Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Dalvin Cook, Vikings

It could be argued Cook was the most complete running back available in the draft, so Minnesota probably just found its long-term solution to replacing Adrian Peterson. Cook has several off-field issues and an injury history that pushed him into the second round, and there is no question the Vikings have issues on the offensive line and Latavius Murray in his way. That's the downside. The upside is Cook has a fairly good shot at being the primary back right away - likely ceding carries to Murray at the goal line - and is a big-play threat every time he touches the ball. He is also very dynamic in the passing game and proved time and again he could handle a heavy workload at Florida State. It may take a year or two before he ascends to RB1 status in fantasy given the aforementioned issues, but Cook is a player who compares favorably to Jamaal Charles and could easily enjoy a similar career.

Makes for a very interesting rb1 situation.

I don't mind Cook landing here at all. Murray is on a one year contract and will not be back in 2017. Murray also will NOT get the goal line carries. lol Didn't anyone watch him in Oakland? This is why they let him go. He is a huge RB who runs like a 5'6, 150lb guy. He doesn't like to be hit and absolutley cannot be a goal line running back. He will get the nod until Cook is familiar with the NFL.

On another note - The Vikings line is better than last year. They did a solid job in this draft and upgraded during the offseason. Is it a good line? No. It's manageable though and probably would rank in the 18th to 22nd overall line right now. Some teams have absolutely zero line. Cook ran behind a very lackluster line last season and created his own holes. I get it, the NFL is different, but the kid can play football. I would have rather him went to Green Bay or Kansas City, as he fits their offense, but this is ok too.

He can do some things AP couldn't, such as catch the ball out of the backfield. He's not a bad pass protector either. Not good, but certainly not bad. If you have watched Cook in any interviews, he reminds you of a kid that only knows football. I recall when another guy was dropped in the draft over his 40 time, yet ran behind a mediocre line in college and played well. His name was E. Smith. I'm not going to compare his career to Cook's, but the similarities are certainly there. My opinion was Cook is the best overall RB in this class, even with his fumbling issues.

I don't mind Cook landing here at all. Murray is on a one year contract and will not be back in 2017. Murray also will NOT get the goal line carries. lol Didn't anyone watch him in Oakland? This is why they let him go. He is a huge RB who runs like a 5'6, 150lb guy. He doesn't like to be hit and absolutley cannot be a goal line running back. He will get the nod until Cook is familiar with the NFL.

Slow your roll a bit :P I like Cook as much as anyone, but ...

Murray signed a three-year contract which can void after one. (This Vikings' staff is also the same staff that found a way to force Matt Asiata into the game plan every week.) Murray scored nine TDs on 16 carries inside the 5 last year, 76.2 percent of Oakland's total. I'm not going to sit here and say he was great near the goal line or ran like Tarzan, but he's not going to just ride the bench either. I'll be happy if Cook is the the lead or featured back by midseason and hope for something earlier than that. I have no doubt I will still rank Cook high though, as the talent is undeniable and the line is getting better.

I don't see a true Rb1 on the Vikings this season if both of them stay healthy.

It's not a good move for ff.

• Like 1