Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I've been geeking out with the Tiger Woods My Swing app all day. Cost me $5, but it allows me to record my swing on my phone. Tiger explains the lines of the swing he pays attention to. You then draw the lines over your swing. Super slow mo or advance frame by frame. I can even go side by side with my swing compared to Tiger's frame by frame. Down the line or face on, every club in the bag.

I recommend it to anyone that's into their swing. I feel like it's a game changer if you want it to be.

My Swing

Anyone catch the end of the Sony Open y-day? Holy cow, what a finish. Both Henley and Clark posted 63's - Clark birding the last 4 holes, Henley the last 5. That was some of the best clutch putting I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

anyone use or can recommend a good, free, handicap/stat tracker? not even looking for an app, just a website will do.

I have not kept a legit handicap since high school. I just explain to people that a normal day is the low 80's. But as part of my 2013 resolution to play more golf, I would like to keep an actual, albeit not official, handicap. I'm also looking for a website that can keep track of some %'s like GIR, FIR as well as putts per round. Free ofcourse.

I know Yahoo has a handicap index and they allow you to enter fairways and greens hit as well as putts but it doesn't seem to be a user friendly interface (like most thinks yahoo sports) and no nifty easy to see %'s.

anyone use or can recommend a good, free, handicap/stat tracker? not even looking for an app, just a website will do.

I have not kept a legit handicap since high school. I just explain to people that a normal day is the low 80's. But as part of my 2013 resolution to play more golf, I would like to keep an actual, albeit not official, handicap. I'm also looking for a website that can keep track of some %'s like GIR, FIR as well as putts per round. Free ofcourse.

I know Yahoo has a handicap index and they allow you to enter fairways and greens hit as well as putts but it doesn't seem to be a user friendly interface (like most thinks yahoo sports) and no nifty easy to see %'s.

Yeah I have just been using Yahoo's for years. Don't keep track of any stats though. Just the courses and scores. Hopefully someone can recommend a cool site.

if you have a smartphone there are a ton of apps that let you do that... I bought airvue golf which is a gps app that has all the local courses i play at... has good stat keeping and no monthly fees... Just $5 or something that i paid.

Ha, oh man - this is greatness! I really like the end when Tiger tells the kid that he will learn..... Anyone remember the infamous interview Tiger did with Curtis Strange right when Tiger first came out? He was cocky and he was arrogant - told Strange that 2nd sucks and nothing else mattered. Strange smirked at him and said, "you'll learn..." :overhead:

Crazy ass ruling this morning in Abu Dhabi. Tiger DQ'd for taking an illegal drop. I've never heard of this particular rule as it pertains to sand. Then again, I have never played in Dhabi - so f'me I guess.......... Saturday & Sunday - sunny, light breezes, middle 60's - 27 both days on the horizon. :banana:

Saturday & Sunday - sunny, light breezes, middle 60's - 27 both days on the horizon. :banana:

I'm getting in 18 with my dad tomorrow morning at Stevens Park. Have you played it since the remodel? They have about twice as much sand as necessary in each bunker, but otherwise it's become one of my favorite courses.

Working on some big swing changes, so if I can put up something in the 80's, I'll be a happy camper.

I've been geeking out with the Tiger Woods My Swing app all day. Cost me $5, but it allows me to record my swing on my phone. Tiger explains the lines of the swing he pays attention to. You then draw the lines over your swing. Super slow mo or advance frame by frame. I can even go side by side with my swing compared to Tiger's frame by frame. Down the line or face on, every club in the bag.

I recommend it to anyone that's into their swing. I feel like it's a game changer if you want it to be.

My Swing

Thanks for heads up, this looks cool.

And WW, I use the GolfLogix free app on my iPhone. It keeps as many stats as you want it too. Pretty cool. I've noticed that I hit a ton of fairways off my drive but a really low percentage of GIR's. :sadbanana: Guess I need to work on my mid irons.

I'm getting in 18 with my dad tomorrow morning at Stevens Park. Have you played it since the remodel? They have about twice as much sand as necessary in each bunker, but otherwise it's become one of my favorite courses.

