Sign in to follow this  
BufordT

Nike is Bowing Out of the Golf Equipment Business

Ha, they do... Well sort of. Now days you see what they call "logo overruns" - which is basically the same thing. Pretty much the exact same ball performance wise, but they have ink imperfections or promotional stamps on them.

I haven't picked up a club in maybe 17 years and I remember my father didn't care what golf ball he used... He would find an X-out and play it...

They are OK, my brother played the project A's for a bit... I got a case of Callaways Hex Chromes as a gift last season and they were OK as well. For the most part if the balls aren't rocks they are fine, but i like the bite on ProV's that just isn't there on the competition

Pro V is my ball but I won't turn down free "players balls" to try out. I used to play Callaway HX tour before going pro v.

Project A might not be correct but I think that's what they are

You've sold me. I've read most of this before in passing, but it was probably a secondary point to whatever my mission was at the given time. I'll grab a dozen this week.

I'm playing Sugar Tree on Saturday. My last time out there, I was ridiculously hungover. Somehow in a fog, I was even through 8. Then I think I made quad on 9. Then my hungover kicked in outside in 100 degree heat, and I shot something like a 50 on the back.

Oh man, I love Sugar Tree. I always go early and stop in Weatherford and eat the breakfast buffet at the Iron Skillet - damn that's good.... I was in Walmart the other day and they were selling the Z-Stars for $32.50 or something crazy like that - I bought a doz. - they are normally $44, but Edwin Watts and Golfsmith has them for $34 sometimes.

I haven't picked up a club in maybe 17 years and I remember my father didn't care what golf ball he used... He would find an X-out and play it...

I actually enjoy playing with people like this - they do it just for the love of the game, it's refreshing.

It's funny: all the 15's lie about being 6's, and all the 3's lie about being 10's.

Oh right. I am not even saying people lie to be better, often the sand baggers lie to have an advantage.

I'm an 18 for 2 years now, no matter what I do it doesnt seem to change. as per my golflogix app

I don't tend to notice much difference between prov1 and prov1x... Off the top of my head I can't tell you my swing speed but I do know it's over 100. But it really varies because sometimes I'll slow the driver swing down purposely when I'm not hitting the shape I want just until I get grooved.

Pro V1s all day long.

But really any super soft golf ball is ok with me. Never felt comfortable wirh nike anything though.

I am fine in the distance department. Tou don't have to worry about me there. (Trump voice).

I don't tend to notice much difference between prov1 and prov1x... Off the top of my head I can't tell you my swing speed but I do know it's over 100. But it really varies because sometimes I'll slow the driver swing down purposely when I'm not hitting the shape I want just until I get grooved.

My swing speed is like 90, I hit my A wedge (gap) 100 on the nose and then of course I don't have backspin, so depending on the greens it can go a lot longer

This isn't a jab at you CBF, I love you man.

BUT

is there anything men lie more about than their handicap?

You can love me and jab at me....in fact, I like it that way after a few drinks. As I get bored with the same ole same ole.

As for handicaps, I know people lie about it. And Cruzer is right. 15's claim they are 6's, and 3's claim they are 10s.

Yet somehow I'm in a golf circle in which nobody even talks about their handicap. In truth, I don't even have one officially. I can just tell you approximately what it is..... Our bet is the same every week. We play Round Robin best ball (Used in foursomes, this is a match-play game where you change partners (carts, opposites, drivers) each six holes for three separate bets.)....So handicaps don't come into it.

I'll tell you where I am completely full of shiit though.....And I've done it here about 50 times in golf threads.....I'm always thiiiiis close and on the verge of a breakthrough which will have me shooting consistently in the 70's and have my handicap in single digits soon. Thing is, I always believe it. Every time. It's only when I see what I wrote from a thread 6 momnths back or whatever that I realize I need to stop claiming that..................But that being said, I really am on the verge now. I have drastically improved my plane so that I won't get stuck anymore. And I've changed my hip turn and gotten rid of my goat humping, which lead to all kinds of inconsistencies.....So now it's real. 70s and single digits. The new norm.

You can love me and jab at me....in fact, I like it that way after a few drinks. As I get bored with the same ole same ole.

As for handicaps, I know people lie about it. And Cruzer is right. 15's claim they are 6's, and 3's claim they are 10s.

