Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Cilantro, yay or nay?

Do you like cilantro?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

I remember my mom served cous cous when I was a kid, maybe 1992. My dad tried it and promptly said "wtf is this sh!t"

Lets be honest, your mom served het kooze tp a LOT of people...

Dayum, I just had a food orgasm reading that menu. :lol: :wub:

Ha. I'll probably go all weekend and try everything there (it's my regular joint anyway - )

There is always some trendy food item that appears in everything. For a while it was sun dried tomatoes. Mango had its day in the sun. Now it's bacon.

Bacon is NOT trendy. :nono: It's part of life as we know it now. :wub:

I'm pretty sure it goes in your mouth sweetie.

Hmm. Well that's a strange use for it.

My mom has a decent garden going and last year she made a variation of this a few times. So good and simple. Quinoa is hearty and nutritious. Just wish it was more affordable.

My mom has a decent garden going and last year she made a variation of this a few times. So good and simple. Quinoa is hearty and nutritious. Just wish it was more affordable.

great with kale and sun dried tomatoes :thumbsup:

Cilantro is an awesome herb, one of my favorites. I use it on all kinds of things:

* In chimichurri sauces

* In salads

* In vinaigrettes - particularly a lemon/cilantro one I make

* In breading for pan seared or baked fish

* In pico de gallo for sure

* On roasted corn on the cob with a mayo/sour cream/ cotija cheese mixture topping

Awesome that you can vote for all three options at the same time...

I understand that cilantro is a part of most salsa recipies, and I love salsa. However, cilantro is one of those things that if I can taste it, its a deal breaker for me. Tastes to me what a bar of soap would taste like.

I understand that cilantro is a part of most salsa recipies, and I love salsa. However, cilantro is one of those things that if I can taste it, its a deal breaker for me. Tastes to me what a bar of soap would taste like.

I'm that way with fennel.

great with kale and sun dried tomatoes :thumbsup:

Mix in a little acai berry :)

Mix in a little acai berry :)

this is where i stay savory... i like the dish you posted. i would go with minced nicoise or kalamata olives and pimentos, or oregano, capers, garlic.

Bacon grease can make a lot of dishes taste better. Want better tasting skillet potatoes? Throw a spoonful of bacon grease in there. My dad has jars of it and uses a little bit of it to cook with. Not all the time but occasionally.

very common to save pork and duck fat. anytime i render bacon for a dish, i use that fat to saute the other components (ie: mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc)

this is where i stay savory... i like the dish you posted. i would go with minced nicoise or kalamata olives and pimentos, or oregano, capers, garlic.

Nicoise olives eh? Off to google.

I take it penult was playing on the earlier trendy food discussion with his post so I was in return. There is a chance he wasn't..

very common to save pork and duck fat. anytime i render bacon for a dish, i use that fat to saute the other components (ie: mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc)

It's perfect for sautéing anything. Gives it's bit of extras flavoring.

• Like 1

I save all my bacon fat, stores great in the fridge. I also save pieces of brisket fat - will use it sometimes to top other meats in the smoker, or in such things as charro beans.

I take it penult was playing on the earlier trendy food discussion with his post so I was in return. There is a chance he wasn't..

I was, but my wife has made the dish I described, and it is delicious!

I prefer acai with pitaya and chia seeds. :thumbsup:

How do you all like your disgusting little weed now? I hope they ban it forever.

I still love it - and there are plenty of growers here in Texas and in California, as well as a few other states... But I do admit - that is pretty gross.