Man I have never had the pleasure of playing Stevens - and have always wanted to. I hear it is really pretty - and tight too. I used to play Tenison every now and then in Dallas, but never here.......... Just remember - new clubs have new and different kick points. Do not get frustrated if your timing seems off - and do not just assume your swing is out of whack. We have to learn new clubs just like anything else - takes time.

I'm obsessed with it. I think it's going to make me a much stronger player. My lines are great. I'm a one plane swinger and I keep the club as on plane as the pro's seem to. My spine angle and shoulder tilt lines are about as good as Tiger's as well. My head dips, but no more than Tiger's.

My big hole appears to be that I come way off of the back side line, or "tush line", which admittedly was something I never looked at our thought about until seeing Tiger talk about it on this app. My have to do some drills where I swing with my butt against my bag and keep it there.

It's a fun app. Honestly it has me feeling really good about the fundamentals of my swing. My biggest problems are related to simply not playing enough to be consistent and own my swing under pressure.

And WW, I use the GolfLogix free app on my iPhone. It keeps as many stats as you want it too. Pretty cool. I've noticed that I hit a ton of fairways off my drive but a really low percentage of GIR's. :sadbanana: Guess I need to work on my mid irons.

Ive heard of golflogix. Im assuming it also does handicap? Thanks

Basically I feel like I started the season today. 2nd round with the new clubs. 1st round since I downloaded the Tiger swing app, which has lead to some major swing changes. And speaking of apps, awhile back I downloaded an app called myGolfStats. Today was the first time I actually bothered inputting my stats though.

I hit the ball really solidly today. Stevens Park is a par 70 with six par 3's. I used driver on every other hole and hit 8 of 12 fairways. On a reasonably tight course, that's a pretty solid day with the driver for me. Although with the swing fixes, I think things are about to get easier. I hit 7 of 18 GIR. That includes 4/6 on the par 3's. I'm unsure how that compares to a normal round for me, but I'm keeping stats now so we will see. But I was striking the ball cleanly and putting it pin high for the most part. Caught a few shots thin, but we are getting there.

Where I really really focked myself was with the short game. My scrambling stats were 1/11. I normally consider scrambling to be the strength of my game. Why so bad today? 39 focking putts. That's why. :wall: Number of putts is the one stat I always have kept. Usually I come in right around 32-33, and on occasion I have gotten into the 27-29 range. The highlight of my day was a short par 3. 106 yards and I stick an approach wedge to 2 feet. The lowlight of the day was the ensuing three putt from 2 feet.

Ended up shooting a lackluster 90. Just eliminating three-putts gets me to an 83. And I mixed in a quad late in the day. So I can "if only" myself right into the 70's with way less bullshiit than I normally have to come up with.. :dunno:

I won't post my stats for every round I play. I promise. Probably.

keeping stats is one of the best things you can do. As your FIR and GIR %'s go up, naturally your scores will go down. Same with putts but to me, putts are far less important and less telling. You can have 32 putts but if you hit 0/18 GIR, you're probably not scoring any better than 85 and that's if you're putting for par on every hole.

keeping stats is one of the best things you can do. As your FIR and GIR %'s go up, naturally your scores will go down. Same with putts but to me, putts are far less important and less telling. You can have 32 putts but if you hit 0/18 GIR, you're probably not scoring any better than 85 and that's if you're putting for par on every hole.

I agree that putts are one of the lesser stats when looked at in a vacuum. Simply because the more greens you hit in regulation, the tougher your putts will be. That said if I hit 18 GIR then 39 putts is way too many.

But the stats have me excited. My focus is GIR. I read a golf digest article back in the day that stuck with me. The "aha" thoughts being:

"Most golfers think putting is the biggest factor in scoring, but greens in regulation (GIRs) are much more important. So important, you almost don't need to look at anything else to predict your score. The most useful score-analysis tool I've developed, called "Riccio's Rule" and first published in Golf Digest in 1987, predicts score based on GIRs: Score = 95 – 2 x GIRs. The chart below, based on this rule, shows how GIRs relate to score:

Here's a quick way to remember the effect of GIRs on your score: "Three greens break 90, eight greens break 80, and 13 greens break 70." That prediction is fairly accurate for any single round, and within one stroke about 90 percent of the time when you take the average of four or more rounds."

GIR. I plan to attack this season with renewed vigor, and GIR shall be my obsession.

If you hit zero greens you should have less than 32 putts unless you can't putt. Unless you are not even close to the green when you are missing it.

Just as it may be a lot harder to make putts if you are hitting greens, it is much easier to 1 putt if you are missing greens and have a little pitch up to the hole.

GIR and FIR can be misleading as well. You put it 2 inches onto the green with a back pin and it goes down as a GIR just as if you stuck it. You miss a fairway and into the first cut of rough, not much if any bit of a penalty...it does go down as a missed fairway just as a ball in the woods does. So it isn't like putts is misleading compared to the others. They all can be misleading. FIR can be even more misleading in my opinion.

If I were doing some sort of putting stat I would basically keep my % on the money putts. I would just keep my ? for ? on putts from 6 to 15 feet.

If you hit zero greens you should have less than 32 putts unless you can't putt. Unless you are not even close to the green when you are missing it.

Just as it may be a lot harder to make putts if you are hitting greens, it is much easier to 1 putt if you are missing greens and have a little pitch up to the hole.

GIR and FIR can be misleading as well. You put it 2 inches onto the green with a back pin and it goes down as a GIR just as if you stuck it. You miss a fairway and into the first cut of rough, not much if any bit of a penalty...it does go down as a missed fairway just as a ball in the woods does. So it isn't like putts is misleading compared to the others. They all can be misleading. FIR can be even more misleading in my opinion.

If I were doing some sort of putting stat I would basically keep my % on the money putts. I would just keep my ? for ? on putts from 6 to 15 feet.

32 putts was possibly too big a number to choose but not all missed greens are being missed by 5 feet, leaving an easy chip and 1 putt. Some greens are missed by taking a penalty shot, having to lay up short of trouble or chipping out of trouble which often leads a full shot into a green for birdie and a subsequent 15+ footer for par. Basically, the hole plays like normal with that extra shot thrown in there somewhere back down the fairway.

also, we have to assume that the average golfer who takes the game seriously is still not an amazing wedge player. You won't be placing every chip/pitch/flop 5 feet from the hole, nor will the average golfer be making every 5 foot putt. then there are bunker shots to account for.

you are correct that GIR can sometimes be misleading, however by and large someone who averages 2 putts per hole is still going to shoot very very well if they have a high % of greens in regulation. For every GIR that ends up 40 feet away and results in a 3 putt, there will likely be a solid birdie chance of 10 feet in.

FIR can be more misleading because it is very subject to the design of the course you are playing. A wide open course will still allow for great scores with a low number of fairways hit. It is also subject to how far you hit the ball. Just look at the PGA tour where certain bombers can overpower a course and take some trouble out of play. But I would say that on a normal course with a normal amount of trouble off the fairways, the more you can begin to put the ball in the short grass off the tee, the easier your round will become

I agree that putts are one of the lesser stats when looked at in a vacuum. Simply because the more greens you hit in regulation, the tougher your putts will be. That said if I hit 18 GIR then 39 putts is way too many.

But the stats have me excited. My focus is GIR. I read a golf digest article back in the day that stuck with me. The "aha" thoughts being:

"Most golfers think putting is the biggest factor in scoring, but greens in regulation (GIRs) are much more important. So important, you almost don't need to look at anything else to predict your score. The most useful score-analysis tool I've developed, called "Riccio's Rule" and first published in Golf Digest in 1987, predicts score based on GIRs: Score = 95 – 2 x GIRs. The chart below, based on this rule, shows how GIRs relate to score:

Here's a quick way to remember the effect of GIRs on your score: "Three greens break 90, eight greens break 80, and 13 greens break 70." That prediction is fairly accurate for any single round, and within one stroke about 90 percent of the time when you take the average of four or more rounds."

GIR. I plan to attack this season with renewed vigor, and GIR shall be my obsession.

yes, i have long been of the belief that GIR is far and away the most important stat. You don't need to be a lights out putter to shoot consistently in the 70's if you can hit a high % of Greens in Regulation.

Where I really really focked myself was with the short game. My scrambling stats were 1/11. I normally consider scrambling to be the strength of my game. Why so bad today? 39 focking putts. That's why. :wall: Number of putts is the one stat I always have kept. Usually I come in right around 32-33, and on occasion I have gotten into the 27-29 range. The highlight of my day was a short par 3. 106 yards and I stick an approach wedge to 2 feet. The lowlight of the day was the ensuing three putt from 2 feet.

Played with a guy yesterday (60 years old) who has one of the most ridiculous short games I've ever seen. His swing is crap, plays a low running hook, and he struggles to hit a 5-iron 160 yards. But man can putt and man can he get up and down from anywhere. I hit 8 greens and shot 75, he hit 4 greens and shot 73. :huh:

Played with a guy yesterday (60 years old) who has one of the most ridiculous short games I've ever seen. His swing is crap, plays a low running hook, and he struggles to hit a 5-iron 160 yards. But man can putt and man can he get up and down from anywhere. I only hit 8 greens and shot 75, he hit 4 greens and shot 73. :huh:

Why I value putting more than anything and always will. I have seen far too many old guys maintain a 5 or 6 handicap, yet have trouble reaching some of the par 4s in 2. You stick a 2nd shot, you still have to make the putt. You go OB and have a long putt for bogey, you can still make it and not blow up a hole. I'm an aggressive putter who tries to make everything. My 6 feet and in putting is so good that I am able to attack long putts without care. Confidence is basically the whole shabang when it comes to putting. If you are confident, the hole looks like a bucket. When you aren't, it is hard to even see it. I routinely bury a couple a 25 footers a round because I try to get everything to the hole and give it a chance.

To me pitching and putting is far more important than the rest of the game. You can improve that part of your game so much at any skill level. You can always add a couple more yards here or there....but how far you hit the ball isn't going to improve dramatically once you reach a certain point.

Some guys are machines with the long clubs as well though. They are right down the center almost every time and then easily hit nice 7, 8, 9, PWs at the green every time. It depends on your skills level I guess. If you are a 30 handicap you are probably wasting a lot of shots on offline shots or straight miss-hits. So I can see why beginners spend more time with their long game.

So I can see why beginners spend more time with their long game.

True on many parts.... But the real reason so many beginners and higher handicap players spend more time on their long game is bcoz it is flat out more fun to them, plain and simple. To them putting and chipping is a huge bore and not at all exciting. These are the same people that would rather chase after and watch John Daly blast drivers on the range than sit at the putting green and watch the Brian Gay's of the world work on their short games.

True on many parts.... But the real reason so many beginners and higher handicap players spend more time on their long game is bcoz it is flat out more fun to them, plain and simple. To them putting and chipping is a huge bore and not at all exciting. These are the same people that would rather chase after and watch John Daly blast drivers on the range than sit at the putting green and watch the Brian Gay's of the world work on their short games.

Agreed.

But from a "what willl help them most" stand point, it is probably correct. I have seen some bad putters in my day, but I have seen far worse swings/contact/direction/distance control that pile on duffs and penalty shots. Where they goo wrong is heading to the range by themselves just swinging away and not having someone who is better, tell them what they may be doing wrong. When you first start and if you want to get better, you need to either get lessons or ask someone who is much better if they would help you out. Pretty much impossible to accomplish by your own 36+ handicap knowledge.

Not sure what I would tell someone to work on first. Work on it all is probably the best advice.

As for the topic of what I do stat wise for my game. Nothing really. I will routinely go back in by head later that day or the next and try to remember every shot I took out there, and just think about the shots that hurt my score the most. Where I could have easily hit a less aggressive shot and saved an easy stroke or 2. I battle to weed out as many bad plays I make in a typical round each summer more so than specific swing changes. Sometimes I will jot down my putts. I play my best rounds when I don't have a care in the world and have no swing thoughts at all. If I'm writing down all these figures or plugging them into a phone I would probably play like ass.

To me pitching and putting is far more important than the rest of the game. You can improve that part of your game so much at any skill level. You can always add a couple more yards here or there....but how far you hit the ball isn't going to improve dramatically once you reach a certain point.

when i talk about improving your FIR and GIR, im not talking at all about adding distance. It's all about accuracy.

i would also never say to ignore the short game. The fact is, you need it all. If you three putt left and right, hitting greens in regulation isn't going to do you any good. In terms of practice, you should be spending twice as much time on your short game than your long game.

But when we are talking strictly about statisics in golf, not practice time or anything else, i maintain that GIR is more important and less misleading than total putts.

when i talk about improving your FIR and GIR, im not talking at all about adding distance. It's all about accuracy.

i would also never say to ignore the short game. The fact is, you need it all. If you three putt left and right, hitting greens in regulation isn't going to do you any good. In terms of practice, you should be spending twice as much time on your short game than your long game.

But when we are talking strictly about statisics in golf, not practice time or anything else, i maintain that GIR is more important and less misleading than total putts.

I wasn't really infering that you were talking anything about total distance. Just that everyone reaches a point when they just aren't going to hit it much further on average. And you can always get better putting and chipping. Distance has a good deal to do with GIR. The longer and obviously straighter you hit it, theoretically it should be easier to hit more greens. As see on the PGA tour, A lot of guys tops in GIR aren't exactly deadly accurate. They hit it far and hit wedge from the rough when accurate guy is hitting a 7 iron 50 yards back. So GIR has a lot to do with accuracy, but also with distance.

GIR is probably less misleading than the others. I would say FIR is more misleading than putting though. GIR is a lot less misleading on the Tour. More so for your regular golfer. In my opinion.

I don't see how anyone can argue that GIR is anywhere near as misleading as putts. There really isn't anyway to skew a green in regulation. Whereas you can get lucky and chip in twice and throw your putting stats off completely. Not to mention, the better you hit your irons, the more putts you'll generally have. And when off the green, are you chipping to 15 feet or to 3 feet? Putts are extremely unreliable as they are mostly dependent on other factors.

I like the idea of keeping track of money putts. Something like those in the 4-15 feet range.

Fairways, yeah that's a somewhat silly stat for our level of player. For my personal use, I could care less about first cuts and whatnot. If I put my drive between all the trouble and don't have anything obstructing my next shot, it's a Fairway hit. In general, I want to keep track of fairways hit so that I can figure out how to improve my GIR. Is it poor driver play, or poor iron play costing me GIR?

I wasn't really infering that you were talking anything about total distance. Just that everyone reaches a point when they just aren't going to hit it much further on average. And you can always get better putting and chipping. Distance has a good deal to do with GIR. The longer and obviously straighter you hit it, theoretically it should be easier to hit more greens. As see on the PGA tour, A lot of guys tops in GIR aren't exactly deadly accurate. They hit it far and hit wedge from the rough when accurate guy is hitting a 7 iron 50 yards back. So GIR has a lot to do with accuracy, but also with distance.

GIR is probably less misleading than the others. I would say FIR is more misleading than putting though. GIR is a lot less misleading on the Tour. More so for your regular golfer. In my opinion.

2 points i would disagree on.

well one is not so much disagreeing but clarifying. If you're trying to improve your FIR and GIR then it is very much about accuracy over distance. Hitting the ball further and giving yourself a shorter iron into greens is great but if you put the ball in the rough all the time it will become harder to hit the green unless your playing very easy tracks where the rough is not a penalty.

the one i disagree on is that GIR is more misleading for your average golfer than it is on tour. I think GIR is probably more misleading on tour for the very reasons you mentioned. You can have the big bombers putting it intot he rough but having just a wedge to the green. Your average golfer is not as good out of the rough with their short irons and is also not getting as much of a distance advantage as those tour pros. Your weekend golfer hitting the ball as far as he can and not worrying about keeping it in the fairway is going to find more trouble off the tee and more penalty shots or penalizing conditions than a bomber tour pro.

Not sure what I would tell someone to work on first. Work on it all is probably the best advice.

