Sign in to follow this  
tubby_mcgee

Years from now... will 2018 be when ESPN "Jumped the Shark"?

They sure are starting to give a lot of attention the to the world of video games -- and not even sports games. They gave an interview to some blue haired kid who was a Fortnite champ who plays fortnight 10-12 hours per day. Plus he is on the front page online, and gonna be on cover of the magazine.

I know its the Entertainment network also...but jeez.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/24710688/fortnite-legend-ninja-living-stream

Haven't watched ESPN for anything other than live sports for probably close to 10 years. Jumped the shark a long time ago IMO.

• Like 1

I'd set the start date as when they changed format and put Jemille Hill in charge of programming.

• Like 2

They jumped the shark when the internet made SportsCenter irrelevant.

Dead on dude. Not about race, not about content. Just easier quicker ways to get sports info. I appreciate the post. Truth

I posted a long time ago that and their highest muckety-mucks took a look at Japan where they have literally stadiums filled with people watching a couple guys play video games and ESPN knew the future. Or at least they thought they did. Hell of a lot cheaper production costs. Hell of a lot cheaper sport in general. The NFL's television package gets more and more ridiculous each time they renew. Then you add in the concussion litigation and it's almost a fait accompli.

and I wrote all that before ESPN made a huge investment in fortnite.

E-sports will be big, I could see it rivaling a sports league in popularity in the future, smart of them to try and get in ahead of it.

Yep. I was just talking to a friend about this. 18-24 y/os watch more e-sports than regular sports. In 15-25 years youll see an e-sports player sign a bigger contract than anyone in the NFL, NBA or MLB.

Yep. I was just talking to a friend about this. 18-24 y/os watch more e-sports than regular sports. In 15-25 years youll see an e-sports player sign a bigger contract than anyone in the NFL, NBA or MLB.

Ugh :thumbsdown:

Years ago. Because their content sucked, they made it all about race. And way too much NBA.

ESPN died to me when they got rid of NFL Primetime.

They jumped the shark when the internet made SportsCenter irrelevant.

Yes and yes.

ESPN hasn't been relevant in years, probably over a decade. I don't know anyone who still watches it regularly. Used to be everyone I knew watched it every day. And I don't hang out with non sports fans.

ESPN hasn't been relevant in years, probably over a decade. I don't know anyone who still watches it regularly. Used to be everyone I knew watched it every day. And I don't hang out with non sports fans.

My morning ritual years ago...now I turn it on...all the fake trying to be funny schtick that chris berman pioneered.

Just terrible...

Golic and wingo at least stays on topic to get a few sentences in before plugging 1800 flowers.com. and re stating their show name and all that blather. Every thirty seconds is enough.

Dead on dude. Not about race, not about content. Just easier quicker ways to get sports info. I appreciate the post. Truth

The CEO of ESPN disagrees. Says they got too political. Lol.

The CEO of ESPN disagrees. Says they got too political. Lol.

Interesting...Guess he would know. I was mostly speculating from my perspective. I think someone said the end of NFL Primetime. I kind of agree. And that's not ESPN's fault, heck back in the early FF days that was THE place to get fantasy stats..and not have to wait till the next day.

I haven't watched ESPN at all, with the exception of a sporting event, in so long I can't remember. And not even a conscious decision, there is just far too many other sources for info that are quicker and easier.

I really wonder what Stewart Scott would have to say about most of his Negro counterparts these days.

He opened the door, and they've been fuucking it up ever since.

I really wonder what Stewart Scott would have to say about most of his Negro counterparts these days.

He opened the door, and they've been fuucking it up ever since.

He was the main reason I headed for the exit.