Sign in to follow this  
Cuse9

Hall of Fame....fantasy style!

HOF election is coming soon enough, well who is our Fantasy Hall of Famers.....

Sorry Joe Montana and Troy Aikman. You may have been great on the field, but not in fantasy. Walter Payton may have been great, but it was before fantasy! Fantasy football started getting notoriety in the early 90's and really took off in the late 90's and has become a part of the game. I think most of us look forward to see our players do great about as much as we like seeing our favorite team do great!

So...here it is, my all-time fantasy football team:

QB: Peyton Manning, Colts: He's a lock to be top three for 12 years. Hard to top that!

RB: Ladainian Tomlinson, Chargers: He took was Marshall Faulk did and added to it! Massive yards rushing and receiving. Catches, heck, he even threw TD's!

RB: Marshall Faulk, Rams: PPR leagues he was the original stud! He ran for 1000 and had 1000 yards receiving in the same year. Scored over 20 TD's. Just an all around stud!

WR: Randy Moss, Vikings: His God given talents made him a fantasy dream. Huge games, touchdowns. In yardage leagues he was a flatout stud.

WR: Marvin Harrison, Colts: 142 catches in one season!! He was simply a beast in the receiving world. With the rules today he would be even better.

WR: Terrell Owens, 49ers: Antics cost him his career, but performance on the field made him a top receiver to take year after year.

TE: Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs: Took the TE position to another level in fantasy. He was a bigger, more physical wide receiver in a tight end body. His TE stats were consistently in the top five for years!

K: Stephen Gostkowski, Patriots: He's been one of the top kickers year after year. It's almost a given every year he will be the #1 kicker taken in all leagues.

D: Chicago Bears: Playmakers! Obviously this year is not a great year, but it seems like year after year they had playmakers everywhere. Mike Brown, Peanut Tillman taking Int's back for TD's. Devin Hester returning punts and kick offs for TD's. Not to mention they were holding teams to minimal points and yards. Just a dominate fantasy defense for years!!

2nd Team:

QB: Drew Brees, consistently top three.

RB: Edgerrin James, was a duel threat that did it all.

RB: Priest Holmes, was dominate for a short span.

WR: Jerry Rice, for anyone who played in mid 90's, he was a monster.
WR: Torry Holt, big games and consistency.
WR: Calvin Johnson, will prolly be on first team within a few years.
TE: Jimmy Graham, will take Tony G's place soon.
K: Adam Vinatieri, playing for two great teams always allowed him to get points.
D: Baltimore Ravens, on field as good as Bears, but lacked the playmakers of Chicago.

Okay, who is your team and who is the obvious one I missed?

Terrell Davis has to be in the discussion. Over 8 seasons he posted 7,607 rushing yards, 1,280 receiving yards and 65 touchdowns. He was a three time First Team All-Pro, two time Offensive POY, three time AFC rushing leader, 1998 MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 1990's All-Decade Team and he rushed for 2,000 yards in 1998. He was a machine during a time when Mike Shanahan wasn't a fantasy devil with a constant RBBC system.

Terry Allen was also a fantasy stud for a time in the 1990's. During his 10 year career he rushed for 8,614 yards and had 1,601 yards receiving with 79 total touchdowns.

Emmitt Smith was the original fantasy juggernaut and was the inspiration for the RB-RB-RB theory of drafting.

Some honorable mentions:

Shaun Alexander had a good run.

Terrell Davis was dominant for a few years.

Larry Johnson had a couple of amazing half-seasons after Priest went down.

Steve Young was money back in the day.

He was my first ever fantasy pick!

The entire greatest show on turf. I remember having holt, Bruce and Faulk one season..

I actually think your list is pretty good. Some guys not on your list that just miss out or should be in the conversaton are:

WB's: Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Dante Culpepper

RB's: Shaun Alexander, Brian Westbrook, Adrian Pederson

WR's: Larry Fitzgerald, Jimmy Smith

TE: Antonio Gates

in the end, this is a discussion about statistics and math - so really, there are no "opinions"... there are right and wrong answers about who actually put up the BEST fantasy seasons - I don't really care to look them all up but I do think you have most of them listed already.

So instead, I'll list guys that were often undervalued and under appreciated. OR guy who just came out of nowhere.

Scott Mitchell DET - late 90s, has a season that won many fantasy championships

Steve Beuerlein, CAR - late 90s, another out-of nowhere elite QB season

Rod Smith, DEN - produced every year, and took forever before the fantasy community made him a 2nd rounder

Jimmy Smith - another guy that just produced every year but always seemed to be a mid rounder

Charlie Garner - racked up catches and yards to pad the RB stats

James Stewart - took over for Fred Taylor one year and won many leagues for people

I'm sure there are more... but this is what I remember.

Obviously, nothing will ever Top The Fantasy Rushmore of Marshall Faulk/Priest Holmes/Ladanian Tomlinson / Randy Moss

A couple more nominations for the old-timers (non-RB this time):

Sterling Sharpe

Andre Rison

Both were very solid in an era when WRs were generally not very consistent.

Randall Cunningham

A potent dual-threat QB before the league became so pass-happy that even the scrubs put up 4k yards.

in the end, this is a discussion about statistics and math - so really, there are no "opinions"... there are right and wrong answers about who actually put up the BEST fantasy seasons - I don't really care to look them all up but I do think you have most of them listed already.

So instead, I'll list guys that were often undervalued and under appreciated. OR guy who just came out of nowhere.

