Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

Triple spinoff: Where the diminishing returns start to set in on things.

The talk about things that are or are not worth it and food, wine etc got me thinking where the cutoff was for diminishing returns. The point at which paying more doesnt get you quality worth the cost.

Sunglasses are a big one to me. The talk in the other thread about 300$ Oakleys etc had me thinking about 50-60$ is the most anyone should pay for top quality sunglasses. Anything past that and you are paying for branding.

I think the most I've paid for sun glasses is like $160. Doubt I'll ever pay over $200 for some. But they are worth the cost if they hold up for years. You have to figure those cheap last what 6 months tops? You'll buy 2 pairs a year prob. These oakleys have lasted my 6 years with the other pair going on 2. No scratches, no lens missing, and no chipping. That is worth the return. Now if you're a careless person and lose your glasses then that's all your fault. Not the product

I think all of these things have a point of diminishing returns, it is just a matter of where the bar is for each person. For me living in Phoenix, sunglasses are important. I have a pair of Maui Jim's (polarized, which I think all MJs are) which I paid ~$95 at Costco. I've probably gone into the low $100's but I agree that $300 for sunglasses is crazy.

We used to have a poster here (Eagles Green) who has a surf shop and would hook us up with sunglasses at his cost + shipping. He probably still would if I bothered to find his email address.

Cheap sunglasses are crap -- scratch easily and hurt my eyes over time.

Jeans are another thing that gets out of hand. I cant see any benefit to paying more than 75$ for a pair of jeans.

Bottle of water 1$

Burger 10$

Jeans are another thing that gets out of hand. I cant see any benefit to paying more than 75$ for a pair of jeans.

:shocking:

Did you mistype the number 35?

The talk about things that are or are not worth it and food, wine etc got me thinking where the cutoff was for diminishing returns. The point at which paying more doesnt get you quality worth the cost.

Sunglasses are a big one to me. The talk in the other thread about 300$ Oakleys etc had me thinking about 50-60$ is the most anyone should pay for top quality sunglasses. Anything past that and you are paying for branding.

I used to never pay more than $20 for sunglasses. I'd either break or lose them.

About 10 years ago I bought a pair of Ray Bans (not wayfarers) for $120 from Sun Glass Hut. Came with a lifetime replacement policy.

I asked the lady "so if I sit on them and break 'em, you'll replace 'em for free?"

She said yes. So I bought them.

As luck would have it, I still have the same pair.

:shocking:

Did you mistype the number 35?

The Fock? You buy dad jeans? Have to if you're paying $35 for jeans

The Fock? You buy dad jeans? Have to if you're paying $35 for jeans

I wear Carhartt relaxed fit jeans. Comfortable, inexpensive, and high quality.

i have a decent pair of oakley, and a decent pair of ray ban each of which i have had for about 15 years. i also got myself a cheap pair ($30??) that i used for certain conditions when skiing (and then other activities). i figured that i would not care if i damaged those. turns out all of them have last over 10 years. i also take care of my things.

edit: jean...i am happy with levis for $35-50.

I wear Carhartt relaxed fit jeans. Comfortable, inexpensive, and high quality.

So...dad jeans?

Suits. If you make a ton of money and need to look great then spending $2K on a suit can be thought of a s business expense. But in that class you can really only get 150-200 wears, tops. A Men's Wearhouse or Jos.A.Bank $250 suit is really good enough for 90% of men.

Suits. If you make a ton of money and need to look great then spending $2K on a suit can be thought of a s business expense. But in that class you can really only get 150-200 wears, tops. A Men's Wearhouse or Jos.A.Bank $250 suit is really good enough for 90% of men.

My BIL sent me to his suit place last year cause I needed a suit. They took my measurements and tailor made me a suit. $2200 later I had a suit that I did NOT plan on spending that much on. Nice suit though. Should last me years. My BIL said he got one from there 15 years ago and it still is one of the best suits he owns

My BIL sent me to his suit place last year cause I needed a suit. They took my measurements and tailor made me a suit. $2200 later I had a suit that I did NOT plan on spending that much on. Nice suit though. Should last me years. My BIL said he got one from there 15 years ago and it still is one of the best suits he owns

If you take care of it, the suit will last. Style might not. Fit might not. It's a game of roulette.

So...dad jeans?

Most of us in our upper 20's to lower 30's are becoming fathers and the basic jeans looks better on someone our age than the acid fades, torn jeans, etc.

