Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

which current bands will we still be talking about 20 from now

I'm not so sure any band today has 20 year staying power.

I agree, with the exception of Jack White.

I can't think of anyone else with the staying power as as anyone from the 60's or 70's.

Bands that have been around but are still putting out music

Dave Matthews

The Flaming Lips

We lost em too early

Jeff Buckley

Sublime

Current favorites I could see sticking around

Modest Mouse

The Arcade Fire

The Strokes

Interpol

My Morning Jacket

Jacket is awesome. The best thing to ever come out of Louisville.

My votes:

Radiohead

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Pearl Jam

Wilco (albeit with less of a following as the first three, but they are critically-acclaimed, have a rabid fan-base and are Grammy-winning artists)

We lost em too early

Jeff Buckley

Sublime

Good list of artists who I think would definitely still be listened to 20 years from now if not for their early deaths. Hopefully, their music will continue to last...

And I'd add Eliot Smith to that list. Listened to XO the other day, and it's one of the best CDs that I've ever heard in terms of consistencey from start-to-finish...

This is the first thread that I have ever read that actually made me angry.

Nickleback, 3 Doors Down :cry:

Seriously???????????????????

Wow that is embarrassing but I will give credit for starting a good thread

And for everyone who keeps saying Nirvana BECAME Foo Fighters.....ummmmmm only one member is the same and the drummer became the lead singer...not the same band :cry:

And how can you mention bands that have put out one album that wasn't even mindblowing ( AKA Arcade Fire) and then say that bands like Radiohead won't be remembered because they don't play them on the radio. :cry:

Good call with Elliott Smith...and no one mentioned Oasis who is the biggest band ever once you cross the Atlantic. Early Metallica is timeless...that will always be fun to listen to.

The Offspring.

They've been around 15+ years. Put out 6 or 7 albums. And have had hit singles off every album. Pretty darn consistent.

The Black Keys, Raconteurs, My Morning Jacket...

Robert Randolph?

I also think John Mayer could surprise a lot of people still and gain quite a few fans across the board (I can't stand his pop stuff, but the live stuff I've heard and the work he's done lately has made me more of a fan.)

And how can you mention bands that have put out one album that wasn't even mindblowing ( AKA Arcade Fire) and then say that bands like Radiohead won't be remembered because they don't play them on the radio.

I didn't, I think Radiohead will definately be remembered and listened to. Maybe Arcade Fire was not mindblowing to you, but I thought it was very good, and many critics put it on their top ten lists. I don't see them as a one and done.

That's a tough question. When you say remembered, do you mean like you and the boys are sitting around, drinking rattling off bands you remember, or bands that are still rocking after 20 years? (ie-the Stones, Aerosmith etc.)

Nickleback, 3 Doors Down :ninja:

what a focking faag. :ninja:

how about

ben harper

Jimmy Buffett.

Say what you want about him, but Margaritaville will be played in every warm climate bar for years to come.

And I'd add Eliot Smith to that list. Listened to XO the other day, and it's one of the best CDs that I've ever heard in terms of consistencey from start-to-finish...

:thumbsup:

I didn't, I think Radiohead will definately be remembered and listened to. Maybe Arcade Fire was not mindblowing to you, but I thought it was very good, and many critics put it on their top ten lists. I don't see them as a one and done.

I think that Funeral was a mind-blowing album, and the Arcade Fire are immensly talented.

However, it does remain to be seen if they can continue to put out great works such as their first. If so, then they will definitely be remembered -- they've got an awesome sound.

Cross Canadian Ragweed - "The boys from Oklahoma" Texas Music getting back to the southern rock roots.

The Randy Rogers Band - another Texas band with the southern rock edge

This is the first thread that I have ever read that actually made me angry.

Nickleback, 3 Doors Down :shocking:

Wow that is embarrassing but I will give credit for starting a good thread

Like it or not they are 2 of the top selling bands around today.

What would have been embarrasssing is if I had also started the thread with Maroon 5.

Radiohead (obvious pick. OK Computer was the best album of the 90s in many many books)

Beck (the Bowie of his generation)

After that it gets real tough. Franz Ferdinand is real good, but they need to put out another 2/3 good to great albums. I love em -- not "genius" music, but super catchy and fun.

Coldplay may have done enough to enter this discussion. Again, I'm not a HUGE fan, but I like em. And they are insanely popular.

Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, Spoon, and a lot of others are great bands, but I doubt they ever break into the pop culture/MTV slipstream enough to get regular play down the road.

Nickelback is probably one of the worst bands i have ever heard.

a band that will still be talked about in 20 years is =w=

METALLICA!!!!

Even if you dont like their music (which I think they are the greatest group of all time), but even if you dont like them, dumbasses will be talking about their napster thing till the end of time.

Why no love for Nickelback or 3 Doors Down?

I'm looking for something more than they suck.

Why no love for weak power pop ballads? Its the Backstreet Boys with instruments...not to mention all their songs sounds the same.

