Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

++ UPDATE - DeSean Jackson signed by Redskins

Reports are DeSean Jackson will not return with the Eagles this season. They are looking for a 3rd round pick for him. Where do you think would be a good fit for him? I say the Colts would be the team however the 49ers would probably win the NFC and the Superbowl with him. He is a west coast guy and the rivalry between the 49ers and Seahawks is the best in the league right now. I'd like to see that offense against the Seahawk's defense.

he really likes Vick, if Vick goes to the Jets maybe he follows. 2 reasons he wont go there is that he probably wants a chance to win and the other is that I bet his price is too high. He really needs to go to Caro

Reports are DeSean Jackson will not return with the Eagles this season. They are looking for a 3rd round pick for him. Where do you think would be a good fit for him? I say the Colts would be the team however the 49ers would probably win the NFC and the Superbowl with him. He is a west coast guy and the rivalry between the 49ers and Seahawks is the best in the league right now. I'd like to see that offense against the Seahawk's defense.

i think the panthers have the biggest need for him imo

watch the panthers grab him and get Britt and Britt gets it together... they would be in great shape along with that D to make another run for it.

The colts and niners have fast smaller wrs in hilton and patton. No need for another.

Bad analysis - DJax is far better than Hilton and Patton

Bad analysis - DJax is far better than Hilton and Patton

He is better, but so much better a team is willing to take a decent cap hit? I dont think the difference is big enough to warrant the trade and signing.

he really likes Vick, if Vick goes to the Jets maybe he follows. 2 reasons he wont go there is that he probably wants a chance to win and the other is that I bet his price is too high. He really needs to go to Caro

I dont think djax gets to pick where he goes. I also doubt he goes to the best team as he is more of a pay me type of player. He goes to the highest bidder once he is a FA.

I agree with FBN that neither the 9ers nor the colts are good fits. The 9ers more so, but there is no way they've got room for 10 mil a year for another receiver.

Jets, Car, and OAK make way more sense, as they are so bad at the position that even in a deep WR draft year it would make sense for them to add djax and a rookie.

CAR would be the best able to utilize him given they've got the QB position stabilized.

JETs would get a boost from Decker by adding him, also. I don't think Decker would be too pissed to be the second fiddle salary wise, and their target potential would be about even I would think.

OAK would.... I don't know. Also sign Vick? Poor Oakland.

The third rounder asking price is reasonable, imo. There are enough teams that fit that it balances the huge price tag that would keep him from being slotted in as a second WR in many more offenses. For instance...

If DJax's salary wasn't so high, it would be interesting to see him play in CLE, but that's never going to happen.

Carolina is desparate for WR, but they don't have $10M cap space either .. unless they do some cutting *shrugs*

Jets have the $ and Vick throwing Djax + Decker sounds pretty good. At least if they trade for Djax it would seem their chances of signing Vick go up.

Oakland definitely has the cap space if not a QB to get him the ball ... I suppose they could also sign Vick as mentioned.

remember Oak just picked up James Jones, DJax and Jones would make a great pairing like DJax and Decker

The reason why I said the 49ers and Colts, they are playoff calibar teams and paying their QB's on their rookie contract. It's best to do it now before they take a hit on the cap.

The reason why I said the 49ers and Colts, they are playoff calibar teams and paying their QB's on their rookie contract. It's best to do it now before they take a hit on the cap.

At $10m I'm not sure anybody but the Raidera can absorb his salary.

Also, how many teams are going to want to trade for a highly paid WR who gets pissy about his contract every couple years?

Here are the teams with tons of cap space left (as of a few days back)

Oakland Raiders: $32,299,198 18-22M? (+schaub)
Cleveland Browns: $31,828,788
New York Jets: $27,899,282 31.2 M (+vick -sanchez)
Cincinnati Bengals: $26,607,666
Jacksonville Jaguars: $25,239,764
Miami Dolphins: $19,185,752

Oakland has so much cap space that the 10M cap hit wouldn't be a big problem .. as long as the pick they give up is reasonable. EDIT: adjusted Oakland's cap for the acquisition of Matt 'pick 6' Schaub. I saw his cap # at 14M, but I think that was for the Texans ... I think some of the cap hit for the signing bonus stays with them instead of going to Oakland, but not sure. They still have a ton of cap room & likely will get Schaub to restructure (or they need Al Davis back in charge).

