Vikings4ever

Blaine Gabbert to the 9ers

9ers need a backup qb

They got one

So is Jared Lorenzan but I wouldn't want him either

just no upside to this move .

9ers need a backup qb

They got one

They could have thrown darts at every FA backup qb in the league and done the same or prob better and kept their 6th rnd pick. Id take a bum with unknown potential over just a bum.

Harbaugh resurrected Alex smith into a starter

He'll do ok w Blaine

He'll do ok w Blaine

No, he wont. Especially when he isnt even the coach after this year.

He'll do ok w Blaine

In 2010, they were looking closely at QBs early and obviously saw something they liked in Gabbert. They probably were looking to grab a QB in the later rounds this year and figured at the cost of a late 6th, Gabbert has more potential than anyone in this draft. Worth a look anyway.

I love how people are so certain that he can't be even a solid back up QB........... :doh:

It is a late pick, but a complete waste. We all know what Gabbert is at this point, and nobody would ever want him to be at the helm of their team at any given time. The Niners could have snagged someone late in the draft to groom if Kaep decides he needs over 20 mil next year or they could have grabbed a veteran FA as a more solid backup.

You never want to waste any pick on a player you hope never plays - now or in the future.

It is a late pick, but a complete waste. We all know what Gabbert is at this point, and nobody would ever want him to be at the helm of their team at any given time. The Niners could have snagged someone late in the draft to groom if Kaep decides he needs over 20 mil next year or they could have grabbed a veteran FA as a more solid backup.

You never want to waste any pick on a player you hope never plays - now or in the future.

Interesting theory. WE all know it? I wasn't aware that WE know everything about every player without even the slightest chance that WE could be wrong.

Good to know though. Thanks..............

Interesting theory. WE all know it? I wasn't aware that WE know everything about every player without even the slightest chance that WE could be wrong.

Good to know though. Thanks..............

I don't mind if you keep holding on hope, but Gabbert was a good prospect when he was drafted in the first round, but since then he has shown no potential to be a starting QB at the NFL level. Can he suddenly turn it around and start to show promise again? Sure... But how often has a QB stunk it up in their first three years to come back to relevance later in his career with the same or different team. I am sure it has happened before, but I can think of any at the top of my head.

The 49'ers couldn't have used all their draft picks anyway. They had the same issue last season. Many of their draft picks won't make the final roster, so why not at least kick the tires on Gabbert? I highly doubt they did this deal for anything other than that reason. He fits in their offense as he can scramble and has a strong arm. He can't hit the broad side of a barn, but he has arm strength.... lol Maybe they wanted to see what he could do behind a real offensive line. Maybe they like the name Blaine. Regardless, they are getting him much cheaper than it would have cost to go after a "real" backup QB and he sorta fits their offense. I say sorta because I'm not sure he fits any offense. That deer in the headlights look he gets when dropping back to pass is not promising. If he didn't like taking hits while in Jacksonvile, he's not going to like playing against Seattle, St. Louis and Arizona, should the need arise. I'll watch those games though. No doubt they would be entertaining. lol

I don't mind if you keep holding on hope, but Gabbert was a good prospect when he was drafted in the first round, but since then he has shown no potential to be a starting QB at the NFL level. Can he suddenly turn it around and start to show promise again? Sure... But how often has a QB stunk it up in their first three years to come back to relevance later in his career with the same or different team. I am sure it has happened before, but I can think of any at the top of my head.

I can't find any 1st round QB's that who bottomed out and then came back to do well. There were some later round QB's drafted that came on later in their career, but none that were a top 10 pick that I can find. Some QB's just don't like to be hit. Shuler, Carr, Gabbert.... Just a few. You don't even have to hit them, just provide an adequate rush and give them the impression they may be hit.

I can't find any 1st round QB's that who bottomed out and then came back to do well. There were some later round QB's drafted that came on later in their career, but none that were a top 10 pick that I can find. Some QB's just don't like to be hit. Shuler, Carr, Gabbert.... Just a few. You don't even have to hit them, just provide an adequate rush and give them the impression they may be hit.

Alex Smith was pretty well written off. Eli Manning was looking like a bust. Kerry Collins pretty well revived his career when he went to the Giants. Jeff George revived his career a few times, as did Testaverde. Tommy Maddox is going to throw for 5,000 yards any time now...

Most of the time, QBs who bust, bust hard. I'd put money on Gabbert doing the same. But it's not unheard of for a bust of a QB to return to be a viable starter. There's also QB busts who turn into viable backups/spot starters.

Alex Smith was pretty well written off. Eli Manning was looking like a bust. Kerry Collins pretty well revived his career when he went to the Giants. Jeff George revived his career a few times, as did Testaverde. Tommy Maddox is going to throw for 5,000 yards any time now...

Most of the time, QBs who bust, bust hard. I'd put money on Gabbert doing the same. But it's not unheard of for a bust of a QB to return to be a viable starter. There's also QB busts who turn into viable backups/spot starters.