Yet somehow I'm in a golf circle in which nobody even talks about their handicap. In truth, I don't even have one. I can just tell you approximately what it is..... Our bet is the same every week. We play Round Robin best ball (Used in foursomes, this is a match-play game where you change partners (carts, opposites, drivers) each six holes for three separate bets.)....So handicaps don't come into it.

I'll tell you where I am completely full of shiit though.....And I've done it here about 50 times in golf threads.....I'm always thiiiiis close and on the verge of a breakthrough which will have me shooting consistently in the 70's and have my handicap in single digits soon. Thing is, I always believe it. Every time. It's only when I see what I wrote from a thread 6 momnths back or whatever that I realize I need to stop claiming that..................But that being said, I really am on the verge now. I have drastically improved my plane so that I won't get stuck anymore. And I've changed my hip turn and gotten rid of my goat humping, which lead to all kinds of inconsistencies.....So now it's real. 70s and single digits. The new norm.

some day we will play and all I do is sh1t on my friends and vice versa. I wouldnt have it any other way

My place is closed for the Senior Club championship this weekend and most of my crew is 50 and over and playing in it. I'm going to have to play with myself. :ninja:

some day we will play and all I do is sh1t on my friends and vice versa. I wouldnt have it any other way

Yep. The Geek Golf Meet.....While I do question if it's wise to disturb the message board feng shui by having people meet, it would be quite a bit of fun.

Yep. The Geek Golf Meet.....While I do question if it's wise to disturb the message board feng shui by having people meet, it would be quite a bit of fun.

:thumbsup:

I'm fine with Texas, I've been to Dallas once.

Seems to be good courses and you and cruzer are already there. I'll talk to my people about getting cruzer a couple day passes to cross the border and come up and meet us

just when it's not crazy hot

I'm fine with Texas, I've been to Dallas once.

Seems to be good courses and you and cruzer are already there. I'll talk to my people about getting cruzer a couple day passes to cross the border and come up and meet us

just when it's not crazy hot

I can double as an Asian if needed.

I can double as an Asian if needed.

good, I need someone good at math to figure out my score after a round

good, I need someone good at math to figure out my score after a round

We had a guy design a computer program.. Usually before the round (but we can amend it later) we enter all the side bets into the computer. Each bet is assigned a number. We normally have about 60 or so in there, sometimes more.. The commish is always in the 1st group so he can man the computer. Each group comes in and their scores are entered into the computer. Once it's all done he just hits a button and whala - all the bets are figured: skins, indi bets, team bets, you name it... Then we have the 'Call of Shame' - the commish calls out each bet and you either get to soak up your glory or hide in disgust... Then he calls out the 1st group of guys, those are the owsies - you come up and pay. Then the winners are called and they come up and grab what they won... We always deduct $$ from the winners, based on how much you won - that goes to the girls for tip.

speaking of, what are the stakes going to be?

remember, I'm a 36 handicap

So confused. Is Cruzer Mexican or asian?

:bandana:

So confused. Is Cruzer Mexican or asian?

Why wasn't black an option? You damn racist. :mad:

My swing speed is like 90, I hit my A wedge (gap) 100 on the nose and then of course I don't have backspin, so depending on the greens it can go a lot longer

Worst part about my game right now is my wedge play.

I played a course called links at lighthouse sound in OCMD. Amazing course. Shot an 81 and only had 2 putts at birdie (made 1) all despite hitting mostly great drives off the tee. Had about 8 holes where I had 70 years or less to the green and just shank ed or skilled my wedge and had to get up and down for par or made a bogey. Should easily put it on the green from there and have shot about 76. Was putting lights out.

Fixed the shanks but in general I don't hit my wedges very far. My gap might go 100. I just sKY them. Been working on flighting them down.

speaking of, what are the stakes going to be?

remember, I'm a 36 handicap

:nono:

I played a course called links at lighthouse sound in OCMD. Amazing course. Shot an 81 and only had 2 putts at birdie (made 1) all despite hitting mostly great drives off the tee. Had about 8 holes where I had 70 years or less to the green and just shank ed or skilled my wedge and had to get up and down for par or made a bogey. Should easily put it on the green from there and have shot about 76. Was putting lights out.

Fixed the shanks but in general I don't hit my wedges very far. My gap might go 100. I just sKY them. Been working on flighting them down.

I play every tee shot to be within 100 to 150 yards (assuming not a par 5)

I want full iron shots for every shot, it's what I'm best at.

