Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

What's the deal with Trufant? I know that he was injured last season; but was he a cap-casualty today or do they think that he's just not that good anymore? With the Titans losing Cortland Finnegan and with Mike Reinfeldt's connections with many of the Seattle players, I wouldn't be shocked if we made a move for Trufant because of his veteran leadership. If we signed him, he'd probably be our #2 CB after Jason McCourty (who might be the best CB in the league that no one talks about...dude can seriously play).

His back has been the problem. I have no idea if he can come back at the level he used to play at. He was never elite, but was always a very smart, technically sound player. He's a great guy from the state of Washington, so there is a chance he'd take a pay cut to stay in Seattle. Carroll likes huge DB's but he definitely has the most experience of any guy on the roster.

If his back holds up and he goes to a team with a decent pass rush, I think he can still be a solid #2 corner.

Trufant is a casualty today. Sad, since he was a soldier for so many years, and a dam good one. But, the Seahawks are threatening to be a wheeler and dealer in free agency this year.

For the previous poster, he has been injury prone the last few years. With the youth movement and the emergence of a bunch of talented defensive secondary players, Trufant was a luxury Seattle didn't feel they needed. He would have been a nickel guy for us this year, yet if healthy can still start in this league. I could be off, but he seemed to get a reputation of playing off the WR too far at the line the last few year, much like many older corners do to compensate for a little bit of loss of speed due to wear and tear.

Our 1st priority should be re-signing Red Bryant. He's the hub of that defense and the reason why the Hawks are so tough to run against. The 2nd priority should be getting Mario Williams. He would create instant pass rush, but if we can't sign him, then we can take 1-2 DE's in the draft instead. The 3rd priority should be Hawthorne.

I do not want to see a QB drafted in rd1, unless we've traded down. Tannehill is not worth the #12 pick, and no one else is either. Would rather see Osweiler or Cousins taken in rd2, or maybe a guy like Chandler Harnish in rd5.

Assuming we sign Red, do not sign Mario, and do not trade down, here's a draft slate I would be happy with:

1.12 Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama (of course, he could be gone by then; I'd also accept Mevin Ingram from S. Carolina here instead)

2.11 Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan St.

3.12 Lavonte David, LB, Stanford

4.11 Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas

5.12 Brandon Bolden, RB, Mississippi

6.11 Micah Pellerin, CB, Hampton

7.12 Rishard Mathews, WR, Nevada

Our 1st priority should be re-signing Red Bryant. He's the hub of that defense and the reason why the Hawks are so tough to run against. The 2nd priority should be getting Mario Williams. He would create instant pass rush, but if we can't sign him, then we can take 1-2 DE's in the draft instead. The 3rd priority should be Hawthorne.

I do not want to see a QB drafted in rd1, unless we've traded down. Tannehill is not worth the #12 pick, and no one else is either. Would rather see Osweiler or Cousins taken in rd2, or maybe a guy like Chandler Harnish in rd5.

Assuming we sign Red, do not sign Mario, and do not trade down, here's a draft slate I would be happy with:

1.12 Courtney Upshaw, DE, Alabama (of course, he could be gone by then; I'd also accept Mevin Ingram from S. Carolina here instead)

So you're saying we would have T. Jackson, K. Cousins, and Portis at QB???? WOW

We need a QB and that combo does not do it for me!

My priority:

1. Sign either P. Manning or Flynn

2. Sign either Byrant or M. Williams (Or both would be hopefull)

3. #12 pick - Best player (Hopefully D-line)

4. 2nd Round pick - Best player (If that is QB great)

5. 3+ round picks - Draft a young QB and try to groom

QB roster: P. Manning or Flynn / T. jackson, who can be cut next year / Rookie QB to fight it out against Portis

I like this better for the most important possition on the team!

My .02

So you're saying we would have T. Jackson, K. Cousins, and Portis at QB???? WOW

We need a QB and that combo does not do it for me!

My priority:

1. Sign either P. Manning or Flynn

2. Sign either Byrant or M. Williams (Or both would be hopefull)

3. #12 pick - Best player (Hopefully D-line)

4. 2nd Round pick - Best player (If that is QB great)

5. 3+ round picks - Draft a young QB and try to groom

QB roster: P. Manning or Flynn / T. jackson, who can be cut next year / Rookie QB to fight it out against Portis

I like this better for the most important possition on the team!