The guy in his late 20's to early 30's wearing the "stylish" jeans is more out of touch than the one wearing "dad" jeans. There comes a time when everyone must grow up. One of life's lessons is not spending money on items that will impress other people, but rather spending money for things that you enjoy.

I can tell by the fact that you are bragging about Oakley's and 2000 dollar suits that you have not hit that phase of life yet.

• Like 1

No you didn't.

Most of us in our upper 20's to lower 30's are becoming fathers and the basic jeans looks better on someone our age than the acid fades, torn jeans, etc.

The guy in his late 20's to early 30's wearing the "stylish" jeans is more out of touch than the one wearing "dad" jeans. There comes a time when everyone must grow up. One of life's lessons is not spending money on items that will impress other people, but rather spending money for things that you enjoy.

I can tell by the fact that you are bragging about Oakley's and 2000 dollar suits that you have not hit that phase of life yet.

No sorry they are dad jeans and don't look good on anyone. You're fooling yourself if you think that. There's a difference in stylish jeans and jeans that just look good. I'm not gonna buy jeans with holes, rips, or mud stains in them. But I will buy jeans that actually look decent on not like dad jeans. Those are loser jeans sorry. Not gonna look like a dork wearing those.

No you didn't.

Need a picture of my suit? Cause I've got it. But then again you probably wouldn't look at it and still lie. You're starting to become like Michael Bennett

No sorry they are dad jeans and don't look good on anyone. You're fooling yourself if you think that. There's a difference in stylish jeans and jeans that just look good. I'm not gonna buy jeans with holes, rips, or mud stains in them. But I will buy jeans that actually look decent on not like dad jeans. Those are loser jeans sorry. Not gonna look like a dork wearing those.

Too far here. I’m sure they look fine, it’s just jeans.

Too far here. Im sure they look fine, its just jeans.

Sorry but these look like dork jeans

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4e57c6c7dc13c8869cde849f16fbda01-c

You won't catch me in them. You'll also never catch me in skinny jeans or in those extremely baggy jeans. There's a certain level of nice that you can buy in jeans. Then there's those $30 dad jeans

I used to never pay more than $20 for sunglasses. I'd either break or lose them.

About 10 years ago I bought a pair of Ray Bans (not wayfarers) for $120 from Sun Glass Hut. Came with a lifetime replacement policy.

I asked the lady "so if I sit on them and break 'em, you'll replace 'em for free?"

She said yes. So I bought them.

As luck would have it, I still have the same pair.

I have a pair of Rudy Project cycling glasses. My wife bought them originally; I think they were about $150. They have a lifetime guarantee on the lenses, which I've replaced twice.

And why do people lose their sunglasses so readily? I've had the same pair for almost a decade.

I used to wear relaxed fit jeans because I have a small waist and muscular (bubble) butt, but they were baggy around my relatively skinny legs. In recent years though jean companies have come out with "athletic fit" styles which fit me much better. I went with Levi 541 for a while, then found I prefer Lucky 410s. Lucky's retail for $100+ but they go on sale and I've never paid more than $50 for them.

There is a difference between growing up and giving up.

I used to wear relaxed fit jeans because I have a small waist and muscular (bubble) butt, but they were baggy around my relatively skinny legs. In recent years though jean companies have come out with "athletic fit" styles which fit me much better. I went with Levi 541 for a while, then found I prefer Lucky 410s. Lucky's retail for $100+ but they go on sale and I've never paid more than $50 for them.

Exactly. I'm not gonna drop $100+ on jeans. That's too much. But then $30 Walmart jeans are a big NO. I want something stylish, comfortable, last a while, and aren't too expensive. I usually spend $60-$80 on a pair of jeans. But they last for years. I'll sometimes grab a pair from Buckle when they are on sale and they tailor them for you for free. So I'll get them tailored. Since getting older I've come to love getting stuff tailored. Also, love the "slim fit" in my nice button ups that I wear ties with. I don't like all that extra baggy part of the shirt when I'm tucking it in. The slim fit hugs my body a little more and gives it a cleaner look than your normal button up shirts

I wear Lucky's also. Wearing a pair right now.

I was exaggerating slightly, 50 is a good price for jeans. I dragged my wife around to all the stores last time i went shopping for jeans. None of the jeans fit me, similar issue to you at 6'1 165 most the jeans tend to be baggy on me.

