Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Ok ok ok. One more fishing question.

I fish a lot with topwater lures. Floating grubs and I love using hollow body frogs. The ones with the double hooks. I miss a lot of short strikes on the leg area. Have any of you used a trailer hook for those ?

my son is awesome with frogs. no trailer. ruins action. just got to learn how/when to set hook....but they are tougher than most lures. short strikes for sure.

when we go bass fishing...i only use a hook and senko. he yells at me.

Try using a smaller frog.

I have. I have a box of varying sizes and colors. I just seem to lose a lot of them on leg strikes.(kobra Kai?) I want something that can trail to that spot for the short strikes. I can set it easy on the hard ones. Ya just pop it as hard as ya can.

I throw frogs in thick lily pads occasionally and generally catch dink bass, but all topwater hits are fun. Never used a trailer hook on a frog through... wouldn't that just snag on the pads?

Just remember with all topwaters - wait to feel some weight of the bass before setting the hook. Setting the hook upon seeing/hearing the hit is way too soon - rookie mistake. Gotta feel some weight.

• Like 1

I throw frogs in thick lily pads occasionally and generally catch dink bass, but all topwater hits are fun. Never used a trailer hook on a frog through... wouldn't that just snag on the pads?

Just remember with all topwaters - wait to feel some weight of the bass before setting the hook. Setting the hook upon seeing/hearing the hit is way too soon - rookie mistake. Gotta feel some weight.

it seems like the lake fork one fits really well and does not snag because it rides above the pads

5 inch Berkeley gulp shad rigged weedless

They are stiff enough to hold off weeds but the gulp are soft enough to pull the hook through when a fish bites

You will double hookup rate over a frog

I usually go later at night when the gettins good. Little tip I learned is not to set your hook too early but you also dont want to wait until the end of the night. I also use basic alcohol. Not kidding..like just regular beer.

Wait I'm sorry you're catching fish....I was talking about how I nail your mother.