He also makes tons of sense for the Jets & Cleveland, but I question whether the latter would pay for him.

The Bengals don't seem to be in a hurry to pay anyone this offseason & the Dolphins likely don't want another high priced WR deva ;)

The Jags already have a prima donna WR with issues, but maybe they like DJack's better? I dunno, they seem to want to build the team via defense.

When Jackson entered the league I was not a fan - the instance where he dropped the football prior to crossing the goal line made me even dislike him even more. But after seeing the following video I changed my mind about DJax. Where-ever he ends up, I'll be rooting for him.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7189591

Is the bengals number accurate? Wtf are they waiting for? Only thing i can think is they want to make sure there is enough cap space for dalton. If i were the bengals i would be seriously considering a trade for djax.

Oakland will over pay for him. You heard it hear first.

Is the bengals number accurate? Wtf are they waiting for? Only thing i can think is they want to make sure there is enough cap space for dalton. If i were the bengals i would be seriously considering a trade for djax.

Have to resign Dalton & Green this year since they'll be in the last years of their rookie contracts. (Green will get the 5th year option exercised for 1st round picks as stated recently by Mike Brown). That's about $10 million a piece for each guy. As a Bengals fan, I hope they draft a QB in the 3/4th round that has potential to outplay Dalton. A lot of rumors indicate they're interested in Aaron Murray out of Georgia.

I was hoping they would draft DJax in 2008 but they opted for Jerome Simpson instead & Philly took DJax 3 picks later.

Dalton can't throw the ball far enough downfield to hit DJax on a long bomb anyways.

The whole story is so dumb. :doh:

In not a huge DJax fan. I love how he opens up the field for his teammates with his speed and think he's a very good receiver. But he has some limitations as a player: not very good in the redzone, can't go over the middle and because his game is so dependent on being the fastest guy on the field I wonder if he will continue to be effective as he gets older.

He also will give up on routes, takes a few stupid personal foul penalties per year and is chronically griping about his contract even now thy he's going to make $10 million this year. It gets old.

All that said ... the Eagles are coming off a year when they rebounded from the basement and won the NFC East. They are young and improving in a division of teams that are either aging and in decline, dysfunctional or both. They're flush with cap space, set at every starter position on offense and entering the second year of Chip Kelly's program.

This is a team that should be adding pieces to a porous O to make a run at a Super Bowl right now, not trading one of their best playmakers.

If the Eagles do deal DJax there had better be a damn good reason behind the scenes, and they really better get more than a 3rd round pick for it!

Hopefully they can keep him under control for another year while they groom a rookie and go as far as they can this season.

My two cents.

Well yeah, that's what made the trade block / release scenario so insane in the first place.

You're forgetting a few key components of the situation:

1. Maclin

2. Sproles

3. Ertz

There are guys who are on the team who are hungry for that production. Maclin had better production than DJax and was drafted a few rounds higher last year in fantasy. The coaching staff saw him through the preseason, so they know how he handled the install on offense. Also, DJax doesn't fit Kelly's ideal WR body type.

The message if DJax comes back is clear: know your role. His salary is way too high. They'd probably love him on the team at 6 mil / season and no complaining.

If the offense gets redistributed like they want it to, DJax is looking at an 800 yard season next year. He's likely to be cut after the season if he refuses a paycut. That's why they're trying to get a modest return now.

An extra third rounder would have let them reload RB depth.

Well yeah, that's what made the trade block / release scenario so insane in the first place.

You're forgetting a few key components of the situation:

1. Maclin

2. Sproles

3. Ertz

There are guys who are on the team who are hungry for that production. Maclin had better production than DJax and was drafted a few rounds higher last year in fantasy. The coaching staff saw him through the preseason, so they know how he handled the install on offense. Also, DJax doesn't fit Kelly's ideal WR body type.

