Sign in to follow this  
Gipaldo

Injuries in football

It really is such a violent sport and the injuries get worse every year. Not just ACL/MCL, but serious injuries that will have long term effects.

If I ever have a son, I wouldn't let him play

Agreed. That Lockett injury makes me ill just watching. Love seeing him at least moving his arms on the cart. Wasn't too disappointed when my 6th grade boy decided to run cross country instead of playing football this year.

• Like 1

I love the game. played the game. got concussions in the game. this was just Co rec league pre high school. I would not allow my boy to do it.

There's really not much to alleviate the fact that as players get bigger and faster, there will be more injuries. Today saw L Bell, Forte, S Smith, K Allen, and K Wright all get hurt to various degrees. This after J Nelson, Charles, and Foster and so many others losing the season or several games like Big Ben, Jeffery, Luck, and McCoy.

It's very unfortunate, but I don't see a solution to it. I understand the concern for kids coming up. I played the game and lost out on a scholarship due to injury. But I will save most of my concern for the younger players in college, high school and on down the line. At least the NFL players are paid very well for their risk. How many of us would take the millions (or even hundreds of thousands) to play for a year or years? It's more than most can make in a career of decades.

And now Marshall tweaked a knee. I need this day to end. Losing players left and right.

Marshall is back, picking up garbage time yards.

Yup, garbage timed me straight to a loss in a 1st place vs 2nd place game. Him, and Chris Ivory's inability to score from the one yard line.

Agreed. That Lockett injury makes me ill just watching. Love seeing him at least moving his arms on the cart. Wasn't too disappointed when my 6th grade boy decided to run cross country instead of playing football this year.

Crap. You scared me dude. I only caught parts of that game here and there, and didn't see my guy Tyler get hurt at all. Didn't see the Ricardo hit either, so I felt a bit ill when I read your post. Small bullet dodged on a bad injury weekend.

Crap. You scared me dude. I only caught parts of that game here and there, and didn't see my guy Tyler get hurt at all. Didn't see the Ricardo hit either, so I felt a bit ill when I read your post. Small bullet dodged on a bad injury weekend.

My buddy texted me Lockett might have literally died. Im like NOOOO are you effing kidding??! Then he said Ricardo. Im like Oh.... less competition.

Any update on Forte

Sounds like mcl

If I had a son I would be on his side if he wanted to play pro football .

My buddy texted me Lockett might have literally died. Im like NOOOO are you effing kidding??! Then he said Ricardo. Im like Oh.... less competition.

LOL, that was my reaction. No! Oh, whew. I mean, poor guy. But whew.

Football was and is a violent contact sport. If you don't like it, don't play it or support it...and don't let your kids play. No problem.

I played it. I liked it. My son is welcome to play.

Life is full of risks. Let boys be boys and men be men.

Football was and is a violent contact sport. If you don't like it, don't play and don't let your kids play. No problem.

Life is full of risks. Let men be men.

Let wimen be men if they want to play?

Let wimen be men if they want to play?

Maybe if they are transtesticle.

And now Marshall tweaked a knee. I need this day to end. Losing players left and right.

I saw that yesterday. I think he was just faking being hurt because he thought they might rule that play as a fumble. Watching the play it didn't look like anything even occurred that could have injured his knee and the way it played out didn't seem to nullify my suspicion. I could be wrong.

I don't get this post. What did I miss? And I watched the game. :dunno:

Dirty hit. Dez Bryant jawing away while an opponent laid lifeless on the field :dunno:

Football was and is a violent contact sport. If you don't like it, don't play it or support it...and don't let your kids play. No problem.

Life is full of risks. Let boys be boys and men be men.

One of my boys got a concussion is his 1st year in football, in 5th grade. We didn't let him play again until 7th grade, a full 18 months off. 2nd week into 7th grade he hit somebody and again had symptoms. Missed a couple of games, then hurt his hand outside of football and missed a couple more. Got to play the last 2-3 games. Fast forward to this season. 1st week of practice laid another hit and had headaches and will get to play 1 game, the last one of the season, and will be lucky to get 3-4 plays in it. All this because his 5th grade coach played his team "up" in practice vs a team that was all 2 yrs older to get ready for a particularly physical opponent coming up. He tried to take on a fullback who was 50 lbs heavier and took a knee to the helmet that has never healed. Originally we saw loss of balance, vision issues, mood changes, sensitivity to light, slight depression, irritability...you name it. The injuries in subsequent seasons have been headaches mostly, but still scary. He wants to play, but as a Dad I don't want to see Jahvid Best lying in the endzone only with my kid in the jersey.

One of my boys got a concussion is his 1st year in football, in 5th grade. We didn't let him play again until 7th grade, a full 18 months off. 2nd week into 7th grade he hit somebody and again had symptoms. Missed a couple of games, then hurt his hand outside of football and missed a couple more. Got to play the last 2-3 games. Fast forward to this season. 1st week of practice laid another hit and had headaches and will get to play 1 game, the last one of the season, and will be lucky to get 3-4 plays in it. All this because his 5th grade coach played his team "up" in practice vs a team that was all 2 yrs older to get ready for a particularly physical opponent coming up. He tried to take on a fullback who was 50 lbs heavier and took a knee to the helmet that has never healed. Originally we saw loss of balance, vision issues, mood changes, sensitivity to light, slight depression, irritability...you name it. The injuries in subsequent seasons have been headaches mostly, but still scary. He wants to play, but as a Dad I don't want to see Jahvid Best lying in the endzone only with my kid in the jersey.

Yikes! and so young too.

I'd honestly just pull him from football. a persons health isnt worth the sacrafice at this age.

Its one thing if you are in college and have a shot at a million dollar contract in the NFL. At that point there is a return for the risk. but at this point there isnt.

and it's clear he isnt healed, so I think you really have no choice.

I've been saying this for years, and everyone says I am ridiculous. CHANGE the regulations of the game from the top down!

Why can't they change the padding, make it thicker, demand more protection for these players? Why can't they mandate these things? Add padding, and force the players to wear them or they don't to play.........period.

The naysayers say, "But it will slow them down." So what! Maybe they need slowed down. The game was exciting in 1945 when not every player ran a 4.3 40.

What will it take to affect change in this regard?

I've been saying this for years, and everyone says I am ridiculous. CHANGE the regulations of the game from the top down!

Why can't they change the padding, make it thicker, demand more protection for these players? Why can't they mandate these things? Add padding, and force the players to wear them or they don't to play.........period.

The naysayers say, "But it will slow them down." So what! Maybe they need slowed down. The game was exciting in 1945 when not every player ran a 4.3 40.

What will it take to affect change in this regard?

most injuries do not happen due to lack of padding.. head, knee, ankles, achillies, so on can not be prevented with thicker padding

Yikes! and so young too.

I'd honestly just pull him from football. a persons health isnt worth the sacrafice at this age.

Its one thing if you are in college and have a shot at a million dollar contract in the NFL. At that point there is a return for the risk. but at this point there isnt.

and it's clear he isnt healed, so I think you really have no choice.

Game this week will likely be the last of his "career". Sad part is, he's a damned good little LB.

most injuries do not happen due to lack of padding.. head, knee, ankles, achillies, so on can not be prevented with thicker padding

More padding won't prevent all injuries, but a lot of them it would especially the knees.

More padding won't prevent all injuries, but a lot of them it would especially the knees.

Padding won't prevent knee injuries. Most of the time the injuries that occur to knees are because of weight and angles. Bruises happen from direct shots, but most substantial knee injuries are leg at a weird angle and too much weight on it, or getting rolled up on by massive bodies.

Put these guys back in leather helmets and they will stop using their heads as weapons. Get rid of the concussions, neck and back injuries caused by people leading with their heads and football won't eat itself with lawsuits.

I retired 1-1 from (extremely low-level) MMA fighting. My first fight (after years in martial arts, but 6 months into MMA) left me unconscious after the back of my skull disagreed with the corner of a speaker sitting next to the ring. Woke up within seconds, sat for a bit, went on to win my next match. Was putting on my blue jeans after the tournament and they looked lemon yellow. I took that as a bad sign. I luckily have escaped any lasting effects, but there was a while when there were very minor issues of the same headache variety. I know other guys who've had worse.

I don't think it's a bad call to pull him out. Brain > Football

Actually, there has been and continues to be really remarkable advances in helmet technology--it's not just a matter of 'more' padding, but more effective kinds of padding. Sure you can't really pad a knee very well, but I can have a productive life if I'm unlucky enough to need major reconstructive knee surgery at 30. I'm unlikely to have a productive life if I need brain surgery at the same age.

Even just improving helmets will be a big step. (And there are people out there working to design better helmets.)

Put these guys back in leather helmets and they will stop using their heads as weapons. Get rid of the concussions, neck and back injuries caused by people leading with their heads and football won't eat itself with lawsuits.

Well, yeah, they'll learn...but only after the league is absolutely littered with dead guys for a year or two. Think of James Harrison--was considering retiring after all these recent changes, and his claim was that, at speed and in the game, you can't change reflexes you've been training your whole life.

You put guys in leather helmets next week, you'll have people killed. Literally. And they won't be able to change until people who've been playing with leather helmets since grade school become pros. :/

Game this week will likely be the last of his "career". Sad part is, he's a damned good little LB.

Sorry to hear that. I bet he is crushed. As I stated before, I understand and have no issue with parents who choose to not let their kids play. It's understandable. There will be injuries. It just happens to be a risk I deem worth taking for the benefits that football provides a kid.

We have been playing this game for over 100 years. It is a great game (I would argue - the best) that, again, does involve risks. I support measures that provide additional safety....but not those that dramatically alter the game we love.

I played back in the 80's. I am still in contact with many of my old teammates. The camaraderie you establish is irreplaceable. You go to war with the guys every Friday night. We played hard-hitting football, in practice and games. None of us have any lingering negative effects, thank God.

Let's be honest though....this has become a hot-button issue. I don't think the hitting at the Jr. High/High School level is any more violent than 20-30 years ago. Helmets and pads are better, and refs are less lenient of dirty hits. Coaches (most) teach safer hitting. These are all good things.

However, it will ALWAYS be a violent sport....and that's okay.

Sorry to hear that. I bet he is crushed. As I stated before, I understand and have no issue with parents who choose to not let their kids play. It's understandable. There will be injuries. It just happens to be a risk I deem worth taking for the benefits that football provides a kid.

Doubly hard. He's got a twin brother that still gets to play a lot and, in all honesty, is probably not as good. The would have made one heck of an inside/outside LB tandem.

<_<

Doubly hard. He's got a twin brother that still gets to play a lot and, in all honesty, is probably not as good. The would have made one heck of an inside/outside LB tandem.

<_<

Ouch. I've got twin FB playing nephews, QB and WR. Would suck if only one couldn't play.

Still, there are other sports. Baseball, that 'soccer' the kids talk about so much, track and field. Buy him a bike and some swim goggles and sign him up for a triathlon :)

Ouch. I've got twin FB playing nephews, QB and WR. Would suck if only one couldn't play.

Still, there are other sports. Baseball, that 'soccer' the kids talk about so much, track and field. Buy him a bike and some swim goggles and sign him up for a triathlon :)

Eh, probably last game for both. I don't want either of them playing in HS. Sort of a waste seeing how they're projected to be 6'1" and 220 ish. :doh:

Please I don't want to watch flag football , the players know the dangers of playing this game and they choose to do so , sorry but I already think the game has been watered down enough , next will be flag football .

Eh, probably last game for both. I don't either of them playing in HS. Sort of a waste seeing how they're projected to be 6'1" and 220 ish. :doh:

6'1"/220? Probably ignore my triathlon suggestion :) Olympic lifting and/or track and field. Or still baseball. That's where the really easy money is.