Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx vs. iPhone 4S

Don't doooooo eeeeettttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

This powerful perspective pushed me in the direction of thought. When I got to the Sprint store, I played with both the iphone and the new HTC EVO LTE, and I couldnt kid myself, the LTE is way more fun to play with. Its got a nice large ass screen too which is just plain cooler, and it weighs less than the iphone.

Plus, my friend who bought me the phone (bless her) made a good point, I already have the newest ipod. The only difference from the ipod and iphone really is that one is a phone and the other is not, otherwise its pretty much the same fuckin thing.

This thing is BAD ASS :doublethumbsup:

Update$#@! Got the Maxx. Same price as their online site. I'm pretty sure that the S3 is a little better in several areas, although the Maxx battery should still be better, and I'm not sure I want a phone QUITE that big. Mostly though I got it because the S3 isn't out until July, and I may have federal jury duty next week and we're going to Disney for a week on the 4th. Basically a little instant gratification. Also, Verizon is moving away from unlimited data plans in July, and I don't trust them to grandfather me if I pre-order. ICS would have been nice, but it is coming soon on the Maxx, so I figure I'll do just fine with a proven (albeit older) OS and port over after other early adopters wring out the bugs.

Early comments:

- Sweet jeebus this is fast. Websites and videos pop up almost instantly and have run seamlessly so far.

- The move to Android is a big change for me, after a lifetime of Blackberry. The BB has some features and/or ways of doing things which may or may not be better, but they are ingrained in my haid. So while I've hit some "why does it do that?!" moments, I'm chalking it up to Android and not the Maxx specifically. I'll wait until I learn how to use it before drawing a final judgment.

- I dig the Smart Apps. Not sure if this is available on other phones, but you can easily set up custom preferences. E.g., I've set night to only notify me if one of my kids calls or texts, so I can leave it on by the bed at night when the kids sleep over somewhere and know they can reach us.

- Email: Google sync was flawless, with email, calendar, and contacts. Other email addresses though... I have a Yahoo one that didn't sync yesterday, but sync'd today, and I don't know why. My work one is through a GoDaddy server, which should have sync'd fine but I put in the wrong password initially. This was very confusing to change after the fact; in hindsight I should have just deleted it and started over.

- Siri: There are multiple siri-like apps; I just downloaded one called "Assistant" which has gotten great reviews. So far, pretty impressive. It couldn't find my one daughter in my contacts (the putz) but it found my wife and other daughter, not sure why. Maybe it knows how mad I was at her? But it recognizes your voice very well, finds links, maps out locations, calls and texts on voice command.

I meant to respond to this thread the other day and forgot. I made the same switch 2 years ago from BB. There were some things that took me a while to get used to after the switch coming from BB. After a month or so you will never think about your BB again. Enjoy your phone, my brother has the MAXX and loves it.

For the Apple/Droid debate I hope iPhone users understand that they are always overpaying for inferior hardware. In 2007 the Apple iOS software blew everybody else away.. Update, it's no longer 2007..

I'de recommend this article to current iPhone users or anybody thinking of making the switch to a smartphone.

I'm also no Apple hater, my family has 2 iPad's and several iPods.

Update on the "Assistant" app -- your assistant is an anime person, by default a woman who is of course pretty hot because geeky young men designed it. You can go in and change things like hair, eyes, and clothes. My 10 year old daughter has had a blast going in and changing her look.

That being said, I've since learned that the phone already has Google Voice which is similar. Early results are quite impressive. I think I'll use this instead of Assistant and see how it goes.

MotoCast is nice; got all of my pics and vids sync's between my computer and phone over our wireless network. I'll never use one of our "real" cameras again.

Update on the "Assistant" app -- your assistant is an anime person, by default a woman who is of course pretty hot because geeky young men designed it. You can go in and change things like hair, eyes, and clothes. My 10 year old daughter has had a blast going in and changing her look.

That being said, I've since learned that the phone already has Google Voice which is similar. Early results are quite impressive. I think I'll use this instead of Assistant and see how it goes.

MotoCast is nice; got all of my pics and vids sync's between my computer and phone over our wireless network. I'll never use one of our "real" cameras again.

I got the HTC Incredible 2 years ago. It has been a great purchase. I stumbled on to voice search when I got the phone and use it for everything. IPhone didn't have Suri then and users couldn't believe how great it worked. It understands my Iowa voice much better then it picks up my friends voices here in Texas though. I am looking to make the move to the Maxx for the battery life. Glad to find this thread!

I got the HTC Incredible 2 years ago. It has been a great purchase. I stumbled on to voice search when I got the phone and use it for everything. IPhone didn't have Suri then and users couldn't believe how great it worked. It understands my Iowa voice much better then it picks up my friends voices here in Texas though. I am looking to make the move to the Maxx for the battery life. Glad to find this thread!

The battery is amazing. I used the thing all day yesterday, including watching help videos and a few phone calls and a bunch of exploring, and my daughter spent literally hours watching Netflix with the speaker. At the end of the day it still had 30% battery, and if you look at the battery usage, 1/2 was the screen, so you could lower the brightness and get even more usage if you need.

A lot of people really dig the HTC and Samsung as well. I'm sure each has its features that are unique (like the MotoCast and Smart Apps I've mentioned).

I think I need to start a separate "Android Apps" thread. :thumbsup: