Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

Congratulations Georgia

Pending Gov. Nathan Deal’s signature, those with concealed permits will be allowed to carry their guns into churches and bars, among other institutions.

Since the rash outbreak of shootings all across the country, specifically that of Newtown Conn., the debate surrounding gun laws have been stronger and louder than ever.

In Georgia, pro-gun lobbyists have been fighting to expand second amendment rights for permit holders.

The house passed the Safe Carry Protection Act March 30 by a vote of 112-58 according to a Atlanta-Journal Constitution article. This act removes the blanket ban on carrying guns into churches and bars should those establishment allow so. The law is designed so private property owners have more options and control in regards to firearms on their property.

According to the provisions of the law, churches are not required to allow firearms, but could “opt in” and decide to allow them. Bars would no longer have restrictions on carrying firearms, but would have the authority to ban firearms if they choose to.

News of this legislation has spread beyond Georgia all across the nation and what it will mean for the future of gun laws.

If Deal signs the legislation, the law would go into effect on July 1. According to an article posted by the National Rifle Association on its website, the organization fully expects Deal to sign the law. Deal received an endorsement from the NRA during his 2010 run for office.

The NRA called the bill the “most comprehensive pro-gun reform bill in state history” on its website.

Rep. Randy Nix supported the Safe Carry Protection Act and said a lot of hard work was put into this legislation and the House pressed hard for two years.

“Everyone was heard, many concessions were made, and on the final day of the session, I was pleased that a bill was produced that was acceptable to both chambers,” Nix said.

Senior Pastor, Timothy Tidwell with Oakside Baptist Church said he supports the legislation.

Tidwell, who has a concealed weapon permit himself, said he does not have a problem if members of the congregation want to bring their licensed guns to church. In fact, he said he would probably bring his own.

“Because of the element of crime, we have to have a way to protect ourselves,” he said.

David Cross, pastor of Gray Hill Church of God, also agreed with the law, saying it should be up to the individual churches to make the decision.

Cross said he would be fine with people bringing guns into the church as long as they have a permit and their weapon is concealed.

For as many supporters the legislation has, its opponents are still trying to fight for more gun control.

Kathryn Grant, co-founder of Georgia Gun Sense Coalition, said this bill puts churches and bars in an uncomfortable position where the issue is forced on them, unlike before.

“We think this bill is dangerous, it’s bad policy and it’s bad for Georgia,” Grant said.

She added that this bill hurts Georgia’s reputation both nationally and internationally.

LaGrange Public Safety Chief Lou Dekmar said he does not expect any significant increase in gun-related crimes as a result of this legislature. He added that in the last decade of modification to gun laws, he has not seen any noticeable law enforcement challenges as a result of those changes.

“Generally, I find that people that have guns are pretty responsible and I would expect, for the most part, most folks are going to be responsible and, those that aren’t, would act irresponsibly whether there was a law or not,” he said.

The Safe Carry Protection Act is just one of the many advances being made by pro-gun activists. Grant said there is a pattern being seen towards more relaxed gun laws, though the direct impact is still yet to be determined.

It's about time someone passes legitimate gun laws :thumbsup:

Any law that results in fewer southerners is a good thing. :thumbsup:

I understand restricting carrying in bars, but for the life of me, I can see no good argument for the government to ban them from churches.

I understand restricting carrying in bars, but for the life of me, I can see no good argument for the government to ban them from churches.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it is the same fallacious logic which makes some people think movie theaters are safer because guns aren't allowed. Because, you know, crazy bad people always follow those rules.

Pending Gov. Nathan Deals signature, those with concealed permits will be allowed to carry their guns into churches and bars, among other institutions.

Since the rash outbreak of shootings all across the country, specifically that of Newtown Conn., the debate surrounding gun laws have been stronger and louder than ever.

In Georgia, pro-gun lobbyists have been fighting to expand second amendment rights for permit holders.

The house passed the Safe Carry Protection Act March 30 by a vote of 112-58 according to a Atlanta-Journal Constitution article. This act removes the blanket ban on carrying guns into churches and bars should those establishment allow so. The law is designed so private property owners have more options and control in regards to firearms on their property.

According to the provisions of the law, churches are not required to allow firearms, but could opt in and decide to allow them. Bars would no longer have restrictions on carrying firearms, but would have the authority to ban firearms if they choose to.

News of this legislation has spread beyond Georgia all across the nation and what it will mean for the future of gun laws.

If Deal signs the legislation, the law would go into effect on July 1. According to an article posted by the National Rifle Association on its website, the organization fully expects Deal to sign the law. Deal received an endorsement from the NRA during his 2010 run for office.

The NRA called the bill the most comprehensive pro-gun reform bill in state history on its website.

Rep. Randy Nix supported the Safe Carry Protection Act and said a lot of hard work was put into this legislation and the House pressed hard for two years.

Everyone was heard, many concessions were made, and on the final day of the session, I was pleased that a bill was produced that was acceptable to both chambers, Nix said.

Senior Pastor, Timothy Tidwell with Oakside Baptist Church said he supports the legislation.

Tidwell, who has a concealed weapon permit himself, said he does not have a problem if members of the congregation want to bring their licensed guns to church. In fact, he said he would probably bring his own.

Because of the element of crime, we have to have a way to protect ourselves, he said.

David Cross, pastor of Gray Hill Church of God, also agreed with the law, saying it should be up to the individual churches to make the decision.

Cross said he would be fine with people bringing guns into the church as long as they have a permit and their weapon is concealed.

For as many supporters the legislation has, its opponents are still trying to fight for more gun control.

Kathryn Grant, co-founder of Georgia Gun Sense Coalition, said this bill puts churches and bars in an uncomfortable position where the issue is forced on them, unlike before.

We think this bill is dangerous, its bad policy and its bad for Georgia, Grant said.

She added that this bill hurts Georgias reputation both nationally and internationally.

LaGrange Public Safety Chief Lou Dekmar said he does not expect any significant increase in gun-related crimes as a result of this legislature. He added that in the last decade of modification to gun laws, he has not seen any noticeable law enforcement challenges as a result of those changes.

Generally, I find that people that have guns are pretty responsible and I would expect, for the most part, most folks are going to be responsible and, those that arent, would act irresponsibly whether there was a law or not, he said.

The Safe Carry Protection Act is just one of the many advances being made by pro-gun activists. Grant said there is a pattern being seen towards more relaxed gun laws, though the direct impact is still yet to be determined.

It's about time someone passes legitimate gun laws :thumbsup:

Gotta love the south!

Any law that results in fewer southerners is a good thing. :thumbsup:

Really? How so?

Westerns wouldn't be the same if they didn't include gunfights in bars.

Government shouldn't have to ban them in church. If you bring a gun or any other weapon into the house of God, then you should be stoned to death.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it is the same fallacious logic which makes some people think movie theaters are safer because guns aren't allowed. Because, you know, crazy bad people always follow those rules.

the gun bans work great, look at Chicago, barely any gun crime at all now.

Why stop there? Guns in schools, guns in stadiums, guns at the airport...if having people armed "makes us safer", why wouldn't that extend to these places too?

Really? How so?

I was making a hilarious joke about the worthlessness of southerners, now totally roomed. :(

the gun bans work great, look at Chicago, barely any gun crime at all now.

I guess I missed the articles of all of the Church shootings in Georgia. :dunno:

I guess I missed the articles of all of the Church shootings in Georgia. :dunno:

guess i missed the part where i mentioned church :dunno:

guess i missed the part where i mentioned church :dunno:

Ah, so you did not even read the article? I did not realize that you were already hopping into random topic mode. :lol:

Freaknick is going to be a lot more interesting from now on

Most concealed carriers don't drink when they're carrying anyway. Certainly not to excess. This law just gives them the right to carry in bars that don't forbid it. As far as carrying in church, I'm pretty sure God is a proponent of self defense and defense of others. I don't think he'd have a problem with it. :dunno:

I was making a hilarious joke about the worthlessness of southerners, now totally roomed. :(

My work is done. :)

Even in the wild wild west movies you had to surrender your gun to the bartender or door maid when going into a saloon.

Even in the wild wild west movies you had to surrender your gun to the bartender or door maid when going into a saloon.

Individual establishments still have the right to forbid the carrying of firearms on their premises. There's just no state law prohibiting the practice. No reason why a designated driver shouldn't be able to carry in a bar.

Individual establishments still have the right to forbid the carrying of firearms on their premises. There's just no state law prohibiting the practice. No reason why a designated driver shouldn't be able to carry in a bar.

I don't agree or disagree but my point was that even in the wild wild west it was common sense not to mix guns and booze.

Why stop there? Guns in schools, guns in stadiums, guns at the airport...if having people armed "makes us safer", why wouldn't that extend to these places too?

States who pass CC laws see a reduction in violent crime. I would ask you to show us all the murders perpetrated by people who are licensed CC, but I know how you avoid answering direct questions.

I guess the positive is that there will likely be fewer barroom fist fights in Georgia.

Most concealed carriers don't drink when they're carrying anyway. Certainly not to excess. This law just gives them the right to carry in bars that don't forbid it.

I really don't know who among the people I see carry a concealed weapon, so that may well be true. I hope it's true. I've just seen a lifetime of stupid decisions made by people who weren't necessarily prone to stupid decisions until alcohol was added to the mix.

I really don't know who among the people I see carry a concealed weapon, so that may well be true. I hope it's true. I've just seen a lifetime of stupid decisions made by people who weren't necessarily prone to stupid decisions until alcohol was added to the mix.

If they're carrying correctly you shouldn't be able to tell. You probably come into contact with more than you think. Most permit holders had to jump through some hoops to get one and they value it immensely so they would never do anything to jeopardize the privilege. I know some that abstain from drinking entirely because they don't want to cloud their judgement in case they're ever in a situation that would require them to use their weapon. I understand that some people get nervous about guns but really, CCW permit holders, as a whole, are not who they should be worried about. For the most part they've proven to be far more upstanding than your average Joe. Obviously there are exceptions but they're rare.