Sign in to follow this  
forensicguy

Brief note from 2014 Champion

First, ...great job on the draft everybody. It dragged along the first few rounds, ...but we got it done in a reasonable time.

In this thread, a little later, I will list the various times that I thought some of you made some great picks. I will also cover the MANY times I got SCALDED by either one pick, ....or a series of picks. The draft was particularly humbling this year. I like my team, but did not picture the composition ending up the way it did. I waited 6 rounds to *finally* take a pitcher, ...and then ended up with NINE STARTING PITCHERS, ...plus Cingrani, ...who apparently fell into no-man's land between SP and some unknown role in the bullpen. Yes, ...I knew that when I took him.

Anyway, I will post a similar message on the Yahoo! league comment board. For those who don't know:

I am Mike Spence, the one with the 575 New Mexico number, ....bugging you throughout the draft. I'm 55, remarried, and very happy. Have a great season!

I had targeted four players with my last pick... None of them made it back to me...

This draft was awful this year... I think kysar took about ten of the guys I was debating on taking with one pick and then decided to wait until the next round... I don't know if it was ten or not, but it sure as hell felt like that...

I haven't decided if I like my team or not this year, but at the moment, I am going towards "not"... Could be a long year this year... I was hoping to see if I had pissed people off taking Tulo and then Reyes, but there wasn't one peep...

Hoping to get through this final round today... The draft maintained a good pace for the most part, though.

This draft was a strange one for me.

I found myself reaching on some guys (Kinsler and Zobrist in particular), but being pleasantly surprised at having a couple of others fall to me unexpectedly (McCann and Headley). I guess that's partially nature of the beast with the bookend picks.

The "early and often" prospect/young player runs were a bit surprising and I was left out in the cold as the brunt of them went while I was sitting out keeper rounds. This led me to taking the injured Darvish and returning Moore later on as my alternatives to the more traditional prospect "lottery tickets" you guys got. Heck, if I get a half year of Matt Moore this season and a half year of Darvish next season at round 25 and 27 prices, I'll have some really nice keepers (assuming they both return as high quality players).

I also delayed too long to grab a closer or two. After the runs started and the draft finally came to my pick, I was never satisfied with spending that rounds' pick on any of the closers left on the board. I eventually punted saves and focused on getting some good young SPs and some of the top tier holds guys instead.

Overall, I like my team. It's a mix of (mostly) veteran bats and (mostly) young arms.

Of course, none of this matters since posty's squad is invincible and the rest of us are just here to play for the silver trophy ... ;-)

BTW - I'm Joe - the other pain in the a$$ from the 617 area code (Boston area). LOL - 51 (going on 21), married (22+ years by some miracle), one kid (love her - keeps me young), computer geek by profession and year round lover of fantasy sports (baseball, football, hockey)...

Of course, none of this matters since posty's squad is invincible and the rest of us are just here to play for the silver trophy ... ;-)

And there it is...

Cursed again...

:wall:

It's funny Torn would use the word "weird". My thoughts exactly. I came into this telling myself that targeting hitters, ...especially power hitters, ...early, ...at the expense of pitching, ...worked well last year. But I had no intention of taking it to THAT extreme. About 16 viable SPs went off the board, until I took Carlos Carrasco at 6.04. CC is the ACE of my staff??? :dunno:

I was close to going with Lester or Zimm, ...but I got scalded, ...and refused to take a downgrade at 4.04, ...so I went for Cespedes.

I got so worried about SPs, ...that when Cody Allen got scooped out from under me, ...I avoided closers, ....and went for yet another SP, Ryu, at 9.09. I then may have over-reacted by going closer-closer-closer for 10-11-12. That 12th pick was embarrassing. It was a long wait to get to my turn, ....and I had Tyson Ross ready to join my squad, ....ARGH, ....maybe I should do a little better bookkeeping on the keepers. For some stupid reason, I ended up taking 38 year old Joakim Benoit.

When I took Giles at 16.04, I had a plan in mind to trade up in the 17th round and take Danny Santana or Alcides Escobar at 11.02. Posty took Santana IMMEDIATELY, ...and when AE went just before 11.02, ....I ditched the trade, ....and rolled the dice that Jean Segura would be there at 11.09, ....Godfather took him at 11.08. Who would have guessed GF would draft a Brewer there? :wall:

I hope Oswaldo Arcia makes this all better.

There were no decent SS's left, ...SO, ....I punted SS till the freakin' 23rd round, ....Andrelton Simmons, ....ARGH!

I just missed Gausmann, ...but maybe Eovaldi will work out.

Matt Moore was a NICE pick. I had him pegged for the 27th or 28th round.

At 29th, ....I couldn't hold back on Cingrani anymore. I don't want to jinx it, but I think he has a shot at being this year's Wade Davis, ...a lights out set up man, who qualifies for a SP spot, ...7th RP each week. I could be wrong, ...but as a 26th round keeper, I'm thinking he might still pan out as a solid SP in 2016.

Ghost - I didn't think of that... I had Cingrani on my short list when the news broke about him getting shipped to the bullpen. I dropped him off my list then, but your point about using him as a Holds guy out of an SP spot is good one.

I kinda went into this draft blind to the rules even though they were there to see but I'm slowly getting to like my team.

I'm happy with my infield and starting pitching, not so much with the depth of my outfield unless Victorino & Crawford have healthy and full seasons.

Not too sure if I reached for Pederson, I fought myself not to take him sooner, I also targeted Alex Guerrero and waited too long, if the Dodgers had any brains they'd have him at 3rd this season. I may have screwed up and took too many Nationals with Harper, Werth & Zimmerman but couldn't pass them up, especially Zimmerman with 5eligible holes to plug him in and I like multi position players

I'm ok with the saves and holds players

Thanks to Posty for accepting my request to join, I have been playing fantasy sports since My Dad and I started Picking PGA players in the '70's (we had 5 keepers), started doing Baseball in the '80's then Football soon after.

My mane is Ted and am 58 years old living in Eugene Oregon, it feels good to be not the only person who's over 50!