Well said. And this guy knows all about backup and old QB's. He's a Vikes fan.

To counter, Gabbert was nothing special in college. At least the other guys you mentioned were very good college QBs, particularly Alex Smith who is germaine here. I never understood why people liked Gabbert so much since he showed so little in college. People just love combine numbers I guess.

In 2010, they were looking closely at QBs early and obviously saw something they liked in Gabbert. They probably were looking to grab a QB in the later rounds this year and figured at the cost of a late 6th, Gabbert has more potential than anyone in this draft. Worth a look anyway.

I love how people are so certain that he can't be even a solid back up QB........... :doh:

So because gabbert Was a high pick there are no late qbs who can be better? He blows cack and isnt even near the same type of qb kap is. The niners are going to have to run a diff offense for gabby.

Seems like an Alex Smith clone... overdrafted college system QB. Was on a terrible team, now on a very strong one. for a 6th round pick it isn't a huge risk

So because gabbert Was a high pick there are no late qbs who can be better? He blows cack and isnt even near the same type of qb kap is. The niners are going to have to run a diff offense for gabby.

I didn't say it had anything to do with him being a high pick. I said they had been looking at QBs in 2010 and probably liked something they saw and thought he had more potential than late round prospects this year. It was a theory on why they made the deal for him. Learn to read before you respond.

Regardless if you think he sucks or not, you are wrong about SF running a different offense if the back up has to play. The Pistol is a just a part of their offense, not what they run out of 100 percent. Rest is standard Pro offense. Your back-up doesn't need to be a clone of your starter.

I didn't say it had anything to do with him being a high pick. I said they had been looking at QBs in 2010 and probably liked something they saw and thought he had more potential than late round prospects this year. It was a theory on why they made the deal for him. Learn to read before you respond.

Regardless if you think he sucks or not, you are wrong about SF running a different offense if the back up has to play. The Pistol is a just a part of their offense, not what they run out of 100 percent. Rest is standard Pro offense. Your back-up doesn't need to be a clone of your starter.

Where did i say they had to be clones? Learn to read before you respond. :doh:

The rest is a pro offense with Kaep, a QB that can only make one read? The Niners run a pistol offense, and the rest of the plays are quick tosses to Bouldin or Davis.

The rest is a pro offense with Kaep, a QB that can only make one read? The Niners run a pistol offense, and the rest of the plays are quick tosses to Bouldin or Davis.

That's totally wrong............

He has all the measurables you could want and comes cheap. Allow Harbaugh a preseason to kick the tires and see if he can get Gabbert's head on straight and salvage him. If not cut him. No loss.

If Kappernick gets hurt do you really want to depend on a guy that sees ghosts in the pocket every time he drops back? I would rather draft a backup than give Gabbert the chance to kill my team.

If there is some talent there a good landing spot and a fair price for a backup

If Kappernick gets hurt do you really want to depend on a guy that sees ghosts in the pocket every time he drops back? I would rather draft a backup than give Gabbert the chance to kill my team.

:thumbsup:

I dont know what stretch of games people saw a glimmer of talent in this guy, but i sure missed it.

I dont know what stretch of games people saw a glimmer of talent in this guy, but i sure missed it.

Preseason 2012, the year after his rookie season, it looked for a while like he may not be a disaster after all.

Preseason 2012, the year after his rookie season, it looked for a while like he may not be a disaster after all.

ahhh yes...preseason....where the good players don't play till the last game and he was burning people who would be bagging groceries by weeks end.

Gabbert cost the Niners nothing and he's going from maybe the most talent bereft team in the league to a Super Bowl contender with a great D and running game. I think Kaep has been pretty durable too so it's not like he will even be asked to play much.

Gabbert cost the Niners nothing and he's going from maybe the most talent bereft team in the league to a Super Bowl contender with a great D and running game. I think Kaep has been pretty durable too so it's not like he will even be asked to play much.

They traded a draft pick for him so i wouldnt say nothing. And they have to actually pay the useless sob.

They traded a draft pick for him so i wouldnt say nothing. And they have to actually pay the useless sob.

Odds are in the 6th round you get a QB with inferior physical tools and no starting experience. No idea what they're paying him but I guess it isn't much.

Odds are in the 6th round you get a QB with inferior physical tools and no starting experience. No idea what they're paying him but I guess it isn't much.

I would say the most valuable thing they have to give up is a roster spot for this waste.

If the lions brought gabbert in to hold the clipboard for stafford I would be upset. He is how you say....a no talent asssclown.

If the lions brought gabbert in to hold the clipboard for stafford I would be upset. He is how you say....a no talent asssclown.

I don't like no talent assclonws taking up roster spots on my favorite teams. It serves no purpose.

I would say the most valuable thing they have to give up is a roster spot for this waste.

Great point.

The 9'ers have plenty of draft picks this year and needed a backup QB. Not sure why the outrage by non-9'er fans. If you think it hurts this perennial SB contender you should be happy.

:dunno: