Sign in to follow this  
thesitedoc

Gronk or Graham

Regardless of which round you grab them these are arguably the two TEs that will go first.

I see FFT has Graham as their top TE. My initial reaction was to put Gronk at 1 but maybe the addition of some wr's to the mix, and some reduced td production brings him down a bit where graham may overtake him this year. The ankle seems to be fine.

It's a good debate as Graham really only trailed him in the td department and I think everyone expects those to come down for Gronk this year...maybe they won't though.

Why would they sign Gronkowski to such a lucrative deal and then use him as a diversion to throw to Hernandez? I do see them being closer in points this year but Gronk is a notch above Hernandez at the TE position.

Why would they sign Gronkowski to such a lucrative deal and then use him as a diversion to throw to Hernandez? I do see them being closer in points this year but Gronk is a notch above Hernandez at the TE position.

Good point, but I'd still rather have Hernandez and his ADP.

Hernandez will outproduce Gronkowski this year and is cheaper.

That's an interesting statement. Curious, why do you feel this way?

Hernandez is 22 years old, and has improved considerably each season, I still think there's room to grow.

Hernandez, imo, is an amazing athlete with incredible feet and after the catch ability, people talk about Gronk being a freak, but this guy is no slouch.

Gronkowski is coming off of a career and record setting year, do you really see him replicating that season or doing even better? Anything under 1k+ yards 10+ tds would be a disappointment for where he's currently being drafted.

Gronkowski just got paid.

Hernandez last eight games (including the playoffs) extrapolated he was 102-1156-8 24 rushes 226... It's not a matter of Gronk being a diversion, it's a matter of me personally believing Gronk can't put up last years numbers again, thinking Hernandez will be more consistent week to week, and honestly believing Hernandez is a much more versatile and potent offensive threat than Gronk.

We will see!! :headbanger:

My only reservations have been a fumbling and drops issue, both of which he has looked to put behind him.

Hernandez is a great player and might very well be better value than Gronk (when considering their respective ADPs), especially in PPR leagues.

BUT, Gronk is a beast. Dude is probably going to have almost as many, if not more TDs next year than this year.

Really the only concern with him is injuries. The only reason he was even there for the Pats to take in the second round was because of back injuries in college.

Anyway, I rank Gronk #1 (ahead of Jimmy Graham) but Hernandez is a great option if you want to bolster other positions and try to get by on the cheap at TE.

Hernandez is 22 years old, and has improved considerably each season, I still think there's room to grow.

Hernandez, imo, is an amazing athlete with incredible feet and after the catch ability, people talk about Gronk being a freak, but this guy is no slouch.

Gronkowski is coming off of a career and record setting year, do you really see him replicating that season or doing even better? Anything under 1k+ yards 10+ tds would be a disappointment for where he's currently being drafted.

Gronkowski just got paid.

Hernandez last eight games (including the playoffs) extrapolated he was 102-1156-8 24 rushes 226... It's not a matter of Gronk being a diversion, it's a matter of me personally believing Gronk can't put up last years numbers again, thinking Hernandez will be more consistent week to week, and honestly believing Hernandez is a much more versatile and potent offensive threat than Gronk.

We will see!! :headbanger:

My only reservations have been a fumbling and drops issue, both of which he has looked to put behind him.

I do not expect Gronk to catch 17 TD's again, not sure how many others feel this way, as I believe Gronk scores about 13 TD's or so. I think Brandon Lloyd will cut into the numbers of both Hernandez and Gronk. I like how you explained your reasoning. I'll be curious to see how it plays out.

So far Gronk is pretty far ahead in this race. Although the ankle injury will slow him some this year I believe. Graham could get close. I see them about even with Gronk a slight edge or two. He has the better QB and definitely better coach. No Bounty mess to deal with either.

I dont see myself taking either to be honest.. just not worth the high pick investment that will be needed. but if I had to choose I would take Gronk, but its close..

I dont see myself taking either to be honest.. just not worth the high pick investment that will be needed. but if I had to choose I would take Gronk, but its close..

It's those 2 TE's and then there is a drop off between guys like V. Davis, Finley, Gates, etc. In a redraft, I could see both of them gone by early 3rd round, maybe even mid 2nd round. They both outproduced almost every WR not named Megatron. I wouldn't mind either guy on my team but to each his/her own.

Gronkowski. He's huge, including his freakish hands, he gets the seperation he needs, he catches everything (73% last year), he may be the 2nd best endzone threat in the NFL after Calvin Johnson, and Tom Terrific has complete faith in him. Why does Tom have faith in him? Because Gronk rarely ever lets Tom down. The same cannot be said for Hernandez. Those thinking Hernandez will have a better year than Gronk are kidding themselves.