The message if DJax comes back is clear: know your role. His salary is way too high. They'd probably love him on the team at 6 mil / season and no complaining.

If the offense gets redistributed like they want it to, DJax is looking at an 800 yard season next year. He's likely to be cut after the season if he refuses a paycut. That's why they're trying to get a modest return now.

An extra third rounder would have let them reload RB depth.

The issue to me it seems is DJax's "me first" attitude. While he is a very solid receiver, he's not an elite WR1 in today's NFL. Unless you have a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall type receiver who can take over a game or have sustained elite production over time, an owner is crazy to pay a receiver $10 million per year.

As The DJax World Turns...

Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly acknowledged Wednesday that he spoke with wide receiver DeSean Jackson "a couple days ago". "We've had a good conversation and we're always going to do what's best for the football team," Kelly said. "But I think he knows where we are, and I know where he is. I feel very comfortable about it. My conversations with him aren't things I think I need to have a conversation with anyone else about." Asked if he wants Jackson on the team, Kelly said, "I like DeSean. DeSean did a really nice job for us [last season]. But we're always going to do what's best for the organization."

Errr, uhhh, sounds like DJax's tweets and calls to teammates yesterday saying that he was staying in Phili may be a little bit of damage control to help increase his trade value. My guess is he's on another team in 2014.

Hearing this on Radio. Apparently DeSean Jackson was released at 12:44pm EST.

Eagles release Pro Bowl wideout DeSean Jackson

In a stunning move, the Philadelphia Eagles released Pro Bowl wide receiver DeSean Jackson on Friday.
The team released the following statement in a tweet: "After careful consideration this offseason, Eagles decide to part ways with DeSean Jackson. The team informed him of his release today."
Jackson had been rumored to be on the trading blocks for weeks.
He was also the subject of a NJ.com report Friday suggesting he had gang connections in Los Angeles.

What an odd move. Dude has a career year, goes to the pro bowl, and then gets cut. While still in his prime, just a couple years after signing an extension.

I guess philly is saying they don't value receivers too much and think anyone can succeed in their system. I suppose that was true of Riley Cooper at least.

What an odd move. Dude has a career year, goes to the pro bowl, and then gets cut. While still in his prime, just a couple years after signing an extension.

I guess philly is saying they don't value receivers too much and think anyone can succeed in their system. I suppose that was true of Riley Cooper.

I just read that the Iggles were worried about his affiliation with gang members. Maybe the Ravens or Bengals can sign him :dunno:

The math is not hard, Jackson was worth 10mil to a bad team, but not to a good one.

I predict the Skins make an offer to him.

I guess philly is saying they don't value receivers too much and think anyone can succeed in their system. I suppose that was true of Riley Cooper at least.

I think it's more about not wanting to deal with his me-first attitude AND have to pay him 10 large to boot.

AND that 10 large thwarted any attempt to trade him as no one else wanted to pay that money along with draft considerations. Now, as a FA, other teams can sign him for the 10 large or less and don't have to give up draft pick.

Maybe, just maybe, this will strike down his ego a little, but doubtful.

DJax has been questioned by police about his association with gang members in LA and the Eagles thought he was a bad guy in the locker room and off the field.

Given his obvious me-first attitude and the off-field rumors, it will be interesting to see what teams are in serious pursuit of him over the next few days. I wonder if Andy Reid thinks his past experience with DJax is enough to take the risk. The Chiefs have an obvious need opposite Dwayne Bowe.

• Like 1

Given his obvious me-first attitude and the off-field rumors, it will be interesting to see what teams are in serious pursuit of him over the next few days. I wonder if Andy Reid thinks his past experience with DJax is enough to take the risk. The Chiefs have an obvious need opposite Dwayne Bowe.

That would be an intriguing fit. I think the Eagles are going to leak a ton of sh1t we haven't heard yet about his associations off the field and locker room attitude over the next few days, and team will be gun shy about handing him another big deal.

And people think Dez is a headcase? Ha, DJax makes Bryant look like an altar boy...... Forget about which teams he might be a fit for - focus more on what teams are going to be willing to pay this guy out the ass.... Big piece of Humble pie coming Jackson's way very soon.