Been playing for 33 years now, working with people the last 15 of that. I borrow a page from Harvey Pennick the first time out with someone. We take a 7 iron and some tees, that's it. I place one tee where the ball is and another a few inches in front of that one - we work on developing the most natural swing they can produce that allows them to first strike the first tee, then clip the second in the follow thru. Harvey wrote it was more of a drill he used for women bcoz they were more inherently unwilling to go down in and thru the turf - but it works great in establishing the most basic and essential skills in hitting the golf ball well for anyone.... The first time we go to the putting green, once again, we take no clubs - just a few balls. We set up around the green and I have them pitch and toss the balls to selected targets. Once the visual and feel of what the ball looks like getting to the hole sinks in, then they are ready to make the ball do the same thing with a golf club: same tragectory, same pace, except with a club. It's amazing - around the green you ask someone to get a golf ball as close as they can to a hole and they toss it, low as possible to the green, and it rolls up to the target. Yet you ask many of these same people to do it with a club and they want to grab a lob wedge and Mickelson flop it up there. The same flight and pace you would use to toss it by hand is what you want with a club - it's the most natural, it's the most instinctive, it's the most relaiable way to do it.

Downloaded the golflogix app. Looks good. A bit heavy on the clutter trying to get you to upgrade to the pay version but once u get past that its a nice app.

Free version gives u handicap tracking, all stat tracking and gps to the center of the greens with overhead hole views.

I agree that GIR is by far the most telling stat. If you are hitting greens, you are playing well, period. You can miss a fairway and still have no trouble coming into the green, as long as there are not obstacles in your way. Sometimes a little rough is even beneficial for the weekend player, gives you a little fluff under the ball. Putts can be totally misleading as previously stated, as if you are missing lots of greens and sometimes are just off, you can usually get it fairly close and at most 2 putt. Mix in a couple of 1 putts and that number gets skewed. A good stat would be average putts per GIR.

I agree that GIR is by far the most telling stat. If you are hitting greens, you are playing well, period. You can miss a fairway and still have no trouble coming into the green, as long as there are not obstacles in your way. Sometimes a little rough is even beneficial for the weekend player, gives you a little fluff under the ball. Putts can be totally misleading as previously stated, as if you are missing lots of greens and sometimes are just off, you can usually get it fairly close and at most 2 putt. Mix in a couple of 1 putts and that number gets skewed. A good stat would be average putts per GIR.

outside of 8-10 ft 2 putting is the goal, just get the ball into the bucket... The more GIR you hit, the longer on average your first putt is going to be... Your # of putts should go up as you get better and hit more greens...

The more you send your approach into the greenside rough obv the closer to the hole your chip is going to be versus if you hit the GIR...

outside of 8-10 ft 2 putting is the goal, just get the ball into the bucket... The more GIR you hit, the longer on average your first putt is going to be... Your # of putts should go up as you get better and hit more greens...

The more you send your approach into the greenside rough obv the closer to the hole your chip is going to be versus if you hit the GIR...

Not the way that I play. :unsure:

Got to play a new course today. Tangle Ridge (I post course names for Cruzer's benefit). It was the balls. Can't say I've enjoyed a course more anytime recently. Normally it's about $75 on a weekend, but we had coupons and got to play it for $30.

I put up an 87, which wasnt too bad in 30 mph winds. I'm making some major swing changes and really feel like I'm on the cusp of something big. My good shots are being struck better than my good shots ever have before. And the swing feels simple as oppose to timing oriented. I just don't quite have the faith yet to put it all together for 18 holes. And admittedly, I'm so focused on my full shots that I'm not getting it done with my wedges right now.

Stats wise, I hit 10/14 fairways with my driver and hybrid. Wide fairways so it's not as amazing as it sounds, but nonetheless I can't do it much better off the tee. I only hit 6 greens though, 5 of which came on the backside. I was striking the ball well, and as I said earlier, I hit 3 irons today that were as majestic feeling as any iron shot I've ever hit. But I had some trouble committing to the swing. I've got to get more consistent there.

But yeah, I really feel like I'm on the cusp of making a jump. It's actually got me considering if I should try and hit the range once a week for the next couple of months. I really feel like if I were 25 years old and without child, as oppose to 35 with a daughter, I could get myself into single digits.

