on it last night, getting the club into the right position had me feeling like I'm going to have to Furyk loop it to get on plane, otherwise I'll come over the top and snaphook everything. I know that's not the case, but it feels that way. I hate life.

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/tips/rickie-fowler-golf-swing-tips-90145

Then yesterday I try to play in 25 mph winds at Fossil Creek..

You played in that shiit? I walked out on my back patio that morning, said hell no to myself.

We went to Flips, then Twin Peaks to watch golf.

Speaking of T. Peaks - the girls are dressed in lingerie, ALL WEEK.... I shiit you not, they are in bras and thongs - it's fantastic.

You played in that shiit? I walked out on my back patio that morning, said hell no to myself.

We went to Flips, then Twin Peaks to watch golf.

Speaking of T. Peaks - the girls are dressed in lingerie, ALL WEEK.... I shiit you not, they are in bras and thongs - it's fantastic.

I strive for the Cruzer life of being able to play 7 days a week, thus being able to decide each morning if it's perfect enough. Someday. But currently, it's Saturday or Sunday with the tee time usually made 4-5 days in advance, and I don't bail because that means another week til I play again.....Yet in this instance, playing seems to have ruined my life........Have I mentioned that I hate you? :music_guitarred:

Twin Peaks....Last time I was there, a hot redheaded waitress gave me her phone number, but I was unable to close the deal. That feeling of incompletion combined with lingerie all week means a return trip should be in order. Thanks for the headsup.

• Like 1

73 yesterday

71% fairways

72% GIR

32 putts

Steady 15mph wind. Misses weren't bad, scrambling and putting were good. 2 birds out of 13 GIR attempts and 3 bogeys. Drop kicked one drive that went about 150 yds (bogey) that cost me an even round

Played Cross Timbers yesterday, which I probably consider my home course. I have been uncomfortable on the greens lately, both reading putts and knowing how chips are going to react, so I was excited to get back onto greens I know well. It showed as I had 31 putts (averaging 35.2 the last 10 rounds). More importantly, I FELT like I was going to make every putt inside of 20 feet, and all my misses seemingly could have easily went in.

Im rebuilding my backswing with a couple of checkpoints. I was too flat, and the clubface was closed at the top, so Ive always had to hold off the finish. In getting my hands up and getting square, I can now release through the finish. The balls I struck well had an element of effortless power I havent had, but all the mechanical thoughts had me struggling with consistency. The result was a solid score of 82 that felt very sloppy.

But as I entered said score this morning, I was caught off guard by the discovery that I had achieved a long desired milestone. My handicap dropped to 9.8! Its long been a goal to get into single digits, but I havent paid attention to it lately as Ive instead been focused on other stats. It may be temporary though, as in the next 6 rounds I lose scores of 77, 82, 82, and 81...but a milestone nonetheless.

The difference between an amazing and mediocre round is often nothing more than 5-7' putts.

Shot 71 Saturday, made every 6' footer I looked at.. 77 today and didn't make a putt over 5'.

My new Ping G 3-wood is the schnitzel - kicking myself for not buying it sooner.