I don't hit a ton of drivers

:nono:

is there even such a thing? if you're handicap is 36, why would you have a handicap or know it?

i'd imagine if you're a double bogey golfer, you have A LOT of holes you put down 8 when you got higher

I hardly ever, like ever, hit my wedges full. I will if I have to clear a tree line or if I have to nuke it to just clear a bunker or something, but I hate doing it. My stock knockdown wedge is 120, I like that distance more than I do 100.

is there even such a thing? if you're handicap is 36, why would you have a handicap or know it?

i'd imagine if you're a double bogey golfer, you have A LOT of holes you put down 8 when you got higher

I know in my group the most the system will take is double - but they are all single digits. I'm not sure how the system handles 30 pluses.

I hardly ever, like ever, hit my wedges full. I will if I have to clear a tree line or if I have to nuke it to just clear a bunker or something, but I hate doing it. My stock knockdown wedge is 120, I like that distance more than I do 100.

I don't have a "full swing" i take my backswing back to slightly above my hip

I know in my group the most the system will take is double - but they are all single digits. I'm not sure how the system handles 30 pluses.

when I play with people I dont normally play with, we usually play skins. no strokes.

when I play with people I dont normally play with, we usually play skins. no strokes.

If it's a 2-day deal: the 1st day you can do Skins and any silly side bets you want - 2nd day you make handicaps based on your previous day round and make bets from there.

How far out is this exactly and what club do you use?

If it's a 2-day deal: the 1st day you can do Skins and any silly side bets you want - 2nd day you make handicaps based on your previous day round and make bets from there.

This isn't a jab at you CBF, I love you man.

BUT

is there anything men lie more about than their handicap?

The computer we post our scores on at our course has a retarded handicap system. It takes only your top 10 scores and gives you your handicap off of that. I'm currently an 11, yeah I'm not a focking 11. Probably closer to 14 or so.

The computer we post our scores on at our course has a retarded handicap system. It takes only your top 10 scores and gives you your handicap off of that. I'm currently an 11, yeah I'm not a focking 11. Probably closer to 14 or so.

You're an 11 based on the adjustment for being Geek Cup Champion. :thumbsup:

How far out is this exactly and what club do you use?

About 2 dead children away

You're an 11 based on the adjustment for being Geek Cup EDex Champion. :thumbsup:

:mad:

Assuming the hole/risks allows for it, on every hole I'm hitting Driver. Get me closer always.

If it's a choice between a 50/50 shot of knocking your Driver either OB or to 50 yards out, vs confidently hitting a 5 iron to the 150 marker every time, I get it.....But when people say they'd rather have 150 in than 50 in, I believe it's poor thinking. It's about expectation. You fock up the 50 yard shot and leave yourself 30 feet, or you hit a solid 8 iron to 30 feet. Same result, but one feels like failure and one feels nice. And that sticks with folk.

Now there are always exceptions obviously. If I have to carry a hazard and don't have much green to work with, 100 yards is better than 30 yards. But that's obvious stuff.

Golf...I honestly like it more than woman.

But when people say they'd rather have 150 in than 50 in, I believe it's poor thinking. It's about expectation. You fock up the 50 yard shot and leave yourself 30 feet, or

you're so wrong.

I can skull a 50 yard shot 50 yards over the green, I am very unlikely to skull a full gap wedge, so it either goes short (fat) left or right.

I am the best at the world at being less than 100 after a drive and ending up with a 6

Same. It's probably a Texas thing with the wind. When I'm close enough for a wedge, the last thing I want is my ball up in the clouds with that insanity......Clearing a tree line is about the only time I remember hitting a full wedge in the last year.

you're so wrong.

I can skull a 50 yard shot 50 yards over the green, I am very unlikely to skull a full gap wedge, so it either goes short (fat) left or right.

I am the best at the world at being less than 100 after a drive and ending up with a 6

I think most went through that phase of skulling wedges. That's when you learn the bump and run with an 8 iron. It's (almost) impossible to skull it or hit it fat..... And it's much more consistent and accurate than a full 150 yard 6 iron.

Same. It's probably a Texas thing with the wind. When I'm close enough for a wedge, the last thing I want is my ball up in the clouds with that insanity......Clearing a tree line is about the only time I remember hitting a full wedge in the last year.

I can assure you, there is wind in other states too. especially up where I play on the ocean.

Annual Average Wind Speed in US Cities

Austin, Texas 8.5

Boston, Massachusetts 12.3

Matter of fact, Boston is the highest on the list.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/wind-speed-city-annual.php