Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

Cops seize $12K 'tip'

Should the waitress get the money back? My link

Stacy Knutson, a struggling Minnesota waitress and mother of five, says she was searching for a "miracle" to help her family with financial problems.

But that "miracle" quickly came and went after police seized a $12,000 tip that was left at her table. Knutson filed a lawsuit in Clay County District Court stating that the money is rightfully hers. Police argue it is drug money.

Knutson was working at the Fryn' Pan in Moorhead, Minn., when, according to her attorney, Craig Richie, a woman left a to-go box from another restaurant on the table.

Knutson followed the woman to her car to return the box to her.

"No I am good, you keep it," the woman said, according to the lawsuit.

Knutson did not know the woman and has not seen her since, Richie said. Knutson thought it was "strange" that the woman told her to keep it but she took it inside. The box felt too heavy to be leftovers, Ritchie said, so she opened it -- only to find bundles of cash wrapped in rubber bands.

"Even though I desperately needed the money as my husband and I have five children, I feel I did the right thing by calling the Moorhead Police," Knutson said in the lawsuit.

Police seized the money and originally told Knutson that if no one claimed it after 60 days, it was hers. She was later told 90 days, Richie said. When 90 days passed, Knutson was still without the $12,000.

Police told Knutson the money was being held as "drug money" and she would receive a $1,000 reward instead, the lawsuit states. Lt. Tory Jacobson of the Moorhead police said he could not disclose much information about the case because it is an ongoing investigation.

"With turning this money over to us, we initiated an investigation to determine whose money this is," Jacobson told ABC News. "The result has been a narcotics investigation."

Police argue that the money had a strong odor of marijuana and therefore falls under a law that allows for forfeiture of the money because it was in the proximity of a controlled substance, the lawsuit states. But there were no drugs in the box and Richie said he believes this law is not being used correctly.

"Because it was in contact with drugs somewhere along the line, it's somehow drug money," Richie said. "This isn't drug money."

A police dog also performed a sniff test on the money and, according to the dog's handler, discovered an odor.

Two of Knutson's co-workers, along with her son Brandon, were at the Fryn' Pan the night she discovered the money. Her co-workers say they did not smell marijuana.

"I know the smell of marijuana," Nickolas Fronning, a line cook at the Fryn' Pan, said in an affidavit. :lol: "I can also assure you that there was no smell of marijuana on the bills or coming from the box."

There was nothing suspicious in the restaurant when the money was found, co-workers said. They don't why it was given to Knutson.

"She was just in the right place at the right time," Tracy Johnson, the assistant manager at the Fryn' Pan, told ABC News.

Knutson's family has had a long financial struggle. She has been a waitress at the Fryn' Pan for 18 years.

"We do everything we can to make ends meet, but often times everything is not covered," she said in the lawsuit.

Knutson's financial woes are well-known in her church, Richie said. She believes that perhaps someone from the church gave her the money through this woman but did not want to be identified. :rolleyes:

"Somebody knew she really needed the money and she needed to be helped," Richie said.

Jacobson says it is up to the judge to decide who the money rightfully belongs to.

"The police department doesn't have a decision on either side," Jacobson said. "She did the right thing, we credit her with that. It's certainly not the police department against her. We're actually with her."

But Richie said he firmly believes this is not drug money and it rightfully belongs to Knutson.

"The only thing that smells bad about this is that it's unfair," Richie said. "So that's why we're doing something about it."

"Stacy Knutson, a struggling Minnesota waitress and mother of five, says she was searching for a "miracle" to help her family with financial problems"

I am about as compassionate as they come - but c'mon. A mother of 5, on a waitress' salary? At what point in time does it click that you shouldn't be popping kids out if you can't focking feed them??? :wall:

Heard on Bob and Tom this morning that she finally got it back. Focking cops tried to get sneaky and as soon as the public outcry started, they caved.

How do you get money to smell like marijuana?

That's the only way I give these cops a break, is if they happened to find residue of some sort on the bills.

"Stacy Knutson, a struggling Minnesota waitress and mother of five, says she was searching for a "miracle" to help her family with financial problems"

I am about as compassionate as they come - but c'mon. A mother of 5, on a waitress' salary? At what point in time does it click that you shouldn't be popping kids out if you can't focking feed them??? :wall:

This.

It's got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It always seems like the people who can least afford them have the most kids. IDGI.

This.

It's got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. It always seems like the people who can least afford them have the most kids. IDGI.

Along these same lines..it's the turds that have no physical issues in sh*tting them out like bunnies, while many decent women have to jump through every medical hoop possible just to conceive.