It's just a feeling for me but I think I'm going to be staying away from Saints players this year. There's a dark cloud hanging over that team and I don't know if they can overcome all the bad karma.

I don't necessarily think Hernandez will have a better year than Gronk, but he certainly has the talent/ability to. Hernandez finished with 79-910-7 last year and that was in only 14 games. In 16 games, that would be 90-1040-8. He also added another 50 yards rushing. In 3 postseason games, he actually rushed for 70 yards. Gronk is the better red zone target but I'd actually rather Hernandez between the 20's. He averaged more targets per game than Gronk did last season. He can lineup all over the field. I think their production will be closer this year and Hernandez is the MUCH better value in drafts.

That being said, I'd pick Graham over Gronk. Graham was easily Brees' favorite target last year and averaged over 9 targets per game (Gronk averaged under 8, Hernandez just over 8). I think Graham is much more likely to match or better his numbers from last year, so I like him over Gronk, especially in PPR leagues.

given gronks injury history, and the addition of brandon lloyd, id go graham. If anything, the situation for graham is the same or better imo.

but then again i wouldnt take either early.

Just took Graham at 6th overall in our dynasty league. I think him and gronk end up within a point of each other average point wise.

Gronkowski. He's huge, including his freakish hands, he gets the seperation he needs, he catches everything (73% last year), he may be the 2nd best endzone threat in the NFL after Calvin Johnson, and Tom Terrific has complete faith in him. Why does Tom have faith in him? Because Gronk rarely ever lets Tom down. The same cannot be said for Hernandez. Those thinking Hernandez will have a better year than Gronk are kidding themselves.

True. A lot of people never realized this or keep forgetting it: Hernandez has had several bad drops in key game situations. He's still a very good player, but that's one significant knock against him.

Gronk and Graham had career years for themselves and career years for the position. Both should drop considerably in 2012 just statistically speaking. A healthy Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Lloyd now in New England and a new offensive coordinator make it very difficult for Gronk to approach 2011 numbers. Is Gronk even healed from his high ankle sprain? Pierre Thomas was garbage the next year after his late season ankle sprain in 2010.

Antonio Gates 3-4 rounds later. In a redraft, of course.

Um, doesn't a post like this require a poll? :dunno:

I'll take Graham, I think the numbers that Graham put up last year will be more indicative of his typical production where I think Gronk's numbers last year are a statistical anomaly. Lloyd and Hernandez will both cut into his numbers (remember, Hernandez was coming back from injury and they had NOBODY on the outside last year) where Graham might be even more valuable now. Like many of the other posters, I like Hernandez to be a better value later to draft over both.

Antonio Gates 3-4 rounds later. In a redraft, of course.

I usually end up with Gates on one of my teams. Although looking at mocks and ADP's, I'm really liking Aaron Hernandez a round later than Gates, especially in PPR leagues.

I usually end up with Gates on one of my teams. Although looking at mocks and ADP's, I'm really liking Aaron Hernandez a round later than Gates, especially in PPR leagues.

I got gates in the seventh. It can happen.

You idiots saying u want Hernandez over gronk are on reefer. Gronk could catch 20 Tds. He had a career year sure, but u all said after his first huge year that he would come down to earth. He didn't. Hernandez might be a good value an gronk might be expensive but were talkin about a guy in a legendary position with Tom Brady to put up epic numbers again.

Graham is also a beast as well but I like gates better than both of em as far as value.

You idiots saying u want Hernandez over gronk are on reefer. Gronk could catch 20 Tds. He had a career year sure, but u all said after his first huge year that he would come down to earth. He didn't. Hernandez might be a good value an gronk might be expensive but were talkin about a guy in a legendary position with Tom Brady to put up epic numbers again.

Graham is also a beast as well but I like gates better than both of em as far as value.

I didn't I actually created this thread... http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=385443&st=0&p=4522920&fromsearch=1entry4522920

I'll take my statement down a notch, PPR I'd take Hernandez over Gronk, traditional scoring Gronk all day.

Gronk may actually change the game, if he hasn't already.

I mean, for years there was this top tier of TE's, it was called the Gonzo tier, and was just one guy. Times have changed. Drew Brees is an excellent QB, but he likes to spread it around a lot. I had Drew last year and he was awesome, but trying to figure out which target he is gonna hit any given week is tough. Drew Brees is the guy you want, not his TE. Same could be said for Eli Manning. His TE should have good numbers, no matter who it is. Who's the TE in Denver? There are new issues to consider this year.

I think in the next few years, unless he gets hurt (highly possible), Gronk will be the best TE in NFL history. He will change the game. He's a freak of nature too, though. Nobody has ever been that big, fast, strong and smart.

Gronk may actually change the game, if he hasn't already.