Got to play a new course today. Tangle Ridge (I post course names for Cruzer's benefit). It was the balls. Can't say I've enjoyed a course more anytime recently. Normally it's about $75 on a weekend, but we had coupons and got to play it for $30.

I have only played TR twice, but from what I remember - it was a really solid track with great views. I almost missed my tee time the very first time bcoz it was hard as hell to find - least it was to my dumbass..... And that's really good to hear about you getting closer to matching your new clubs to your new swing - next thing you know you will be breaking 80 on a regular basis...... I can't remember if you said you go there or not, but do you ever go to Leonard's to practice? It's one of the finest driving ranges anywhere - and once the time changes they stay open until 10 p.m.

I have only played TR twice, but from what I remember - it was a really solid track with great views. I almost missed my tee time the very first time bcoz it was hard as hell to find - least it was to my dumbass..... And that's really good to hear about you getting closer to matching your new clubs to your new swing - next thing you know you will be breaking 80 on a regular basis...... I can't remember if you said you go there or not, but do you ever go to Leonard's to practice? It's one of the finest driving ranges anywhere - and once the time changes they stay open until 10 p.m.

When I manage to practice, if it's just a quick bucket I will head to Fossil Creek simply due to it being a block from my place. But if I'm actually looking to spend some time and put in some quality practice, Leonard's is always my top choice. It's an amazing complex. :thumbsup:

Golf trip in less than 3 weeks. :banana:

As long as I don't black out by 3pm, I'm taking all these foo's monies. :banana:

I am not one to change drivers just for the sake of changing - have been playing my G10 for about 2 years now and love it. But I hit my buddies Rocketballz a few times this weekend and I may have to give it a try. This thing really launches the ball - seemed extremely hot off the face and appeared to really roll out more than my Ping. Anyone play a Rocketballz driver?

I am not one to change drivers just for the sake of changing - have been playing my G10 for about 2 years now and love it. But I hit my buddies Rocketballz a few times this weekend and I may have to give it a try. This thing really launches the ball - seemed extremely hot off the face and appeared to really roll out more than my Ping. Anyone play a Rocketballz driver?

I have maybe 3 guys I know and golf with a few times a year that got a RBZ. Most don't like it. They say it does seem to jump off the face a bit more, but for some reason or another they weren't thrilled with the purchase. 1 guy was trying to sell it at the end of last year. I tried one of theirs for maybe 9 holes. I mean it probably wasn't set up perfect for me, but I was hitting flyers. Wasn't on any abnormal setting, and my actual driver isn't some tricked out, super draw club. But I would make real good contact with it, but the ball flight was way too high. Could be the kick point, and I really didn't look into it or remember what exactly it was because it wasn't my club. But I wasn't that impressed. Not sure if I could ever use a ghey white driver either.

I'm not a club changer or hobbiest. I may buy a vokey every year or every other year. But I won't change my putter for anything, I do feel I started the trend of the super stroke grip though :headbanger: . My irons are the titleist 762s and are fairly old but still in great shape...won't change those as I love them. Not a hybrid guy at all as I can hit a 3 and 4 iron surprisingly well. I have been in the market for a Driver for a bit now but can't seem to find one I like enough. I still use a titleist 983k. Terribly old technology, but the club is solid. When I get a big frying pan of a club in my hand, it feels like I have so much less control. Can't shape the ball at all. I realize soon I need to turn to the darkside because technology is passing me by there. And these crap golfers seem to make driving look easy with their monster truck drivers that literally do all the work for them.

Played with our Nike rep this weekend too - hit the new Nike Covert driver. Omg, what a horrible sounding club this is. It has a unique look to it for sure - but gawd it sucks, least it's not for me or any of my buddies. Of course he's a plus 2 and made that sumbiatch dance and sing - but he could do that with a broomstick too if you gave it to him.

Nike drivers and nike clubs in general are the worst in my eyes. Never appealed to me. Sound weird. The one year they looked way too out there.

I like fairly traditional looking clubs. Can't stand big oversized irons. Hate mallet putters or long putters. They focking came out with a 3 ball putter one year that would take up your whole bag. Can't stand the gimmicks.