Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye21

Sammy Watkins Traded to Rams

Well, that's surprising.

Pretty good deal for the Bills, given that it seems unlikely they were going to keep Watkins long term.

Watkins I think takes a hit. Taylor was a great QB for him.

Long term he will still be a FA at the end of the year right so he doesn't need to get stuck with Goff long term right?

Helps Gurley.

Helps JMatt

So the Bills starting WR's are Anquan Boldin and Brandon Tate now? Are they trying to compete with the Jets for #1 overall pick in 2019?

So the Bills starting WR's are Anquan Boldin and Brandon Tate now? Are they trying to compete with the Jets for #1 overall pick in 2019?

J Matthews

There goes any value Watkins had.

Well, they are definitely trying to give Goff the tools to succeed. I guess we can downgrade Tyrod a bit and maybe upgrade Zay Jones.

I dont think they would deal Watkins unless they felt Jones was the real deal. And this is the point in camp when these types of transactions start to happen.

:o

I gotta figure his value (already shaky) just took a hit.

With the Bills you knew he *could* produce IF he managed to stay healthy.

Now a total unknown on the Rams plus his issues with staying on the field. Yikes

And yeah, pretty good trade for the Bills. Don't think they were getting that deal anywhere else

Well, they are definitely trying to give Goff the tools to succeed. I guess we can downgrade Tyrod a bit and maybe upgrade Zay Jones.

I dont think they would deal Watkins unless they felt Jones was the real deal. And this is the point in camp when these types of transactions start to happen.

never mind this post. Bills just acquired Jordan Matthews from the Eagles.

The only persons value that really changes for me is Watkins. He becomes almost DND. I'll never fully put someone as DND, but he'll have to come at a bargain. Tyrod's value is largely due to his running ability so maybe a slight downgrade, but he was without Watkins a lot so not much of a change.. Gurley may receive a slight bump up, but unless they find a QB that's somewhat consistent, his problem of facing a stacked box will remain the same.

Zay Jones should start.

Zay Jones should start.

I think the bills have confidence he can be their #1 wr.

Mathews and Boldin will be 2/3.

I think the bills have confidence he can be their #1 wr.

Mathews and Boldin will be 2/3.

Aren't all 3 of them slot receivers though? I know Boldin played mostly slot in Detroit and Mathews has always played slot in Philly.

The Buffalo Bills announced a shocking trade Friday, dealing wide receiver Sammy Watkins and a 2018 sixth-round draft pick to the Los Angeles Rams for cornerback E.J. Gaines and a 2018 second-round draft pick.

Watkins was set to enter the final year of his contract after Buffalo declined to pick up the fifth-year option on his rookie deal.

Buffalo traded up to select Watkins with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft, and while he has been productive when healthy, he has struggled to stay on the field.

Watkins was limited to eight games last season due to a foot injury, and he finished the campaign with 28 receptions for 430 yards and two touchdowns.

His best year came in 2015 when he registered 60 catches for 1,047 yards and nine scores.

Gaines is set to enter his fourth NFL season, but he too has struggled through injuries.

The 2014 sixth-round pick out of Missouri missed all of 2015 with a foot injury and sat out five games last season.

He started 10 of the 11 games he appeared in last season, registering 56 tackles and no interceptions. He has just two picks during his career.

Like Watkins, Gaines is set to become a free agent next offseason.

Buffalo wasn't done wheeling and dealing there, as it also announced a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, sending cornerback Ronald Darby to Philly for wide receiver Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-round pick.

Matthews figures to replace Watkins as Buffalo's No. 1 receiver with second-round rookie Zay Jones and recently signed veteran Anquan Boldin lending support.

As for Watkins, he will join another former Bills receiver in Robert Woods with the Rams, thus giving second-year quarterback Jared Goff a solid receiving corps when figuring slot receiver Tavon Austin into the Mix

The only persons value that really changes for me is Watkins. He becomes almost DND. I'll never fully put someone as DND, but he'll have to come at a bargain. Tyrod's value is largely due to his running ability so maybe a slight downgrade, but he was without Watkins a lot so not much of a change.. Gurley may receive a slight bump up, but unless they find a QB that's somewhat consistent, his problem of facing a stacked box will remain the same.

Kenny Britt put up respectable numbers last year

Watkins is about 8x better than Britt, if anything this makes Watkins a bargain cause people might be scared off

Kenny Britt put up respectable numbers last year

Watkins is about 8x better than Britt, if anything this makes Watkins a bargain cause people might be scared off

Fair point. The injury history is still a major factor, but I guess if it lowers his price, it may make him a better value.

Hers's what I just posted on our News page...

Whoa. Given the moves this off-season, the Bills are focusing on the future which doesn't included their best receiver. This relocation isn't good news for Watkins fantasy value who now will be catching passes from Jared Goff who was below average in most QB passing categories last season. Perhaps a new offensive system under Sean McVay and a legitimate No.1 will push Goff in the right direction, but there are too many variables to continue valuing Watkins as a high-end WR2.

Bills gonna roll with 3 slot receivers?? I can't see Matthews playing the X. Perhaps Zay is now the deep threat. He ran a 4.45. Bump Shady's value now.

well, one of my leagues starts 2 QB, and now I think I'll target Goff as my #3 QB. I think the price will be cheap, and he has a legit #1 Wr (even if he cant stay healthy)

Keep in mind, in 2 QB leagues all starters and top backups are all rostered.

He still wont be capable of much more than bye week or injury starts in this format unless he takes a step forward. but a healthy Watkins improves his chances of making that step forward (in my opinion)

lol, haven't even looked at the Rams depth charts til now, wouldn't touch Gurley even in the 4th

find it funny the Rams starting WR's now are

Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods

I really think Gurley has a bounce back year and he's actually worth his APD this year. He's talented enough to be the best RB but he comes with risk because of the team he's on. His ADP is actually low enough to take on that risk I think. I'd much rather take him than Elliott right now.

• Like 1

Man Watkins caught the first 3 passes from Taylor yesterday. They looked good. Was mad when someone snagged up Watkins before I could get him yesterday! I'm now super happy he did!!

I really think Gurley has a bounce back year and he's actually worth his APD this year. He's talented enough to be the best RB but he comes with risk because of the team he's on. His ADP is actually low enough to take on that risk I think. I'd much rather take him than Elliott right now.

Agreed. Any RB that is in line to get 300 touches, if healthy, is worth a pick after the top WR are off the board. Also, the new coaching staff seems to want to try and get Gurley the ball in different ways this year.

I'm hoping he moves up in ADP. I don't think he's any good... regardless of who's around him. I'd still take Elliott over him. Elliott in 10 games will probably still outscore Gurley in 16. Heck, last year - by average - he would have! Elliott averaged 20.46 points per game last year. At 10 games, that's 204.6... Gurley had 200.2 in all 16. Seriously, I get his team around him isn't good... but he's just as bad. They need to move on from him after this season.

I'm hoping he moves up in ADP. I don't think he's any good... regardless of who's around him. I'd still take Elliott over him. Elliott in 10 games will probably still outscore Gurley in 16. Heck, last year - by average - he would have! Elliott averaged 20.46 points per game last year. At 10 games, that's 204.6... Gurley had 200.2 in all 16. Seriously, I get his team around him isn't good... but he's just as bad. They need to move on from him after this season.

You seriously just think he's a bad RB? Interesting. Not sure I can agree with that but I'll have a better idea of what he is after this season.

You seriously just think he's a bad RB? Interesting. Not sure I can agree with that but I'll have a better idea of what he is after this season.

Yeah, I think he stinks. He's a completely different style runner now than what he was in college. After he tore his ACL, he has 0 burst/acceleration/speed. He can't out run anyone. After his first 4 games of 100 yards (I believe it was games 2 through 5), he has what, 1 game with 100 yards? That's a lot of games under 100. Heck, go watch a highlight tape of his. Go look at all the "big runs" of over 20 yards. It'll take you 30 seconds... because there's only 2. If you go back to 2 years ago, there's more... like 10, but every one of them came in a 100 yard game. So, in 5 of his games he was able to break off a 20 yard run, but 0 in the other 8. As a point of comparison, over the last 2 years, Latavius Murray has 14 runs over 20 yards, and only 3 of them came in 100 yard games, so it's not like he was just beating up on a couple opponents, like Gurley.

He doesn't make people miss. He can't hit holes fast enough. When he gets outside, he can't turn the corner and break it. He's a really bad RB with a lot of hype. He's probably the most over rated player in the NFL. I will be utterly shocked if he breaks 1,000 yards this season... heck, I don't think he'll get 900. I wouldn't even be surprised if he's under 800.

Yeah, I think he stinks. He's a completely different style runner now than what he was in college. After he tore his ACL, he has 0 burst/acceleration/speed. He can't out run anyone. After his first 4 games of 100 yards (I believe it was games 2 through 5), he has what, 1 game with 100 yards? That's a lot of games under 100. Heck, go watch a highlight tape of his. Go look at all the "big runs" of over 20 yards. It'll take you 30 seconds... because there's only 2. If you go back to 2 years ago, there's more... like 10, but every one of them came in a 100 yard game. So, in 5 of his games he was able to break off a 20 yard run, but 0 in the other 8. As a point of comparison, over the last 2 years, Latavius Murray has 14 runs over 20 yards, and only 3 of them came in 100 yard games, so it's not like he was just beating up on a couple opponents, like Gurley.

He doesn't make people miss. He can't hit holes fast enough. When he gets outside, he can't turn the corner and break it. He's a really bad RB with a lot of hype. He's probably the most over rated player in the NFL. I will be utterly shocked if he breaks 1,000 yards this season... heck, I don't think he'll get 900. I wouldn't even be surprised if he's under 800.

Ahem, Fisher is an archaic dope with the offensive mind of a pop warner coach.

Did you see what Sean McVay did with Fat Rob? That was with a mediocre offensive line. Gurley is going to beast early and often so long as he stays healthy.

• Like 1

LOL He's not that bad. Just with his workload alone he'll be around 900 yards. All he has to do is improve his yards per carry by .5 and he'll have 1,000 yards. He's also good for around 30 catches. I'd be happy to have him as my RB2.

By all means, you guys have my blessing, take him... he's all yours. Polish a turd any way you like... but it's still a turd.

Goff kills Gurley. Forget it. It's over.

Anyone want to take a bet. Loser has to use a humiliating picture as av for a full year.

Gurley gets 1000 + yards rushing this year. (injury clause cant miss more than 3 games or bet is off)

Any takers?

Ahem, Fisher is an archaic dope with the offensive mind of a pop warner coach.

Did you see what Sean McVay did with Fat Rob? That was with a mediocre offensive line. Gurley is going to beast early and often so long as he stays healthy.

are you suggesting that the line here is better? Cuz I dont think it is.

Ok, I didn't realize that PFF had Redskins offensive line ranked as the 7th best unit for 2016. That's actually pretty good. The Rams offensive line this year probably won't be that good, but they won't be 27th like they were last year. They signed Whitworth who graded as the 2nd best overall LT.