Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Name some guilty pleasure songs you really like

I was a full fledged adult like in my mid 30's before I learned this was a song about sex, never thought about it, just sung along.

I love the harmony and whenever I hear it, it makes me happy. I was very young when I heard it and thought it was about fireworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpGRdX5sUAs

I have no idea why I thought this was about fireworks....

I was a full fledged adult like in my mid 30's before I learned this was a song about sex, never thought about it, just sung along.

I love the harmony and whenever I hear it, it makes me happy. I was very young when I heard it and thought it was about fireworks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpGRdX5sUAs

I have no idea why I thought this was about fireworks....

It's easy to tell where the fireworks idea came from. It's mentioned repeatedly in the song.

I'll tell you a story about how naive I was, my gaydar was so completely broken/non-existent that I never realized that Village People's YMCA was a gay anthem until I was in my mid-20s.

It's easy to tell where the fireworks idea came from. It's mentioned repeatedly in the song.

I'll tell you a story about how naive I was, my gaydar was so completely broken/non-existent that I never realized that Village People's YMCA was a gay anthem until I was in my mid-20s.

I don't think it was intentionally gay. Was it an intentionally gay song? I mean, it looked gay but wasn't it art reflecting life sort of....not really about gay life?

Cause then it means right at this very moment I realize the song was gay, lol!

Taken at face value, the song's lyrics extol the virtues of the Young Men's Christian Association. In the gay culture from which the Village People sprang, the song was implicitly understood as celebrating the YMCA's reputation as a popular cruising and hookup spot, particularly for the younger men to whom it was addressed.[11] Willis, the group's lead singer and lyricist, said through his publicist that he did not write "Y.M.C.A." as a gay anthem[12] but as a reflection of young urban black youth fun at the YMCA such as basketball and swimming. That said, he has often acknowledged his fondness for double entendre.

YMCA is only gay because we know that the artists who recorded it are gay. There's nothing in the song itself that would make it gay.

Now, Macho Man might be a different story. ;)

YMCA is only gay because we know that the artists who recorded it are gay. There's nothing in the song itself that would make it gay.

Now, Macho Man might be a different story. ;)

How about "In The Navy"? Kind of like YMCA, just because of the artists...

Back in the 70's the YMCA was a gay haven rivaled perhaps only by the Catholic Church. Young men could stay there overnight if they didn't have much money and no other place to go.

Read the lyrics people. It tells you everything you need to know.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=5276

"It was a open secret back in the 1950-1980s that many gay men met at local YMCA and used it for clandestine sexual encounters. The Village People simply and rather unsubtly wrote and performed a song that was a nod and wink towards that fact."

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-YMCA-become-a-gay-anthem

anything by Cat Stevens

and he had a song in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and I was captivated

ditto......even though I knew it years ago