My .02

Look, maybe we can get Manning, but at what price? What kind of salary cap hit will we take on to sign him, which means even fewer dollars available to get a pass rush? He was supposed to get a $28 million roster bonus with the Colts. Even if he drops a signing bonus a little, his cap hit is going to be enormous, unless we give him an artificially-long contract, and all that does is create the prospect of tons of dead money down the road when Peyton retires in two or three years. And how healthy is he going to be? He was never mobile to begin with and our O-line is still developing its pass blocking. I think the line will be good in time, I just don't know if it's this year.

My take, unless you think Peyton is the only big piece missing to take us to the Super Bowl, don't do it. And I don't think we have the pass rush we need as well.

Schneider has said repeatedly that he won't panic at QB. I interpret that to mean that he won't necessarily throw big dollars at a FA QB. I'd be more ok with Flynn, but everything I'm reading says they have zero interest in Flynn, which is why I didn't include him here.

I don't want to put words in groundhogs mouth, but if I'm reading him correctly, he's saying what I've been saying.

(Go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong also)

But.

Caroll can solidify this D and ST for years (and years) to come, and that's what he does best.

While Schnieder and (Mostly coach Cable) take care of the oline/offense.

If we continue to progress like we have. Next year at this time we're 1 player away from where we want to be, and thats only a QB.

That's a great position to be in, and is in line with our 4 year plan Philly always talks about.

Resign Bryant. Break the bank for Williams. And have a defensive minded draft. Another DE in round 1. Then a couple of LB's in 2 and 3, maybe even 4. (My gut just tells me Hill and Hawthorne are both gone)

I'd rather throw money at Williams. DON'T break away from the game plan, unless Manning wants 100% to be here. And I think our weather will be the factor that says he doesn't.

Look, maybe we can get Manning, but at what price? What kind of salary cap hit will we take on to sign him, which means even fewer dollars available to get a pass rush? He was supposed to get a $28 million roster bonus with the Colts. Even if he drops a signing bonus a little, his cap hit is going to be enormous, unless we give him an artificially-long contract, and all that does is create the prospect of tons of dead money down the road when Peyton retires in two or three years. And how healthy is he going to be? He was never mobile to begin with and our O-line is still developing its pass blocking. I think the line will be good in time, I just don't know if it's this year.

My take, unless you think Peyton is the only big piece missing to take us to the Super Bowl, don't do it. And I don't think we have the pass rush we need as well.

Schneider has said repeatedly that he won't panic at QB. I interpret that to mean that he won't necessarily throw big dollars at a FA QB. I'd be more ok with Flynn, but everything I'm reading says they have zero interest in Flynn, which is why I didn't include him here.

I don't think they are showing there full hand, so I think Flynn is still very much in play. But, I'm sure they are focused in on Manning right now, making Flynn not a focal point or talked about.

When the Hawks say they "won't panic at QB" "And won't morgage the farm" I take that as meaning they will not throw the entire draft away for RG3.

They want to keep rebuilding with draft picks. Signing Manning or Flynn does not stop that. No picks are lost. Just Money. And we are 30 something under the cap and they already said they are in play for Manning. Plus you can be smart about you're contract. Manning isn't all about the money anyway. Getting him to play in Seattle is the problem. But, even IF we have to give a ton of money, we are an instant contender and he makes the entire team better including a hole at DE. (Plus we can still draft to fix that position, which you want to do anyway)

Marion Williams will still command just as many dollars I think, yet we will still continoue to lose with bad QB play. When we have good QB play we usually always win. QB is you're leader and most important possition. We need to fix it. Maybe it's Flynn though? I like both those options myself.

Also, I think Manning will be "incentive based" and no way he gets the same money before his injury.

I'm all for signing M. Williams. But, what if we don't get him? And our QB will still suck. My point - Make QB option #1 with 2 good options out there that don't cost anything but money we have to spend.

I don't want to put words in groundhogs mouth, but if I'm reading him correctly, he's saying what I've been saying.

But.

Caroll can solidify this D and ST for years (and years) to come, and that's what he does best.

If we continue to progress like we have. Next year at this time we're 1 player away from where we want to be, and thats only a QB.

That's a great position to be in, and is in line with our 4 year plan Philly always talks about.

Resign Bryant. Break the bank for Williams. And have a defensive minded draft. Another DE in round 1. Then a couple of LB's in 2 and 3, maybe even 4. (My gut just tells me Hill and Hawthorne are both gone)

I'd rather throw money at Williams. DON'T break away from the game plan, unless Manning wants 100% to be here. And I think our weather will be the factor that says he doesn't.

