Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

The Adventures of Baby Lizard

Some of you know the story of Liizard Lizard. He was a lizard that lived on my back porch. He would be there every afternoon when I water the plants. Perhaps for the water droplets, or the bugs that it stirred up. Whenever I would see Lizard Lizard, I would say the words "Lizard Lizard" and just stand still and observe the lizard. Lizard Lizard was a medium sized spiny lizard, and I think he got eaten by a snake. There are other, even larger spiny lizards on the property, one of which I accidently ran over in the gravel driveway. So, I felt bad about that ... been kinda nurturing to this baby spined lizard on my back porch recently, living in the queenswreath.

The queenswreath is occupied by bees right now, during the day, because it's bright pink flowers are out at this time, and the bees are mellow, and of course the nectar also attracts moths. It seems a perfect place for a young lizard to grow up. Sometimes getting splashed when the giant that allows you to live in his back porch comes out to water the plants.

Then it happened again. Spotted a small, maybe rattlesnake on the porch, and then a small garter snake the next day. Baby lizard was nowhere to be found. I was almost sure baby lizard was gone. I was sad. There's some other shiat going on, but it made me really sad. Here was this tiny lizard, that I had encouraged to not be afraid of me. For the next few days when I wattered, no baby lizard. I was sure he was eaten by the baby rattlesnake, and then maybe it was eaten by the garter snake, and that's just hiw it goes. I was thinking, would you rather have that young happy life of a lizard, jumping around on plants ... Food flies right past your face, and you just snag it .... or would you rather be that snake. The snake, that comes out at night, and slowly, patiently waits out it's prey, which it then swallows whole and goes back to it's den for a month.

Anyway, there is good news. I saw baby lizard today. Wow! he has almost doubled in size! Or maybe it's baby lizards brother. Maybe there were multiple baby lizard and I only saw one at a time ... I don't know. If it is the original baby lizard, he has doubled in size, in like 2 weeks ... It's amazing.

Lotta spined lizards, your standard horny toads, live on the property. These particular spiny lizard, can actually grow quite large. The one I ran over, was about 8 inches, from head to tail and thicker than a hot dog. I will try and get some pictures.

You can aslo just google: Arizona spiny lizard

Baby horny toads are cuter, and easy to catch. These little guys though, are quick right from the get go.