Sign in to follow this  
WhiteWonder

** Official NBA Thread 2017-18 **

NBA discussion around here is always pretty good. If there is already an official NBA season discussion thread, just point me to it and I will delete this one.

Im interested to see how the "big 3" (I use quotes because Melo is done) in OKC work out together. I think George will leave after this year, Westbrook will stay and Melo will opt in for that $$.

The Timberwolves are an interesting team as well

Also, The Nets will be a playoff team in the East. Book it. I'm probably going to lay some coin on that. mybookie has them at +2000 to make the playoffs. In the east, with so many bad teams, I think they are going to surprise a lot of people. RHJ looks really good. Lin is healthy. Carroll looks like a completely different player than he was in Toronto, healthy now I guess, and while I originally didn't like the trade of Lopez for Russell, i'm coming around on it. The Nets can play fast, score and have some good perimiter defenders. Interior D is the weakness.

(countdown to MDC responding asking for a sig bet.....)

Would love nothing more than to see Boston oust Cleveland in the East.

We actually had a sig bet going on this year already I thought?

Anyway I am really excited for the Sixers even though I expect growing pains and maybe 35-40 wins. I think Ben Simmons is going to be a star.

I was getting sh!t on another board from Sixers fans when i said that Simmons is a taller Ricky Rubio....great passers, can't shoot.

I'm really excited to see the Twolves grow....they won't contend or anything but they should give teams a lot of fits.

I've officially abandoned being a knicks fan...I'm done. Hopping on the Wolves wagon.

We actually had a sig bet going on this year already I thought?

Anyway I am really excited for the Sixers even though I expect growing pains and maybe 35-40 wins. I think Ben Simmons is going to be a star.

maybe we did. if we do i feel better about it. much better

when will the sixers trade okafor? all that losing involved in the process has produced Joel Embiid who you have to keep your fingers crossed on every night and Ben Simmons (who i agree could be a star). Seems like they should have more pieces in place by now.

I'm really excited to see the Twolves grow....they won't contend or anything but they should give teams a lot of fits.

I've officially abandoned being a knicks fan...I'm done. Hopping on the Wolves wagon.

I've been a Wolves fan in the past. Not calling myself one now but from the day KG entered the league I was a Garnett fan first, Nets fan 2nd,....so much of my youth was spent as a T-Wolves fan. Still remember watching the Wolves lose to the Lakers in the conference finals with my girlfriend at the time who was also a big KG fan and played HS basketball herself.

But with tibbs coaching, Wiggins, KAT and now Butler... going to be a very good team and in 2-3 years a team that is potentially one of the best in the West.

maybe we did. if we do i feel better about it. much better

when will the sixers trade okafor? all that losing involved in the process has produced Joel Embiid who you have to keep your fingers crossed on every night and Ben Simmons (who i agree could be a star). Seems like they should have more pieces in place by now.

Can't get anything for Jah right now so he's Embiid insurance. He did show up about 20 pounds slimmer and looks better in preseason. With Holmes out for a few months he should play a lot in the early going at least.

Man.. That kind of $$ on Embiid...

I hope the insurance policy is substantial.

I'm guessing that new contract has at least 3 years of dead money.

Man.. That kind of $$ on Embiid...

I hope the insurance policy is substantial.

I'm guessing that new contract has at least 3 years of dead money.

Agreed. Guy has played 31 games. Greg Oden all over again

I've been a Wolves fan in the past. Not calling myself one now but from the day KG entered the league I was a Garnett fan first, Nets fan 2nd,....so much of my youth was spent as a T-Wolves fan. Still remember watching the Wolves lose to the Lakers in the conference finals with my girlfriend at the time who was also a big KG fan and played HS basketball herself.

But with tibbs coaching, Wiggins, KAT and now Butler... going to be a very good team and in 2-3 years a team that is potentially one of the best in the West.

Oh nice...yeah the G league team here in Des Moines is the Wolves affiliate.....have floor season tickets...so makes more sense. Good young team, fun guys, KAT is a beast.

Well done, it's hard to make that kind of move but, you made the right call. The Knicks haven't held up their end of the deal.

:thumbsup:

I feel like now, more than ever, the NBA has become more of a hired gun - mercenary type of league. I moved on from the Bulls in the mid 2000's. Breaking up the dynasty never sat well, I was a huge Pippen fan. I root for individual players now, and in turn, pull for their teams.

Really enjoy following ex-Hooisers, not being tied to a certain team makes that infinitely more enjoyable.

I don't care if the celtics go 80 and 2

I just can't watch the NBA.

#notmynba

I don't care if the celtics go 80 and 2

I just can't watch the NBA.