You can do everything you just said, But leave out M. Williams and plug in the franchise QB in Manning or FLynn, while you have a good shot at them.

You're still building to that plan and improving you're Def. I know you might think you can find a QB next year, but I'm saying this is a good year with 2 quality guy's. Why keep puting it off? I don't get it.

The problem with the way you're going about it (IMO) is that you could do everything you're saying and it STILL might take you another 5+ years to find that "perfect QB" to fit. Plus if it's a rookie, by the time it takes to get him up to par and playoff ready the team will have lost allot of those parts/players. They'll have gotten to expensive. Or we don't win and panic sets in and new coaches.

Plus I don't think we will ever get a top 5 draft pick or better with some of the parts we have in place and division we play in.

I think were closer then you think if you plug a Manning in. If not, M. Williams aint going to help us.

But.

seems like you're saying what I'm thinking.

although if Trent Richardson were somehow still on the board in rd1 at #12, I would be sorely tempted to take him. Him and Beastie together in the same backfield? I think I just peed myself.

seems like you're saying what I'm thinking.

although if Trent Richardson were somehow still on the board in rd1 at #12, I would be sorely tempted to take him. Him and Beastie together in the same backfield? I think I just peed myself.

I agree there actually.

I'm not against picking Richardson at all. He's on ADP level! Taking best player avialable is always a good move. :)

Lynch won't last forever anyway, especially the way he runs. And I'm still a little nervous he played for money last year a little bit.

I agree there actually.

I'm not against picking Richardson at all. He's on ADP level! Taking best player avialable is always a good move. :)

Lynch won't last forever anyway, especially the way he runs. And I'm still a little nervous he played for money last year a little bit.

I think it's easier to grab a RB later in the draft than in the first. And I think we will grab one in the first 4 rounds at some point. With a zone blocking scheme, RBs can be more interchangeable. Lynch was special last year the way he ran hard, breaking tackles, emerging out of piles. I really hope it wasn't just playing for a contract. But I suspect the way Lynch was buried in a committee in Buffalo, he still feels like he has a point to prove.

I think it's easier to grab a RB later in the draft than in the first. And I think we will grab one in the first 4 rounds at some point. With a zone blocking scheme, RBs can be more interchangeable. Lynch was special last year the way he ran hard, breaking tackles, emerging out of piles. I really hope it wasn't just playing for a contract. But I suspect the way Lynch was buried in a committee in Buffalo, he still feels like he has a point to prove.

I do agree with all that.... I think we should focus on Def (Dline) at #12. Draft RB late like you said. I'm good with all that.

(Just saying, Richardson would make a nice pick though and hard to pass on if there)

I think Lynch will give us his all. But, I'm still not sure he's a franchise RB though. No breakaway speed might catch up to him along with not playing for a contract and each year taking the pounding.

YET - He did what he did with IMO a weak QB. SO it was a good signing non the less. Being smart about drafting behind him would be smart though.

I'm not too hot on drafting a RB even in the 2nd round.

how would you feel about getting Michael Bush as a FA RB? Cable has to be familiar with what he can do when healthy, he runs in a similar way to Beast Mode (minus the Skittles), and Oakland probably can't keep him because of salary cap crunch.

I would not be upset if we used a 2nd rounder on Doug Martin, the kid out of Boise St.. Beyond him though, I think I'd rather hold off until the 4th or 5th for RB depth.

Manning scheduled visits to Denver, Miami, Arizona. I don't see Seattle on that list. I complete slap to the face. Seattle is easily more talented than those 3 clown teams. God will smite Manning in both knees if he thinks he can waltz into freezing cold Denver and replace Tebow.

The Niners aren't interested either. Alex Smith is putting on his big boy pants and rejecting the offer SF has had on the table, holding for a longer deal. :lol: wow

how would you feel about getting Michael Bush as a FA RB? Cable has to be familiar with what he can do when healthy, he runs in a similar way to Beast Mode (minus the Skittles), and Oakland probably can't keep him because of salary cap crunch.

I would not be upset if we used a 2nd rounder on Doug Martin, the kid out of Boise St.. Beyond him though, I think I'd rather hold off until the 4th or 5th for RB depth.

I like Michael Bush a lot but don't see him being an option with Lynch getting a raise. Lynch, Washington and either Forsett or a 4th round or later rookie are A-OK with me.