Along these same lines..it's the turds that have no physical issues in sh*tting them out like bunnies, while many decent women have to jump through every medical hoop possible just to conceive.

Many 'decent' women delay having kids for education/career. Might explain their decreased fertility.

Also having five kids will make just about anyone struggle financially.

Many 'decent' women delay having kids for education/career. Might explain their decreased fertility.

Also having five kids will make just about anyone struggle financially.

So that's your answer? How about looking at the comment Shovel made without searching for an answer that may or may not be the case. The fact is, yes some women wait to have children lessining their chances of pregnancy, but the fact also remains of what Shovel said.

You are the King of this type of sh1t!

So that's your answer? How about looking at the comment Shovel made without searching for an answer that may or may not be the case. The fact is, yes some women wait to have children lessining their chances of pregnancy, but the fact also remains of what Shovel said.

You are the King of this type of sh1t!

You're right. It's just them damn trashy ho's stealing from the collective fertility of the quality women. :mad:

So...a mother of five with financial troubles is 'given' 12K. If I'm the cops, I'd be suspicious too. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last on this story. :unsure:

So...a mother of five with financial troubles is 'given' 12K. If I'm the cops, I'd be suspicious too. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last on this story. :unsure:

They had 90 days to explore their suspicions :dunno:

They had 90 days to explore their suspicions :dunno:

Don't get me wrong. She should have the money by law, I just think something will pop up on where this money came from. This is less than 100 miles from me, people around here don't just walk in and hand someone that much cash. Wouldn't surprise me if she was the one selling drugs and needed a way to launder the $$$.

Don't get me wrong. She should have the money by law, I just think something will pop up on where this money came from. This is less than 100 miles from me, people around here don't just walk in and hand someone that much cash. Wouldn't surprise me if she was the one selling drugs and needed a way to launder the $$$.

Agreed. It certainly doesn't make a lot of sense. But if they can't figure it out within the allotted time, she wins the drug lottery.

You're right. It's just them damn trashy ho's stealing from the collective fertility of the quality women. :mad:

Wrong again - The trashy ho's you speak of seem to pop em out like turds. That's the fact I'm referring to. :thumbsup:

This is the reason why people hate cops.I read somewhere once that all money has drug residue on it and if you had a large amount of circulated bill you are sure to set off some type of red flag if the cops wanted to ###### with you.

This is the reason why people hate cops.I read somewhere once that all money has drug residue on it and if you had a large amount of circulated bill you are sure to set off some type of red flag if the cops wanted to ###### with you.

This is the reason people hate drug abusers.

Cops lie ... under oath ... all the time. Most of the time, nobody pays attention. It's not about justice ... it's about booking another prosecution. Doesn't matter if you are black or white .... it's happened to me .... cops lied in court to make their case better, under oath! Committed perjury to prove trespassing and disorderly conduct. Who's the judge gonna believe?

But when it's white cops against black or brown people it's racism. When it's poor white people ... that can't afford lawyers ... and the NAACP doesn't care ... where's the justice? Where's the equality?

What I'm saying is .... maybe things aren't as much about race as people think. It's about money, and power.

Justice .... is for the rich, in America today. Kinda defeats the whole concept of justice ... doesn't it?

And what are you gonna do to change it?

Nothing. You can't change it. A lot of people's jobs depend on sending people to jail, and to their death. Does any civilized country in Europe still kill it's prisoners and ignore that they are raped .... well no .... but we are America. We are allowed to kill certain people .... because we know better.

We dunno shiat.

drug abusers.

Like beating drugs with a belt or something?

Like beating drugs with a belt or something?

Truthfully I don't care about recreational drug use, but find it a little sad that this is the way many people address mental illness. :wave:

Truthfully I don't care about recreational drug use, but find it a little sad that this is the way many people address mental illness. :wave:

A lot of people can't afford healthcare and self medicate.

A lot of people can't afford healthcare and self medicate.

True. Even more can't admit they have a problem, or waste all their money that could be dedicated to conventional health care.

True. Even more can't admit they have a problem, or waste all their money that could be dedicated to conventional health care.

Why change something that works. If you go to a doc they are going to prescribe you a drug(s). Then you have a record of having a preexisting condition when you try to get insurance. Not to mention that not all conventional health care is going to work. While people who may "abuse" drugs have probably found something that works for them. I have my medical marijuana card for Crohn's disease. I have tried MANY, many, many "conventional" drug therapies and the only thing that keeps me from losing my ever loving mind is smoking pot. It keeps me regular and keeps me from having the spasms that I associate with Crohn's.