#notmynba

I had about a 5 - 7 year span of that in the mid-2000's but, I came back. I enjoy the NBA for what it is now.

Basketball was always my first love though, I get why people around our age have moved on though. Jordan, Magic, & Larry aren't walking through that door.

I had about a 5 - 7 year span of that in the mid-2000's but, I came back. I enjoy the NBA for what it is now.

Basketball was always my first love though, I get why people around our age have moved on though. Jordan, Magic, & Larry aren't walking through that door.

I really want to watch, I do. I'm really not a racist :ninja:

I stopped watching for the same reason everyone did. Now I have so little time and a young kid, I don't have time to invest.

The reason I still watch the NFL (so much less than I used to) and golf (most tournaments) is they are almost exclusively on during the weekend. I have little to no time on a weeknight

I barely even watch the NHL and I love the NHL. when I do get to watch it's on DVR at work

I really want to watch, I do. I'm really not a racist :ninja:

I stopped watching for the same reason everyone did. Now I have so little time and a young kid, I don't have time to invest.

The reason I still watch the NFL (so much less than I used to) and golf (most tournaments) is they are almost exclusively on during the weekend. I have little to no time on a weeknight

I barely even watch the NHL and I love the NHL. when I do get to watch it's on DVR at work

Yup, I get it. I rarely get a chance to watch a complete game, I try to keep up though.

My son is 14, plays basketball year round, he plays travel yadda yadda, we watch together.. Quarter here, 2 quarters there. So, that makes it fun. He is like any other kid his age though, and there is a real pattern here, they don't sit down and watch entire games of any sport. This will be an issue for advertisers in the future.

Yup, I get it. I rarely get a chance to watch a complete game, I try to keep up though.

My son is 14, plays basketball year round, he plays travel yadda yadda, we watch together.. Quarter here, 2 quarters there. So, that makes it fun. He is like any other kid his age though, and there is a real pattern here, they don't sit down and watch entire games of any sport. This will be an issue for advertisers in the future.

Brought my kid to a movie theater for the 1st time yesterday. Turned 4 in August.

He was one of the youngest there and I was easily one of the oldest.

He was a very good boy, sat through the whole thing. Daddy had to get up pee twice and has sore thighs from sitting for 2 straight hours. Sad

I'm a Bucks fan. I think they can make some noise in the East this year...as long as they stay healthy (a really big if). I think Giannis can contend for MVP this year; the guy is special. I'm going to predict that we overcome Cleveland and win in the East.

Predictions.

East

1. Celtics

2. Cavs

3. Bucks

4. Raptors

5. Hornets

6. Wizards

7. Heat

8. Sixers

West

1. Warriors

2. Rockets

3. OKC

4. Spurs

5. T-Wolves

6. Portland

7. Clippers

8. Nuggets

MVP - Harden

Scoring Leader - Kyrie Irving

NBA Champions - Cav's

Nets are better than the heat and a Hornet Injury away from being on their level (sixers as well) although with the 6ers it might not take an injury as much as seeing if they have coehsiveness.

Nets are better than the heat and a Hornet Injury away from being on their level (sixers as well) although with the 6ers it might not take an injury as much as seeing if they have coehsiveness.

Just curious what the Nets did this offseason for you to think they're not among the worst teams in the league?

Just curious what the Nets did this offseason for you to think they're not among the worst teams in the league?

The Celtics traded the pick to the Cavs

If you follow the nba,that's easy. They were a much better team when lin was healthy last year. Much better. Of course he needs to stay healthy. The addition of Russell brings an upside where Lopez was probably capped out as a big man who didn't rebound. Hollis Jefferson has improved and the additions of Carroll and Crabbe will be solid adds.

With guys like Levert, Booker, Acy, Dinwiddie, Kilpatrick etc all now coming off the bench, it's a sneaky good 2nd unit.

Plus the east is weak. I count 5 teams that are significantly better than the rest.

Miami, charlotte, philly, brooklyn, Atlanta etc... all on the same level IMHO

If you follow the nba,that's easy. They were a much better team when lin was healthy last year. Much better. Of course he needs to stay healthy. The addition of Russell brings an upside where Lopez was probably capped out as a big man who didn't rebound. Hollis Jefferson has improved and the additions of Carroll and Crabbe will be solid adds.

With guys like Levert, Booker, Acy, Dinwiddie, Kilpatrick etc all now coming off the bench, it's a sneaky good 2nd unit.

Plus the east is weak. I count 5 teams that are significantly better than the rest.

Miami, charlotte, philly, brooklyn, Atlanta etc... all on the same level IMHO

The Sixers probably have three players who all have a higher ceiling than anybody in Brooklyn. I guess we will see.