I maybe being too much of a homer but our Defense is looking fierce. A Mario Williams added to it with Clemons pass rush and Bryant/Mebane in the heart of the line with our talented secondary and some speed at linebackers (we still need to solidify the LB corp). Thats a lot to get excited about. I would throw that defense up against any other defense in the league including the 49ers. Thats a huge step forward considering where we were going into last year. Our front seven will be a notch below the 49ers/Lions talent level but our secondary blows Detroit away and is at least as good if not superior to the 49ers secondary. I don't know what your definition of "stacked" is but I think it more than applies to our defense, with the caveat of an additional pass rushing threat. Without that your right. I over emphasized the defense's value but not by much. :Mr-T:

I had a big man crush on Lynch and thought he would do well last year....but he just got paid and I am concerned he regresses this year. From a FF perspective, no way I am drafting Lynch as high as he will be ranked based on his consecutive games with a TD streak. So I would not mind a mid round RB selection.

I think we need best person available in the first round of the draft and let the draft come to us. I have a strong suspicion that our GM would be more than happy to trade down from 12, I just got the impression they wanted to trade down last year. This would be great news if we could aquire the draft capital for next year to possibly trade up for the franchise QB. I think this strategy is a win/win we either solidify a young hungry defense for several years or aquire a extra draft capital for next year. But our draft needs to be quality and not quantity, we have churned the roster enough that now we need to start bringing in talent and not just depth.

Flat out its been an incredible rebuild, I thought we were destined for the cellar of the division for 3-4 years and we have a team right now that can compete within our division. Which is a way tougher division now than anyone will give us credit for. :doh:

I maybe being too much of a homer but our Defense is looking fierce. A Mario Williams added to it with Clemons pass rush and Bryant/Mebane in the heart of the line with our talented secondary and some speed at linebackers (we still need to solidify the LB corp). Thats a lot to get excited about. I would throw that defense up against any other defense in the league including the 49ers. Thats a huge step forward considering where we were going into last year. Our front seven will be a notch below the 49ers/Lions talent level but our secondary blows Detroit away and is at least as good if not superior to the 49ers secondary. I don't know what your definition of "stacked" is but I think it more than applies to our defense, with the caveat of an additional pass rushing threat. Without that your right. I over emphasized the defense's value but not by much. :Mr-T:

I had a big man crush on Lynch and thought he would do well last year....but he just got paid and I am concerned he regresses this year. From a FF perspective, no way I am drafting Lynch as high as he will be ranked based on his consecutive games with a TD streak. So I would not mind a mid round RB selection.

I think we need best person available in the first round of the draft and let the draft come to us. I have a strong suspicion that our GM would be more than happy to trade down from 12, I just got the impression they wanted to trade down last year. This would be great news if we could aquire the draft capital for next year to possibly trade up for the franchise QB. I think this strategy is a win/win we either solidify a young hungry defense for several years or aquire a extra draft capital for next year. But our draft needs to be quality and not quantity, we have churned the roster enough that now we need to start bringing in talent and not just depth.

Flat out its been an incredible rebuild, I thought we were destined for the cellar of the division for 3-4 years and we have a team right now that can compete within our division. Which is a way tougher division now than anyone will give us credit for. :doh:

Now why would anyone think the NFC West sucks? It's not like three-fourths of the division is picking in the top 13 or something... oh wait... Well its not like Alex Smith is the best QB in the division... oh wait. Um, I got nothin.

Now why would anyone think the NFC West sucks? It's not like three-fourths of the division is picking in the top 13 or something... oh wait... Well its not like Alex Smith is the best QB in the division... oh wait. Um, I got nothin.

13 win team and two other teams that were incredibly competitive and were competing for the wild card up until the end of the season. Also, Sam Bradford is the best QB in the division and he plays for the team that sucks the most, just hired Fisher as their coach and still have one of the most complete running backs in the league.

It's not 2010 anymore.

13 win team and two other teams that were incredibly competitive and were competing for the wild card up until the end of the season. Also, Sam Bradford is the best QB in the division and he plays for the team that sucks the most, just hired Fisher as their coach and still have one of the most complete running backs in the league.

It's not 2010 anymore.

I'll grant you its getting better. But hell, it should be, with all the top 10 picks going there in the last decade or so.

I'll grant you its getting better. But hell, it should be, with all the top 10 picks going there in the last decade or so.

All those high picks are a big reason San Fran won 13 games this year.

All those high picks are a big reason San Fran won 13 games this year.

Yes. Starting with a a four game head start because the windolicker Rams and Cards are in the division don't hurt either.