Why change something that works. If you go to a doc they are going to prescribe you a drug(s). Then you have a record of having a preexisting condition when you try to get insurance. Not to mention that not all conventional health care is going to work. While people who may "abuse" drugs have probably found something that works for them. I have my medical marijuana card for Crohn's disease. I have tried MANY, many, many "conventional" drug therapies and the only thing that keeps me from losing my ever loving mind is smoking pot. It keeps me regular and keeps me from having the spasms that I associate with Crohn's.

We've been through this before. You haven't tried the newest, most effective disease modifying agents for IBD. I don't care if you like smoking pot, just don't sugarcoat it with its purported 'medicinal' benefits. Not saying they don't exist. But there is no good data support MJ for IBD, and its use is discouraged by the major gastroenterology societies.

Pot is less problematic than other drugs and alcohol for sure - those 'therapies' have many consequences. The short term high doesn't treat the underlying disease and creates other health concerns down the line. The side effects of prescribed drugs pale in comparison to diseases like cirrhosis, heart failure and cancer, for example. Not to mention implicit support for the crimes which fuel the illegal drug industry. Believe me, i'd like many drugs legalized, but until they are, buying illegal stuff impacts a lot more than the people immediately involved in the transaction.

Non-drug therapies are also available for psychiatric illness which characterize addiction BTW.

We've been through this before. You haven't tried the newest, most effective disease modifying agents for IBD. I don't care if you like smoking pot, just don't sugarcoat it with its purported 'medicinal' benefits. Not saying they don't exist. But there is no good data support MJ for IBD, and its use is discouraged by the major gastroenterology societies.

I maintain that the major gastroenterology societies are either shills for big pharma or are blinded by the fact that the government "claims" no medical use for pot. I am not sugarcoating anything. Its a FACT that ingesting pot helps me. Its a fact that I have no health insurance to try out these new therapies, that may or may not work as good as what I currently use. Its a fact that I can grow my own medicine and not be dependent upon anyone else for my care. That's not sugarcoating......that is just what is real.

I maintain that the major gastroenterology societies are either shills for big pharma or are blinded by the fact that the government "claims" no medical use for pot. I am not sugarcoating anything. Its a FACT that ingesting pot helps me. Its a fact that I have no health insurance to try out these new therapies, that may or may not work as good as what I currently use. Its a fact that I can grow my own medicine and not be dependent upon anyone else for my care. That's not sugarcoating......that is just what is real.

You would be more credible if you didn't smoke it recreationally - did you do so before your diagnosis? I never said MJ didn't help your symptoms, but you still are not treating the disease process - if treated appropriately, your symptoms will abate.

The medical literature (including non-pharma, non-government sponsored studies) contains very little data to support medicinal benefit from pot. More studies need to be done, but until they are, you might as well take a sugar pill than sugarcoat enjoying your high.

I'd be willing to bet you could afford insurance if your priorities were different, but if you would rather stick with a decriminalized drug than more effective medicine, more power to you. :thumbsup:

You would be more credible if you didn't smoke it recreationally - did you do so before your diagnosis? I never said MJ didn't help your symptoms, but you still are not treating the disease process - if treated appropriately, your symptoms will abate.

The medical literature (including non-pharma, non-government sponsored studies) contains very little data to support medicinal benefit from pot. More studies need to be done, but until they are, you might as well take a sugar pill than sugarcoat enjoying your high.

I'd be willing to bet you could afford insurance if your priorities were different, but if you would rather stick with a decriminalized drug than more effective medicine, more power to you. :thumbsup:

your last sentence is why I have a huge issue with NHC and "handouts"in general. The poorest of the poor, yes I will be happy to help them, but what % of the people on the dole truly don't have the choice you mention?

your last sentence is why I have a huge issue with NHC and "handouts"in general. The poorest of the poor, yes I will be happy to help them, but what % of the people on the dole truly don't have the choice you mention?

The abuse % is too high, but not so high that we should scrap efforts to help the needy. One's perception of how many are milking the system has a major influence on political ideology IMO. Too bad there aren't objective numbers to guide us.

Although some abuse is tolerable to help those truly in need, there are plenty of areas where I struggle not to get jaded. Healthcare is a good example, as I'd estimate the vast majority of illness is self-inflicted - why should we collectively pay for those who choose to abuse their bodies? On the other hand, we've all made bad choices and shouldn't tolerate suffering when it can be ameliorated, period.