Steve Beuerlein, CAR - late 90s, another out-of nowhere elite QB season

Rod Smith, DEN - produced every year, and took forever before the fantasy community made him a 2nd rounder

Jimmy Smith - another guy that just produced every year but always seemed to be a mid rounder

Charlie Garner - racked up catches and yards to pad the RB stats

James Stewart - took over for Fred Taylor one year and won many leagues for people

I'm sure there are more... but this is what I remember.

Obviously, nothing will ever Top The Fantasy Rushmore of Marshall Faulk/Priest Holmes/Ladanian Tomlinson / Randy Moss

Fun list there, I'd add Rich Gannon to this most fantasy underappreciated. He was money.

• Like 1

A couple more nominations for the old-timers (non-RB this time):
Sterling Sharpe
Andre Rison
Both were very solid in an era when WRs were generally not very consistent.
Randall Cunningham
A potent dual-threat QB before the league became so pass that even the scrubs put up 4k yards.

yup.

and in that early/mid 90s period, Brett Favre and Ricky Watters were KINGS.

How many years did Shaun Alexander put up seemingly 1400yd and 14tds before being considered for the top overall pick? Dude was an absolute beast for a solid stretch of 5 or so years.

Dug it up. insanity. Behold. rushyds tds, recyds tds.

2001 1318 14, 340 2

2002 1175 16, 460 2

2003 1435 14, 295 2

2004 1696 16, 170 4

2005 1880 27, 78 1

Ridiculous...

The only RB I can see that isn't mentioned (Barry Sanders retired to early for my fantasy football time) was Clinton Portis.

Portis was a fantasy beast for a good 5 or 6 years.

Curtis martin had better stats than garner

Curtis was Mr.Dependable. But fantasy guys would always pass on him for the "more upside" guys. Then Curtis would have a 1100 yards 9TD's and some catches to boot. every.damn.year

Tomlinson is the class of RB's, not even close considering his 9 year run. No RB (that I can see) can match the year in year out stats for that long. The you have a group of Faulk, Holmes, Davis, Emmitt, etc.

QB wise, before the league decided you couldn't touch WR's or QB's anymore to defend them it was Marino and Fouts then Young and Favre. Manning destroyed them all.

Love Tony Gonzalez but didn't Gates really usher in the new era TE? 9 years between 7-13 TD's per season. You could draft him in non-TE leagues because he was so good.

Moss other than his two years in Oakland was simply amazing but Rice is right there too but I guess he could be considered pre-FF. Harrison and Owens were good as gold too.

Fun list there, I'd add Rich Gannon to this most fantasy underappreciated. He was money.

KSB's All Fantasy Team:

QB: Steve Beurlein

RB: Natrone Means

RB: DeShaun Foster

WR: Muhsin Muhummed

WR: Steve Smith

TE: Wesley Walls

K: John Kasay

lol....miss ya in the IBL KSB!! Hope all is good!!

Reggie wayne

Wide Receivers that were studs...

Herman Moore was a pass catching stud back in the day.

Carl Pickens was a top five WR taken.

Cris Carter was a stud

Eric Moulds had some really good years.

Antonio Freeman

Hines Ward

and....Wayne Chrebet!!

Reggie wayne

Hate hating on Reggie Wayne but I get sick of NFL announcers saying, "Future hall of fame WR, reggie wayne..." He was not near the best WR of his generation. Harrison, Moss, Owens, etc were all much better and more dynamic. Not an all timer in FF or real football.

KSB's All Fantasy Team:

QB: Steve Beurlein

RB: Natrone Means

RB: DeShaun Foster

WR: Muhsin Muhummed

WR: Steve Smith

TE: Wesley Walls

K: John Kasay

lol....miss ya in the IBL KSB!! Hope all is good!!

What no Tim Biakabutuka? Okay, maybe not. :)

Good luck to you guys, hope its going well. :cheers:

No to all Colts in the Peyton Era. Didn't play when you needed them most too many times. Had Wayne and Peyton in the championship game in 2006. Thanks for almost nothing.

No to all Colts in the Peyton Era. Didn't play when you needed them most too many times. Had Wayne and Peyton in the championship game in 2006. Thanks for almost nothing.

Good call!! Very true, he was the king of sitting out week 16/17!!

I used to love going after TE's when they were by far the thinnest position so while I don't think these guys are more deserving of Gates and Gonzalez I do think that Todd Heap, Dallas Clark and Shannon Sharpe deserve honorable mentions. Bubba Franks used to be solid in TD only leagues too!

It's crazy that in another 10 years these guys TE numbers will look pedestrian!

Jerry Rice should with out question be on the first team WR list . Back in the eightys before PPR he was a fantasy stud . He was always picked in the first round .

AsshatP doesn't belong anywhere on this list ... even his 'roided up run at the record BARELY made the top 25 seasons for fantasy rbs over the past 20 years.

go look at those absolutely SICK seasons LT, Faulk, Priest, Alexander, Davis, Emmit had in that time span. AsshatP doesn't belong in the same breath ... never hit 20 tds, never a factor in the passing game.

OVER RATED :bandana:

quit taint lapping that foo' :banana:

Mitchell only had one big year - 1995, which made me pick him for my first ever fantasy pick in '96. He proceeded to have a very mediocre year, while Brett Favre, who was still available for me to draft, had a monster year :wall: Mitchell had a slight bounce back in '97, but then he was finished.