Yes. Starting with a a four game head start because the windolicker Rams and Cards are in the division don't hurt either.

Seattle in week 1 as well. The Hawks and Cards were garbage until about half way through the season.

Seattle in week 1 as well. The Hawks and Cards were garbage until about half way through the season.

I wasn't gonna take a dump in the Hawks fan's punchbowl, but yeah, you're right.

we were terrible early on for a reason: we were starting the youngest OL in the league. Takes time for those guys to jell. And despite the injuries to Okung, Moffitt and Carpenter, the line got better and better as the season went on.

we were terrible early on for a reason: we were starting the youngest OL in the league. Takes time for those guys to jell. And despite the injuries to Okung, Moffitt and Carpenter, the line got better and better as the season went on.

That's the key. When Moffit and Carpenter got hurt, the line got really good, as did Lynch. Because those two stiffs were starting, the line was not good. I could almost live with Moffit. But Carpenter might be two years away from achieving mediocrity.

That's the key. When Moffit and Carpenter got hurt, the line got really good, as did Lynch. Because those two stiffs were starting, the line was not good. I could almost live with Moffit. But Carpenter might be two years away from achieving mediocrity.

:lol:

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I still have faith in the kid becoming a solid right tackle. Hell, if he can't handle that he can always play guard.

c'mon man, Lvonte David played for Nebraska, not Stanford. And he dominated.

c'mon man, Lvonte David played for Nebraska, not Stanford. And he dominated.

Nebraska, Stanford, tomato, tomahto. Both teams have red in their uni's. Sort of. Ah f**k it. My bad. He's still great and would be awesome in our D.

Moffitt is hilarious. Have you heard him in interviews? That alone is practically reason enough to keep him. Unless he's the 2nd coming of Kyle Williams trying to block Darnell Dockett, I want this guy on my team. I'm kinda disappointed in Carpenter so far though, moreso based on where we took him.

Moffitt is hilarious. Have you heard him in interviews? That alone is practically reason enough to keep him. Unless he's the 2nd coming of Kyle Williams trying to block Darnell Dockett, I want this guy on my team. I'm kinda disappointed in Carpenter so far though, moreso based on where we took him.

I think Moffitts gonna end up being a chris gray type player at guard.

Just a solid work horse that you want starting for your team. He'll never be special, but he'll always be there.

Carpenter, I'm still debating on. I've heard give him another year. I've heard maybe move him to guard. Whatever happens with him. I'm at least glad we got Tom Cable calling the shots. I'll trust his judgement on whether or not the kid can be usefull.

For some reading material.

This is from Rob Rang who is a blogger in the area, and was at the Huskies pro day.

(You'll see I have the Huskies in bold, because washington st. doesn't count. :P

"Seattle -- A year ago it was quarterback Jake Locker whose impressive Pro Day workout at the University of Washington served as a springboard from which he boosted his mercurial stock all the way to the No. 8 pick in the 2011 NFL draft.

This year it is running back Chris Polk who likely boosted his stock with scouts with an impressive all-around performance Thursday in front of scouts and position coaches from roughly half of the teams in the NFL. Ironically enough, he did so with Locker watching, as the Titans' 2011 first round pick returned to Washington to throw passes to Polk, wide receivers Jermaine Kearse and Devin Aguilar and fullback Dorson Boyce.

Polk measured in at 5-10 (1/2) and 212 pounds, three pounds lighter than he'd weighed at the Combine and 12 pounds lighter than he was at the Senior Bowl. The loss of weight was noticeable in the running back's time in the 40-yard dash and his explosiveness in positional drills. Polk was credited with an "official" 4.57 second time at the Combine but came in at between 4.45-4.49 in his first attempt and 4.48-4.51 in his second. Polk also posted 16 reps on the bench press. He caught passes out of the backfield, demonstrating the soft, reliable hands and route-running ability that I believe is his most underrated quality and why the Washington running back remains in the hunt (along with Boise State's Doug Martin, Virginia Tech's David Wilson and Miami's Lamar Miller) to be the second back selected in the 2012 draft. Only Alabama's Trent Richardson, the consensus top-rated back, is viewed as a surefire first round pick.

While Polk was the big name, the three other Washington players invited to participate in the Scouting Combine this year each worked out again for scouts Thursday.

The Cincinnati Bengals thought enough of defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu to send their defensive line coach Jay Hayes to work out the big (6-2, 347) run-stuffer personally. Ta'amu has surprisingly light feet for a man of his size and scouts on hand seemed pleased with his performance in the shuttle and three-cone drills.