The Sixers probably have three players who all have a higher ceiling than anybody in Brooklyn. I guess we will see.

What does one have to do with the other? I might agree with you but fortunately most teams are more than 3 deep

What does one have to do with the other? I might agree with you but fortunately most teams are more than 3 deep

It means that the Sixers are better than Brooklyn.

It means that the Sixers are better than Brooklyn.

Again what does one have to do with the other you were directly responding to my notion that the Nets could challenge for a playoff spot it's conceivable that both Philly and Brooklyn could challenge for playoff spots in a very weak East you asked me why I thought the Nets would be better than last year and I explained it so what's going on in Philly land really doesn't have anything to do with my explanation

I agree with you that Philly probably has three players with higher ceilings than Brooklyn although I might argue that D'Angelo Russell could slide in there as the third highest ceiling player but regardless when you take the totality of the teams Charlotte Brooklyn Philly miami, Atlanta they're all on that same tier

Cavs and Warriors are so much better than anyone else that it's laughable. They should just start the series right now. Make it a best of 15 games. San Antonio and OKC are probably a distant 3 and 4.

I just looked at Brooklyn's roster. Dude. Stop.

Bottom Feeders.

That's just it, you can't simply look at the roster, see the players names (half of which you probably have never heard of unless you're a really big NBA fan or follow that team) and make a blanket statement that they're bottom-feeders. If you actually watch them play and the style with which they play and do your due diligence and see what kind of team they were last year when Jeremy Lin was on the court you'll see that there's more to it then the name recognition of a Kemba Walker (who I'm a fan of).

Sean marks has done a really admirable job of getting creative with the fact that Brooklyn was in such a hole after the Garnett Pierce trade that I really have to commend him I don't know if he will turn out to be an amazing GM but I cannot complain about much of what he's done so far

He essentially traded a center who was going to be a free agent after this season for a number 2 overall pick in D'Angelo Russell. .. he also traded Thaddeus Young Who is a very solid and underrated veteran didn't really fit on a rebuilding team for a first-round pick to use on Caris LeVert who by all accounts would have been a lottery pick had he not been injured his senior season at Michigan. The Nets also moved a guy with limited upside in Mason Plumlee plus a second round pick for the rights to rondae hollis-jefferson who has tremendous upside

I'm really not trying to be a cheerleader for the Brooklyn Nets I'm more just trying to explain how their situation isn't actually as dire as people believe that it is. I don't know if they'll be a 500 basketball team I'm not making any proclamations that they're the fifth or sixth best team in the east but top to bottom the East is so weak that they're right there with Miami Charlotte Philly Orlando Atlanta Detroit any of those teams could fill out the last 3 or 4 playoff spots

Anyone else who wants to make a sig bet with me or a small side bet on the Nets making the playoffs just send me a PM

i would have sworn i had seen a thread on new playoff format but cannot find it.

so, you guys believe it has anything to do with the speculation that bron bron goes to the lakers, to allow more western teams into the playoff (mo bron. mo $$)?

Not sure how you guys invest time in bad NBA franchises. You guys have sat around for a decade saying how your team is turning it around.

I get the t wolves have talent like any other bad team who has stockpiled. But how many years in a row can they be the "surprise team" or " team that takes a step"? Never happens. I guess eventually it will come true.

Has there ever been a major sports season where everyone was 100% sure who was gping to be in the finals before the season even started?

even in the glory days of the 80's we pretty much knew who was going

Has there ever been a major sports season where everyone was 100% sure who was gping to be in the finals before the season even started?

Yes Newbie, last year..

No, never. :rolleyes:

conference finals count ?

Not sure how you guys invest time in bad NBA franchises. You guys have sat around for a decade saying how your team is turning it around.

I get the t wolves have talent like any other bad team who has stockpiled. But how many years in a row can they be the "surprise team" or " team that takes a step"? Never happens. I guess eventually it will come true.

Ummm. The wolves were a perennial playoff team when Garnett was there. Poor GM and ownership decisions cost them draft picks in the form of penalties. Despite that, they made a western conference finals.

Between then and the last 2 years they were bad. They thought Kevin Love was the answer but he was not. However, currently they have 3 young and talented players, 2 of which have not reached their full potential and they have a great coach in place. They have executed "the process" in a far quicker and more efficient fashion than Philly and based on coaching and an established guy like Jimmy Butler, they are in a much better situation.

In today's NBA landscape, there's nothing wrong with being excited about hope and potential. It's either that or you have to convert to a fan of one out of 4 or 5 teams.... that's what happens when players get together and create super teams.