As it turned out the Carhartt jeans fit me perfect. They have the added benefit of being some of the most durable jeans out there. You do not need to spend a ton of money to "not give up".

I was exaggerating slightly, 50 is a good price for jeans. I dragged my wife around to all the stores last time i went shopping for jeans. None of the jeans fit me, similar issue to you at 6'1 165 most the jeans tend to be baggy on me.

As it turned out the Carhartt jeans fit me perfect. They have the added benefit of being some of the most durable jeans out there. You do not need to spend a ton of money to "not give up".

Good to hear. My wife and I try to look good for each other; perhaps part of the reason we have our 24th anniversary in a few weeks. I feel sorry for people who give up, especially the chicks that bloat up after marriage (well, I mean the guys with those chicks). Even then though you have gained weight you can still try to look stylish. :thumbsup:

Too far here. I’m sure they look fine, it’s just jeans.

I wear Levi's, hard to fathom I know, but I cant do the dad jeans or (just as bad) the butt-humping gayblade ones that are bedazzled on the back pockets and almost always are accompanied by a white belt and white sunglasses.

I have a pair of Rudy Project cycling glasses. My wife bought them originally; I think they were about $150. They have a lifetime guarantee on the lenses, which I've replaced twice.

And why do people lose their sunglasses so readily? I've had the same pair for almost a decade.

My losing sunglasses phase coincided with my drinking too much daze.

Or maybe dropping $120 on a pair made me keep track of them better.

Who knows? :dunno:

Exactly. I'm not gonna drop $100+ on jeans. That's too much. But then $30 Walmart jeans are a big NO. I want something stylish, comfortable, last a while, and aren't too expensive. I usually spend $60-$80 on a pair of jeans. But they last for years. I'll sometimes grab a pair from Buckle when they are on sale and they tailor them for you for free. So I'll get them tailored. Since getting older I've come to love getting stuff tailored. Also, love the "slim fit" in my nice button ups that I wear ties with. I don't like all that extra baggy part of the shirt when I'm tucking it in. The slim fit hugs my body a little more and gives it a cleaner look than your normal button up shirts

I have a long torso and typically wear slim or tailored fit button downs. Most of mine are Banana Republic these days; they used to have a "sorta slim" fit which fit me great but they did away with that, so I get their regular (Camden fit I think) which is still on the slim side. I have some Calvin Klein slim fits as well. I usually wear either with slacks and a sport coat for customer meetings (I meet engineer-types mostly so they would not like a salesperson showing up in a $2000 suit. :D ).

Which reminds me: I have a pretty good gheydar, and a totally hetero dude complimented my sport coat in line at the airport yesterday. It was kinda weird actually. :unsure:

I have a long torso and typically wear slim or tailored fit button downs. Most of mine are Banana Republic these days; they used to have a "sorta slim" fit which fit me great but they did away with that, so I get their regular (Camden fit I think) which is still on the slim side. I have some Calvin Klein slim fits as well. I usually wear either with slacks and a sport coat for customer meetings (I meet engineer-types mostly so they would not like a salesperson showing up in a $2000 suit. :D ).

Which reminds me: I have a pretty good gheydar, and a totally hetero dude complimented my sport coat in line at the airport yesterday. It was kinda weird actually. :unsure:

He might've just liked the coat lol. I've seen guys wearing things that I like. Don't go up and compliment them on it but I take a mental note of it and also tell my wife that I like it and might end up buying it. I started buying a decent bit of stuff at vineyard vines now. As for jeans, I wear different kinds. I got a pair of lucky brand jeans but don't have many cause we don't have a lucky store down here.

I have never worn a suit in my 35 years and cant see my life going someplace where I would ever need to.

It's going there eventually. :dunno:

I have never worn a suit in my 35 years and cant see my life going someplace where I would ever need to.

Atta boy. Carpe Diem.

Tennis shoes. Don't understand why people over thirty wear three hundred dollar sneakers.

• Like 1

Some times you need a good suit. Ever man should have one. Now a tux is a bit different. Not many occasions do I have to wear a tux. Maybe later on I'll get one but right now I have no use for one

What kind of scissors, do you find, work best for cutting denim? :wave:

Tennis shoes. Don't understand why people over thirty wear three hundred dollar sneakers.

30 years ago, I was paying $80-$100 for sneakers. Now I pay $20-$60. To be fair, they don't last as long.