Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Freeman has a concussion.

That Coleman train is loading up. Choo Chooooooooo!!

I truly think that money talks and that contract tells us who management wants to be the long term starter.

So long as Freeman is able to play week 1 there is no reason to get that Coleman train running.

Barring injury or ineffectiveness by Freeman, I expect the same stats for Coleman this year as he got last year.

As far as Freeman/Coleman two headed monster thing. Does the OC Shannahan leaving change things? Coleman had a lot of long receiving TD's last year and it seems that will be tough to repeat.

Coleman was taken in the 3rd round in 2015, and he's Quinn's guy. I thought for sure he would have taken over for Freeman going into last year, but we all know how that turned out.

Coleman's contract is up after next year whereas Freemans next out is in 2020 (and ATL would still eat 6mil in dead cap space).

I think they let both backs split the load over this year and maybe next, then do a deal to move Coleman IF Freeman is still producing.

Coleman is a must have cuff with stand alone value if you own Freeman ala Henry/Murray, but it would take significant injury for him to take over.

Jay Ajayi had a concussion too and just got out of the concussion protocol yesterday, exactly two weeks after he got his bell rung.

What worries me is one more concus for either Ajayi or Freeman and they could be out a while.

This.

Pre season concussions must be factored in to the drafting equation.

Coleman was taken in the 3rd round in 2015, and he's Quinn's guy. I thought for sure he would have taken over for Freeman going into last year, but we all know how that turned out.

Coleman's contract is up after next year whereas Freemans next out is in 2020 (and ATL would still eat 6mil in dead cap space).

I think they let both backs split the load over this year and maybe next, then do a deal to move Coleman IF Freeman is still producing.

Coleman is a must have cuff with stand alone value if you own Freeman ala Henry/Murray, but it would take significant injury for him to take over.

I agree that the smart move is to trade one of them.

the question is.... which one do they unload.

Personally, I would have been inclined to trade Freeman, save the cap space. his value is high, they probably could have got a nice pick or a very good player and done almost as well with Tevin.

this may still be the plan, but Tevin Coleman likely is easier to trade because he wont be asking for huge money.

Either way, one of them will be gone within 2 years. That much I know for sure.

What worries me is one more concus for either Ajayi or Freeman and they could be out a while.

Yes this is my concern with Ajayi. Sounds like he'll be okay from this one but if there's another one he could be out indefinitely.

Need to hear more news on Freeman.

I don't see why you make a guy the highest paid RB to have him split carries.

I don't see why a team makes Devonta Freeman the highest payed running back in the game. What a waste of cap space

I don't see why a team makes Devonta Freeman the highest payed running back in the game. What a waste of cap space

I'm on the fence. There aren't very many great backs in the league and you know someone else would pay him. It's frustrating watching my team go without a great back year after year.

I'm on the fence. There aren't very many great backs in the league and you know someone else would pay him. It's frustrating watching my team go without a great back year after year.

What RBs have gotten huge contracts in free agency? Seems to me like you have to go back ten years at this point

What RBs have gotten huge contracts in free agency? Seems to me like you have to go back ten years at this point

I can't think of anyone recently who tested the market that wasn't old/washed up. Most end up with a new contract or get traded. I think another team would have paid Freeman. I also think someone else will pay Bell if the Steelers don't ink a long-term deal.

Latavius Murray received a solid contract from the Vikings, and, IMO, Freeman is significantly better. Murray is $5M average salary. Freeman is $8.25M average salary.

DeMarco Murray is getting $6.3M.

Edit: Lamar Miller is getting $6.5M.

He is not a great back. He runs untouched too many times. A solid back with pretty good hands who works in Atlanta's offense? Yeah I agree. When I think great I think David Johnson or Leveon Bell. Freeman would get squashes were he in Djohns position

I can't think of anyone recently who tested the market that wasn't old/washed up. Most end up with a new contract or get traded. I think another team would have paid Freeman. I also think someone else will pay Bell if the Steelers don't ink a long-term deal.

I doubt it.

Maybe Bell since he's supposed to be one of the two best at his position.

But all these other guys get chump change on the market.

Look at legarette Blount after the season he had last year. Pats didn't even bother bringing him back and instead paid a relative pittance to gillislee. Philly signs Blount but he ain't getting paid that much.

It's just not a position that's valued in the marketplace. Atlanta is either ahead of a new trend towards valuing the RB position or, more likely, they made a stupid and unnecessary move in giving Freeman that contract.