Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Preseason Week 1 Observations

Dalvin Cook (5-13, 4-30), Sammy Watkins (4-39), Jonathan Williams (4-39), Leonard Fournette (9-31-1) Terrance West (5-23-1) getting extensive action.

A definite sign of Throwback Thursday:

Just watched Victor Cruz with a touchdown reception (from Trubisky), followed by his trademark salsa dance.

Felt like I was in the Wayback machine. : )

ETA: Trubisky's looking good.

Dalvin Cook (5-13, 4-30), Sammy Watkins (4-39), Jonathan Williams (4-39), Leonard Fournette (9-31-1) Terrance West (5-23-1) getting extensive action.

Per Roto, Jonathan Williams suffered a hamstring injury tonight. : /

Austin Carr is making the 53-man roster. The fact that kid wasn't drafted is an absolute travesty. His TD catch wasn't even the best catch he had tonight. He had a sideline grab earlier (i think that very drive) that was absolutely incredible.

Link

Injury doesn't sound too bad...

Running back Jonathan Williams hurt his hamstring Thursday night against the Minnesota Vikings, the Buffalo Bills' coach said, and wasn't sure if the injury would cause him to miss any time.

Just a few minutes later, though, Williams had good news – saying his injury was "not bad at all" and that he "could have kept playing if they needed me to." As it turns out, there was no need for Williams to get back in the lineup. This was the first exhibition game of the season, after all, and the end result – a 17-10 win for the Vikings in front of 60,459 at New Era Field – wasn't all that important.

The Browns Kizer looked good in his preseason debut. Not amazing, but good.

Peppers looked viable as a good return man.

Leonard Fournette might be the real deal, but Jax's OLine wasn't giving him much to work with and if he runs like that during every regular season game, he'll be hurt by week 8.

He was nailing guys hard, but there were no real holes to speak of. The good news he looks like he'll be getting the GL touches, as one would expect.

The true benefactor might be Allen Robinson. They're gonna stack the box all day.

The Vikings are committed to Dalvin Cook and I was not impressed (as a Vikings fan). Our OLine still sucks. Bad. No protection and no holes for Cook.

I f'ing hate our dink/dunk game plan. It's just boring to watch and every game comes down to grind it out/defense. Last year our defense gave up about week 8 because the offense couldn't do squat.

I had Dalvin as one of my favorite sleepers because he's clearly talented, and it's nice to see the Vikings brass aren't stupid and know to get him the ball, but I just don't see much has changed from last season.

I realize it's only week 1 of the preseason, but they do not look improved over last year and last year was brutal to suffer through.

• Like 1

The Vikings are committed to Dalvin Cook and I was not impressed (as a Vikings fan). Our OLine still sucks. Bad. No protection and no holes for Cook.

I had Dalvin as one of my favorite sleepers because he's clearly talented, and it's nice to see the Vikings brass aren't stupid and know to get him the ball, but I just don't see much has changed from last season.

Thanks for this perspective. I had him down as insurance in case some of my other choices were gone by pick no. XX. But for PPR leagues, 4 catches for 30 yards isn't bad. Double that over the course of a game and you've got a base you can work with...something that a dink and dunk gameplan can feed.

ETA: Trubisky's looking good.

A refreshing development that translates for me into less concern that defenses will stack the box against Jordan Howard as Trubisky comes on the scene later in the season and more interest in drafting Cameron Meredith.

Leonard Fournette might be the real deal, but Jax's OLine wasn't giving him much to work with and if he runs like that during every regular season game, he'll be hurt by week 8.

He was nailing guys hard, but there were no real holes to speak of. The good news he looks like he'll be getting the GL touches, as one would expect.

The true benefactor might be Allen Robinson. They're gonna stack the box all day.

I f'ing hate our dink/dunk game plan. It's just boring to watch and every game comes down to grind it out/defense. Last year our defense gave up about week 8 because the offense couldn't do squat.

I realize it's only week 1 of the preseason, but they do not look improved over last year and last year was brutal to suffer through.

It's only week 1 of the preseason.

there are plenty of experiments happening and this may not be a true indicator of what's to come.

If the line is still leaky and terrible in week 4 then you have my full permission to talk gloom and doom.

I'm not saying the line will be great, I'm just saying give em a chance.

There was alot of people touting Williams as the better RB between him and Collins last year. Admittedly I was not one of them. But at this stage of the game. I was clearly wrong on this Razorback backfield.

Need to start taking a longer look at Tarik Cohen with the Bears.....esp Howard drafters. This kid could be special. Came from little NC A&T college, and shattered every record, of course. Bears drafted him in the 4th.

He ain't very big, but he runs with purpose and lightning speed/cuts. I think he had the fastest 40 yard combine speed among RB's with 4.42. Looked fantastic last night, running both inside and outside. Reminds me a lot of Sproles.