I think the listener friendly bands WILL be remembered. I am sticking to a truly new group here - with just one album. My prediction: Jet.

There is a huge difference in the way people look at rock bands nowadays as compared to twenty or thirty years ago.

Currently, a band is either a top 40 radio success or they're an independent/hipster favorite. It's one or the other and a band can't be both. There are acts like Sufjan Stevens, My Morning Jacket, or Built to Spill who have decent little followings, but they are hardly known today, let alone twenty years from now. If a band writes a little more "mainstream" music (like Nickleback or 3 Doors Down) they will be widely known and popular, but they are considered lame or "pop".

Bands like Van Halen or, going back even farther, The Stones or Beatles, were, both, critical favorites and top forty favorites. Those bands featured solid songwriting, good instrumentation, and hooks galore. If a band would come out today with the melodies (or hooks) that those classic bands had, the "cool hipsters" would immediately write them off as pop stars and sellouts.

It's kind of ironic (and sad) to think that the Beatles or Stones would be dismissed as crap if they came out today, because the music is too listener friendly.

There is a huge difference in the way people look at rock bands nowadays as compared to twenty or thirty years ago.

Currently, a band is either a top 40 radio success or they're an independent/hipster favorite. It's one or the other and a band can't be both. There are acts like Sufjan Stevens, My Morning Jacket, or Built to Spill who have decent little followings, but they are hardly known today, let alone twenty years from now. If a band writes a little more "mainstream" music (like Nickleback or 3 Doors Down) they will be widely known and popular, but they are considered lame or "pop".

Bands like Van Halen or, going back even farther, The Stones or Beatles, were, both, critical favorites and top forty favorites. Those bands featured solid songwriting, good instrumentation, and hooks galore. If a band would come out today with the melodies (or hooks) that those classic bands had, the "cool hipsters" would immediately write them off as pop stars and sellouts.

It's kind of ironic (and sad) to think that the Beatles or Stones would be dismissed as crap if they came out today, because the music is too listener friendly.

:wacko:

Sufjan, MMJ and BTS are 3 acts that I've been way into... it's funny that you picked those particular three. I think all 3 have more in common with classic 70s bands than a lot of the other indie acts out there these days.

The Strokes and the White Stripes are two bands that had the hooks AND the indie cred. Unfortunately, I think the garage rock revival fad is already over.

The Strokes and the White Stripes are two bands that had the hooks AND the indie cred. Unfortunately, I think the garage rock revival fad is already over.

I agree that garage rock is about dead. The White Stripes are well past it tho. You can't label Get Behind me Satan as garage rock. You can say the same thing for the Strokes most recent album. It wasn't particularly good, but it was not garage rock.

You can't label Get Behind me Satan as garage rock. You can say the same thing for the Strokes most recent album. It wasn't particularly good, but it was not garage rock.

I agree on both counts about garage rock, but do think that the Strokes new album is really good. just like every song except the nothing to say one.

I'll agree with Red Hot..Aerosmith..

I'll throw in Coldplay

But you guys KNOW that some obscure band will randomly become popular 20 years from now...like Sugar Ray...or Lit...

Hanson..... :music_guitarred:

Just looking through this thread, and I would like to kill whoever mentioned Nickleback, Dashboard Confessional, My Morning Jacket and Beck. These bands will be forgotten (I hope) in the next 5 years. :thumbsup:

Just looking through this thread, and I would like to kill whoever mentioned Nickleback, Dashboard Confessional, My Morning Jacket and Beck. These bands will be forgotten (I hope) in the next 5 years. :dunno:

I wouldn't count on that happening with Beck. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't count on that happening with Beck. :lol:

Beck should have been forgotten 5 years ago. I can't stand his "music". :wave:

Current bands? None I hope. Unless Tool and Velvet Revolver maintain their level for another 5-10 years, there isn't a single active act of significance in rock right now (Green Day I kind of leave out of this since they have been well-established for a decade plus already).

Velvet Revolver breaks up (not too surprising). Wonderful, one remaining rock band I can listen to. :doublethumbsup:

Beck should have been forgotten 5 years ago. I can't stand his "music". :thumbsup:

and that still would have been almost 10 years after his first CD.

White Stripes (or whatever Jack White is doing)

The Strokes

Coldplay

STILL the Eagles

Death Cab (maybe)

Weezer

Radiohead

Dave Matthews Band

The Hold Steady

John Mayer

Ben Folds

Jack Johnson

obviously all of them wont, but it wouldn't surprise me if any of them did.

White Stripes (or whatever Jack White is doing)

The Strokes

Coldplay

STILL the Eagles

Death Cab (maybe)

Weezer

Radiohead

Dave Matthews Band

The Hold Steady

John Mayer

Ben Folds

Jack Johnson

obviously all of them wont, but it wouldn't surprise me if any of them did.

I've only heard of Weezer and that Dave Matthews group.

Endeverafter

I've only heard of Weezer and that Dave Matthews group.

You haven't heard of the White Stripes, the Strokes, the Eagles, Coldplay or John Mayer?