I mean, for years there was this top tier of TE's, it was called the Gonzo tier, and was just one guy. Times have changed. Drew Brees is an excellent QB, but he likes to spread it around a lot. I had Drew last year and he was awesome, but trying to figure out which target he is gonna hit any given week is tough. Drew Brees is the guy you want, not his TE. Same could be said for Eli Manning. His TE should have good numbers, no matter who it is. Who's the TE in Denver? There are new issues to consider this year.

I think in the next few years, unless he gets hurt (highly possible), Gronk will be the best TE in NFL history. He will change the game. He's a freak of nature too, though. Nobody has ever been that big, fast, strong and smart.

Graham is just as physically gifted and he is 2 inched taller. Last year graham scored enough points to put him at the top of almost any other year at the TE position. So why would you not want him?

Also I would put gates in the gonzo tier.

Today?

No Gates is better than Gonzo at this stage of Gonzo's career. GF said the top tier of TE for the past decade was the "Gonzo" tier with only 1 man in it. I stated that I would have put Gates in that top tier also. Currtenly I put Gates in tier 1b. Just behind Gronk and Graham but above everyone else.

I'm saying Hernandez in the 5th or 6th round is better value than Gronk in the 1st or 2nd. I'd still take Gronk over Hernandez, but I think it could be close in PPR.

Agree on Gates. I like his value as well.

I'd go with Graham. I think he's virtually assured of 1,000+ yards and double digit TDs in that offense. He was also remarkably durable last year.

Gronk should be fine too but the reason I'd take Graham over him is that the Pats spread the ball around a lot and Brandon Lloyd will be another mouth to feed. TDs are harder to predict than yards and I expect Gronk won't be scoring 15 of them again. And honestly, I think Hernandez is equally if not more talented as a receiver and it won't shock me at all if he ends up having a better season at a considerably lower draft position.

All that said, I think both these guys will go in the first half of the 2nd round in most drafts and that's too rich for my blood. I'll be targeting Hernandez, Vernon or Whitten in the later rounds and I'd much rather take Hernandez in the 5th than Gronk 3 rounds earlier.

I'd go with Graham. I think he's virtually assured of 1,000+ yards and double digit TDs in that offense. He was also remarkably durable last year.

Gronk should be fine too but the reason I'd take Graham over him is that the Pats spread the ball around a lot and Brandon Lloyd will be another mouth to feed. TDs are harder to predict than yards and I expect Gronk won't be scoring 15 of them again. And honestly, I think Hernandez is equally if not more talented as a receiver and it won't shock me at all if he ends up having a better season at a considerably lower draft position.

All that said, I think both these guys will go in the first half of the 2nd round in most drafts and that's too rich for my blood. I'll be targeting Hernandez, Vernon or Whitten in the later rounds and I'd much rather take Hernandez in the 5th than Gronk 3 rounds earlier.

I don't think it's close with the two. Gronk is a monster 6'6" 265 lbs with 10 3/4" hands and great speed for his size at 4.68 40. Hernandez is 6'1" 245 lbs ran a 4.64 40 yd dash at his pro day with 9 3/4" hands. Gronk has better hands, is much taller and larger, and they run virtually the same. I am going to stick with the big guy on this one.

I don't think it's close with the two. Gronk is a monster 6'6" 265 lbs with 10 3/4" hands and great speed for his size at 4.68 40. Hernandez is 6'1" 245 lbs ran a 4.64 40 yd dash at his pro day with 9 3/4" hands. Gronk has better hands, is much taller and larger, and they run virtually the same. I am going to stick with the big guy on this one.

I agree with this analysis. Hernandez is a nifty receiver but Gronk is a total beast. One of them has practically revolutionized the position while the other never will.

I'll stick with my prediction: Graham outscores Gronk, Hernandez is pretty close and presents a much better value. And given their high price tag, I'll take a lower tier TE like Vernon or Witten several rounds later or Jared Cook at the end of the draft.

Hernandez is a much more fluid athlete than Gronk, runs better (and more) routes, has great hands as well, something like a 70% target to catch rate, is much more elusive in open space, and can be lined up on more spots on the field than Gronk. He also entered the league @ 20, I'm sure he's put on weight and is closer to 6' 2" 260 by now.

It will be very interesting to see how the NE passing attack plays out.

I'll take Graham this year (although I won't take either...they'd go to high in a snake and cost too much in an auction). Gronk is a beast, but Hernandez is a stud, too. Odds are Gronk won't match last year's numbers. No TE has repeated as #1 in consecutive years since '05/'06 (Gates). Actually, for any position player to repeat #1 is quite rare in the past 7-8 years. That said, maybe this is actually the year Jermichael Finley lives up to his athletic ability??