Oh yeah.....he can catch the ball.

• Like 2

It's only week 1 of the preseason.

there are plenty of experiments happening and this may not be a true indicator of what's to come.

If the line is still leaky and terrible in week 4 then you have my full permission to talk gloom and doom.

I'm not saying the line will be great, I'm just saying give em a chance.

Hence, why I stated "It's only week 1 of the preseason".

I get it...it doesn't mean EVERYTHING. But I'd rather have them show improvement out of the gate, than hope they improve.

It depends on how rose-colored your glasses are I guess.

I've been watching the Vikings for over 30 years. They looked like sh1t. And I know what sh1t looks like.

Need to start taking a longer look at Tarik Cohen with the Bears.....esp Howard drafters. This kid could be special. Came from little NC A&T college, and shattered every record, of course. Bears drafted him in the 4th.

He ain't very big, but he runs with purpose and lightning speed/cuts. I think he had the fastest 40 yard combine speed among RB's with 4.42. Looked fantastic last night, running both inside and outside. Reminds me a lot of Sproles.

Oh yeah.....he can catch the ball.

You can't help but love this kid after knowing him. Had a chance to watch him at camp. Not only is he a class act, but he's athletic & gifted w/ football IQ as they come. He's a special talent.

I dunno. He has Bortles throwing to him. I don't know if that factored into it or not but last year his stats were horrible and it was cause he only caught a few of the long passes that were thrown his way. Not sure if they were bad throws or he just dropped them. He gives me cause to pause

Anxious to see how Mixon looks tonight.

Just watched the tape. It's obvious he's the best back on the team. I see no reason the Bengals wouldn't get the guy 20 touches although Marvin Lewis could screw it up.

Have been liking Joe Williams since his Senior year at Utah and was not disappointed by his week 1 showing. He looked great (7/60) in limited action.....and it wasn't against scrubs. It was during the first half against the Kansas City D.

The kid has it. Now we'll have to see if things can fall right for him this year in SF. Fortunately, with the Hyde-cut talk fading away, Joe Williams is being talked about less, with his ADP remaining static or slowly falling. Great bench stash that you should find some room for.

Rotoworld is now calling Hunt's 8th round ado a little inflated. I thought he was a lock to jump Spencer Ware??

Rotoworld is being a prisoner of the moment. Hunt hardly had a chance to show anything. This thing in KC is going to take some time b/c Reid likes Ware.

Anxious to see how Mixon looks tonight.

i only saw a couple plays. but he looked good to me.

It's not that bold but I say Bortles has his best year and ARob bounces back with a top 7-10 season.

I took Hunt pretty high in a rookie draft and that said, that's Ware's backfield for now. I cant recall Andy Reid ever rushing a rookie into action over an established vet

I took Hunt pretty high in a rookie draft and that said, that's Ware's backfield for now. I cant recall Andy Reid ever rushing a rookie into action over an established vet

Didn't you hear that somehow Hunt Will overtake the better, more experienced running back Spencer Ware?

Going into preseason I was really high on Mixon, Hunt, Williams and Perine. At this point, I not very high on Hunt, but I still think he could be the starter sooner rather than later. As for Perine, he's not going to be the starter any time soon.

All aboard the Joe Williams hype train! Chooo Chooooooo!!!!

Also, Ty Montgomery in GB looked meh.

I have to admit that Boykin (Hawks) looks like a legit QB. Kid is slippery....and can flat sling the rock.

I have to admit that Boykin (Hawks) looks like a legit QB. Kid is slippery....and can flat sling the rock.

It was certainly a relief to see him performing well last night, after all of the camp rumors had him and A.Davis supposedly functioning at sub-par levels (although Davis did fail to impress in relief).

A vague theory about this seems to be forming. One writer likened Treyvone's style to that of someone in the middle of a burning building, getting the ball out before the roof collapsed. Others have begun to note that he actually seems to perform better when the stress level is increased. If you watch him with that in mind, it starts to make sense.

Golladay looked great.

Sssshhhh. Sshh. We're not talking about that. Nothing to see there. Just a nobody that nobody wanted at the NFL draft and nobody here or on any FF anywhere wants.

It was certainly a relief to see him performing well last night, after all of the camp rumors had him and A.Davis supposedly functioning at sub-par levels (although Davis did fail to impress in relief).

A vague theory about this seems to be forming. One writer likened Treyvone's style to that of someone in the middle of a burning building, getting the ball out before the roof collapsed. Others have begun to note that he actually seems to perform better when the stress level is increased. If you watch him with that in mind, it starts to make sense.

Boykin looked good in relief. And Walsh also looked good kicking. I think all his kickoffs even went out of the end zone. Or at least most of them anyways. Backup QB and where Walsh's head was at was my 2 biggest concerns. Everything else will work itself out.

On a side note. Carson looked good. Deep dynasty guys, STASH THIS KID!