Similarly, Seattle Seahawks' assistant offensive line coach Pat Ruel worked out Senio Kelemete (6-3 1/2, 309). Kelemete started his final two seasons for the Huskies at left tackle but is viewed by most as a better fit inside at guard. Kelemete looked good at 309 pounds after playing closer to 290 this season, showing the balance, quick feet and improved power (25 reps today after 21 at the Combine) to handle the transition.

Kearse enjoyed a strong workout, as well, clocking in much faster today (4.44) than he did at the Combine (4.58) and catching every pass that I saw touch his hands. He and Locker didn't connect on a couple of deeper throws, including on a post-corner in which NFL personnel were overhead chiding Kearse for not getting his head around quickly enough to locate the ball.

One Husky who likely caught the attention of scouts with a stellar 40-yard dash time was cornerback Quinton Richardson. Not invited to the Combine, Richardson was the fastest of the players tested Thursday, recording times in the mid 4.3s. Richardson had looked like a potential draftable commodity after a strong junior season but struggled with inconsistency as a senior. Clearly, he has the speed to warant further investigation.

Media members were partioned off from the actual workout and the results of timed drills was not made readily available.

I saw representatives of the Atlanta Falcons, Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Green Bay Packers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the workout.

"

Kelemete could be a later draft pick target. Definitly a udp brought in if he wasn't drafted at all.

It's Christmas morning, otherwise known as Free Agency Kickoff.

You never know, since Schneider and Carroll have gotten better at not showing their hand, but when free agency kicks off today, but I'm getting the feeling we will NOT be in the running for Manning, Flynn, or Mario Williams. Due to lack of interest by the players or the number of teams bidding for their services, and the front office does not have the tendency to join into a bidding war. It would be nice to add some serviceable parts, so I'm curious what happens. I imagine defense, defense, defense, and maybe a WR. OG Winston just got cut from the Texans and might be worth a close look.

It's Christmas morning, otherwise known as Free Agency Kickoff.

You never know, since Schneider and Carroll have gotten better at not showing their hand, but when free agency kicks off today, but I'm getting the feeling we will NOT be in the running for Manning, Flynn, or Mario Williams. Due to lack of interest by the players or the number of teams bidding for their services, and the front office does not have the tendency to join into a bidding war. It would be nice to add some serviceable parts, so I'm curious what happens. I imagine defense, defense, defense, and maybe a WR. OG Winston just got cut from the Texans and might be worth a close look.

I could see them not bidding for any of those three guys and trying to get a guy like Jason Jones from Tennessee. But if they're avoiding the really big ticket payouts for FAs, then I also think those dollars need to go to keeping Red Bryant and probably Hawthorne too.

Seahawks retained their most important free agent: Red Bryant.

Link

The Seattle Seahawks wanted to keep Red Bryant, but they weren't going to name the big defensive end their franchise player.

The decision carried risk as Bryant headed toward free agency, but it all worked out in the end. The team reached agreement with Bryant on a five-year deal worth $35 million, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Bryant would have received $10.6 million for one season as a franchise player, setting an inflated average for any long-term deal.

Seattle has now re-signed its top free-agent defensive lineman in back-to-back offseasons. Brandon Mebane re-signed with the team a year ago.

The Seahawks and Bryant, 27, were the best fit for one another. Coach Pete Carroll and defensive coordinator Gus Bradley created a role for Bryant with the former defensive tackle's specific skills in mind. Bryant lined up over the tight end as a five-technique lineman, anchoring a Seattle run defense that ranked 15th in total rushing yards allowed and fourth in yards per carry allowed. Bryant played about two-thirds of the defensive snaps.

Seattle has now re-signed its top two free agents. Marshawn Lynch was the other. Finding pass-rush help remains a priority, but the Seahawks were not among the teams linked to Mario Williams as the signing period opened.

The Seahawks valued Bryant not only for his strength against the run, but also for his affable personality in the locker room.

Oh, yeah. Chad Henne is coming for a free agent visit. Eh, I guess it's competition for Tarvaris.

Jason Jones DT from Tennessee has scheduled a visit.

Reportedly heavily pursuing CB Brandon Carr from Kansas City.

Here's food for thought for you Seahawks fans...

I'm a Titans fan. We appear to be making a strong play for Manning.

If we land manning, you think we could get your first plus something for Locker? What would you guys think?

I'm not saying the Titans FO would be interested, but you could see them making hass manning's backup, trading locker for picks, and building for now?